As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Okami (or sequel, we're not sure yet) coming to!...

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I think I want to give Okami another shot. It's going to take me months to finish with my gaming schedule, but that will hopefully fill the time before this comes out. :P What was the general consensus on the Wii version? Does it use the TP wiggle-to-attack control scheme?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Man, I think I want to give Okami another shot. It's going to take me months to finish with my gaming schedule, but that will hopefully fill the time before this comes out. :P What was the general consensus on the Wii version? Does it use the TP wiggle-to-attack control scheme?
    It does, and it doesn't fit with the combo oriented nature of the combat at all. Lucky the game is ridiculously easy, so you can just grab a whip and shake your way to victory. The painting is not as awesome as it sounds, because it occasionally requires extreme precision from a device that's not known for it. The graphics also aren't quite up to the level of the PS2 version. All in all, the PS2 version is definitely the one to get, but if you don't have a PS2, the Wii version is perfectly playable.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
    edited September 2009
    Lork wrote: »
    It does, and it doesn't fit with the combo oriented nature of the combat at all. Lucky the game is ridiculously easy, so you can just grab a whip and shake your way to victory. The painting is not as awesome as it sounds, because it occasionally requires extreme precision from a device that's not known for it. The graphics also aren't quite up to the level of the PS2 version. All in all, the PS2 version is definitely the one to get, but if you don't have a PS2, the Wii version is perfectly playable.

I do have a PS2, and I was leaning toward picking that one up; so even on an HDTV with my Wii and PS2 both using component, do you think the PS2 one would end up looking better?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not sure it would; the PS2 version looks very washed out when played on a PS3. But then, I've not seen the Wii version in action yet.

Glal on
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to try and Goozex the game anyway, so I might just pick up both versions and compare on my own setup to see what looks and plays better. I figured the Wii version running in progressive scan would look better, but I'd heard some wonky things about the controls.

Lunker on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As someone who has owned both:

Waggle controls are indeed a tad too imprecise for some weapons, but on the other hand the combat is never anywhere near hard enough for that to be an issue. As someone said, equip the rosary whip and waggle to your heart's content.

Painting is indeed a tad less precise leading to more than a few failed symbol commands, but also quicker and more tactile so I think the two balance out even there.

Where the Wii stands out as winner to me is that the Wii version is widescreen and the graphics are so much brighter and more vibrant. This is due to them removing the paper effect filter which is in the PS2 version (still present in cutscenes for Wii) but I think it really does better without.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I heard they removed the credits sequence from the Wii version, something about elimationg references to Clover Studio, did that actually happen?

YggiDee on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For me, I don't have a PS2, so Wii version it is!

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lork wrote: »
    Man, I think I want to give Okami another shot. It's going to take me months to finish with my gaming schedule, but that will hopefully fill the time before this comes out. What was the general consensus on the Wii version? Does it use the TP wiggle-to-attack control scheme?

I do have a PS2, and I was leaning toward picking that one up; so even on an HDTV with my Wii and PS2 both using component, do you think the PS2 one would end up looking better?
    The Wii version looks more like cel shading and the PS2 version looks more like a living Sumi-i painting. Neither one runs in a higher resolution than the other (though Wii offers a 16:9 aspect).

Several major visual FX are just plain missing from Wii and for whatever reason they cranked up the color saturation so high I mistakenly thought they'd re-textured the game. I also had issues with the text in the Wii version, though I have a rare HD-capable widescreen tube. No matter which options I selected there wasn't anything which made the text as easy to read as in the original version.
    YggiDee wrote: »
    I heard they removed the credits sequence from the Wii version, something about elimationg references to Clover Studio, did that actually happen?
    Yes.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't have a PS2

what?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited September 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    I don't have a PS2

what?

How?

Even I have a PS2.

YggiDee on
    edited September 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    I don't have a PS2

what?

I kinda skipped over the entire last generation outside of my GBA and Dreamcast.

I bought my Dreamcast in mid-2000, and after the support for it died off I just kinda moved over to the PC until the Wii came along in '06.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited September 2009
    In addition, the PS2 never got cheap enough for it to be an impulse buy. $100 for an almost 10-year old piece of hardware is downright ridiculous. If it was $50 I'd already have one.

But the reality of the situation is that I couldn't handle a PS2 simply because it would automatically add like 100+ games to a backlog that I'm already having difficulty keeping up with.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited September 2009
    My initial plan was to pick up a PS3 when it hit $199 so I'd have a Blu-Ray player in addition to being able to pick up the handful of PS2 games I wanted to play, but that kinda fell out 6 months into the PS3's lifespan. Thanks Sony!

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited September 2009
    Well you can pick one up used on Amazon for 30$.

YggiDee on
    edited September 2009
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Well you can pick one up used on Amazon for 30$.

I barely buy used games. No way in hell am I buying used hardware. :P

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to buy this just to support a console effort. I don't play my DS much at all.

Something about HD Okami with open battlefields and friendly AI just makes me sad that it'll never happen.

Blurbl on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would think that this is exactly what you'd want to buy if you don't play your DS much at all. Get more use out of it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm not sure it would; the PS2 version looks very washed out when played on a PS3. But then, I've not seen the Wii version in action yet.

I've never noticed it looking washed out. I think it looks superb on the PS3 actually.

Diarmuid on
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Seeing the trailer for the DS version just makes me want it even more.

Damn does it look adorable.

I just got a ps3 so I need to play okami on it. <3 Gotta get a memory card adapter first though. =P

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kirbith wrote: »

I just got a ps3 so I need to play okami on it. <3 Gotta get a memory card adapter first though. =P

You don't need an adapter if you don't plan on transferring PS2 saves to your PS3.

Renzo on
  • GyowaroGyowaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Can't stop d'awwing. Graphics look lovely.
    DS is perfect for this game, will definitely be picking this up, loved the original.

Gyowaro on
    Currently Playing: Dissidia, Earthbound and FF6
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's quite ridiculous just how great that trailer looked. Are there any other 3D games for DS that offer such a high level of detail?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    It's quite ridiculous just how great that trailer looked. Are there any other 3D games for DS that offer such a high level of detail?

It reminds me of Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, only with better art direction. There are plenty of DS games with impressive 3D, this just has more style.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited September 2009
    Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 4, both Crystal Chronicles, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, and the upcoming Final Fantasy Gaiden game all have incredible 3D for the DS. I think there were others from other companies too but Square Enix is the main one.

Oh also Suikoden DS does good 3D mixed with high quality 2D backgrounds.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In addition, the PS2 never got cheap enough for it to be an impulse buy. $100 for an almost 10-year old piece of hardware is downright ridiculous. If it was $50 I'd already have one.

Oh, but it's so worth it. The library, it beckons you.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    I can't imagine starting a PS2 library at this point. I can't even imagine starting a 360 library. Who has that kind of time?

(Note I do have a PS2 library, I just can't imagine starting one. I had the time in college...)

UncleSporky on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Starting a PS2 library at this point ain't that bad.

A lot of fucking awesome games can be obtained for like $2-$8.

slash000 on
    edited September 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Starting a PS2 library at this point ain't that bad.

A lot of fucking awesome games can be obtained for like $2-$8.

Agreed, but who has the time?!?!!??!
    Me.
    Actually, I don't, but it's considerably cheaper than owning any current-gen consoles. And I know in advance that every game I buy is a sure-fire hit! You're all, like, my test subjects!

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have an assload of PS2 games in my back catalog; many of which that, indeed, I bought for less than $10.

Oh well. I'll get around to it eventually.

slash000 on
    edited September 2009
    I count 45 in my collection. Some of which were upgraded to Xbox versions when I got an original Xbox a couple years ago. I'm getting through them, slowly but surely. Busy playing Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow after I just finished Sly 3 lol.

What was this thread about??

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    I have an assload of PS2 games in my back catalog; many of which that, indeed, I bought for less than $10.

Oh well. I'll get around to it eventually.

one of those games in my case is Okami. :(

/goes to sit in the corner

Tig on
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Kirbith wrote: »

You don't need an adapter if you don't plan on transferring PS2 saves to your PS3.

Oh but I do want to transfer my saves. I play mostly Strategy RPGs and let's just say I have poured wayyyy too much time into them. Plus I have my terrible habit of not beating games, Okami being one, and I would REALLLLY like to. But I just don't see that happening unless I transfer my save data. :P

On a side note, in my intro Japanese class yesterday the teacher randomly asked if anyone knew the Japanese word for wolf. And since no one else seemed to know, I very quietly spoke up and said, "Ookami?" She was quite impressed. =D

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seeing as how awareness (or interest) in this game appears to have fallen off the face of this earth...

Here, have some trailers:

(Released circa 20th July) (Showing us some kind of partner based gameplay)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxYlQlmAEpw

(Released circa now)
    (The primary reason this one exists appears to be showing us that chibiterasu is the cutest thing ever)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ6C60a9iTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97L-9mk6B5k

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've pretty much decided that I'm getting this game right as it releases so I haven't been paying attention to it. Good to see that it still looks great.

Also, what is up with Japanese trailers and awful background music?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Having just freshly replayed Okami this game can't come soon enough. <3

Glal on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So the director was in charge of the Wii port?

Why does that fill me with dread?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I shouldn't but the wii port?

I don't know if I can find the ps2 version.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited August 2010
    The PS2 version is preferable, but the Wii version is perfectly decent if the former isn't practical.

Glal on
    edited August 2010
    That trailer totally does simply say "Puppies are cute."

I wonder if we'll get the celestial stylus, too.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png