As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DDO] Dungeons & Dragons Online - Want people to play with? Top of the OP for info

• ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, a druid requires all kinds of new assets. New fighter class - you tweak a few numbers, maybe add some special gear, bam, it's ready to go in. The new cleric class they added uses standard cleric spells, so it was also trivial to add (relatively speaking).

Druids require a mess of new spells and accompanying animations on top of wildshaping. Then, the programming part aside, they have to balance the mechanics against current classes, and decide what they're changing from the base pen and paper game.

I doubt they even have the resources for this now that they're free-to-play. They get a lot more return adding new adventure content or the like, instead.

ronrab on
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have to say that I'm impressed with DDO in its current form.

I bought into it when it first came out, and I was unimpressed. It was extremey group oriented when it first came out, to the point that my rogue couldn't make it through a lot of the same level quests. There were few rest shrines, and potions didn't drop at nearly the rate they do now.

I'm the type of person who likes to solo for a bit to get acclimated to a game, and it didn't offer any of that back when it opened up.

The whole starting area disdn't exist, it was basically an island with NPCs who told you how to work then interface, and then they shat you out onto the main city. It was dreadful.

Its too bad that they didn't spend more time in beta, because as it stands right now, the game is worth a $15 subscription, the free to play add ons are regrettable. Even still this game is good fun even if you only play the free to play part, and quit when you get to the point where you would have to grind exp instead of going to new dungeons.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So someone just told me DDO is free to play (I'm kind of late on this bandwagon) so I thought, awesome, a combination of the style of RPG I love -- D&D -- with the gameplay style I love -- MMORPG.

I figured others would share in my enthusiasm. I thought this would be quite a popular game amongst PA people and I would be ridiculed for discovering this gem so late.

But uh... this thread is dead. So what's up with that? What's wrong with this game, which I'm downloading as I write this post, that you all abandoned it?

Cognisseur on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    So someone just told me DDO is free to play (I'm kind of late on this bandwagon) so I thought, awesome, a combination of the style of RPG I love -- D&D -- with the gameplay style I love -- MMORPG.

I figured others would share in my enthusiasm. I thought this would be quite a popular game amongst PA people and I would be ridiculed for discovering this gem so late.

But uh... this thread is dead. So what's up with that? What's wrong with this game, which I'm downloading as I write this post, that you all abandoned it?

It's really a game that needs people to play with when you get past a certain point. This is not a bad thing, but as the Lookouts all either stoped playing or got to some insane level there was just no one to play with.

I've heard there are good Pubs but I was just not willing to try them out.

It's sad too, because I really liked this game, I just play a lot less then most folks so they out level me in a no time flat.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »

Each server has it's own guild section on the official forums. If you want to play and the PA guild isn't active, check there for more info (or just play and join a guild that you click with).

Reiten on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think a big problem we ran into was people getting bottlenecked in content and getting lost on where to go even. That's part of why I ended up stepping away from the game.

Henroid on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's certainly was true but the last couple of updates have helped tremendously for F2P only players. Removing the leveling sigil nonsense, adding quest banners to level appropriate quests, fixing the F2P/P2P quest giver icons, and the addition of the 3 new F2P quests has made it slightly easier to get to the mid teens being completely F2P.
    I play regularly, I just don't play on my Lookouts characters very often anymore.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I play with my girlfriend and some RL friends in Sarlona, i tried to convince them all to join The Lookouts but they wanted to do their own thing. I still play, but on Sarlona.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So is the PA guild dead, or reduced in capacity? If there's no one I'm familiar with on there, I might as well stop downloading. I've got no one in RL to play with, and I've gotten somewhat cynical about the people who tend to inhabit MMOs.

MKR on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I loaded this up again last night after a long hiatus. I had forgotten how many hotbars of abilities and gear this game used and I had to spend a bit just trying to remember what gear was situational, what was clicky, and what abilities were bread and butter.

I was never part of the lookouts, though. I mostly played with my RL friends. It was pretty fun, but I forgot how unforgiving the game could be.

What is this guild level/rank thing all about?

Niceguy Myeye on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yesterday a thread was started in SE++ for DDO, so there's a fresh batch of players there. Here's a link to the thread if you want details or want to participate. Try to have fun and not take the game seriously.

Henroid on
  • RugarRugar
    uncloaks and casts Raise Dead on this smelly corpse...

I read about the change to F2P over a year ago here on the PA forums and I've been playing ever since. I never joined Lookouts, but I did play with a few of you at one time or another. Just wanted to let you know that if you haven't played in a while, DDO is still going strong and Turbine has been spending a fair bit of time on new content and a little bit of bug squashing. Come back and visit!

If you want to find someone to run with, look me up on my mains Archellus or Andrialla. I'm in inveterate altaholic and I have characters at all levels...

/me Recloaks.

Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    uncloaks and casts Raise Dead on this smelly corpse...

I read about the change to F2P over a year ago here on the PA forums and I've been playing ever since. I never joined Lookouts, but I did play with a few of you at one time or another. Just wanted to let you know that if you haven't played in a while, DDO is still going strong and Turbine has been spending a fair bit of time on new content and a little bit of bug squashing. Come back and visit!

If you want to find someone to run with, look me up on my mains Archellus or Andrialla. I'm in inveterate altaholic and I have characters at all levels...

/me Recloaks.

Rugar on
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just a heads up for anyone interested in getting some adventure packs.

I managed to get 5+ packs for 50% off the last couple of weeks and this week is filled with even more adventure packs:

http://www.ddo.com/ddostoreonedaysale
    Today: The Catacombs, 125 points
    Tomorrow: The Vault of Night, 375
    Thursday: The Necropolis, 175
    Friday: The Demon Sands, 425

Will have all but 3 adventure packs once this sale is over :D

Shanadeus on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looks like that Neverwinter MMO was confrimed by Wizards of the Coast today at the D&D Experience, and it'll be 4E based too.

Undead Scottsman on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looks like that Neverwinter MMO was confrimed by Wizards of the Coast today at the D&D Experience, and it'll be 4E based too.

Any good information about it available?

Elvenshae on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nope, just that the upcoming Neverwinter pnp RPG supplement is a tie-in. Here's someone's notes from the panel.
    https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1COLESXZdIu9Uo3AUyO5UCKdlVFdZc-wdcuQ3gEQ11ts

Undead Scottsman on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nope, just that the upcoming Neverwinter pnp RPG supplement is a tie-in. Here's someone's notes from the panel.
    https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1COLESXZdIu9Uo3AUyO5UCKdlVFdZc-wdcuQ3gEQ11ts

Gracie, signore!

Elvenshae on
    edited January 2011
    While we're at it with this thread again, is there any information from the OP that needs to be updated / relinked? Trying to be a good housekeeper!

Henroid on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I started playing again yesterday. Needed something to do while I wait for RIFT to launch, and I don't feel like wasting anymore time in Beta, so I'll probably skip most, if not all, of the Open Beta.

I decided to start fresh on a new server (I have a few level 20's on Thelannis) and stay F2P for now.
    (Currently I have a nearly lvl 4 Rogue named Keredain and a lvl 1 Fighter named Reignfire, on Cannith)

Half-Elves and Half-Orcs are in game now, which was a surprise to me, since I lost track of the game maybe 6-8 months ago. The first time I saw a Half-Orc it was very cool, because I had a total "WTF?" moment, which I thought was appropriate.

So, I'll be around if anyone low-level wants someone to play with. At least for the next few weeks =P

Bloodshed on
    edited February 2011
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    Half-Elves and Half-Orcs are in game now

:!!:

Henroid on
    edited February 2011
    They were on a 50% sales as well a couple of days ago.
    But what you guys missed out on was the 50% sales of every single adventure pack a couple of weeks ago :3

I now have access to all the content in the game and plan on just taking it easy and playing through it at my own leisure.

Also, they've unfortunately raised the price on Drow, Warforged, Monk and Favored soul (at least I got the classes when they were 50%)

Shanadeus on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, some of the prices for the Races are steep, too.

1195 for Half-Elves and 1295 for Half-Orcs, iirc.

I snagged Shan-To-Kor and Tangleroot Gorge adventure packs with some leftoever points I had from when I was last a VIP. Anyone with an alt in the 3-6 range I'd love to get together and run STK/TR or any other free adventures. I'm usually on during the day and late at night (Post midnight, EST).

Bloodshed on
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I just got into DDO and I really like the combat and questing system. However, from a PVE perspective, is getting quests and then going to their respective instances the bulk of PVE here? I'm completely okay with that, I just want to know what I'm missing out on if I just pick up quests and charge through their instances.

I've also noticed that quests are repeatable, do they scale? If I want to repeat a level 2 quest at level 10 will I be able to and will the rewards match my level?

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    edited February 2011
    So I just got into DDO and I really like the combat and questing system. However, from a PVE perspective, is getting quests and then going to their respective instances the bulk of PVE here? I'm completely okay with that, I just want to know what I'm missing out on if I just pick up quests and charge through their instances.

I've also noticed that quests are repeatable, do they scale? If I want to repeat a level 2 quest at level 10 will I be able to and will the rewards match my level?
    To the first, more or less. There are twelve man raids and wilderness areas also, but they sure aren't the majority of the game. As to the second, They scale in so far as the quest level is raised by one on hard and by two on elite. Epic difficulty is only for level 20's. The loot level scales with the difficulty not by player level.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cool, I've really been enjoying this questing/dungeon hybrid quite a bit.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    edited February 2011
    There's a pretty awesome event going on right now in DDO.
    First off you go to a pirate island where you slay pirates to get doubloons, treasure maps and treasure map pieces. The doubloons can be traded in for a variety of items, including upgrades to a pirate hat that everyone who's logged into the game before the 22nd gets. The treasure maps are used up and reveal a location on the map where you can open up a treasure chest for some really sweet loot and the treasure map pieces are handed in to a collector who opens up a special quest once 5000 map pieces has been haned in.

A special quest that's awesome fun.

You get transported to the crystal cove where you're put in charge of a Kobold mining operation looking to get some dragonshards in this special cave. To guide them to the crystals you have to buy incense sticks that you then place out in a path that the kobolds will follow. In addition to these incense sticks you can get healing sticks (that heal nearby kobolds), teleporters (that teleport kobolds who are carrying crystals back to base), extra workers (extra kobolds) and of course big barrels (placed down on teh ground and doubles the carrying capacity of the kobold that pick it up.

In addition to this you have to defend your simple-minded Kobold miner as pirates find their way into this cave and try to disrupt your operations. You also have to beware of the dangers that lurk inside the cave system as you mine deeper and deeper in.

Shanadeus on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've started playing this again, but with my son. He's 6 and really enjoyed playing tabletop D&D (albeit an extremely simplified verison since he's still learning to read and all) and wanted to give this a go after seeing an ad.

So, I created an account for him and rolled up - at his request - a halfling fighter. I put together a halfling rogue and we've finished Korthos island together; I'm doing all the text-reading and trap-disabling, he's smashing things. He's having a blast. :)

citizen059 on
    edited March 2011
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I've started playing this again, but with my son. He's 6 and really enjoyed playing tabletop D&D (albeit an extremely simplified verison since he's still learning to read and all) and wanted to give this a go after seeing an ad.

So, I created an account for him and rolled up - at his request - a halfling fighter. I put together a halfling rogue and we've finished Korthos island together; I'm doing all the text-reading and trap-disabling, he's smashing things. He's having a blast. :)

Okay, that's pretty awesome father-son time there. :D

Henroid on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    citizen059 wrote: »

Okay, that's pretty awesome father-son time there. :D

Haha yeah, you should've seen his face when he first saw the white dragon flying around in the sky. The reaction was something along the lines of "Oh WOW a dragon...wait, a DRAGON? DADDY RUN!!" :lol:

citizen059 on
  • BraidsBraids Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    i registered just to find people to play this lol

Braids on
  • ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Have played DDO off and on since it went free, not sure why but the other night I randomly decided to install it again. No reason at the time but I just knew it had to be done, days later I get a real urdge to play something D&D related but that doesn't require having friends and is a bit quicker paced. Thanks past self, this will do the trick!

ChuckNorrisTypeR on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2011
    So I'm going through the Vale of Twilight quests and they're pretty neat.
    Especially the rainbow one where you
    are in complete darkness that can only be lit up by a sceptre that one of your party members have to carry around.

Shanadeus on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    So I'm going through the Vale of Twilight quests and they're pretty neat.
    Especially the rainbow one where you
    are in complete darkness that can only be lit up by a sceptre that one of your party members have to carry around.
    You can also summon a Lantern Archon. I regularly tell my party members who have summon spells to drag along Lantern Archons to act as additional light sources. The quest is a lot easier now (in the last update), due to constructs having lower resistances than before (They are no longer immune to Force damage, for example).

It also has randomized traps and spike pits, which combined with the darkness can be deadly even for veterans at the quest.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    rainbow in the dark can eat every dick ever

fuck that stupid dungeon and fuck running it like 15 times for greensteel crafting shit

PiptheFair on
    edited May 2011
    Buh, rainbow is easy enough. Coalescence chamber on the other hand.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    coalescence chamber is easy

just that it takes 30 minutes with an epic geared party

PiptheFair on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've run Rainbow many times solo on my Wizard. It takes about 10-15 minutes (arcanes have an advantage in that they can bypass 1/3rd of the fighting with D Door). The only real problems are some of the unique traps, but as long as you have proper resists, it's fine. Coal Chamber takes way way too long. The fastest I've run Coal was 30 minutes. And if you miss a jump, you can really kiss a fast run goodbye.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited May 2011
    with the group I used to run with I think we did rainbow on hard in 17 minutes?

it's just a tremendously annoying dungeon to run

PiptheFair on
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Well this is a bit of a bump but its big news for DDO.
    Hi everyone!

I am very excited today to share the news of DDO's first ever premium expansion 'Menace of the Underdark' which will be releasing to our players in just a few months during Summer 2012!

This will be the biggest release we've ever done for DDO and it is loaded with many long-time top player requested features including an increase in the level cap into Epic levels to a new cap of 25, the introduction of the Druid class, and our first-ever adventures set in the Forgotten Realms setting!

Please check out our new 'Menace of the Underdark' web site to find out more.

We will plan to add more information and assets to the site over the next few months and also roll out some forums discussion threads and dev diaries to let you get a peek at some of our plans.

That is just the beginning of lots of good things coming to DDO in 2012! I hope you are as excited as we are for what we expect to be DDO's best year yet! Please help us spread the word to others who might be interested and stay tuned for more details coming soon!

Happy year of the dragon !
    -Fernando.

PS We have a big XP boost in-game this weekend to celebrate our big announcement and the start of the year of the Dragon ! It should help those of us who have some characters to level and get ready to face the dangers we will face in the Underdark!

Not sure how I feel about getting Forgotten Realms in an Eberron game.

Oh well, the one thing I hoped they wouldn't do they're going to. Fuck epic levels seriously, fuck them.

steam_sig.png