As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sherlock - Not now! I'm in shock. Look, I've got a blanket.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Which does seem to beg the question...how are either of them affording anything.

Holmes may work with the police but it was mentioned they dont pay him.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I think Watson's living off his army pension.

Sherlock and Mycroft seem to come from money, on the other hand.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    Which does seem to beg the question...how are either of them affording anything.

Holmes may work with the police but it was mentioned they dont pay him.

Divorces and missing cats.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JonBob wrote: »
    Yeah, I think Watson's living off his army pension.

Sherlock and Mycroft seem to come from money, on the other hand.

If it's following the original stories, Watson is (as stated) on a pension. Holmes may or may not come from money, but he charges for his services when working for clients other than the police. There are several stories where he claims the reward offered for solving a problem and/or requests pay for his expenses from the client. According to wikipedia the only time that his fee (which is generally fixed) is stated, it's 1000 GBP. According to the inflation calculator, 1000 GBP in 1887 pounds is something like 80,000 GBP today.

So presumably Holmes needed a roommate during A Study in (Scarlet/Pink) because he hadn't solved a case recently. Wikipedia also says that Watson says in one of the later stories that the monthly rent on Holmes' old living space would have been enough to buy 221 Baker Street flat out, so I'd guess he was doing well with his 'business' but burnt through the majority of his savings when paying cases stopped coming in.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also...doesnt it seem like he does have a job with the police? Remember him beating up that corpse in the beginning, and the calls he made about arresting someone with a green ladder. obviously hes getting paid something for all that or they wouldnt even let him in the lab.

azith28 on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    The lack of ads is the best part of the BBC.

true dat, whenever i watch C4 or ITV the breaks come as a complete surprise, and then a sudden irritation since it's like 20 minutes of ads in every hour of prgramming or whatever

I refuse to watch films on C4 or ITV.

Just when you get settled into it, another load of ads pop up.

And it takes like an hour longer to watch it.

When I went to america, I almost couldn't watch TV there. The amount of adverts is just astounding. I'm sure it was like two commercial breaks per 20 minute episode of whatever. And they're longer breaks than the ones we get here. I don't know how people put up with that.

Shit drove me crazy.

And what is the deal with ending the show, cutting right to an ad so you're not even sure that the show has ended yet or not, and then coming back just for the credits sequence?

I've been to Australia and New Zealand a fair few times there and the advert breaks are so frequent that it's pretty much pointless to watch.

As to Sherlock, I just finished watching it.. some parts I think were pretty obvious and not so great. I'm not really a fan of Gatiss' writing, acting etc. He was decent in the league of gentlemen (comedy tv series over here, not the film with Sean Connery).
    It's stuff like, ok.. I figured it was the cabby immediately in the first shot of the guy in the cab. The "there's a cabby outside for you" stuff was a bit on the stupid side. Also figured out the two tablet thing pretty early, one of my other thoughts was "perhaps a gas in the cab to make them suicidal" which didn't pan out obviously, plus I didn't think the writer would be that obvious because of autopsies etc.
    Decent though, could do with less Gatiss.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been waiting all week for this. I really wanna see if they can keep each episode fresh.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heads-up: they've changed the broadcast time from 9pm to 8.30pm. They've also changed the Top Gear broadcast time to 9.30pm because of the athletics, which means the shows overlap.

Seol on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well shit. I'll have to watch Top Gear on a BBC3 repeat or iplayer.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bloody BBC and their constantly changing schedules...

BobCesca on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    -snip-

I've been to Australia and New Zealand a fair few times there and the advert breaks are so frequent that it's pretty much pointless to watch.

As to Sherlock, I just finished watching it.. some parts I think were pretty obvious and not so great. I'm not really a fan of Gatiss' writing, acting etc. He was decent in the league of gentlemen (comedy tv series over here, not the film with Sean Connery).
    It's stuff like, ok.. I figured it was the cabby immediately in the first shot of the guy in the cab. The "there's a cabby outside for you" stuff was a bit on the stupid side. Also figured out the two tablet thing pretty early, one of my other thoughts was "perhaps a gas in the cab to make them suicidal" which didn't pan out obviously, plus I didn't think the writer would be that obvious because of autopsies etc.
    Decent though, could do with less Gatiss.

I think you're ripping a little heavily on Gatiss there. I figured out the same things in advance as you, but if anything it reminded me of Moffat's writing on Doctor Who.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am very excited for tonight's episode...30 seconds (or so) to go!

BobCesca on
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One of these is a Mouthpiece for their insane conservative British CEO.
    Murdoch is Australian, Sherlock.

Actually, he's Australian born, but he's an American citizen now.

I'll see you in the Mel Gibson thread.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That was very enjoyable.

Not as tightly written in some places as last week, but still very good.

So sad there's only 1 more episode :(

BobCesca on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Series sounds interesting, I hope either PBS or my local equivalent Knowledge picks this up.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We missed the first episode - is that much of a problem or are the eps very self-contained?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    That was very enjoyable.

Not as tightly written in some places as last week, but still very good.

So sad there's only 1 more episode :(
    I thought it was much better put together. Its highs were slightly lower than last week's, but its lows were much higher - last week's had bits which annoyed me, this one didn't.

Seol on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I enjoyed this one immensely, though I did like last week's a little more. Sherlock and Watson have good chemistry, so that's good.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It was good but again the small obvious stuff kind of stands out. Like when Sherlocok
    is going through the books for the two victims. The boxes are clearly labeled; the victims' books are separated. Yet when he's taking them out of the boxes, he takes two of the same books out the same box. I'm probably looking too much into it though, he could just be holding one from one victims box and comparing it to another.

Also, the A to Z was agonising, like last weeks taxi thing. Seriously, the minute he said a book everyone must have I immediately though dictionary and A to Z.

Love that they're showing Watson trying to get back into normality with Sarah though. That was hilarious.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    Series sounds interesting, I hope either PBS or my local equivalent Knowledge picks this up.

If you get PBS, the show has apparently been picked up by Masterpiece to run later this year.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm enjoying the programme, but I find the whole Moriarty plot arc a bit tiresome, I know that in the Final Problem, Moriarty controls most of the criminals in the UK. In the programme it just feels as if it was tacked on to generate an arc to link together the episodes. I'm happy enough with just the cases.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

If you get PBS, the show has apparently been picked up by Masterpiece to run later this year.

Sweet, yeah. Yeah, we get Seattle's PBS station up here.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm enjoying the programme, but I find the whole Moriarty plot arc a bit tiresome, I know that in the Final Problem, Moriarty controls most of the criminals in the UK. In the programme it just feels as if it was tacked on to generate an arc to link together the episodes. I'm happy enough with just the cases.

I'm wondering if they're going to show Moriarty next week, or if they're saving him in the event that they get picked up for a full season. (Is this an official thing now? I have only heard rumors.)

potential casting spoiler thing
    If the rumors about Jason Isaacs being cast as Moriarty are true, I'm super interested.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought the book would be
    the yellow pages, considering it is delivered for free to every house and business. I certainly do not believe for a second that everyone owns an A to Z.

I don't think this was ever intended to be a series, at 90 minutes an episode an awful lot of time and money have gone into them. That isn't to say they won't make more of them later, but it's likely they'd stick with the Torchwood mini-series style.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    To everyone who said they would take the coin toss since that would give truly random odds.

randomness doesn't work that way.

sometimes there are totally random streaks D:

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The point is the coin toss removes the psychological element, preventing the killer from predicting your move.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    It was good but again the small obvious stuff kind of stands out. Like when Sherlocok
    is going through the books for the two victims. The boxes are clearly labeled; the victims' books are separated. Yet when he's taking them out of the boxes, he takes two of the same books out the same box. I'm probably looking too much into it though, he could just be holding one from one victims box and comparing it to another.

Also, the A to Z was agonising, like last weeks taxi thing. Seriously, the minute he said a book everyone must have I immediately though dictionary and A to Z.

Love that they're showing Watson trying to get back into normality with Sarah though. That was hilarious.

I think the reason he was picking out duplicate books from the same bin was simple...why would you buy the same book twice unless you needed to make sure you had a copy? Say you misplace one or want one to take with you all the time so you can break cyphers when you see a new message instead of waiting till you get home...so you buy two copies and keep one in your bag, one at home, etc.

Although, I think that scene was a little overdone...if the police had boxed up the books they would have had a manifest of everything taken out of each persons home, so all they would have had to do is compare the manifests, not look at every book.

azith28 on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

I think the reason he was picking out duplicate books from the same bin was simple...why would you buy the same book twice unless you needed to make sure you had a copy? Say you misplace one or want one to take with you all the time so you can break cyphers when you see a new message instead of waiting till you get home...so you buy two copies and keep one in your bag, one at home, etc.

Although, I think that scene was a little overdone...if the police had boxed up the books they would have had a manifest of everything taken out of each persons home, so all they would have had to do is compare the manifests, not look at every book.

True, but then they would have to physically look through every book at was on both lists, so I guess they would have been wandering around a book store for hours looking through them. This way they could shoot the scene on set.

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well no, they could have just identified the books that both of them owned, then looked through the piles the police sent them for those crossovers. Thats easier then what sherlock appeared to be doing...looking at the 15th page, first word of every book and trying to form a coherant sentence.

Anyway, I'm loving the show.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    To everyone who said they would take the coin toss since that would give truly random odds.

What?

Tossing a single coin, for a single event, assuming a fair coin, gives a 50/50 outcome.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

What?

Tossing a single coin, for a single event, assuming a fair coin, gives a 50/50 outcome.

It's actually around 49/51% chance depending on which side of the coin is facing up before the toss.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

What?

It's actually around 49/51% chance depending on which side of the coin is facing up before the toss.

That said, I have no idea what Edward is talking about.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    That was good. Very good.

I really hope they do lots more of these.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh MAN, that ending

Nuzak on
  • Options
    JohnOrangePeelJohnOrangePeel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am extremely disappointed that Moriarty is basically
    Graham Norton's little brother

Good episode though on the whole. Maybe Moriarty will evolve as a character as the series goes on.

JohnOrangePeel on
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i thought it was the end of this series. They were doing just 3 of them right?

johnwing on
  • Options
    wetflamewetflame Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Very good episode, and very interesting portrayal of Moriarty. Hoping to see more of this (in terms of more episodes, I'm aware that there's a second series being talked up already) next year. Shame to have it end so soon.

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So many bad "no bombing in the swimming pool" jokes were unmade

BobCesca on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am extremely disappointed that Moriarty is basically
    Graham Norton's little brother

Good episode though on the whole. Maybe Moriarty will evolve as a character as the series goes on.

I really have no idea
    what was going on with that accent. It started out kind of Lloyd Grossman type Massachusetts and ended up as some kind of odd Northern Irish.

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh man. THAT ENDING. D:

Big Classy on