As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Band lineup has been revealed!

• RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm actually listening to the protomen right now, they're doing a performance in florida(nerdapalooza). Just got done with frontalot not too long ago.

Basically, I'm getting hyped :P

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'm actually listening to the protomen right now, they're doing a performance in florida(nerdapalooza). Just got done with frontalot not too long ago.

Basically, I'm getting hyped :P

This is going to be my first time seeing them live.

I am so fucking pumped.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't seen the protomen live either, I'm listening to them online.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • AverageToasterAverageToaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    meh line up never hear of any except mc frontalot and john but none of them i feel are any good

AverageToaster on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So...since you haven't heard of them you just decide that they are no good, despite the fact that people are raving about the Protomen all over the place? Alright then.

Wormdundee on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If something is good he would have heard about it already! So clearly.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    At w00tstock portland, I got the crowd to help me throw 30 pairs of tighty whiteys at Paul & Storm during "Opening Band."

Imagine it if we could push that number into the triple digits.

The_Reflection on
  • Jason00Jason00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have heard of everyone but I haven't heard music from everyone, but the two that I have -- MC Frontalot and Anamanaguchi -- are pretty damned exciting. So much for me spending time outside of the convention experiencing the city.

Jason00 on
    edited July 2010
    Everyone who hasn't heard The Protomen, do yourselves a favor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcDoZnN8ac

Raiden333 on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Light Up The Night

That is all that needs to be said.

Djiem on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I first saw Protomen at PAX East and while I liked the music, I got the feeling that their stage show was just... trying too hard. I mean, they had the energy of their songs going for them but the whole spectacle was too over the top for me. One notable example was the balding guy bouncing around all over the place and didn't seem too terrible sure as to what he should be doing.

This being said, if the only thing I can fault them on is their stage show, they must be doing something right.

(Completely separate topic: When are the line-ups due out? )

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited July 2010
    For those who saw the Protomen at PAX East...

Did they play Act 1, Act 2, or a mix of both instead of a full album?

Raiden333 on
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    For those who saw the Protomen at PAX East...

Did they play Act 1, Act 2, or a mix of both instead of a full album?

I'm definitely getting the order wrong here, but here's what I remember of the PAX East lineup:

The Will of One
    Vengeance
    The Hounds
    Father of Death
    Breaking Out
    Keep Quiet
    Hope Rides Alone
    Due Vendetta

It's the same lineup they've been playing at most of their live shows for the past couple years, with the exception that they usually also play a cover of some song from an '80s movie soundtrack for an encore, and they didn't do this at PAX East until their slot in Bandland the following day. The only time I've ever seen them play more songs than this was at the Act 2 release show in Nashville last year, when they played both albums in their entirety. At that time they were still having trouble with some of the Act 2 material, particularly "Light Up The Night"; but apparently they played that one during their PAX East Bandland slot. Someone who saw them perform at Bandland could tell you more about how comfortable they are with that song at this point.

I'm going to see them play in Atlanta on Thursday, and I'll post here to let you know if their lineup has changed at all. Hopefully they'll play Beard's Going Nowhere, their epic ballad about shaving. If they've ever played that one live, I'm sad that I missed it.

Nijhazer on
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'm slightly bummed they don't do a straight performance of one of the acts, but on the other hand, those are all my favorite songs by them with the exception of "Light up the Night" and "The Stand"

And it sounds like they might do Light up the Night after all.

Raiden333 on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No Light Up the Night normally I see. Damn. I also like Sons of Fate and I'm sad it's not part of their usual lineup either.

Oh well, it's still gonna be great.

Djiem on
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Djiem wrote: »
    No Light Up the Night normally I see. Damn.

Yeah, I saw one of their live performances of "Light up the Night" on the youtubs, and uh... it wasn't very good.

It was pretty bad, in fact.

Sucks 'cause that's the song I want to hear most. Though there are a few others I like so it'll still be worth it.

kazuo on
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Protomen just posted on Twitter to confirm that they will be playing on Friday night. At PAX East, they also played on Friday, and were the first band of the evening.

Nijhazer on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    The Protomen just posted on Twitter to confirm that they will be playing on Friday night. At PAX East, they also played on Friday, and were the first band of the evening.

Ah. Excellent. I'm wonder if it'll be safe to assume that Friday night will have the same schedule as East.

Thanks!

<Omicron-8643> on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Based on previous years, here's my prediction:

Friday:
    The Protomen, Anamanaguchi, MC Frontalot, The Minibosses

Saturday:
    Metroid Metal, Paul & Storm, Jonathan Coulton

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am hoping they put Protomen or the Mini Bosses with the usual Paul and storm/JoCo mix

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
    edited July 2010
    The best part about all bands being must-sees is that you don't care at all what order or what nights they play.

Raiden333 on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I usually just go to do one concert and it's JoCo night, I'm not really sure which of the other acts I'm hoping for to be with him most. D:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If anyone from Seattle was disappointed to see Freezepop missing from the lineup, they will be at El Corazon on Sept. 27:

Monday, Sept. 27 - Seattle, at El Corazon, 109 Eastlake Ave E. With Ming & Ping and Aerodrone. $12 in advance, $14 at the door. All ages.

Masquerade78 on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    THe best part about the Protomen is that I'll be seeing them twice in one week. They're playing here the week before the move.

....and oh yeah, I'm fucking playing the same show as them /shamelsssselfpromotiondue toraucousexcitement

In all seriousness, those of you who have not heard of the Protomen, need to fix that. At least go to their show at PAX and figure out then if you like them or not.

JonnyNero on
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    chibidani wrote: »
    In my experience, they hand out wristbands in the morning lineup. However, I have been able to secure extra armbands by asking at the info desk in the afternoon. So if somehow you miss out in the morning, it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Info Booth will not have wristbands to hand out.
    I'd love it if my staff and I were not asked this 10,000 times.

The only sure way to get a wristband is to be toward the beginning of the entrance lines (in the Queue Room and at Benaroya) in the mornings. The wristbands will be split evenly between the two lines i.e. the first 1000 people in each line will get one).

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Khoo's post in the changes thread says 1,000 wristbands per line up area, so 2,000 per day total.

SlickShughes on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    any official word on the concert schedules yet?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    any official word on the concert schedules yet?

The only official word that I know of is that The Protomen are playing Friday night.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited July 2010
    Paul and Storm have said that they are playing Saturday. So has Frontalot, which is a change from the normal order.

SlickShughes on
    edited July 2010
    Paul and Storm have said that they are playing Saturday. So has Frontalot, which is a change from the normal order.

If I recall correctly, it is actually a return to tradition.

Raiden333 on
    edited July 2010

Tradition from before my time, then. 08, 09, and 10E Front was on Friday.

SlickShughes on
    edited July 2010

Tradition from before my time, then. 08, 09, and 10E Front was on Friday.

Yep, I'm referring to when PAX was back in Bellevue. :lol:

Raiden333 on
  • romulusnrromulusnr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ITT: newf--gs who weren't at PAX05 and saw mc chris.

You want to talk about a PAX concert that rocked, you don't even know.

Also to all you kiddies who hate freezepop and who have never actually played an atari 2600 (the PAX classic console room does not count) -- Underage b&s all around!

romulusnr on
    edited July 2010
    romulusnr wrote: »
    ITT: newf--gs who weren't at PAX05 and saw mc chris.

You want to talk about a PAX concert that rocked, you don't even know.

Also to all you kiddies who hate freezepop and who have never actually played an atari 2600 (the PAX classic console room does not count) -- Underage b&s all around!
    Don't be a dick.

Way to contribute in a constructive way to the community, guy.

SlickShughes on
  • nintendoXOnintendoXO Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Im so excited for The Protomen! Like seriously excited ahhhh :D BEST PAX EVAR!

nintendoXO on
  • PastyPasty cutscenesmith Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    shame mega ran and freezepop can't make it.

Pasty on
    edited August 2010
    Agreed. Freezepop is playing in Seattle a couple weeks after PAX though.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • NeonJulieNeonJulie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After playing Rock Band with random awesome people for the last few PAXes (Paxii?), singing 'Still Alive' and getting pretty nice feedback, I thought I would do something rediculous this year and email Jonathan Coulton... performing this song live, as close to the way it is in the game, is one of my dreams. Who follows their dreams right?

It'll be interesting to see if I get any replies, although obviously it wouldn't be the end of the world. But hey, how cool would that be eh?

Speaking of music, it seems a lot of PAX-goers are pretty talented. (Considering how many in the other post reference playing oboe and bassoon??) Anybody else have crazy PAX dreams? The first time, I didn't even have a "band", (so I got to play with all the Harmonix people, who 5 starred everything. It was so cool I dreamed about it for weeks!)

Here's the demo I sent him if anybody's curious, it's totally untouched, but it's fine if you don't too...

...'cause I'll probably see you (and you know who you are) in the line for Rock Band this year!

http://www.box.net/shared/ey1xdy526s

NeonJulie on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The MAGFest gents are gonna be running a "whoever wants to play can play" setup at PAX this year. If you really want to perform it live and don't get to at the concert, then you can play it on stage at the MAG stage!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PAX dream for me? be an omeganaut.

that or sing an opening song for Paul and Storm (like an intro song), then leave the stage and crash on beanbags up front.

a man can dream can't he?

thespiffyneostar on
This discussion has been closed.