Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Someone made a new [chat]

15859606264

Posts

  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Disregard cash. Acquire credit card rewards points.

    Damn it, it's fucking noon. I demand to know if Yami shit on a desk yet.
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo is most punctual conversationalist.

    PSN: allenquid
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Read an article about private dentist clinics a while back. A newspaper had their journalist go to a local clinic and concluded that he had no holes and good teeth.

    80% of the private clinics wanted to yank one or more tooth out.

  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Echo is most punctual conversationalist.

    You replied to my OP on page 39. Just sticking to the schedule here, don't want to rush you.

  • BogartBogart MR. Lady Anime Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My old man told me some stories about dentists in his youth. As well as the guys who would go door to door and offer to yank all of them out for kids (because dentistry throughout your life is expensive and false ones are much, much cheaper), there were guys who fill in the natural crevices in your back teeth and charge you for a filling.

  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2010
    Judge Death is a fictional character of the Judge Dredd universe recounted in the UK comic 2000 AD. He is the leader of the Dark Judges, a sinister group of undead law enforcers from the alternate dimension of Deadworld, where all life has been declared a crime since only the living commit crimes.

    That reads like a goddamned parody.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And it's appreciated!

    I shall craft a reply and hand it to the mail boy to post forth with.

    PSN: allenquid
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I still think it sucks that the Nottingham movie will never get made.

    Thanks, Russel Crowe.

  • HonkHonk Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Eating a mashed potato

    Yet you can afford internets, so you clearly aren't starving

    what are you, I-

    oh, wait

    Only poor people eat mashed potatoes?

    Or am I missing something?

  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2010
    Potatoes in general suck

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Potatoes in general suck

    And you claim Irish Ancestry.

    Turn in your Leprechaun Hat.

  • TaranisTaranis Every time I hear this groove, It makes me wanna move.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Corbius wrote: »
    PMCs need medics don't they Res?

    You could become a mercenary.

    Aren't they just grossly overpaid, overequipped, undertrained security guards nowadays?

    Yes.

    They usually make $500 a day, and most do little more than convoy security or fob security. It would be worth it if only to invest in your future.

    I read somewhere that the average pay is roughly $150,000.

    Even if I just did that for a year, which I really think would probably be dreadfully boring, I'd have $150,000 (I am assuming they provide gear, lodging, and food...). I can't really think of what I would do with $150,000. I mean I guess I could probably think of something. But I'm not really jumping at the opportunity to earn some easy money.

    500*(365-90)=137500

    Which is what my buddy in Triple Canopy will be making in Afghanistan.

    You know how hard it is to find a job out here in the civilian market? Imagine how useful having a balance like that would be after you graduate/ETS. You could open an IRA, it could serve as a down payment on a house, you could start your own business, etc.

    It doesn't sound boring to me at all. I would love to sit on the FOB in a nice air conditioned conex, playing video games on high speed internet, and maybe going outside the wire occasionally to pull convoy security for civilian contractors, while making $500 a day. If I didn't have a history of seizures, I would be doing just that right now.

    / steam profile / mwo handle: calverin / 3ds: 1349-6311-4743 /
    nerosig_zps80ae1f48.png
  • HonkHonk Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Eating a mashed potato

    Yet you can afford internets, so you clearly aren't starving

    what are you, I-

    oh, wait

    Only poor people eat mashed potatoes?

    Or am I missing something?

    Irish. Tav is Irish.

    PSN: allenquid
  • BogartBogart MR. Lady Anime Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Judge Death is a fictional character of the Judge Dredd universe recounted in the UK comic 2000 AD. He is the leader of the Dark Judges, a sinister group of undead law enforcers from the alternate dimension of Deadworld, where all life has been declared a crime since only the living commit crimes.

    That reads like a goddamned parody.

    Lots of Judge Dredd skates alongside the edges of parody, and a ton of it is satirical. I mean, the hero is basically a facist virgin who ruthlessly stomps down dangerous outbreaks of democracy any chance he gets. But he's also utterly dedicated to the law and justice and takes no personal reward for his work. And he has also personally killed about 3 billion people (most of whom died during the Apocalypse War against East Meg 1, when Dredd vaporised the city with nukes). Man, the Apocalypse War is such a great story.

    Judge Death is both a really scary dude who brutally murders pretty much everyone he meets, and an incredibly funny character.

    His real name is Sydney D'eath.

  • BogartBogart MR. Lady Anime Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mean Machine Angel is another character who sounds terrible but turns out to be glorious and wonderful. Shy kid operated on by his insane father, giving him a massive robotic arm, removing his other arm, putting a dial on his head to control his mood ("On 1 I'm surly, on 2 I git mean, on 3 I'm downright brutal, and you don't want me to go up to 4 on ya") and wrapping the whole bundle up with a great hick accent.

  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2010
    Taranis wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Corbius wrote: »
    PMCs need medics don't they Res?

    You could become a mercenary.

    Aren't they just grossly overpaid, overequipped, undertrained security guards nowadays?

    Yes.

    They usually make $500 a day, and most do little more than convoy security or fob security. It would be worth it if only to invest in your future.

    I read somewhere that the average pay is roughly $150,000.

    Even if I just did that for a year, which I really think would probably be dreadfully boring, I'd have $150,000 (I am assuming they provide gear, lodging, and food...). I can't really think of what I would do with $150,000. I mean I guess I could probably think of something. But I'm not really jumping at the opportunity to earn some easy money.

    500*(365-90)=137500

    Which is what my buddy in Triple Canopy will be making in Afghanistan.

    You know how hard it is to find a job out here in the civilian market? Imagine how useful having a balance like that would be after you graduate/ETS. You could open an IRA, it could serve as a down payment on a house, you could start your own business, etc.

    It doesn't sound boring to me at all. I would love to sit on the FOB in a nice air conditioned conex, playing video games on high speed internet, and maybe going outside the wire occasionally to pull convoy security for civilian contractors, while making $500 a day. If I didn't have a history of seizures, I would be doing just that right now.

    ...Hm.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know what Americans mean by it, but when someone says "IRA" my first thought is "Silly geese who killed lots of people".

  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I've never read much Dredd, but yeah, it's all really heavy on the satire.

  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know what Americans mean by it, but when someone says "IRA" my first thought is "Silly geese who killed lots of people".

    That's what we mean, too. You know... investment bankers and rich people and stuff. :P

  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know what Americans mean by it, but when someone says "IRA" my first thought is "Silly geese who killed lots of people".

    Retirement accounts killed my family.

    Damn it, it's fucking noon. I demand to know if Yami shit on a desk yet.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    I know what Americans mean by it, but when someone says "IRA" my first thought is "Silly geese who killed lots of people".

    That's what we mean, too. You know... investment bankers and rich people and stuff. :P

    Somehow I doubt Bobby Sands was a Wall Street Wizard.

  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Potatoes in general suck

    And you claim Irish Ancestry.

    Turn in your Leprechaun Hat.

    Oh no, now I won't get to eat potatoes for every meal and play Gaelic football

    ...

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    I know what Americans mean by it, but when someone says "IRA" my first thought is "Silly geese who killed lots of people".

    That's what we mean, too. You know... investment bankers and rich people and stuff. :P

    Somehow I doubt Bobby Sands was a Wall Street Wizard.

    I want to make a horridly distasteful joke about starving, but the words just aren't coming to mind. It's too early for wit.

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    I know what Americans mean by it, but when someone says "IRA" my first thought is "Silly geese who killed lots of people".

    That's what we mean, too. You know... investment bankers and rich people and stuff. :P

    Somehow I doubt Bobby Sands was a Wall Street Wizard.

    I want to make a horridly distasteful joke about starving, but the words just aren't coming to mind. It's too early for wit.

    "If he was he'd probably hunger for money"?

  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    I know what Americans mean by it, but when someone says "IRA" my first thought is "Silly geese who killed lots of people".

    That's what we mean, too. You know... investment bankers and rich people and stuff. :P

    Somehow I doubt Bobby Sands was a Wall Street Wizard.

    I want to make a horridly distasteful joke about starving, but the words just aren't coming to mind. It's too early for wit.

    "If he was he'd probably hunger for money"?

    Not bad, not bad.

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Hey Jacob!

    Found your rpg.net stuff. I dunno why, but I love it when I find someone I know in another part of the internet.

    I agree with you about that horrible thread. Those guys are crazy. D&D is social. I do think a DM retaining final veto helps with troublesome players (I have a rules-lawyer guy in mine who will actually argue against other players being able to do cool stuff, so I just say 'It's fine. NO IT'S FINE.)

    But yeah, co-operative world-building is good, and there's no need to deny the players much.

    I hate people who tell you 'what D&D is'. Those guys insisting that authoritarian DMing is just how D&D has always been. Some of the people in our CF thread will tell you that D&D is a tactical combat game, and if you don't want that you shouldn't be playing it.

    Bullshit! Any RPG can be whatever the hell you want it to be. Any game can, really. I used to play Trivial Pursuit as a drinking game.

    I think some of the desire to limit what players can be comes out of the simulationist ideology that the players aren't special. In their world-building, a lot of people decided that everyone was part of the class/race system. So normal peasants were 0-level and the local lord was a 5th-level fighter. Then if you want to be the only cleric on Athas, well you're breaking the paradigm.

    But it's a bullshit limiting paradigm really. My NPCs have access to powers and sometimes made-up classes that the PCs don't, and that's fine.

    Freedom and inclusivity should be your watchwords, and there's nothing in that thinking that precludes low-fantasy grim campaigns or whatever.

    Yech.

    Man, it's a relief to hear you say that. I was beginning to think I was the crazy one.

    I freely admit that MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY sends my hackles up. I don't want to submit to some tinpot tyrant, even over something as ultimately inconsequential as a game.

  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2010
    Guys don't make fun of Bobby Sands that's not cool : (

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Potatoes in general suck

    And you claim Irish Ancestry.

    Turn in your Leprechaun Hat.

    Oh no, now I won't get to eat potatoes for every meal and play Gaelic football

    ...

    Hurling is one of the best sports ever.

  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Potatoes in general suck

    And you claim Irish Ancestry.

    Turn in your Leprechaun Hat.

    Oh no, now I won't get to eat potatoes for every meal and play Gaelic football

    ...

    Hurling is one of the best sports ever.

    Damn, I knew the Irish drank a lot but I had no idea...

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Guys don't make fun of Bobby Sands that's not cool : (

    As an interesting aside, two of the hunger strikers are buried in my hometown.

  • ResRes __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Potatoes in general suck

    And you claim Irish Ancestry.

    Turn in your Leprechaun Hat.

    Oh no, now I won't get to eat potatoes for every meal and play Gaelic football

    ...

    Hurling is one of the best sports ever.

    Well that I can get behind

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Potatoes in general suck

    And you claim Irish Ancestry.

    Turn in your Leprechaun Hat.

    Oh no, now I won't get to eat potatoes for every meal and play Gaelic football

    ...

    Hurling is one of the best sports ever.

    Damn, I knew the Irish drank a lot but I had no idea...

    holy shit, best post ever

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We also gave the world "Craic".

    Craic is an awesome word.

  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Mental disorder OP sounds like "Hey I found this on an anti-vaxx site".

  • TavTav Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We also gave the world "Craic".

    Craic is an awesome word.

    and Graham Linehan

  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Mental disorder OP sounds like "Hey I found this on an anti-vaxx site".

    Yep.

    That OP and the Obama OP both seem like posts from people who have no intention of ever reading that thread ever again.

    wrexsig1.jpg
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo you are not Super Mod. You have no super powers.

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Corbius wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Mental disorder OP sounds like "Hey I found this on an anti-vaxx site".

    Yep.

    That OP and the Obama OP both seem like posts from people who have no intention of ever reading that thread ever again.

    Sort of like a "Hey, here's a topic, now talk about it!" kind of fashion?

  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Obama thread confuses me. Why did it not just end on, "He won the democratic primary, ran in the 2008 election, and was chosen by the majority of American voters to lead the country for the next four years." ?

    Damn it, it's fucking noon. I demand to know if Yami shit on a desk yet.
This discussion has been closed.