As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First Year PAX

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This'll be my first PAX. I had passes last year, but wasn't able to get the time off of work. Not my first convention though, I went to ECCC earlier this year and have been to SDCC in the past.

I'll be driving/taking the ferry daily from Bremerton during the expo and will bribe a ride to anybody that shows up to play heroclix at Comics Keep on Sundays. ;)

Clix on
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mspencer wrote:
    I agree with what others have said: it's a larger problem finding room in your luggage than having a bag to carry things with. I'd definitely bring a backpack instead of a messenger bag, if you can.

Also where in Nebraska? Omaha area? Lincoln area? Elsewhere?

Yeah, I made sure to get plane tickets that allowed for two check-in bags. One will be empty on the way there. Haha.

And I'm from West Omaha, but I live in Lincoln for school right now.

lemongrenades on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I do have a question for vets that may have been covered in the last 8 pages of this thread that you'll have to forgive me for not reading in their entirety.
    SWAG
    Is there so much that I need to have a dedicated bag just for it aside from my messenger bag?
    Is there just enough to make we want a backpack or larger Messenger bag?

I'm sure that I am in the minority with this, but after going to six years of E3, and now three years of PAX shows (PAXii?), how to transport swag is the lowest thing on my agenda. I recently moved and literally had 25 pounds of "swag" that got dumped in the bin. Countless black promotional teeshirts from games that sounded great at the time, but didn't do so well in reality, posters, stickers, keychains, flashlights, little dolls, booklets and even the a stack of demo/beta CDs.

Having said that, I do still have a VERY small selection of swag that I kept. Things like the promotional coke can from Lineage, the original Guild Wars beta client (on a 256k USB drive), a t-shirt from Half Life 2, the figurine from the Aion release party, etc.

If it isn't something that I'm going to use or enjoy on a daily basis, I don't want it taking up space.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • macbittmacbitt Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Stupid wrote: »
    If it isn't something that I'm going to use or enjoy on a daily basis, I don't want it taking up space.

I with you on this. I've had my share of move dumps which included old con swag. Nowadays I tend to clean out the con swag bag at the hotel and am a picker as to what I pick up at booths.

This year I expect to be a bit less picky as I wouldn't mind bringing home some swag for friends who can't go to PAX. I guess I should have my messenger bag with me since holding even one t-shirt by hand all day would be annoying. I'll probably also still pack a compact, foldable duffle bag I use for things like Christmas trips when I expect to have more stuff to bring back.

macbitt on
  • shilohwaltzshilohwaltz Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    First year PAXer & first time visiting Seattle so my cup runneth over-eth! I always hate making concrete plans for any type of trip but it sounds like I better switch gears and start making some loose plans to make sure I can in to some events. Any advice on certain timeslots to leave open for big events on fri/sat/sun as the schedule is still a bit away from being posted?

PS: Oh, and I'm a PAX forum noob as well...so be gentle:winky:

shilohwaltz on
    ....but the guild status outfit makes me look like a dutch schoolboy with no lunchmoney!
  • CrendelCrendel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    First year PAXer & first time visiting Seattle so my cup runneth over-eth! I always hate making concrete plans for any type of trip but it sounds like I better switch gears and start making some loose plans to make sure I can in to some events. Any advice on certain timeslots to leave open for big events on fri/sat/sun as the schedule is still a bit away from being posted?

PS: Oh, and I'm a PAX forum noob as well...so be gentle:winky:

The schedule should be posted here in the next two weeks or so (hopefully). Last year was my first PAX and my friend and I looked over the schedule and prioritized certain panels/shows/sessions so that we could see as much as possible.

I don't know if there will be another this year, but last year there was an unofficial PAX application for the iPhone that had the floor plan as well as the schedule built in. It was very handy when we got to a certain event and found out it was full or the line was too long.

Crendel on
    Geek Hybrid - I like video games and being outside!
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hello, here's a newbie from Spain. I'm crossing the Atlantic -and- the US to get to PAX. It's my first year and I'm...uh...excited, definetly. Also NERVOUS AS HELL.
    I just don't know anybody in hundreds of miles around there! Well, not personally. I'm a regular at the PA Ventrilo (mostly for LoL), and i'm definetly a twitter shitter.

I guess I want to do pretty much everything. Have geekgasms with the games. Go to the concerts. Meet famous gamers. Oh, and party, definetly. Party hard! ^__^

That's about it, for now.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • mahhkkmahhkk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MarySue wrote: »
    First time PAX'r here. Just wanted to say hi. I'm getting the message "dont' be shy," but are there any other hidden gems to offer someone going alone? I'll be honest, I'm quite intimidated by going alone.

I'm going alone, too, and it's my first time. I'll hold your hand if you hold mine, we can jump in the nerd pool together!

Me too! I've been to PAX East with friends, but my friend bailed on me for PAX Prime. So... I'm setting off by myself! Good to know there are others in the same boat... I just hope I can connect with some of you! :)

mahhkk on
    Mark Nolan
    Editor, GameKiq.com

XBLA: shattered aura
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mahhkk wrote: »
    MarySue wrote: »
    First time PAX'r here. Just wanted to say hi. I'm getting the message "dont' be shy," but are there any other hidden gems to offer someone going alone? I'll be honest, I'm quite intimidated by going alone.

I'm going alone, too, and it's my first time. I'll hold your hand if you hold mine, we can jump in the nerd pool together!

Me too! I've been to PAX East with friends, but my friend bailed on me for PAX Prime. So... I'm setting off by myself! Good to know there are others in the same boat... I just hope I can connect with some of you! :)

I will be there alone as well.

Well, as alone as you can be around all those people!

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • MistyHideMistyHide Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This will be my first year at PAX and i cant wait, im going for my birthday and i know it's going to be a great time. With it being my birthday on the 4th of sept i have friends coming with me but i want to know how to make new friends at PAX. So help me out how do i make new friends to go drinking with during PAX? i know a lot of people have asked this but i want to hang with people outside of PAX prime as well. it's my birthday and what better people to party with than PAX people lol.

MistyHide on
  • KnifeySpoonyKnifeySpoony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Before PAX last year I printed out a list of all of the panels and events, with their locations and times that my friends and I were interested in.

It worked out really nicely and I'll be doing it again. There are so many things to do to keep busy that having it organized helps.

edit: I also had a list of places I researched to eat, I think only one of which we actually had time to go to.

KnifeySpoony on
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been reading this thread for weeks and I forgot to post on it? Good grief!

OK, my first year going too. But I'm trying to get involved in as many events as I think I can handle since this is the first big event I'm going to without hubby. (Who will expect MANY tweets and updates from me as he's stuck working in Ethiopia. :P ) I'm going to the PPD, BYOC, and Girls' Meetup and I'm buttoneering. :D

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MistyHide wrote: »
    This will be my first year at PAX and i cant wait, im going for my birthday and i know it's going to be a great time. With it being my birthday on the 4th of sept i have friends coming with me but i want to know how to make new friends at PAX. So help me out how do i make new friends to go drinking with during PAX? i know a lot of people have asked this but i want to hang with people outside of PAX prime as well. it's my birthday and what better people to party with than PAX people lol.

I would say the best place to meet drinking buddies would be at the Triwizard Drinking Tournament the night before PAX. Unless you mean the the fourth is your twenty-first birthday. Because that may present a problem getting to go on the pub crawl.

lemongrenades on
  • pedal2000pedal2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any good places to find a map of where PAX is? I went to Boston and we got lost our first day, spent a good hour wandering even though we ended up being a less than a mile from where we were suppose to be.

pedal2000 on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

My birthday is on the day of the triwizard crawl (turning 22), so that's always a good option. It was pretty fantastic last year, and there will probably be about 300 friends for you to make there. This would of course be a problem if the 4th is your 21st.

Wormdundee on
    edited August 2010
    pedal2000 wrote: »
    Any good places to find a map of where PAX is? I went to Boston and we got lost our first day, spent a good hour wandering even though we ended up being a less than a mile from where we were suppose to be.

Map with some locations marked.

I can't remember which thread it was from. D:

KnifeySpoony on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Since Seattle streets weren't laid out along the paths of drunken cows, it will be much easier to find your way around than Boston was.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • nkatarownkatarow Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Hey all!

Long time PA follower, first time forum poster and PAX attendee!

I actually just moved to Seattle from Milwaukee in March, and absolutely love this city. Being here not only has encouraged me to embrace the nerd/gaming community, but is also allowing me to attend PAX as well!

I have a friend or two that may be going one day, but I'll most likely be cruising the convention on my own most of the time. I look forward to meeting "the family" and hopefully meet some fellow Seattlites!

Cheers!
    -Nick

nkatarow on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

That map is incorrect - the convention center is on Pike, not Union, as is the extra conference hall. Here it is on Google Maps - you know you're there because the street is covered by a glass "umbrella":

Washington State Convention Center

And here's Benaroya Hall, where the Main Theater is (keynote speech, concerts are there among other things)

Dreamwriter on
    edited August 2010

That map is incorrect - the convention center is on Pike, not Union, as is the extra conference hall. Here it is on Google Maps - you know you're there because the street is covered by a glass "umbrella":

And here's Benaroya Hall, where the Main Theater is (keynote speech, concerts are there among other things)

The pins are definitely misleading as they aren't on the side of the block they should be, but definitely good to point out to those who don't know. I hadn't noticed until now.

The only marking I was paying attention to was the Red Lion Hotel since we decided to go with that instead of the Sheraton this year.

KnifeySpoony on
  • XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey everyone, this will be my first PAX! Will be heading up there with a friend who went last year. Should be pretty cool. I imagine DQIX will be pretty big this year up there. Still hoping to score a Saturday ticket, but so far happy with the Friday/Sunday one :)

Xarthan on
  • bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Word of advice: If you have your ring tone set as the codec sound from MGS, change it. When your phone rings, I can guarantee that five others around you will check their phones.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • MistyHideMistyHide Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I would say the best place to meet drinking buddies would be at the Triwizard Drinking Tournament the night before PAX. Unless you mean the the fourth is your twenty-first birthday. Because that may present a problem getting to go on the pub crawl.

no it's not my 21st so i will be just fine lol. thanks

MistyHide on
  • Michael ReginaMichael Regina Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Hi all,

I just got word that I will be attending PAX Seattle with the folks from WB Games, I really hope to see you all there! Once I get my schedule setup I'll be able to plot some free time to get together with fans of WB's "War in the North".

More news soon, cheers!

Michael Regina on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

The pins are definitely misleading as they aren't on the side of the block they should be, but definitely good to point out to those who don't know. I hadn't noticed until now.

The only marking I was paying attention to was the Red Lion Hotel since we decided to go with that instead of the Sheraton this year.

Here's another view. Sheraton and WSCC. I stayed at the Sheraton the past three years I went. To get from the Sheraton to PAX, I exit the door that's right in front of the street view camera linked there. Click and drag your mouse to the right, panning your view to the left. That sidewalk goes in front of the Daily Grill, then you cross the street, and right there is the WSCC.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • TukimoshiTukimoshi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone know how to get to PAX from the Quality Inn & Suites hotel nearby?

I have a vehicle if it's not far, but I'd prefer to walk TBH. Exercise is good, and I'm sure traffic is horrible in Seattle, especially around PAX time.

Tukimoshi on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Word of advice: If you have your ring tone set as the codec sound from MGS, change it. When your phone rings, I can guarantee that five others around you will check their phones.

Mine for text messages is set to the "!" sound.

And my ringtone is Keyboard Cat, which I imagine will get some laughs.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tukimoshi wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get to PAX from the Quality Inn & Suites hotel nearby?

I have a vehicle if it's not far, but I'd prefer to walk TBH. Exercise is good, and I'm sure traffic is horrible in Seattle, especially around PAX time.
    It's a good thing you like walking :) From what I can tell, that hotel is right by Seattle Center. That gives you two options - first off, the Monorail - head to the Seattle Center (just walk towards the Space Needle). You can grab the Monorail there, watch for the big cement tracks overhead and follow them into the Seattle Center to where they end. That takes you to Westlake Center mall on Pine street, head one block over to Pike, hang a left and go two blocks and you're there.

Option 2, walking! Get on 6th avenue (runs right by your hotel) and head away from the Seattle Center. Keep going until you hit Pike, hang a left and go one block and you're there (Option 2 is about a mile overall).

Dreamwriter on
  • RazonRazon Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Hello there everyone. This will be my first year attending PAX, though I've been watching it from afar from around the time it started. It will also be my first real attendance to a gaming convention so I'm sure it will be exciting.

I do have a question for the veterans out there. I'm driving up to Seattle from down near Portland, and only going to be attending on Friday. I saw that convention center parking is available, but to use said parking to you need to present your PAX pass, or leave anything on the dashboard of the car outside of what ticket you may get from the parking garage people? It would also be helpful to know if there will be any hourly fee for parking there so I can plan accordingly.

Razon on
  • StarDancinStarDancin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hi! This is my first post, and this year will be my first year attending PAX! My hubby and best friend are going with me-my best friend went last year....but I'm getting SO excited! Thanks for all the tips, and good advice in this thread! It's much appreciated!

StarDancin on
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Razon wrote: »
    Hello there everyone. This will be my first year attending PAX, though I've been watching it from afar from around the time it started. It will also be my first real attendance to a gaming convention so I'm sure it will be exciting.

I do have a question for the veterans out there. I'm driving up to Seattle from down near Portland, and only going to be attending on Friday. I saw that convention center parking is available, but to use said parking to you need to present your PAX pass, or leave anything on the dashboard of the car outside of what ticket you may get from the parking garage people? It would also be helpful to know if there will be any hourly fee for parking there so I can plan accordingly.

The convention center parking garage has nothing to do with PAX (anyone can park there, no need for a PAX pass or etc.) If memory serves it's about $30 for the day and while it closes at midnight, there are payment kiosks and access from inside the convention center (so there shouldn't be any problem if you stay to watch the concerts.)

Street parking is probably cheaper, but good luck finding it.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Sgt SupermanSgt Superman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This is my first year for Pax as well, but I have attended plenty of events in the Seattle area and have forked over plenty of money to park in garages.
    Since you are only attending Friday I would recommend taking the light rail up.

Here is the map: http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Sound-Transit/Schedules-and-Facilities/Central-Link-Light-Rail.xml#map

Just park at the Tukwila station (Free parking, but limited to 24 hours) and pay $2.50 (one way). Get off at the Westlake stop and you will only have to walk about 4 blocks.

Its about a half hour ride, which is longer than driving (if there is no traffic) but you will be saving a little money, saving a little hassle (not having to drive in downtown seattle), helping out mother earth a little bit, and you will probably meet other people on their way to Pax as well.

I am only going on Saturday and I will be doing this exact same thing.

Sgt Superman on
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    With the light rail keep in mind that if you stay until the end of the concerts you'll miss the last train.

faits on
    faits.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This is my first year for Pax as well, but I have attended plenty of events in the Seattle area and have forked over plenty of money to park in garages.
    Since you are only attending Friday I would recommend taking the light rail up.

Here is the map: http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Sound-Transit/Schedules-and-Facilities/Central-Link-Light-Rail.xml#map

Just park at the Tukwila station (Free parking, but limited to 24 hours) and pay $2.50 (one way). Get off at the Westlake stop and you will only have to walk about 4 blocks.

Its about a half hour ride, which is longer than driving (if there is no traffic) but you will be saving a little money, saving a little hassle (not having to drive in downtown seattle), helping out mother earth a little bit, and you will probably meet other people on their way to Pax as well.

I am only going on Saturday and I will be doing this exact same thing.

Highly recommend this. Even if driving is marginally faster than the light rail, honestly you'll eat up half your savings in finding parking. That, or you'll pay more for parking than you paid for the damn PAX badge (exaggerating, but not by much).
    With the light rail keep in mind that if you stay until the end of the concerts you'll miss the last train.

Yup, definitely a consideration. If you're not planning on crashing somewhere overnight, this severely limits you. I run into the same issue when taking the ferry over...we damn near missed the last one last year.

mcdermott on
  • bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

My ring tone is the Dragon Zord summon tune. It's nice, loud and always gets my attention.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

My ring tone is the Dragon Zord summon tune. It's nice, loud and always gets my attention.

My text alert (just got it) is the Sega Rally Game Over clip Makes me enjoy getting text messages much more. :lol:

KnifeySpoony on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The best thing about PAX:

Being able use gaming as a smalltalk/ice breaker subject and not have people look at you like you're an idiot.

Also: Random encounters with people from the industry while out and about. I ran into the MtG team from Wizards of the Coast at a coffee shop last year, as well as the guy from APE Games (who made the Order of the Stick game) while getting dinner.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited August 2010
    jonxp wrote: »
    The best thing about PAX:

Being able use gaming as a smalltalk/ice breaker subject and not have people look at you like you're an idiot.

Also: Random encounters with people from the industry while out and about. I ran into the MtG team from Wizards of the Coast at a coffee shop last year, as well as the guy from APE Games (who made the Order of the Stick game) while getting dinner.

Absolutely! I only have video game talks with two friends, who I go to PAX with. Our first year (08) I was completely overwhelmed with how awesome an atmosphere it is. Without getting too emotional, it was one of the closest things to nirvana I've experienced.

It had such an impact that it is a yearly pilgrimage for us now. :mrgreen:

KnifeySpoony on
  • Baka AlBaka Al Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As this will be my second PAX (first prime, attended PAX East this year), I thought 'd throw my two pence in on this thread.

To those people worrying about going Solo, don't! I flew in to Boston alone (from England) and had an absolute blast there, despite being involved in a major accident within a day of arriving which left me with broken ribs and busted both shoulders.. which should have ended the trip, but everyone I met at PAX east was amazingly helpful and supportive for the whole 3 days, from enforcers helping me through crowds to random people helping me dig through my bag for random things..
    There is honestly nothing to worry about doing this alone.. cos as has been said before, you're never alone here.. you are with friends you just haven't been formally introduced to yet!:lol:

And in regards to the question concerning prescription drugs, I was walking around PAX East with prescription painkillers and never had a problem from anyone about them..(granted these where in a prescription bottle, so I'd advise keeping them in that to be safe)

In regards to the bag/backpack question.. I was rocking the Bag of Holding V2 messenger bag from ThinkGeek, and that got insanely crammed through swag/merchandise (gotta love the behemoth's castle crasher figs) on the satiurday.. So unless you bring a hiking bag be prepared to be using a carrier bag at some point during the con if you're acting like a kleptomanic magpie!

Baka Al on
  • AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    THere is also a fedex downstairs in the convention center so you can ship your load of swag home instead of carrying it around the event and on the airplane. I shipped a massive box of stuff for about 25 bux last year.

Avid on
This discussion has been closed.