As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kick-Ass: Mostly aptly named film since Superbad

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Also another part of the song appears in Nightvision, the track just before Strobe, its really an excellent piece/scene, much improved on the comic version.

DarkWarrior on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woah, that shit me up when it kicked in :lol:
    It's a more comic-y version for sure, awesome all the same. Plus Marshmallow is the same thing too. Fuck, this is one awesome album.

edit: Fuck so is Flying Home. Jeez. I haven't bought an album or any music for that matter in years and this I pick up for a tad under £8. Best. Purchase. Ever. God, I'm not even a music person. Like at all.

Big Classy on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did not expect this to have a great OST. Like, at all. Going in my collection.

Warcry on
  • DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Got a pic infront of the Red Mist Mustang the other week. So awesome that we have a silly little film studio in town.

I kinda wish I knew what happened to it, it dissapeared a while ago. If I had a decent paying job I would of wandered round and made an offer on it. In the mean time I can waste my low reserves of cash pre ordering the Blu Ray and counting down the days.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    The movie came out today. The bluray looks fantastic, though I'm a little disappointed to see the 18 minutes of extra film didn't get put in.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The movie came out today. The bluray looks fantastic, though I'm a little disappointed to see the 18 minutes of extra film didn't get put in.

What kind of special features did make it in? Assuming it's more then just the just the movie...

see317 on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    see317 wrote: »

What kind of special features did make it in? Assuming it's more then just the just the movie...

There's a good commentary by the Director, Vaughn, and a making of the comic that has Millar, Romita Jr, the inker, and the colorist talking about what they did.

Magell on
    edited August 2010
    Still watching it at the moment. I'll take a look at the special features as soon as it's done.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Okay, it's all pretty typical stuff you'd expect on any given movie. Making Of. Commentary. Comic book stuff. Art gallery. The only thing different is a commentary mode where the movie is interspersed with shots of the production.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The making of is like 2 hours long but its really good. I had to turn it off after an hour and I checked how much more was left and I was like wow.

Still like the movie a lot though.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Loved this movie, gonna have to see it again soon.

Yann on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I think the deconstruction could have persisted had Hit-Girl been excised. Kick-Ass's YouTube inspires a rather unstable vigilante and the kid has to deal with the morbid scenario.

It'd be a very different movie, but a deconstruction doesn't have to end in half an hour with "Stupid kid dies."

That said,the movie still turns into a SOLID and enjoyable version of what it was deconstructing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That deconstruction would be very short

The film would have essentially been those first 45 minutes

Kick-Ass is stabbed and killed

The end.

There is your deconstruction of the superhero genre. Guess what? That's not entertaining.

You need to watch Defendor, if you haven't yet. Thats a real superhero movie. And Woody Harrelson is amazing as the hero.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited August 2010
    Just don't watch it expecting a comedy. The trailers fucking lie about that movie, and it really killed any momentum it had.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited August 2010
    You didn't like it?

Capt Howdy on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've got to agree with BM about Defendor.

The trailers and box art and everything else make it out to be this over the top kick ass-esque comedy. I think it was marketed that way so that kick ass fans would check it out.

I didn't enjoy the movie. Although, in all fairness, it has a horrible audio sync problem due to crappy production. Either that or my disc was just bad.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've got to agree with BM about Defendor.

The trailers and box art and everything else make it out to be this over the top kick ass-esque comedy. I think it was marketed that way so that kick ass fans would check it out.

I didn't enjoy the movie. Although, in all fairness, it has a horrible audio sync problem due to crappy production. Either that or my disc was just bad.

There was no audio issue when I watched Defendor.

And how do you not like that movie? It is totally fantastic. Marbles and bees, man. Marbles and bees!

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited August 2010
    No audio issues when I watched it either. And I never saw the trailer before I rented it, so I had no expectations about the movie. I loved it.

Capt Howdy on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll have to give it another shot then. I'm not one to stop watching a movie, but I had to shut it off 40 minutes in due to poor audio sync.

amateurhour on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. The first few minutes I was wondering if this was going to turn into some sort of Super Hero American Pie meets Kill Bill but I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be something else (keep in mind I haven't read the comic). I also have to agree with earlier posts the score is GREAT! I'm unsure if I will enjoy the comic as much as I did the movie however as it seems at least from what others have said to be much darker and violent than the movie and lacks some of the movies humor. I'll probably end up checking it out either way as it is the source material.

powersurge on
  • Flying ViVoFlying ViVo Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I couldn´t agree more

Flying ViVo on
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I think this movie is quite awesome as well. The only part I was not a huge fan of is
    the first person night vision. I think it is starting to grow on me the second time around but I think it could have maybe been done better. A small complaint since that rescue scene is probably my favorite in the whole movie. Nic Cage on fire screaming something I can't understand as Hit Girl capped everyone was pretty awesome.

Shaggy on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Finally got to see this llast night when my friend and I rented it on DVD. OUr local movie monopoly played the hell out of the trailers, then didn't play it at all until they finally started showing it a month or so later in the $1.50 theater. Which was weird.

Still... this movie was surprisingly good. Much better than I thought it would be. And I expected it to be good.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Only thing I didn't dig was the Elvis song and Hit Girl not wanting a hug.

Everything else movie and music wise was great.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Finally got to see this llast night when my friend and I rented it on DVD. OUr local movie monopoly played the hell out of the trailers, then didn't play it at all until they finally started showing it a month or so later in the $1.50 theater. Which was weird.

Still... this movie was surprisingly good. Much better than I thought it would be. And I expected it to be good.

Yeah, for some reason Carmike Cinemas didn't carry it, and some others didn't as well. I don't know why.

amateurhour on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    I watched this movie last night. It was great. I really only had two issues with the movie and they were both semi-minor.
    Big Daddy's ex partner was kinda hamfisted into the movie. The comic book explanation was good but "One of us is still a cop you know" didn't really satisfy my curiosity as to how he found their storehouse.

And the fact that BD/HG let RM and KA straight to their safe house. You'd figure with how careful they were that would meet them at a neutral site.

Other than those two minor complaints, the rest of it was fantastic. I loved the pacing, I loved the dialogue, even the generic teenage drama stuff was pretty good. The girl that played Hit Girl was great. Nic Cage was awesome. His delivery was just so strange that it worked for a costumed vigilante. Over all, it was a great movie.

And I read the plot on Wiki for this Defendor movie you guys are talking about and I want to check that out too.

JustinSane07 on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    powersurge wrote: »
    I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. The first few minutes I was wondering if this was going to turn into some sort of Super Hero American Pie meets Kill Bill but I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be something else (keep in mind I haven't read the comic). I also have to agree with earlier posts the score is GREAT! I'm unsure if I will enjoy the comic as much as I did the movie however as it seems at least from what others have said to be much darker and violent than the movie and lacks some of the movies humor. I'll probably end up checking it out either way as it is the source material.

They stole a track from the 28 Days Later soundtrack.

Those bastards.

Hamurabi on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    powersurge wrote: »

They stole a track from the 28 Days Later soundtrack.

Those bastards.

Also from Sunshine.

Danny Boyle movies have the best OSTs

Warcry on
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finally saw this movie last night and I enjoyed it (my dad bought the DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Copy set).
    I got kind of misty-eyed when Nic Cage was being set on fire and screaming encouragement out to Hit Girl. Probably because I was watching it with my dad.

And the second thing is that I was totally blown away by the jet pack with the Gatling gun attached. I was like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME" and my dad said "I KNOW"

Mim on
    edited August 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    You didn't like it?

Oh no, I liked it quite a bit. But I went in after listening to a review where they blasted it, complaining about all the funny bits literally being in the trailer already. When I saw it, I realized it was never intended to be a comedy at all, but rather a fairly serious drama, and the trailer completely fucked that up.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah, for some reason Carmike Cinemas didn't carry it, and some others didn't as well. I don't know why.

Yeah, Carmike is headquartered here and owns all the movie theaters in town.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited August 2010
    You didn't like it?

Oh no, I liked it quite a bit. But I went in after listening to a review where they blasted it, complaining about all the funny bits literally being in the trailer already. When I saw it, I realized it was never intended to be a comedy at all, but rather a fairly serious drama, and the trailer completely fucked that up.

I really was saved by never seeing the trailer. I just saw that it was Woody as a Superhero and rented it. What else does one need to know?

Capt Howdy on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You didn't like it?

This. Based on the trailer, I was expecting a straight up comedy. I was surprised not only by the dramatic moments, but by how well done they were. It ended up being way better than I was expecting, and I was expecting a pretty good film.

As for Defendor; I don't know. I went in without expectations, and just didn't really like it. It wasn't bad by any means, but it was just uncomfortable (which may have been intentional).
    For me, the main character not being able to understand the implications of what he was doing ruined it (though again, that may have been part of the intended point).

TubularLuggage on
    edited August 2010
    I think that was the point.

Capt Howdy on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I could definitely see it being the point, in which case, it's quite well done for what they were going for, and I just didn't personally like it.

TubularLuggage on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I watched it today, Defendor that is. Pretty darn good. As for your point TL
    I honestly think he fully understood the morality of his actions, like he knew he was doing the right thing. Just not that he was going about it the right way. Kat's dad is a good example. Most if not all of us would love to do that to a peado but we'd call the cops instead. He feels its his personal responsibility to do something about it, we would just ignore it or call the cops.

We completely suck.

Big Classy on
  • Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hated this movie. Hated it. I'm not the sort of person to be squicky, but this movie occasionally made me wince and not in a way that I found pleasurable. I think it had to do with the tone of the movie's violence: Whatching Big Daddy and Hit Girl be worse people than the gangster they were going after kinda removes any morale pretext the movie has. And it isn't like our main character is any better, proving that the best way to get into a girl's heart is to betray her and lie about who you are. If this movie wanted to be lighthearted fine, it could be redic violent, but probably should stick to PG13. When you're an R, and a hard R at that, for violence...then the humor and tone make the action disturbing rather than entertaining. If it was trying to be a satire, it's a failure. If it wasn't then it's just kind of icky.

Alchemist449 on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The violence was meant to be disturbing.

The movie did everything to get across that Big Daddy and Hit Girl are terribly fucked up people, even if the people they were after were equally horrible.

Quid on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't realize that satires had to be PG-13.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hated this movie. Hated it. I'm not the sort of person to be squicky, but this movie occasionally made me wince and not in a way that I found pleasurable. I think it had to do with the tone of the movie's violence: Whatching Big Daddy and Hit Girl be worse people than the gangster they were going after kinda removes any morale pretext the movie has. And it isn't like our main character is any better, proving that the best way to get into a girl's heart is to betray her and lie about who you are. If this movie wanted to be lighthearted fine, it could be redic violent, but probably should stick to PG13. When you're an R, and a hard R at that, for violence...then the humor and tone make the action disturbing rather than entertaining. If it was trying to be a satire, it's a failure. If it wasn't then it's just kind of icky.

The moral of the store got to you just fine. These costume freaks fucking batshit and disturbed. They should disturb you. That is the point. If you were going into to it thinking it was going to be a normal super hero movie where everything turns out great, the heroes are the people we want to be and so on, you went to the wrong movie.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png