As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    warban wrote: »
    I should get this: y/n?

Mine craft is like an early alpha sandbox of a FPS version of a 3D graphics Dwarf fort.

If that sounds at all like your thing you will enjoy mine craft.

This is exactly what it is. If the developer gets multiplayer working reliably with all the single player features, that will pretty much be how it plays.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Janson: each tile you smack gives you 1, its just that smacking the middle of 3 makes it so the top one has nothing under it, so it pops out as well

it's just faster than smacking out the top, then the middle

they grow to a max of 3 tiles high, and need to be next to water to even be planted

Raneados on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, you can only plant bamboo on a block of earth that connects to water on at least one face. The top face counts - you can plant bamboo on underwater earth blocks, although the bamboo replaces the water in the process.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Warning: mine karts are extremely fun. do not attempt if you wish to be remotely interested in any other aspect of the game

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    This night will not end...and there is a spider hopping outside...clawing, chattering.

This game has like negative graphics and it unnerves me more than any "modern" survival horror game.

The reason is very simple: The more basic the graphics, the more you have to use your imagination, and your imagination is more powerful than any graphics card will ever be.

Doesn't it feel wonderful to use your brain again? :)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    you know what is awesome

venturing into darkness after running out of torches because you think you see a redstone deposit oop it's a spider

seriously though it's just like in the movies where you can only see the glowing of the eyes

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Paladin wrote: »
    Warning: mine karts are extremely fun. do not attempt if you wish to be remotely interested in any other aspect of the game

Man if we actually had mine karts, and not carts, this game would be even more crazy. There would be so many race tracks built.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mighty wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    You can use wood as well

wood is highly inefficient.

you can cook 4+ pieces of bacon with 1 coal,

You can only cook 1 bacon with a wood.

Im willing to bet you cant smelt 45 iron off 64 wood.

But coal is not sustainable! :P

(I can't believe I said that and it's actually true for the game. I love Minecraft!)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    eobet wrote: »
    Mighty wrote: »
    You can use wood as well

wood is highly inefficient.

you can cook 4+ pieces of bacon with 1 coal,

You can only cook 1 bacon with a wood.

Im willing to bet you cant smelt 45 iron off 64 wood.

(I can't believe I said that and it's actually true for the game. I love Minecraft!)

Go Green

Paladin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Absolutely awesome.

eobet on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

No it's not true!

Well first off the word you were probably thinking of is renewable, though sustainable is about the same thing. But with an essentially infinite world map, you will have more than enough coal to do anything you want. On a brand new map that has not even been explored at all, there are literally hundreds of thousands of units of coal.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2010

No it's not true!

Well first off the word you were probably thinking of is renewable, though sustainable is about the same thing. But with an essentially infinite world map, you will have more than enough coal to do anything you want. On a brand new map that has not even been explored at all, there are literally hundreds of thousands of units of coal.

Look, we might run out of coal some day, but it's so far in the future as to not be worth thinking about.

Also, this game needs machinery. Specifically, I want to be able to build digging machines and trains so I can have industrial tracks.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

No it's not true!

Look, we might run out of coal some day, but it's so far in the future as to not be worth thinking about.
    And in all honesty there will always be inventory editors. You don't even need to add coal, just give yourself the number of smelted items you need.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had created a pool

I planted the bamboo I'd harvested from elsewhere

The bamboo, after remaining in the water for maybe five minutes, popped out...so there was no bamboo left planted...but as it had popped out it left two things behind

It wasn't actually growing!

Janson on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    must be a bug!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yea it shouldn't be planted in the pool, it should be planted right beside the pool

Here's a picture:
    growingbamboo.jpg

Peas on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

No it's not true!

Also, this game needs machinery. Specifically, I want to be able to build digging machines and trains so I can have industrial tracks.

Ahhh... that's what they said about oil, and look where we are now! ;)

But your last sentence is scary on several levels. I truly hope that Notch won't bring the industrial revolution to Minecraft...

eobet on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Paladin wrote: »
    Has anyone seen slimes in .14/15? I've yet to encounter a single one.

Glal on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That video makes me feel so happy for some reason.

Peas on
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That video makes me feel so happy for some reason.

Peas doing his bit, working on the railroads

pabh on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

No it's not true!

But your last sentence is scary on several levels. I truly hope that Notch won't bring the industrial revolution to Minecraft...

I don't want full on industrial revolution. More like, I'd like it so you could put together man-powered drills, or water-wheel powered machines and the like. So you could have things like elevators and the like, or mobile constructions.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

No it's not true!

I don't want full on industrial revolution. More like, I'd like it so you could put together man-powered drills, or water-wheel powered machines and the like. So you could have things like elevators and the like, or mobile constructions.

Ahhh... medieval machinery... that does sound cool. I like the water-wheel powered idea.

eobet on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

No it's not true!

Ahhh... medieval machinery... that does sound cool. I like the water-wheel powered idea.

Also high-risk lava wheel technology!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can play the alpha in the browser? I'll never be bored at work again! GLORIOUS!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So Notch just posted that he wants to add the ability for SMP servers to have their own custom texture packs that are downloaded automatically to clients.

So how many Mario World and Zelda servers are there going to be now?

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    I believe it just the sound that plays when in or near a dark part of a cave. The sound can play even if there is a dark area behind a wall.

I kinda wish caves were even more creepy, like filled with the monster Notch said he might add.
    Monsters that only move towards you when you're not looking, Like for example, a bunch of statues that seem innocent enough, but one of them is actually said monster.

So... like creepers but worse?

Much worse, but maybe they would have to be a bit more different to be unique, otherwise you can just look at them while smacking them around.

Not very scary.

I'm reading back through the thread, and dear jesus if he adds weeping angels I'm never coming off of Peaceful again.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think adding some terrifying monsters that mess with your mind would be really great. The day time is so sunny and peaceful where you go about building things and collecting ore. But at night, you huddle in your steel bathtub, sword in hand praying that they don't hear you. Hoping that the smell of your fear doesn't waft out from your hovel and alert the horrors that lurk in the black.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Holy Crap......

Now your thinking with.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PBIqoBP_y4

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder who is going to make the new thread

AkimboEG volunteered and has apparently already done the OP, but he can't post it until he comes back from wherever he is in the next couple of days. So uh, I guess until this thread gets locked and someone creates a new one.

edit: oh yeah and this needs to be reposted because it's awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOfkz8YX7wY&feature=related

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man. Just fell into some lava and instantly died, losing tons of iron and diamond and redstone, including multiple diamond picks.

I pretty much want to delete the world this happened in. Sigh.

I mean, I understand consequences for dying, but it's not a good thing when losing some shit makes me not even want to play the fucking game anymore.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I had an idea for doing underwater construction via temporary reclamation.
    1)Place blocks throughout the worksite, replacing ALL water with blocks.
    2)You may take back all the blocks, working your way from top to bottom, leaving an outer wall to hold back the sea.
    3)Build structure.

Now here is the tricky part since water physics is bad.
    4a)Remove the bottom row of retaining wall blocks to let water back in. Have a supply of buckets and dump ocean water (take from sea, not from within reclaimed area or in-flow areas) into reclaimed areas. If water is flowing, dump water there. Stop all flow.
    OR
    4b)Use buckets and dump ocean water into the reclaimed space. Start filling the bottom-most later ENTIRELY so that it is still before you work any higher. Once a layer is completely still, you may remove that layers retaining wall.
    5)Repeat step 4 all the way up.

Notes:
    -Always keep in mind that two adjacent water blocks will fill an adjacent block until the water is still, so they CAN generate water(sometimes glitchy).
    -When working high up, it can be hard to dump water when no solid block are around, use scaffolding to provide a spot to target when you dump (can't dump on empty, liquid-filled spaces). You can also dump from below, normally, so that helps you complete a level.
    -Waterfalls can fill blocks to still, but it seems that the calculation is only done once, when the 'fall' happens. Remove and replace to force it to retry.
    -Glitches are frequent and water won't work properly (infinite whirlpools, for example). Just place normal blocks to remove water at location to reset.

It worked well for a 5x5x5 work site around a pillar. Took a while, but was easier than tradition builds.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Man. Just fell into some lava and instantly died, losing tons of iron and diamond and redstone, including multiple diamond picks.

I mean, I understand consequences for dying, but it's not a good thing when losing some shit makes me not even want to play the fucking game anymore.

That happened to me on Vic's SMP server. I was using persistent inventory and saving up items for building my tower that was going to go from the top to the bottom of the map.

Fell in some lava and for some reason /home didn't work so I died and lost nearly a full stack of diamond ore, 4 or 5 of coal and 3 stacks of iron.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Holy Crap......

D:

That's a mod of some sort? That's amazing.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

That happened to me on Vic's SMP server. I was using persistent inventory and saving up items for building my tower that was going to go from the top to the bottom of the map.

Fell in some lava and for some reason /home didn't work so I died and lost nearly a full stack of diamond ore, 4 or 5 of coal and 3 stacks of iron.

Ouch. In single player, I always use chests to store my stuff. Always. As soon as I have diamond, I drop it in. Same with gold and my iron ore/ingots. It is just too valuable to hold onto. Plus, all the diamond and gold are in dangerous areas.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Holy Crap......

D:

Found it on Notches blog. Seems someone re skined classic and programmed in working portals.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    LandeydaLandeyda Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Holy Crap......

D:

Here's the full thread: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=23156

Landeyda on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think adding some terrifying monsters that mess with your mind would be really great. The day time is so sunny and peaceful where you go about building things and collecting ore. But at night, you huddle in your steel bathtub, sword in hand praying that they don't hear you. Hoping that the smell of your fear doesn't waft out from your hovel and alert the horrors that lurk in the black.

For some perverse reason I want to see even more monsters:

* "Sheep" that turn into wolves when you knock-off their wool
    * Giant worms that tunnel through the underground and pop-out of the walls of your base
    * Teleporting enemies
    * Man-eating trees (you chop down a tree only for blood sucking leaves to attach to your skin)
    * Shadow creatures that extinguish torches they pass by, allowing more monsters to spawn

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

That's why you don't need to carry so much valuable stuff around with you. I have multiple safe houses in the underground with chests for storing goodies.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

That's why you don't need to carry so much valuable stuff around with you. I have multiple safe houses in the underground with chests for storing goodies.

I'm taking a break from Minecraft until SMP gets some tweaks. I was having a blast playing single player survival mode but once I got a taste of multiplayer, cooperating with other players and seeing huge structures and cities spring up while I was offline, I just had a hard time going back to single player. I'm the only one who will see the incredible towering cliffs and structures I build. But multiplayer is still too broken to be really fun.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Janson wrote: »
    I had created a pool

I planted the bamboo I'd harvested from elsewhere

The bamboo, after remaining in the water for maybe five minutes, popped out...so there was no bamboo left planted...but as it had popped out it left two things behind

It wasn't actually growing!

Yeah, you can't just have water "near" bamboo like you can for farming. You need to create rows of water between bamboo, or else when it grows, it'll detect it doesn't have enough water, and kill itself.

[water][bamboo][water]
    [water][bamboo][water]
    [water][bamboo][water]
    [water][bamboo][water]
    Machismo wrote: »
    I think I had an idea for doing underwater construction via temporary reclamation.
    1)Place blocks throughout the worksite, replacing ALL water with blocks.
    2)You may take back all the blocks, working your way from top to bottom, leaving an outer wall to hold back the sea.
    3)Build structure.

Now here is the tricky part since water physics is bad.
    4a)Remove the bottom row of retaining wall blocks to let water back in. Have a supply of buckets and dump ocean water (take from sea, not from within reclaimed area or in-flow areas) into reclaimed areas. If water is flowing, dump water there. Stop all flow.
    OR
    4b)Use buckets and dump ocean water into the reclaimed space. Start filling the bottom-most later ENTIRELY so that it is still before you work any higher. Once a layer is completely still, you may remove that layers retaining wall.
    5)Repeat step 4 all the way up.

Notes:
    -Always keep in mind that two adjacent water blocks will fill an adjacent block until the water is still, so they CAN generate water(sometimes glitchy).
    -When working high up, it can be hard to dump water when no solid block are around, use scaffolding to provide a spot to target when you dump (can't dump on empty, liquid-filled spaces). You can also dump from below, normally, so that helps you complete a level.
    -Waterfalls can fill blocks to still, but it seems that the calculation is only done once, when the 'fall' happens. Remove and replace to force it to retry.
    -Glitches are frequent and water won't work properly (infinite whirlpools, for example). Just place normal blocks to remove water at location to reset.

It worked well for a 5x5x5 work site around a pillar. Took a while, but was easier than tradition builds.

There was a post in the other thread or earlier in this thread where they were saying to just place ladders and it like sucks up water around it in a 1x1, eliminating the need to do all this shit.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg