Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Ann Arbor, MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's cool, we need someone to claim your heir still.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We should just have people claiming turns. The heir situation gets all messed up over time, and it'll be easier that way.

steam_sig.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I put in to be next about a week ago.

fwKS7.png?1
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Despite my SH3 LP's hiatus if the succession ever needs an heir I can stand in in the iterim when there's no claimed spots; but kali's got it covered for the moment.

Join the Crew: Sink to the level of sinking those trying to sink us.
    PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited August 2010
    A timeline of the life and times of Henri after his rise to power, continuation of the Saga of de Vermandois.

The domain of the de Vermandois family was on the edge of disintegration due to internal strife at the time of Henri de Vermandois’ rise to power. Hostile, vengeful, deceitful, and many other terms were applied to Henri, for he was little loved and loved little in return. Even his sons held little to no loyalty to him. Matters were not helped by his distinct lack of diplomatic acumen, and within days of gaining the duchy, Henri came to the conclusion that application of soft power would have been outside his grasp. Instead, he opted for rule by fear and strength of arms, and this proved to be successful in combination with his vaunted military genius(18 martial).

At the time of his death, Henri had spawned a sizable progeny, illustrated in the associated family tree. Square symbols indicate a male, Circles a female, and any number inside the symbol indicates the age of said person when they died. If a line exists below two people, and a person is indicated between and below them, that person was born of the legitimate(or illegitimate) union between the two.

Warning, WIDE!
    Spoiler:

Years 1120 – 1130
    Spoiler:

Years 1120 – 1130
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Henri: Worst. Saint. (Candidate) Ever.

Good Lord, what a jackass.

Also, Jordan is the new King then? And save to kaliyama?

Also also, if I'm reading things right, Jordan married another de Vermandois? So his heirs will be inbred?

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fantastic update. Man, you really kept busy during your tenure!

Looks like you did the next player in line a shitload of favors, too. Lots of new territory to control and a promising heir next in line. Can't wait to see what happens next.

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Our family seems to have a lot of less-than-unrelated spouses. I guess it's the middle ages, after all.

And man, Rhan9, that's one heck of a turnaround. You didn't just hold it together, you improved things bigtime. Great job.

Be excellent to each other you stupid cunts.
    edited August 2010
    I've sent the download links to Kaliyama. Couldn't send the file by email due to the size and some problems with sending it due to that.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if Jordan's heirs will be inbred, as his wife is probably from the lesser branch of the family, meaning that by now they would be second cousins at best, possibly third cousins. I didn't dig too deep into the family tree though, and the one I posted was generated from the files, so I won't vouch for it. It looked about right, and that was good enough for me. :P

The deal with Henri's reign was, that he started with a crap reputation, horribly unpopular traits(translating to declining loyalty of his vassals) and little else. The only things he had going for him were fairly good stats and a few lucky breaks. Discovering Broadswords and few other things helped to give the army of Ile de France an edge, and with Henri leading(18 martial), the regiment never lost a fight, even against al-Murabitids. Out of all the vassals I had during my turn, the only one to never rebel was the Bishop of Toulouse. Everyone else rebelled at least once, whereas Besancon did it maybe five times, and all the de Blois provinces were runner-ups with four rebellions. Holland rebelled thrice and... You get the point. The longest time the realm was without a rebellion was 6 months. The only way to keep it together was to brutally beat everyone back in their place, repeatedly. My reputation was too damaged for me to annex the vassals, so I had to tolerate their belligerence. When the king of Burgundy was excommunicated, I took the chance to stabilize the realm through the formation of a kingdom, but in the long run that was failing as well, so I had to resort to attacking Jerusalem. Crusading shot my Piety, Prestige and reputation through the roof, and the realm stabilized. I did assassinate the de Blois', since they had been a constant thorn in my foot for the duration of their vassalage. I also didn't want the incompetent disloyal heretic to inherit, so I took a package deal with the assassins.

I was about to grab the french crown as well, but Henri died before I could do that. The realm is somewhat stable for Kaliyama, and Burgundy has a shitload of troops, and well-built provinces. The treasury is also quite large, and the income is around 107 gold per month if I remember correctly. One of the problems that he might have is that a large part of the realm was Henri's personal demesne due to annexations, and since Jordan's intrigue is lower, he might have to partition it off. The creation of new dukes may be required as well.

But yeah, it was fun, and a challenge, as the realm experienced half a dozen near-collapses, constant wars and rebellions, etc. It is hilarious that Henri was beatified, what with him pissing off every pope during his life, constant warmongering, blatant power grabs, assassinations of other nobles and his own family, and so forth. His only "pious" act was to invade Jerusalem, which he did as a last ditch political move. And it worked!

Now I'm just waiting to see how it all falls apart(or improves!) in the ensuing turns. Guess we ended up as the king of Burgundy instead of France though. I couldn't resist the temptation when the chance showed up.

steam_sig.png
  • JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We have the most messed up Europe ive ever seen.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Grey is Norway, Most of the Blue is Sweden, and Light Green is Italy. It's all kind of messed up, yeah.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Is the Reconquista still horribly failing?

Also, in one of the LPs at SA, the Isle of friggin' Mann took over the entirety of Ireland, Wales, and most of Scotland.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Relocate to Jerusalem for KOJ rebooted! Or don't.

I don't know what it is about these Paradox games that makes Sweden always a force in continental Europe. Happens all the time in EU3 too.

• The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Relocate to Jerusalem for KOJ rebooted! Or don't.

I don't know what it is about these Paradox games that makes Sweden always a force in continental Europe. Happens all the time in EU3 too.

Size of Norway with the wealth of Denmark. Once their neighbours are pacified they are almost as unassailable as England.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Is the Reconquista still horribly failing?

Also, in one of the LPs at SA, the Isle of friggin' Mann took over the entirety of Ireland, Wales, and most of Scotland.

I don't actually know, I never paid attention to Iberia, seeing how my own realm was in the process of imploding for 20 years.

steam_sig.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Superbly done! I doubt my AAR is going to be in such great detail, but I will do what I can.

fwKS7.png?1
    edited August 2010
    No need. In hindsight, I probably should've been less detailed to spare myself some effort, but so many interesting things happened, and I wanted to at least give them a nod.

Also, I put Henri down as a Saint, since in my experience everyone who gets beatified gets sainted afterwards.

steam_sig.png
  • spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User
    edited August 2010
    Just wanted to say, I'm far too busy to actually involve myself in this, but I have been a silent but enthralled spectator. Really hope it goes all the way!

edited August 2010
    Status kaliyama?

edited August 2010
    Any progress yet?

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    I PMed kali and got nothing. If there's nothing by the end of the day, somebody else want to claim the save? Both Rhan and I have it I believe.

edited August 2010
    I'll hop back into the rotation after you again if we're the only ones doing this.

edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'll do it myself if:

1) kali doesn't show up
    2) No one else claims it by Sunday at midnight or so

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I desire updates. If the next in line for succession must be... removed... then so be it.

edited August 2010
    Do it, K. Fulfill the prophecy.

edited August 2010
    Nothing from kali still; if you want the save, post in the thread.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm glad you guys are letting this die so it doesn't get bumped anymore. That way I can avoid buying Crusader Kings which seems pretty cool.

;)

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited August 2010
    I'm glad you guys are letting this die so it doesn't get bumped anymore. That way I can avoid buying Crusader Kings which seems pretty cool.

;)

Dooo eeeeiiittt....

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Agh. I go away for vacation and I come back to a half dead thread.

What software do you guys usually use for screen shots? I don't think print screen will do it here.

steam_sig.png
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If he doesn't post by midnight I'd be willing to give it a go.

My current CK game is stuck in an irritating position that may take a couple of tries to work through. My awesome leader with 15000 prestige just got seriously wounded helping his vassals re-conquer the Duchy of Tolouse and is 58. Meanwhile his only son is 14 and has pneumonia. When his son ends up dying early the last in the line of succession is a bishop who is 58 and has no children. Thankfully I have enough money to pay off people who get ornery during a change of state, but it's still a dicey situation.

The worst part is that my last save is right after the war with Tolouse, so I'd have to backtrack a good 10 years or so just to get out of the situation.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to try to avoid playing until we hit EU3, since CK loves crashing on my machine.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    On CK the impressive image capturing software we use is called "hitting F11." :P

I think that's true of all Paradox games, and shift + F11 in EU3 gives you a world map.

edited August 2010
    CK crashes on me a lot too, but I have it set to autosave every year, and normally I save before major events, so it is playable. Normally it crashes about every 10 to 15 years which can be a decently long play session depending on what's going on.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Alright, Lowlander has played some turns! He says update tomorrow though perhaps not the entirety of his reign. We're back on the road.

Anybody want our potentially inbreeding heir?

edited August 2010
    King Jordan I de Nouvelle Burgogne

and his misadventures with the bastard Serlo de Vermandois.
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Yay pointless overseas wars!

That aren't part of our ancestral claims.

This is obviously the correct thing to do.

edited August 2010
    ...continued
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Awesome, subjugate the hell out of them. I find it funny that we're creating religious orders with one hand, and blowing others up with the other. It's got to confuse the pope.

edit: Poor Serlo.

edited August 2010
    Oh, I'd like to request a map interlude at the end of your reign. Ideally with helpful labels. Or send me the save and I'll do it.

Spain
    France
    British Isles
    Scandinavia
    Germany
    Italy
    Russia
    Holy Land

Though you should be able to combine some of those into single shots.

edited August 2010
    I will do that. I'll try to focus on showing more map stuff to give people perspective. It doesn't help that when I actually play the game, most of the time I keep it on the relationship overlay so I can see where the threats are, and what I have claims on.

It bugs me. There IS NO SPAIN. France has some holdings down there, but otherwise it is a horde of Heathens.

steam_sig.png