As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E PbP]In the Wake of the Plague [OOC Thread]

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wil
    Orphan, Hearthrob, Shiftless Layabout

Wil doesn't really remember his parents. He occasionally catches scents or hears sounds that he thinks might remind him of them, but they died far too early for him to have known them at all. Being a local orphan, Wil grew up without a lot of direct adult supervision, and it shows. He's cocky, self-reliant and more than willing to steal someone else's supper if it means the difference between eating and going hungry. Luckily for Wil, he's grown into a handsome enough lad that he rarely dines alone unless he wants to. Most of his meals come at the expense of others, whether or not they know it.

Wil's popularity is rather surprising given that he has no job. And no house. Really, no connections of any kind beyond the regulars at the local tavern and whichever bed he's trying to get into that night. When he can't find someone willing to share accommodations, he typically spends the entire evening drinking and getting into trouble before passing out in the morning in whatever strange house he wanders into after its occupants leave for work. His only real possessions are a few random keepsake objects, enough assorted household materials to comprise an equivalent to an Adventurer's Kit and the chainmail and halberd he won off a local guardsman in a hand of poker last week. Since he lacks a permanent residence, it's easier just to cart all that stuff around with him all the time. Besides, he's just charming enough that folks tend to forget that he's covered in a thick mesh of metal most of the time.

Though he's been rather thoroughly altered by the plague, the changes are subtle enough that even Wil himself isn't aware that he is "different." He does "look young" compared to others his age (he seems to be around 18, instead of his actual mid-twenties) and he has a force of personality that borders on the supernatural. When Wil is enjoying himself, the entire bar is rocking. When Wil is angry, tempers flare and brawls break out. Being a self-centered n'er do well, Wil hasn't ever really thought to question these sorts of coincidences. He just takes them in stride, assuming that it's just another sign that the world truly does revolve around him.

Wil, Half-Elf Ardent

Appearance:
    Picture this head;
    Wil.png

On this body;
    Henry_Winkler_Fonz_290x400.jpg

So basically this;
    000k7dt6

Personality:

Basically, the Fonz if he was willing to bang your mom to have a warm bed for the night, and then steal your silverware on the way out in the morning.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nikelas Eladrin Ranger
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2398

Background:
    To this day Nikelas is not sure what happened. He had been tracking a group of fey that had been terrorizing a local village when he suddenly seemed to fall through the world. He lost consciousness and drifted in blackness for a time. Eventually he awoke in a the material world and discovered he had no way of returning to his home. Despite this, he has soldiered on in the years since the plague has occurred, trying to protect those he could from the new dangers that began popping up basically around the same time he arrived. It is not his first choice, but he is determined to make his new home as safe as he made the fey.

Personality:
    Nikelas is friendly to everyone he meets despite the distrusting glances and outright hostility he encounters from time to time. Always ready to share a bottle of wine and a drinking song with tavern goers, an epic story around a campfire with fellow travelers, or take some time to play with children. Not one to let injustice go on, he tries to stick up for the weak and protect those that cannot protect themselves. He believes that their is no way that people will survive in the new world unless they can see past their differences and work together.

Token:
    elf_ranger.jpg

Edited for spelling.

licwidcake on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just a heads up/reminder:

I'll be closing submissions at 7:00pm EST today and start reviewing. I'll have the selections posted either tonight or tomorrow. Plan to get things rolling Friday.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lilika Silverheart, Halfling Rogue

Background:
    Lilika was the leader of a lucrative footpad organization in Vandis before the plague. Business was good and despite her sex she saw high profit and much respect from her peers. The plague ruined everything for her. Lilika had seen many strange occurrences as a result of the plague, hers? She was growing younger by the day. In the aftermath, she holed herself up for nearly a week. Things stopped as suddenly as they started, and at a diminutive 3'10" Lilika was promptly chased out of leadership by her allies. Lilika thought she had just regressed in age, so it only made sense that she would grow again. Disguising herself and taking up a new persona she waited until the day she could rise up again to take control of her old organization. Years later, she realized that wasn't going to happen.

Lilika moved to the village of Khenua and resumed her old moniker, passing herself as a human child. She found that the diminished size and childlike appearance aided in her profession. Her youthful appearance brought her free meals and warm beds on occasion. Besides, people were oft predisposed to ignoring children. Even when they've just bumped into them and cut the strings on their purse or are lurking around a particularly wealthy looking house.
    Personality:
    Lilika was a hardened criminal by environment, not nature. The dramatically less-hostile environment of Khenua and many years of living as a child has softened her, and she definitely experiences philanthropic moments. She is poised at the cusp of either turning into a fairly good person with slightly questionable morals, or returning to her old self.
    Picture & Token:
    avatar.jpg?type=user&ts=0314-1253
    77dac38d2d7767ecf33708282c19c42f.png?v=170550

Snowdown on
  • SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never got answers to my questions, so I'm sorry I can't expand on my background.

Squints on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Which questions? I may have missed something.

Chanus on
    edited August 2010
    He said:

Vimak is big... like, really big! The goliath may be able to pass off as simply a huge human - maybe tales of his mountain home having great fish and water that built him up had been passed about. The real tale could be that the plague has... augmented his body, causing him to grow into a form that is basically the Goliath class.

I can expand on this background, if you wish and everything else passes your wants in terms of this campaign setting.

I think he also asked if you had any background rules (I think you said General only)

Snowdown on
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I did miss that as a question.

Either of those explanations is fine with me. There would possibly be a mountain town somewhere to the southeast (as there are mountains in that direction). The town of Khenua as a whole wouldn't necessarily know of it, but that wouldn't prevent you from knowing.

Alternately, warping as a cause of the plague is also acceptable.

Chanus on
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm so a prince that got turned into a bullywug. Submissions after I get home and massively work on MY pbp! >_>

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
    edited August 2010
    Alright. Thanks :)

Vimak

Background:
    Vimak came from the Southeast seeking a life outside of his simple mountain village. Awed by jewels and trinkets brought by brave merchants, he got the idea that searching the world and finding such items of renown was something he wanted to do. He was allowed to leave on the promises that 1. He would not return under his own power and 2. He would not tell anyone where he came form and where his home is. Thus he claims to be from Vandris, where the larger population could produce such an outlier of a being.

Vimak is considered to be gigantic by the standards of Khenua's populace, although some of the larger men reach heights near his chest. He has earned a stay thanks to his strength, helping out with farming and other manual labor as well as offering his giant sword in defense.

Of course, politicians and religious leaders have seen him as a curse or a boon - depending on whichever gets them more power.

Squints on
    edited August 2010
    I'll also note that since I am DMing my own game I am on the threads, like... all the time. Suffice to say, you won't be waiting on posts from me.

Squints on
    edited August 2010
    Same with me. DMing my own game, and working in a job that has lots of free time, so during the day no issues. in the evenings i'm unavailable until about 7:30-8pm most of the times, but post after that as well.

Snowdown on
  • OloronOloron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And now begins the waiting.

/rolls D20 for party inclusion.... :)

Oloron on
    edited August 2010
    It was an odd set of submissions this time.

Striker: 3

Leader: 1

Controller: 3

Defender: 2

Hybrid Striker/Controller: 1

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah well, didn't get in.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
    edited August 2010
    Some of those roles got pretty crowded. Strikers is typical, Controllers is a little odd.

OptimusZed on

edited August 2010
    Yeah - typical to see lots of strikers, but odd to have that many controllers.

Oloron on
    edited August 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    Ah well, didn't get in.

Where is the post in which he picked the party?

Squints on
  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He hasn't posted it yet...but the submission deadline has passed

Crimson Phantom on
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He hasn't *as far as I can see* but submissions ended at 7 pm est and he posted at 8:21.

Edit: Dam you Crimson Phantom, dam you!

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bwahaha!! Sneakysneaky

Crimson Phantom on
    edited August 2010
    I'll post the party this evening. Today is for agonizing over fates. :P

Chanus on
    edited August 2010
    Wil doesn't agonize.

He's immune.
    the+fonz.jpg

OptimusZed on

edited August 2010
    Argh.

I hate you people. :P

I have spent a good couple hours agonizing over this. I liked the background stories, I like the concepts... but I had to whittle it down to five people. In some cases it basically came down to a glorified game of eeney-meaney-miney-moe.

So congrats to these five:

Aria, Human Psion, played by Oloron
    Celegar Pius, Genasi Paladin, played by Fondor_Yards
    Lilika Silverheart, Halfling Rogue, played by Snowdown
    Vimak, Goliath Barbarian, played by Squints
    Wil, Half-Elf Ardent, played by OptimusZed

IC Thread will be up sometime tomorrow... maybe tonight if I'm able to get it together.

Chanus on
    edited August 2010
    Wil winks at Aria.

"Hey, baby. You've got quite the Charisma score there. Got some place we could be making Endurance checks together?"

OptimusZed on

edited August 2010
    Aria raises an eyebrow at Wil, glances at his Halbard, and asks, "Compensating for something?"

Oloron on
    edited August 2010
    Ah, now I am DMing a game with an Aria and in a game with an Aria.

Vimak shows Aria his Wil-sized greatsword.

Squints on
    edited August 2010
    "Just an accurate representation. It's not really fair not to have any warning."

OptimusZed on

edited August 2010
    Aria begins to think that Sarron might not be that bad after all.

Oloron on
    edited August 2010
    By the way, you can use this if you need an image/token...

ariaky.png

Oloron on
    edited August 2010
    *Zim voice* I am a disgusting human! Seee?!?
    male_goliath.jpg

Squints on
    edited August 2010
    Oh, yeah, if you guys have an image you want to use for a token that's not the one posted with your character, go ahead and post it.

Chanus on
    edited August 2010
    Any of the three I've posted would be fine. :P

OptimusZed on

• Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seesh if all humans are like this, I might be better off going back home...
    CelgarPius.png

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
    edited August 2010
    I am not a hu- I mean, yes! Go home, for I am a filthy human!

Squints on
    edited August 2010
    IC Thread is up!

Post any mechanics in spoilers.

My map is not posting properly... I'll get that edited into the second post shortly.

Chanus on
    edited August 2010
    Okie, map fixed. Time to Goblin Fighting!

Chanus on
    edited August 2010
    I have an idea for my character, if it would be alright with you DM.

Basically, Vimak is trained in the ways of the sword and all that comes with being a barbarian. Generally, however, he isn't considered that great at it yet (level 1). While he is competitive like all Goliaths, he has yet to really give into his rage that unlocks his barbarian potential.

I see Vimak looking human at the beginning of the campaign, and slowly morphing more into a Goliath with each battle. Like, growths begin to appear on his arms (the lithoderms that Goliaths have), his skin gets mottled grey and brown. He basically transforms in front of his party. The man first introduced in the town for the beginning of this adventure is nowhere near the man that returns for a well-deserved rest. Could add an interesting dynamic...

Squints on
    edited August 2010
    I like it.

Is this a purely cosmetic idea, or were you figuring your gaining levels as a Barbarian would be a sort of mechanical representation of your change?

Chanus on
    edited August 2010
    Oh, in another game the DM asked us to post in the mechanics spoiler who is going next and who is "on deck"... and I liked it... so we'll do that, too.

Example:
    (Next: Bobby McGoo | On Deck: Stumpy McFishypants)

Chanus on