As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My underage brother is planning a beer pong tournament

• The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    The most I would do would be to simply send your brother a message saying this. Don't try to be a hero and swoop in and save him from himself, but politely and with care point out that the internet is a big place and that he may not want everyone to know.

Otherwise you run the risk of being a meddler.

this. all these wet blankets suggesting you call your mom are blowing it way out of proportion. it's just some kids having fun.

It's not that. It's that it's in his parent's home so anything that happens, they're liable for. If he wants to grow up and get his own place, he can do all the underage drinking he wants there.

Kids do this. It is far from anything out of the ordinary.

Go ahead and speak with your mother, OP, if you like but please be aware of the backlash that will inevitably fall on you when you screw around with someone else's life. No one likes having their plans ruined, and sometimes plans have to ruin themselves to teach lessons.

There is, of course, a liability issue. There is also the fact that in less than 12 months your brother will be of legal drinking age. If your brother was 16 or even 18 there would be a clear-cut issue. At the age of 20 this is nothing out of the ordinary for someone who is planning a tournament.

Talk to your brother first and gauge if there's a problem. If you get the impression that there will be 400 people in the house, and your brother seems not to be able to handle the scope or intensity of what he created, it'll be far easier to speak to your parents.

It doesn't matter what age he is. He's under 21. The law doesn't care that he's less than 12 months away. It's clear cut if he's 20 years 364 days as it would be if he was 10.

What backlash? His brother will be miffed for a little bit? Who cares? If his brother wants to do adult things, he needs to act like an adult and stop living with his parents, where then the responsibility for said party will fall on his shoulders.

It his parent's house. Thus making it wrong. End of story.

I really appreciate your advice most of the time, Esh, but you tend to have a black and white view of, well, everything.

This involves not a party, but familial relationships that the OP had admitted are not very strong anyway. I agree that it doesn't sound like a good idea and that the brother appears to have his hands overflowing, but that doesn't mean that taking the hardline is the best choice.

I would simply encourage the OP to consider more than cold, impersonal data when making a decision like this. I suggest speaking to the brother first before the parents simply because this whole thing may or may not be a huge problem and doing a little research first (as well as providing family a small benefit of the doubt) seems the most effective way of making an informed decision.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chickeen wrote: »
    I'd call the cops. Some of life's lessons are best learned in lockup.

This would be pretty funny if it weren't for the fact that his parent's would go be arrested and fined as well. Providing alcohol to a minor can be an expensive charge.

But hey, who cares if the kids get trashed and a neighbor calls the cops so the OP's parents end up arrested and fined out the ass. His brother is 20, man, so he should totally be able to host underage drinking parties all he wants!

VisionOfClarity on
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    probably because managing other people's lives for them is crossing the line and not how adults act?

this seems like some sort of projection thing. damn those kids for having fun drinking while I'm in my basement not doing anything! nobody should be allowed to have fun, ever! this sort of thing doesn't occur all the time or anything!

Irony?

As I said, I drank before 21. What I didn't do was throw a party in my parent's house without their permission and then publicly announce said party.

Murphy on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have your brother pay you hush money. If he doesn't pay up, then tell your parents or call the cops on him an hour after the party started.
    I'm joking, but that was fun to say.

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited August 2010
    And the fines tend to hover around $1,000, but the cost of a lawyer for the court appearances tend to run a little higher.

VisionOfClarity on
  • That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    eternalbl wrote: »

Hey, the Mom might know and be ok with it, we don't know this at all.

OP, you know your brother better than anyone, if you think he's getting himself in over his head, make sure your parents are aware. If you think he can take care of himself and is respectful of your parents home, let him know that publicly advertising the party on facebook might get him more attention than he wants.

Easy-Shmeasy.

Somehow, I doubt the parent(s) know if the OP is making the thread about it. If they do know, then I'll be the first to edit it.

Personally, I don't know many parents who would let their 20 y/o have a beer pong party in their house. That's just me though.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Go ahead and speak with your mother, OP, if you like but please be aware of the backlash that will inevitably fall on you when you screw around with someone else's life.

He's advertising a party that by design is going to encourage underage drinking, on freaking Facebook. He deserves to have his plans derailed. He'll get over it eventually, it may even turn out to be one of those "You'll thank me later" moments.
    There is, of course, a liability issue. There is also the fact that in less than 12 months your brother will be of legal drinking age. If your brother was 16 or even 18 there would be a clear-cut issue. At the age of 20 this is nothing out of the ordinary for someone who is planning a tournament.

Wha? "But i'll be 21 in less than a year! Everyone does it!" can be used as a defense in court? o_O If nothing else, his parents can get nailed for allowing this to happen, serious fines and possibly worse especially if someone gets hurt/hurts someone else going home.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The most I would do would be to simply send your brother a message saying this. Don't try to be a hero and swoop in and save him from himself, but politely and with care point out that the internet is a big place and that he may not want everyone to know.

this. all these wet blankets suggesting you call your mom are blowing it way out of proportion. it's just some kids having fun.

It's not that. It's that it's in his parent's home so anything that happens, they're liable for. If he wants to grow up and get his own place, he can do all the underage drinking he wants there.

Go ahead and speak with your mother, OP, if you like but please be aware of the backlash that will inevitably fall on you when you screw around with someone else's life. No one likes having their plans ruined, and sometimes plans have to ruin themselves to teach lessons.

Talk to your brother first and gauge if there's a problem. If you get the impression that there will be 400 people in the house, and your brother seems not to be able to handle the scope or intensity of what he created, it'll be far easier to speak to your parents.

It doesn't matter what age he is. He's under 21. The law doesn't care that he's less than 12 months away. It's clear cut if he's 20 years 364 days as it would be if he was 10.

What backlash? His brother will be miffed for a little bit? Who cares? If his brother wants to do adult things, he needs to act like an adult and stop living with his parents, where then the responsibility for said party will fall on his shoulders.

I really appreciate your advice most of the time, Esh, but you tend to have a black and white view of, well, everything.

This involves not a party, but familial relationships that the OP had admitted are not very strong anyway. I agree that it doesn't sound like a good idea and that the brother appears to have his hands overflowing, but that doesn't mean that taking the hardline is the best choice.

I would simply encourage the OP to consider more than cold, impersonal data when making a decision like this. I suggest speaking to the brother first before the parents simply because this whole thing may or may not be a huge problem and doing a little research first (as well as providing family a small benefit of the doubt) seems the most effective way of making an informed decision.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Do you think some 20 year old kid is actually going to admit that they may not have a handle on things?

He open posted a tournament with an entry fee on Facebook. Maybe if he had said "Oh hey, a couple buddies are coming over to drink a few beers and play some pong." I might have a slightly different opinion, but he didn't.

And again, it comes down to "Not his house". I don't understand why that's not clicking in people's heads. Just because you live there, doesn't give you any dominion over it.

I don't know, as a bartender I see people do some really stupid shit when they're drunk. Add underage and someone else's liability into that equation and it's just a bad idea.

Esh on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And the fines tend to hover around $1,000, but the cost of a lawyer for the court appearances tend to run a little higher.

Going to be more if somebody gets pulled over, or god forbid crashes into somebody else driving home

Usagi on
    edited August 2010
    Usagi wrote: »

Going to be more if somebody gets pulled over, or god forbid crashes into somebody else driving home

There are a slew of charges they'll be slapped with just for hosting. If someone gets pulled over it would be bad but if they get in an accident they're really fucked.

They've cracked down on this pretty hard in MA and while none of the parents' are serving jail time they're paying out the nose for the parties. No to mention the newspapers love covering these kinds of stories and printing the names of the parents' who let 30 under-agers get trashed at their house.

VisionOfClarity on
  • ChickeenChickeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just figure out a way to anonymously tip off your parents. That way if the tourney still happens, and somebody dies, you'll be able to sleep at night.

Chickeen on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hey OP do you have a link to the announcement? I'm pretty sure me and my bros can whip some 20 year olds at beer pong. I was a star in my day.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited August 2010
    Do you think some 20 year old kid is actually going to admit that they may not have a handle on things?

He open posted a tournament with an entry fee on Facebook. Maybe if he had said "Oh hey, a couple buddies are coming over to drink a few beers and play some pong." I might have a slightly different opinion, but he didn't.

And again, it comes down to "Not his house". I don't understand why that's not clicking in people's heads. Just because you live there, doesn't give you any dominion over it.

I don't know, as a bartender I see people do some really stupid shit when they're drunk. Add underage and someone else's liability into that equation and it's just a bad idea.

OP's had 20 years to get to know his brother. He has a pretty good idea to start with if he's capable of handling this, but you don't just ask 'is everything cool, it's all under control?' You find out what he plans to do if too many people show up, or someone's getting too drunk. Does he plan to take people's keys? Is there a plan to use some of the income for a taxi fund? Will people be able to get drinks without certain people knowing, or will there be people specifically serving and will they have a limit in place as to how much a single person can drink?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Murphy wrote: »
    See, this is why I initially said my opinion would be unpopular (though clearly it isn't as much as I thought I would). Wet blanket? Being a baby?

How about being responsible, and an adult. Both things that his brother clearly isn't, and needs some damn guidance on.

Jesus, it's just a kid having a party.

Edit: Not even a kid! He's 20

Limed so fucking hard. These aren't 15 year olds watering down daddy's liquor cabinet to fill lines previously established with post it notes. These are 20 year olds pounding natty ice and playing some pong.

What the hell were you guys doing at 20?

Partying at beer pong tourneys. I could care less that they're having a party or drinking, but when it's your fucking house they're going to be doing it in, and advertising the fact on twitter/facebook, then come talk to me about a couple of kids having fun. I would say as family you kind of have a responsibility to let mom know her house is going to get trashed beforehand, wet blanket or not. If he hadn't been advertising it on the net, nobody would be the wiser.

Dark_Side on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I threw a party in high school, i think i was 16. Facebook was not a thing and probably 150 people still showed up. My parents house got trashed (nothing too horrible, except some waterford crystal got broken, but that was me moving stuff to clean up), the cops came 3 times, and i got grounded for a month. A girl ripped her pants/leg on the chainlink fence while running when the cops first showed and her parents tried to come after mine. (it was one of those chain link fences that come up to a barb at the top)

Honestly, a beer pong tournament doesn't sound too horrible. i think you guys are putting a stigma on that game that it's all about chugging beers. whenever i see people playing lately, they have water in all the cups and drink at their leisure. (granted i am older and questionably smrter) at 20 you aren't really at the point where you "want to be cool" and would let too many people come and wreck the joint anymore. is it technically a bad idea? yeah, is it definitely going to be a disaster? not necessarily.

i wouldn't tell your parents, but that's just me. but if you are already on bad terms with your bro, go for it if you feel so strongly. personally, i doubt it will be a big deal. please update tho! i'm interested to see what happens!

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

OP's had 20 years to get to know his brother. He has a pretty good idea to start with if he's capable of handling this, but you don't just ask 'is everything cool, it's all under control?' You find out what he plans to do if too many people show up, or someone's getting too drunk. Does he plan to take people's keys? Is there a plan to use some of the income for a taxi fund? Will people be able to get drinks without certain people knowing, or will there be people specifically serving and will they have a limit in place as to how much a single person can drink?

You put an awful lot of faith into drunk kids.

Esh on
    edited August 2010

You put an awful lot of faith into drunk kids.

I was one of em once.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the risk of not saying anything to either him or your parents far outweighs the benefits of keeping it to yourself.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited August 2010
    Iwhenever i see people playing lately, they have water in all the cups and drink at their leisure.

what the heck. OP you need to call your brother and tell him to make sure he doesn't do this, that's lame as heck.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Someone already said it, but if the kid has a plan...eh. My friends and I threw parties in high school, but we were damn safe about it. We collected keys, blocked cars in with our own, etc. If you showed up, you stayed overnight, no two ways about it.

That being said, I feel like we were better about it than most. Advertising on facebook we did not even consider, that's idiotic. That and it was only 25 people max.

I'd definitely tell your parents if you have any thought that this is going to get anywhere near out of control (which, from your info, it seems it will).

Something to keep in mind, legally, if you're charging entry and serving alcohol, you run into speakeasy laws. I have no idea what they are specifically in your area, but that could be an issue.

You have any friends that are cops? I'd ask him to (on the DL) "find" your brothers facebook announcement and talk with him about it. Kind of a slap on the wrist moment but if a dude in uniform swings by, it tends to put things in reality quick.

Iceman.USAF on
    edited August 2010
    Iwhenever i see people playing lately, they have water in all the cups and drink at their leisure.

what the heck. OP you need to call your brother and tell him to make sure he doesn't do this, that's lame as heck.
    Man have you seen how dirty the rinse water gets? i'm lucky i never got trenchmouth all those years i played with beer in the cups.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
    edited August 2010

Man have you seen how dirty the rinse water gets? i'm lucky i never got trenchmouth all those years i played with beer in the cups.

if beer pong was the dirtiest thing you did in college you should count yourself lucky!

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited August 2010

if beer pong was the dirtiest thing you did in college you should count yourself lucky!

Yeah my entire college did this, and the surrounding 10 colleges that were in the area. You LIKE getting sick every 2 weeks? Be my guest. I'll keep my beer in the bottle thanks.

Iceman.USAF on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Mop the floor and replace your rinse cup after every match. Easy Peasy.

Deebaser on
    edited August 2010

Yeah my entire college did this, and the surrounding 10 colleges that were in the area. You LIKE getting sick every 2 weeks? Be my guest. I'll keep my beer in the bottle thanks.

did you go to school in Europe or something? so weird. I played beer pong for years and neither me nor my friends got sick. we just poured the cups into our own drinking cup.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited August 2010

did you go to school in Europe or something? so weird. I played beer pong for years and neither me nor my friends got sick. we just poured the cups into our own drinking cup.

Nope, Massachusetts. Started my sophomore year or so. People started getting sick, someone suggested we could be less sick by just using water. Saves trips to the faucet during the night too!

Iceman.USAF on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Murphy wrote: »
    See, this is why I initially said my opinion would be unpopular (though clearly it isn't as much as I thought I would). Wet blanket? Being a baby?

How about being responsible, and an adult. Both things that his brother clearly isn't, and needs some damn guidance on.

Jesus, it's just a kid having a party.

Edit: Not even a kid! He's 20

Limed so fucking hard. These aren't 15 year olds watering down daddy's liquor cabinet to fill lines previously established with post it notes. These are 20 year olds pounding natty ice and playing some pong.

What the hell were you guys doing at 20?

Drinking with friends in my own fucking apartment and not being an idiot to tell the universe I was doing it

That's cool for you, but I'm sure you know that a significant amount of kids home from school have parties with alcohol at their parents places during summer break, and that very very rarely result in susbtantial property damage or lawsuits.

I agree 100% that the facebook event posting is pretty dumb from what we know. If it's a private event that only his friends can see, it's still dumb, but not mindnumbingly retarded

edit: How many people were even invited/confirmed for this?

Deebaser on
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The mass Facebook announcement is what ensures this will get out of hand. In the world we live in today, where in most states every underage drinking arrest at parties with the parents at home means a sizable fine per head in addition to jailtime and liability for any accidents occurring during or after the party, the hugely negative impact this will have on your parents far outweighs any problems this will cause between you and your brother. Explain all this to him and say in no uncertain terms that if he does not call off the party you will let your parents know what he is planning.

Underage drinking is one thing. We all did it, and I agree that the rules in our country are archaic and should be changed. Putting your parents at risk by hosting a huge party guaranteed to get busted is quite another, and you should take the opportunity you have here to stop it and to make sure your brother knows what he is doing is not only stupid but selfish. He will probably have a problem with your actions because at 20 you're still half-retarded, but your job as his big brother is to protect him, even from himself, and do the right thing, even if it creates a temporary rift between you two.

HeraldS on
    edited August 2010

Nope, Massachusetts. Started my sophomore year or so. People started getting sick, someone suggested we could be less sick by just using water. Saves trips to the faucet during the night too!

weird. have you been out of school long? if that had been suggested at my school (big public university in the midwest) bad stuff would've happened.

though like I said, nobody ever got sick and we weren't drinking from the same cups, so

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

This pretty much sums it up.

Sir Carcass on
    edited August 2010

weird. have you been out of school long? if that had been suggested at my school (big public university in the midwest) bad stuff would've happened.

though like I said, nobody ever got sick and we weren't drinking from the same cups, so

it's easier too, i find. if one of the cups gets knocked over, no biggie.

also stacking the cups you are drinking out of is gross.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's cool for you, but I'm sure you know that a significant amount of kids home from school have parties with alcohol at their parents places during summer break, and that very very rarely result in susbtantial property damage or lawsuits.

Wait, are you saying real life isn't like the movies?! Now I don't know what to believe!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

It's not just this, to me, but the legality of it all. It is pretty disheartening to see how many people completely gloss over the fact that it is illegal for him to drink. Just because "hey, everyone drinks before twenty-one!" or that he is close-enough to the legal drinking age.

It's a poor defense and it is really hard to take someone seriously that takes the other side of the argument. I instantly assume that they too are underage and immature.

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, without me having to intervene mom found out and put a kibosh of it in our house.

Its still happening in someone else's house, but that ain't my problem anymore.

And again, I totally understand that the guy's 20, hence my overall trepidation. The entire thing was simply that I didn't like he was advertising it and it was taking place in my mom's house.

noir_blood on
    edited August 2010
    Coffey wrote: »

It's not just this, to me, but the legality of it all. It is pretty disheartening to see how many people completely gloss over the fact that it is illegal for him to drink. Just because "hey, everyone drinks before twenty-one!" or that he is close-enough to the legal drinking age.

It's a poor defense and it is really hard to take someone seriously that takes the other side of the argument. I instantly assume that they too are underage and immature.

I'm gonna need your mom's phone number, I know about all that porn you look at without paying.

edit: when I see someone's location is Indiana I instantly assume they're some undereducated hick.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited August 2010
    underage drinking is pretty victimless (except in hazing crap or whatever). the OP doesn't need to white knight on his brother. i think the OP's issue is more that it's at his parents house, and they could potentially be liable if something bad happens.

How is the weather up there on your horse?

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So, without me having to intervene mom found out and put a kibosh of it in our house.

Its still happening in someone else's house, but that ain't my problem anymore.

And again, I totally understand that the guy's 20, hence my overall trepidation. The entire thing was simply that I didn't like he was advertising it and it was taking place in my mom's house.

Glad it worked out in a way that didn't necessitate you putting yourself in a tight situation.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Him drinking underage in the privacy of his parent's home I simply don't care about. Not a big deal.

Having a pile of people over to do so (presumably) without his parents knowledge or consent is a problem.

Planning the event publically on Facebook and Twitter is possibly the dumbest thing I've heard today.

OP should mention to his brother that he's being retarded and should inform his parents. It's their house and the risk/liability they might be handed without any say in the matter outweighs "Dudes, it's just a little pre-21 beer pong!". While using subterfuge wouldn't necessarily make it any better, it would've at least lessened the risk of it getting completely out of hand.

If the OP's brother wants to act like an adult, he should behave like one. Doing something illegal, suggesting others join in on the illegal activity, and doing so in a place that could have consequences for his parents is irresponsible.

If it's that big a deal he should've either arranged it somewhere else, or start pondering how he might end up with a place of his own. Perhaps that can be arranged by the time he's 21, so he and his crew can have a riotous beer pong tournament legally and in their own space as they see fit.

Edit; apparently it's now a moot point.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Coffey wrote: »

Edit: Nevermind, problem is solved.

Eh, 21 is a pretty stupid and arbitrary drinking age anyway, only in America could you get sent off to die in a war on the other side of the world, but not be able to drink a beer. People are just pointing out that many many 20 year old college students drink and throw parties and that nothing usually happens. The only real issue is that the party organizer is advertising it, which is not exactly the best idea, and for that alone probably deserves to get busted beforehand. That's part of what it means to be in a family in that sometimes you have to be the bad guy, I think op kind of has a responsibility here to narc him out before this party turns into something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IAUwtyquE

Dark_Side on
This discussion has been closed.