As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I think adding some terrifying monsters that mess with your mind would be really great. The day time is so sunny and peaceful where you go about building things and collecting ore. But at night, you huddle in your steel bathtub, sword in hand praying that they don't hear you. Hoping that the smell of your fear doesn't waft out from your hovel and alert the horrors that lurk in the black.

For some perverse reason I want to see even more monsters:

* "Sheep" that turn into wolves when you knock-off their wool
    * Giant worms that tunnel through the underground and pop-out of the walls of your base
    * Teleporting enemies
    * Man-eating trees (you chop down a tree only for blood sucking leaves to attach to your skin)
    * Shadow creatures that extinguish torches they pass by, allowing more monsters to spawn

If they ever make teleporting enemies, I think I'll stop playing. I don't think I could handle that kind of terror, knowing that absolutely nowhere was safe. =) I think I wouldn't even mind enemies that intentionally attacked your fortress to get to you: at least then you'd have a warning as they plowed against the stone of your walls to try and break through to you.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seriously, those sound like first edition D&D fuck-you monsters.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would be all for some sort of tunneling worm monster and perhaps a balrog (honestly was expecting one when I kept hearing the weird noises underground...."dug too deep")

Lionel-Richie on
  • iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Monsters that actively attack enclosed structures and can mine at like half the speed of a wooden pick-axe would be awesome. It would encourage you to build fortresses out of more than just dirt, wood, sheep wool or whatever crap was filling up your inventory.

Maybe obsidian and iron would be immune to monster tunneling.

Oh, and torches would prevent monsters from attacking that block or directly adjacent blocks. Except for shadow monsters which would consume torches, allowing other creeps to tear down your wall.

If shadow creatures were afraid of lava and water then that would encourage you to build moats.

iamthepieman on
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Monsters that actively attack enclosed structures and can mine at like half the speed of a wooden pick-axe would be awesome. It would encourage you to build fortresses out of more than just dirt, wood, sheep wool or whatever crap was filling up your inventory.

Maybe obsidian and iron would be immune to monster tunneling.

Oh, and torches would prevent monsters from attacking that block or directly adjacent blocks. Except for shadow monsters which would consume torches, allowing other creeps to tear down your wall.

If shadow creatures were afraid of lava and water then that would encourage you to build moats.

Totally agree...

I want a reason to built a sick fortress other than "Wow this looks awesome" because other than that, a small hut made from dirt is enough to save you through a night.

I want something that will dig, kick down wood doors, something that will make me plan my castles and set up traps etc so I can last a night.

Imagine zombie swarms?

Lt. Fragg on
    edited August 2010
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »

Imagine zombie swarms?

Not sure how accurate this is.

iamthepieman on
    edited August 2010
    Now, THAT would be awesome. I like iamthepieman's idea there. It would definitely turn the game into an interesting fortress building/defense game, but not an impossible one. Just one that would be enormously entertaining.

When I think of what you described, I picture scenarios similar to that big battle in The Two Towers... was it Helm's Deep? Yeah, that would be awesome.

VThornheart on
    edited August 2010
    Of course you could still get around all this by just building a floating house.

Until Notch implements flying gargoyle monsters that is.

iamthepieman on
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    pieman has the right idea on monsters, checks and balances, make every resource and tactic useful in it's own way. The next thing to do would be to give the player signs of what they might encounter. Roguelikes used to do this with interesting messages, but I think minecraft will have to find it's own way. Maybe different colored moons would mean something and unique sounds.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He's probably going to remove the ability to have floating rock fortress and whatnot I would assume. It's sort of silly. I mean, sand and dirt works like that, stone should too. Probably not in right now because it would cause all the caves to collapse, heh.

I mean unless it says somewhere different.

SniperGuy on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Of course you could still get around all this by just building a floating house.

Flying gargoyle monsters carrying creepers in their claws and dropping them on your head as they fly past. D:

IdolNinja on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    IdolNinja wrote: »

Flying gargoyle monsters carrying creepers in their claws and dropping them on your head as they fly past. D:

:shock:

Time to build that TNT AA gun...

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    IdolNinja wrote: »

:shock:

Time to build that TNT AA gun...

It would help to modify the timer on the TNT to do some airburst action.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    skace wrote: »
    pieman has the right idea on monsters, checks and balances, make every resource and tactic useful in it's own way. The next thing to do would be to give the player signs of what they might encounter. Roguelikes used to do this with interesting messages, but I think minecraft will have to find it's own way. Maybe different colored moons would mean something and unique sounds.

Beware the blood-red moon
    for on the night the clouds turn crimson
    the hell-beast wakes and stalks the dune
    his tread turns sand to glass
    and if ye catch a glimpse son
    turn your heel and or 'twill be your last

Beware a tinge of gold upon night's mistress
    The serpent blind can not be seen or felt
    Emerging from the sea to your distress
    Then your mind unhinged begins to melt
    Though you flee, your thoughts are with you still
    The end is near, rise against yourself and kill.

iamthepieman on
    edited August 2010
    skace wrote: »

Beware the blood-red moon
    for on the night the clouds turn crimson
    the hell-beast wakes and stalks the dune
    his tread turns sand to glass
    and if ye catch a glimpse son
    turn your heel and or 'twill be your last

Beware a tinge of gold upon night's mistress
    The serpent blind can not be seen or felt
    Emerging form the sea to your distress
    Then your mind unhinged begins to melt
    Though you flee, your thoughts are with you still
    The end is near, rise against yourself and kill.

:^:

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Notch has mentioned a red eye on the moon and flickering torches as possible ill omens for forecasting an upcoming night of absolute terror.

Frem on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    Notch has mentioned a red eye on the moon and flickering torches as possible ill omens for forecasting an upcoming night of absolute terror.

That'd be awesome.

A plague mode where the water turns to blood!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Machismo wrote: »

That'd be awesome.

That would be excellent, then I could bucket some for a blood fountain.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010

Hmm... the other alternative would be siege units that actually build structures for the purpose of reaching you, scaling your walls, or building scaffolding to reach floating fortresses.

How terrifying would that be, if 50 towers with ladders were suddenly rising up at once to connect with your flying fortress? =)

VThornheart on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What are sky towers when you have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiqneDn-VqM&feature=related

Now replace the zombie with exploding creepers

Peas on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am a firm believer that zombies should at least be able to break down wooden doors.

I suppose it would also make sense for spiders to be able to climb walls. Though the last thing I want is a giant spider dropping down from a ceiling. D:

And yeah, I think the reason stones can float is simply because caves would collapse otherwise. Though it seems to me the easiest why to fix that is to make the cave rock something that the players can't reproduce. So those cave stones can float, but nothing else could.

However I am sure a few enterprising individuals would dig out a mountain to form a giant floating castle.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Caves wouldn't collapse if he tested for connection to the ground (like the way Dwarf Fortress works). But you have to run that test every time a block is removed.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peas wrote: »
    What are sky towers when you have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiqneDn-VqM&feature=related

Now replace the zombie with exploding creepers

D:

That would introduce WMDs into Minecraft...

Hexmage-PA on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Seriously, those sound like first edition D&D fuck-you monsters.

That's what I was going for.

Maybe it would be better if they were optional monsters that only appeared on Hard difficulty...

Hexmage-PA on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Machismo wrote: »

That'd be awesome.

Regarding the eye on the moon: that'd be creepy as FUCK D:

I know there's always peaceful, but I imagine having mobs that attack your forts would really change the nature of the game; it'd kind of shift more towards building castles with defensive features instead of just going nuts and building whatever.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Caves wouldn't collapse if he tested for connection to the ground (like the way Dwarf Fortress works). But you have to run that test every time a block is removed.

That is frightening to even think about, I'd be surprised if the game would be playable like that.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited August 2010
    well, stone shouldn't work the way sand does. Sand has no adhesion so it can't support adjacent blocks that don't touch the ground. If stone worked that way you couldn't build arches, cantilevered floors or flying buttresses.

iamthepieman on
  • DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well, stone shouldn't work the way sand does. Sand has no adhesion so it can't support adjacent blocks that don't touch the ground. If stone worked that way you couldn't build arches, cantilevered floors or flying buttresses.

buttresses. Most awesome word ever.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

That is frightening to even think about, I'd be surprised if the game would be playable like that.

Easy to implement, if done right, wouldn't be troublesome at all. It's the interruption that'd be a pain, but still, he's already got that implemented with water/lava anyways.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited August 2010
    The great thing about minecraft is it can be played like an architectural simulator. I'm not talking about loads and tension points but you really do build better looking structures if you know a bit about architecture. Even if you're building a floating obsidian sky fortress, it helps if it's at least a bit grounded in structural reality. Much the same way set designers and CGI artist do better work if they keep the art grounded.

iamthepieman on
    edited August 2010

It depends on how it's programmed. The main performance hit happens the moment you remove the support because that's when the physics kick in.

Every block would have a set of information regarding which adjacent blocks are considered grounded by proxy. Then when you destroy a block you just ask the nearby blocks whether they're still grounded, and if not you determine the extent of the damage (everything connected past that point) and make the whole thing fall.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

It depends on how it's programmed. The main performance hit happens the moment you remove the support because that's when the physics kick in.

Every block would have a set of information regarding which adjacent blocks are considered grounded by proxy. Then when you destroy a block you just ask the nearby blocks whether they're still grounded, and if not you determine the extent of the damage (everything connected past that point) and make the whole thing fall.

:^: you said it better than I did.

It would work similar to how water works/ed in the classic game.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited August 2010

Yea you are right, I was just thinking that to be accurate you'd have to propagate the calculation out to every active block in the game, but that wouldn't be a very clever way to write it and there are better ways to get there.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited August 2010
    What I meant was that you'd pre-calculate all of it when the world is generated and add or subtract from existing data when changes are made. That doesn't take a lot of extra work.

UncleSporky on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a way to pick up chests with stuff in them?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What I meant was that you'd pre-calculate all of it when the world is generated and add or subtract from existing data when changes are made. That doesn't take a lot of extra work.

So the idea is to add lag to land generation, one of two processes known to kill servers?
    eobet wrote: »
    Is there a way to pick up chests with stuff in them?

No, otherwise you'd have an infinite inventory.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Doesn't it do this for sand,water, and lava already? remove something from under sand and the sand falls, right? will this cascade to other sand blocks?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Hey everyone! Jump over to the new thread!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=125526

VThornheart on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Only those on top of them. Wouldn't work for the other blocks, since those can be attached to blocks on their sides, also.

Frankly, don't really see why people want this feature. I like being able to build floating shit and not have to worry about accidentally removing a block that turns out to be pivotal to my modern sculpture of a house, sending the whole thing crashing.

Glal on