As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Vanguard Recruiters land on Planet PS3 early 2011

curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue DealerRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
MASS EFFECT MOVIE IS HAPPENING NEIL BLOMKAMP PL0X

In the Mass Effect universe everybody is so nice and dresses so well
monocleeffect.jpg
k6IUh.jpg
Skybox issues rock.

Kasumi is out, and she rocks: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/kasumi-trailer-mass-effect/63466?type=flv

Even the robot butler!

Legion___Back_in_the_day_____by_InsidiousSquid.png

LET THERE BE ALT COSTUMES!:
rubb5t.jpg

Masseffectlogo.png
Wiki wrote:
Mass Effect is an award-winning, bestselling series of science fiction RPG third person shooters developed by the Canadian company BioWare and released on the Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. The first game takes place in the year 2183, with the player assuming the role of an elite human soldier named Commander Shepard, set out to explore the Galaxy on a starship, the SSV Normandy. The Xbox 360 edition was released worldwide in November 2007 published by Microsoft Game Studios. The Windows edition was released on May 28, 2008, published by Electronic Arts. The first downloadable content package, Bring Down the Sky, was released on March 10, 2008 (with a PC version released on July 29, 2008) The second downloadable content package, Pinnacle Station, was released on August 25, 2009 for the PC and Xbox 360.

AND THE WIKI!

AND MASS EFFECT 2 GUIDE / WALKTHROUGH!

End-game hot tips:
Garrus has a high defense (in that he will protect more characters), but he will actually die before Legion, Samara, and Thane. Thane is third in line after Grunt and Zaeed when it comes to surviving.

A developer stated that Thane was originally going to have the third highest defense, but when they remembered Garrus' recruitment mission, they switched their defense scores out.

But Garrus will still die before them.

It's in the game files, and BioWare released a Suicide Mission guide on it.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/2933016/1

ohhhh snapz

theory time baby
sovereign watches the asari discover citadel

THEY ARE PRETTY, YES. BUT THEY HAVE ALREADY BEGUN A CULTURAL STAGNATION. UNFLAVORFUL AND BLAND I DEEM THEM

salarians come in, ambitious, but under the influence of asari cease progressing as well

OH GOD THEY'RE LIKE POP ROCKS. TOO BAD THEY DON'T LAST LONGER....ANYONE ELSE GOING TO JOIN THE PARTY?

no? oh well guess i'll drop the voice effects it's not like these rachni can appreciate them anyway. ok you bug queens guess i'll trigger this purge early. not much this time around but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. wish you buggers were worth more to me than as a puppet race...ah nevermind

OH FUCK KROGANS

dammit, they didn't even register on my spacefaring, relay-using species list! D: looks like this plan ain't gonna work retreeeat

also very odd i sent the signal to open the citadel relay but it didn't work. UPSETTING.

also dammit that was the loss of a good puppet race D: indoctrinate the queens and everyone follows ugh ugh where am i gonna find another one oh well

ooo turians OOOO they didn't even get to the citadel until they were already worth harvesting? OMFG you guys ALONE are worth this purge i gotta let the guys know~ <3 mebbe they'll give me a puppet race or something too!

um ok they're excited too but they say nobody gets access to the collectors unless it's an EMERGENCY

FUCK

uh, uh *casts around*

OH HO HO SENTIENT TOASTERS YOU SAY? I CAN WORK WITH THAT! NO I DON'T CARE THAT THEY HAVE FLASHLIGHT HEADS

hmm humans? well they're no krogan i don't think i have to worry about them much hahaha

besides i've got enough busy-work traipsing all over the galaxy trying to find this prothean "back door" thingy

did the guys bother to tell me about that? nooooo they just get to point and laugh, specially that bitch harbinger. DENY ME ACCESS TO THE COLLECTORS WILL YOU? YOU JUST WAIT

HOW BOUT I LEAVE YOU ALL IN BLACK SPACE HMMM?

i was just kidding guys- ah you don't have to bring that up-LOOK I SAID I WAS SORRY.

who the fuck is this shepard person?

ok, WHO the FUCK is this SHEPARD person?

OMFG WHO THE FUCK IS THIS SHEPARD PERSON. I AM GOING TO HAVE A CHAT WITH THIS HUMAN.

blah that didn't go as well as i'd liked. doesn't matter anyway, me and my flashlight heads are in the backdoor. the guys will like the taste of the turians and it's just gravy if i get to personally stomp out this humanity species too. GOD they can be ANNOYING.

OMFG SHEPARD I SWEAR TO GOD

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGSHDFSJDKFSDFSDFSDF1011011110001011010111-

WHAT? DON'T LOOK AT ME THAT WAY GUYS, WE ALL AGREED THAT SOVVY WAS TOO INCOMPETENT TO USE THE COLLECTORS.

OK FINE THIS IS A PROBLEM ALRIGHT I'LL USE THE COLLECTORS TO DEAL WITH IT

BAM

SHEPARD'S DEAD ARE YOU HAPPY? GOOD.

WHAT NOW. YOU WANT TO USE THE HUMANS? WHAT ARE YOU, OUT OF YOUR BIOMECHANICAL MINDS?

FINE. BUT I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT.

OH FUCK OH FUCK SHEPARD'S BACK OH FUCK

I THOUGHT I KILLED HIM TOO DON'T FUCKING BLAME ME IT'S NOT MY FAULT SOVVY LEFT THE HUSK TECH LYING AROUND WHERE THEY COULD RESEARCH IT

oh god.

shepard is in the collector base. ah shit. ah SHIT SHIT SHIIITTTTT

look, i'm sorry guys i didn't mean for that to happen. YES i know that was our backup plan. YES i know we don't have any "spare" puppet species. YES i know just how much energy we spent on the collectors and on that base.

just....leave me alone. i gotta think.

Want to play the class of kings? How to Vanguard 101

Just imagine that every post is being spoken in this tone.Airquotes

And the only true romance: Is that a new hairstyle?

Think Zaeed's a stone cold killer? He's not, and here's proof: Jessie - A Love Story

All aboard the Love Boat with Jacob Taylor: The Prize - Jacob Taylor

Kasanagi's early Christmas present to us; a mod that turns the widow into a fully automatic death machine:
Kasanagi wrote: »

Are you on your second+ game? Stop sweating the small stuff and install this: http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mods/kbo.zip

Features:
No startup movies
Infinite "Storm" AKA Sprint
Modified Krogun - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo (40 after research upgrade), semi-automatic, high speed ROF.
Modified Widow - 6 shot magazine, 24 spare ammo, semi-automatic, high speed ROF (same as krogun's).

Just drop this in your Mass Effect 2 install folder under \BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked\ , make sure to backup your current coalesced.ini first, just in

case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj0_s6d5kM [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=F4xFFV_uy8I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xFFV_uy8I[/URL]!

last, but hardly least, we have TychoCelchuuu's Mass Effect Facebook pages: one two three | FOUR!

WE HAVE A NEW ONE!

oh, and
4518457363f437e78056o.jpg

This post is made possible by contributions from...

Bioware

Dox the Most Illustrious Private Investigator

the Curly is a Sucker for Sci-Fi Foundation

and

Viewers Like You

Thank you.

RxI0N.png
Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
curly haired boy on

• elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Since no one responded from the other thread, any one on the PC getting strange crashes against the Core and the Praetorians?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You op stealer we had 2 more pages still

Buttcleft on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So my everyone dies playthrough is going well.

I'm being a jackass to everyone and anyone and making sure they know I hate them. Grunt is still on ice and Legion is getting sold for profit. Accidently got Garrus's loyalty but whatever.

However, I'm wondering how to handles Samara's mission.
    Scaring Morinth off by asking wrong would go better with me having no loyalty. But recruiting Morinth sounds like it is just right up jackass Sheps alley.

Dragkonias on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On my playthrough, I managed to end it just the way I wanted it. This is good, since ME1 was a jerk and took Wrex from me.
    Ended it with only one person dieing, Miranda, who I happened to hate. It's nice when the game helps me get where I want.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    *sniff*

New thread smell.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Smells like...quads.

Elliott, haven't run into that problem. My persistant Overlord crash seems to have gone away (right after taking down the AI core as it transitions to the cut scene). Probably somehow related to some weird gamestate thing.

Orca on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finished Overlord a few hours ago on the PC. No crashes.

Oddly enough, I've never crashed in ME2 at all.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think curly is paranoid that if he doesn't make the new thread before 99 pages none will.

Dox the PI on
    edited August 2010
    oh yeah, and re the "adjusted == boring"--Kasumi is fairly well adjusted and quite fun to be around. Garrus--if you ignore his homicidal streak--is similar. Tali's a meatbag bigot though.

Orca on
    edited August 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    I think curly is paranoid that if he doesn't make the new thread before 99 pages none will.

I think he just likes seeing his name up there.

Just kidding, I love you Curly. <3

Orca on
    edited August 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    oh yeah, and re the "adjusted == boring"--Kasumi is fairly well adjusted and quite fun to be around. Garrus--if you ignore his homicidal streak--is similar. Tali's a meatbag bigot though.

If you're referring to me and my couple paragraphs on Jacob earlier, bear in mind that I don't find Jacob boring at all. He's one of my favorite ME2 characters, in fact.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited August 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

If you're referring to me and my couple paragraphs on Jacob earlier, bear in mind that I don't find Jacob boring at all. He's one of my favorite ME2 characters, in fact.

I thought he was boring. I wish they'd done more with him, 'cuz he sounds like he should have some rockin' stories to tell or better (funnier) commentary.

One thing Dragon Age did better was the interactions between the characters. ME3 definitely needs more of that.

Orca on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, that was mainly because the party interactions in ME2 were lackluster.

I mean most characters were just 2 or 3 dialogue trees, a loyalty quest, and a thank you.

Adding a bit more to talk about...and the interparty dialogue system in DA...would be a big improvement.

Dragkonias on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I seriously don't think the mass effect movie will ever happen

Maybe I'm just cynical?

Didgeridoo on
    edited August 2010
    I don't know if I want it to happen.

I mean it is being done by Legendary and they've been doing good by me lately.

But it's a video game, they rarely translate well to film.

Either the directors focus too much on what makes it a game and it comes off as way too goofy. Or they don't focus enough and it seems like something else altogether.

Dragkonias on
    edited August 2010
    Come on, DOA was a cinematic MASTERPIECE.

BUHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Orca on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They don't need to make it into a video game movie. They can just make any random sci-fi movie and have the events occur in the Mass Effect setting.

reVerse on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I don't know if I want it to happen.

I mean it is being done by Legendary and they've been doing good by me lately.

But it's a video game, they rarely translate well to film.

Either the directors focus too much on what makes it a game and it comes off as way too goofy. Or they don't focus enough and it seems like something else altogether.

Well I mean IF they do it it pretty much cannot be about Shepard. It will have to be focused on some other aspect of the universe. Otherwise it's just going to be a theater split in two over whether or not to
    kill that motherfucking Rachni queen

Didgeridoo on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    New thread is early.

New thread title is worth it.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

a little from column A, a little from column B.... :P

mostly i wanted to try out this new thread title :winky:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the problem with this game is that it doesnt know what it is, is it a 3rd person shooter? is it an rpg? holly crap. i mean ME2.

it just didnt have the same feel of ME, that game was a true BioWare team having rpg, ME2 just seems to try too hard... i dont know, i like it but aghh its ok i guess.

L.E.O. on
    edited August 2010
    Umm...you know that fundamentally ME1 and ME2 are generally the same?

ME2 is just missing some of the stuff that made ME1 good and ME1 just has shitty combat and bloated inventories.

Dragkonias on
    edited August 2010

ME2 is just missing some of the stuff that made ME1 good and ME1 just has shitty combat and bloated inventories.
    and what is it that made ME1 good? fuckin mystery.

but i just think the feel of ME2 is too hollywoody and pretentious.

L.E.O. on
    edited August 2010
    L.E.O. wrote: »

Please explain yourself?

Because I mean honestly I would say the story between ME1 and ME2 are the same.

ME1 just had better pacing and explained stuff more.

I wouldn't really call it pretentious. It is pretty campy.

And ME1 and ME2 are both hollywoody. They're homages to 80s Sci-Fi movies.

Dragkonias on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ME2 has better squad mates, conversations, presentation and combat.

ME1 has better story structure.

They both got things going for them.

reVerse on
    edited August 2010
    L.E.O. wrote: »

Please explain yourself?

Because I mean honestly I would say the story between ME1 and ME2 are the same.

ME1 just had better pacing and explained stuff more.

I don't understand how ME2 was hollywoody and I wouldn't really call it pretentious. It is pretty campy.
    the story in ME2 just felt predictable, like nothing really shocked me. ME1 had plot twists and the story was complex enough for you to have to piece it together.

man ME2 does look fucking sleek and the animations are better but, something about the rpg element in it felt dumbed down, maybe i just dont like it as much.

L.E.O. on
    edited August 2010
    Well, I guess I understand that. ME1 main story was better than ME2's.

Dragkonias on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ME2 has the Revenant, adrenaline rush, and biotic charge.

No better story can touch these things.

Graviija on
    edited August 2010

a little from column A, a little from column B.... :P

mostly i wanted to try out this new thread title :winky:

I approve of this reason.

Orca on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I wouldn't really call it pretentious. It is pretty campy.

And ME1 and ME2 are both hollywoody. They're homages to 80s Sci-Fi movies.

Agreeing with Dragkonais here.

Nihlus: "I work better on my own!" o_O

ME2 certainly has more B-movie elements (most of which I think work well). Some of the stuff like the above in ME1 ,which it takes very seriously, came across pretty silly imho.

Egos on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ME2 was more fun as a watercooler game than as a deep RPG. It was a game connected by a series of brief moments that make you go OH SHIT THAT WAS COOL rather than by a cohesive plot. Almost the entire damned game is sidequests with very little emphasis put on the main plot.

There's what...4 plot line quests in ME2 and a badly written ending? (seriously, that giant organic robot is the dumbest god damn thing ever) ME1's story may not have been the best ever, but at least there was some effort put into it. ME2 was just lazy as hell.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited August 2010
    yeah man, i felt goosebumps when i learned the fate of the protheans man, that was the best climax ever.

L.E.O. on
    edited August 2010
    Saren > Harbriidnger
    Geth > Colectors

Soverign Twist > Protheian

Basically Me2 has better charcters

Dox the PI on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Egos wrote: »

I dont get what's wrong with that line. He works better on his own. He's a spectre, that's their thing. Did it require a 2 minute soliloquy on what the philosophical meaning of solitude is?

Anyhow, the Collectors reveal in ME2 worked for me because it happened while knee deep in their ship and it meant there was about to be an ambush. Considering I'd barely survived Horizon, walking into a large trap was not good news.

On the other hand I didn't feel any sense of impending danger or urgency during the Sovereign reveal because by that point in the game I was a walking God, laying waste to all who opposed me.

Where I think ME1 was superior was from Ilos through the conclusion. But only in terms of storytelling. In terms of gameplay it was a complete non-event. We tore through everything like paper. Mecha Saren didn't even get off a single shot.

My problem with ME2 is that for being billed as the dark middle chapter, it wasn't dark. It didn't end on a low point, like Empire Strikes Back. It didn't hit a low point and then claw its way to a hopeful conclusion, like The Two Towers. ME2 started with a low point that the player didn't even get to experience, since the game essentially began with your resurrection. From that point onward it was a fairly upbeat story.

I showed the "everyone dies" ending to a friend of mine who had completed the game with the most upbeat of endings. He and I agreed that the "bad" ending, which can't be carried into ME3, was so much more dramatic and powerful. Seeing
    Joker telling Shepard not to die again, Shepard saying 'you've got to warn everyone' before falling, Joker wandering through the trashed Normandy CIC, hearing the Illusive Man dismissively tell Joker to return "his" ship to port, seeing the coffins, and the final shot of Joker staring at the image of Harbinger as the camera cuts to the Reaper fleet cruising through space

leaves the viewer asking "how in the HELL will they get out of this, is everyone really dead, how will all of this be resolved?". Way more effective at being the dark middle chapter.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Egos wrote: »

I dont get what's wrong with that line.

Silly bad ass posturing.

It wasn't just the line, it was having a guy just run off playing rambo. Imaging that in most games seems silly.

Further proof why Turians suck at being Batman.

edit: this is ignoring the gameplay aspect of many fps games.

Egos on
    edited August 2010
    putting it out there that the actual quote is "I move faster on my own"

Dox the PI on
  • WillybubbaWillybubba Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OK, the actual story of ME1 is better (there's an actual badguy in Saren, the actual threat to the galaxy is more present, the conclusion is handled better) but I think ME1's pacing is definitely not better. The first Citadel-part can be boring, for instance.

Besides, I DO think ME2 handles the actual team better, what with the choices near the end and whatnot.

The actual gunplay in ME2 is way better than the first.

Willybubba on
    edited August 2010
    There. Finally beat ME2 for the first time. Got the level 30 achievement, No One Left Behind, Long Service Medal, and others.
    Naturally, being the Paragon I am, I blew the base to hell and gone. In the final Illusive Man conversation, I did the Renegade "Step in line or get out of my way" speech, and ended it on that.

And god dammit it's 6:30 AM.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited August 2010
    I really don't get what people's problem with the endboss was.

I thought it looked cool and I wouldn't really say that either game had lazy writing, just that the focus of ME2's writing and the focus of ME1's were in different places. Honestly, I will say that the thing that hurt ME2 more than anything was that they tried to do the game in a different manner while still adhering to the Bioware formula (ie travel here, plot point, travel there, plot point, travel here, endgame). It worked better for ME1 because the places you traveled were all apart of the plot focus.

Dragkonias on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    There. Finally beat ME2 for the first time. Got the level 30 achievement, No One Left Behind, Long Service Medal, and others.
    Naturally, being the Paragon I am, I blew the base to hell and gone. In the final Illusive Man conversation, I did the Renegade "Step in line or get out of my way" speech, and ended it on that.

And god dammit it's 6:30 AM.

keeping the collector base is too good to just blow up!

joshgotro on