As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scott Pilgrim: TAG ALL BOOK 6 SPOILERS!

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MarioG wrote: »
    I don't know what's going on. It's supposed to be from 12- 12:30.

That's not until tomorrow.

Speed Racer on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah god. Midnights are confusing. August 12 midnight makes me think it would be now.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Didn't the article say Thursday between 12 AM and 12:30 AM? That would be in an hour or so, Pacific...

XiaNaphryz on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    Didn't the article say Thursday between 12 AM and 12:30 AM? That would be in an hour or so, Pacific...

Midnight is generally considered to be part of the night of the preceeding day, even though it's technically very really morning of the following day.

Speed Racer on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, I just read that "Twilight for boys" review, and aside from the moronic opening salvo of his first paragraph, he actually has some fairly legitimate gripes.

Not really

It was pretty much feminist bullshit

UnbreakableVow on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe the best adaptation of an entire comic franchise into a single movie I've ever seen

(YES THAT IS A VERY NARROW PLAYING FIELD)

Still though, that movie worked, and it worked well. Edgar Wright did incredible things with the timeframe he was alloted. Admittedly my brain is all twisted from it being more of a... well, more of a videogame than a movie...

/edit that Fan review is wishing for gold. There is zero way that Wright could have done more with Scott Pilgrim and kept it a faithful adaption within the amount of time that movie had. Zero way.

Jintor on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eh, I thought it dragged on, the 12 or so endings irritated me. I guess it wasn't that bad, at it's core, but It wasn't more than mediocre for me.

Hmm, I was worried that they wouldn't have time to deal with all the relationship with all the exes in one film.

Have to tone down my foaming at the mouth a little bit.

Just in case it might disappoint

You talking about the stilted ending of the film?

Cause...they changed the ending. I don't know when, perhaps it was during the drafting process, but a leaked draft was on the net for a while and it was a bit bizarre. I thought it was one of those fake drafts but the stuff that happens in it was confirmed as the original ending (gonna be on the DVD, as well) for the movie.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eh, I thought it dragged on, the 12 or so endings irritated me. I guess it wasn't that bad, at it's core, but It wasn't more than mediocre for me.

Hmm, I was worried that they wouldn't have time to deal with all the relationship with all the exes in one film.

Cause...they changed the ending. I don't know when, perhaps it was during the drafting process, but a leaked draft was on the net for a while and it was a bit bizarre. I thought it was one of those fake drafts but the stuff that happens in it was confirmed as the original ending (gonna be on the DVD, as well) for the movie.

He's talking about the ending of A.I.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah sorry, one was responding to the post above mine, and the other was about the bad review.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, I just read that "Twilight for boys" review, and aside from the moronic opening salvo of his first paragraph, he actually has some fairly legitimate gripes.

Not really

It was pretty much feminist bullshit

It was written from a very feminist viewpoint, but I don't think it was bullshit at all. I think it had some very legitimate complaints about relationships and how women are treated in movies. In fact, some of her direct complaints about Ramona I've seen echoed directly in this thread previously.

But she doesn't like the movie, so it must be feminist bullshit.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I played the game last night

A few things of note: Playing it with a Rock Band Guitar is really hard, but doable. Using specials I couldn't figure out though.

My fiancee and I played on the hardest setting because we thought we were baller

Getting beaten by Patel was....embarassing

Arch on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    re: Bionic Monkey

I think the books do a pretty decent job of addressing most of her complaints.
    Ramona isn't a "cipher" there, IMO, and has a pretty clear personality. She also seems pretty fed up with the whole evil ex-boyfriend thing most of the time, and often regards the situation with some distance and disdain. She compels Scott to skip his fight "date" with Todd, for example.

And in the books, Ramona does have to fight each of Scott's exes, excepting Kim. (But Lisa is sort of a cipher for Kim as far as the "high-school ex" thing goes, and while Ramona doesn't physically fight her there is definitely a conflict there.)

And finally, book six does a really good job of demonstrating how Scott was being an asshole when he treated the women in his life as objects to be won or lost. (I.e. the revisionist history re: Simon Lee and his relationship with Envy, how he propositioned each of his exes in an effort to win them back). Scott had to give up those childish, misogynistic ideas of love and relationships before he could fight Gideon -- who, as a villain, is a great foil precisely because he clings so strongly to those childish, misogynistic ideas of love.

I haven't seen the movie, though, and from I understand pretty much all of those story elements have been excised due to time constraints. So I guess I can see where she's coming from in describing the movie...?

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    re: Bionic Monkey

I think the books do a pretty decent job of addressing most of her complaints.
    Ramona isn't a "cipher" there, IMO, and has a pretty clear personality. She also seems pretty fed up with the whole evil ex-boyfriend thing most of the time, and often regards the situation with some distance and disdain. She compels Scott to skip his fight "date" with Todd, for example.

And in the books, Ramona does have to fight each of Scott's exes, excepting Kim. (But Lisa is sort of a cipher for Kim as far as the "high-school ex" thing goes, and while Ramona doesn't physically fight her there is definitely a conflict there.)

And finally, book six does a really good job of demonstrating how Scott was being an asshole when he treated the women in his life as objects to be won or lost. (I.e. the revisionist history re: Simon Lee and his relationship with Envy, how he propositioned each of his exes in an effort to win them back). Scott had to give up those childish, misogynistic ideas of love and relationships before he could fight Gideon -- who, as a villain, is a great foil precisely because he clings so strongly to those childish, misogynistic ideas of love.

I haven't seen the movie, though, and from I understand pretty much all of those story elements have been excised due to time constraints. So I guess I can see where she's coming from in describing the movie...?

I have held back on commenting on this because I haven't seen the movie; but as for what you are saying about the books, it is spot-on.

Arch on
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

He's talking about the ending of A.I.

Man I hated that ending.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saw the movie yesterday.

SO GOOD

Also, they apparently filmed a scene right outside my old girlfriend's apartment. And Michael Cera sat in my usual seat at the Pizza Pizza on Bloor and Bathurst. *fist pump*

Definitely go see this movie if you live in Toronto. It was awesome seeing everything from Tortilla Flats and the Second Cup on Queen & Portland to the Green Beanery and Insomnia on Bloor. So goddamn cool.

Recoil42 on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hm, I'll have to see about the movie, but I thought the books did a decent job of making it clear that yeah, Scott was a bit of an oblivious dick much of the time.

I can see disliking it, though. I mean my friend hated the books because he just personally disliked Scott too much to read them. I like how accurately useless Scott is.

And I mean the heart of the thing to me is getting over your initial stupidity in a relationship and treating the other person like a person.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • myownsummermyownsummer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hm, I'll have to see about the movie, but I thought the books did a decent job of making it clear that yeah, Scott was a bit of an oblivious dick much of the time.

I can see disliking it, though. I mean my friend hated the books because he just personally disliked Scott too much to read them. I like how accurately useless Scott is.

And I mean the heart of the thing to me is getting over your initial stupidity in a relationship and treating the other person like a person.

This is pretty damn true. Scott often acts like a awkward jackass due to his inability to get out of the smitten stage in a relationship. Straddling the line between agoraphobic, socially-inept recluse and party-craving hipster is a tall glass of water.

myownsummer on
    rosievp6.jpg
    edited August 2010
    'Scott Pilgrim' Versus The Unfortunate Tendency To Review The Audience:
    But I have to say to those reviewing it: what's completely unnecessary is being hostile and condescending about the target audience — and I can say that, because I'm emphatically not part of it.

After referring to the first part of the movie as a "dork-pandering assault," The Boston Phoenix reviewer goes on to say that Michael Cera's performance is "irritating" in part because of "the non-stop Pavlovian laugh track provided by the audience at the screening I attended." (As far as I know, that's a first: "You made the audience laugh, you irritating actor in a comedy, and that's what's wrong with you.")
    Hating Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is perfectly fine. It's got a style; you sort of embrace it and dig it or you don't. But when there's too much effort given to tut-tutting the people you imagine to be enjoying it, or declaring and promising that only narrow categories of losers and non-life-havers and other stupid annoying hipsters could possibly be having a good time when you're not, it sounds pinched and ungenerous. And, not to put too fine a point on it, a little bit jealous and fearful of obsolescence.

Here's what I'm saying: I'm a woman, I'm in my late thirties, I can't handle first-person shooters, I'm afraid of Comic-Con, and I really, really liked Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

I hope I'm not, you know, blowing your mind.

XiaNaphryz on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just noticed that scott pilgrim avatar clothes are up on xbox live now. I might have to violate my "don't spend money on nothing" rule and drop a dollar on a sex bob-omb shirt

SaraLuna on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    'Scott Pilgrim' Versus The Unfortunate Tendency To Review The Audience:
    But I have to say to those reviewing it: what's completely unnecessary is being hostile and condescending about the target audience — and I can say that, because I'm emphatically not part of it.

After referring to the first part of the movie as a "dork-pandering assault," The Boston Phoenix reviewer goes on to say that Michael Cera's performance is "irritating" in part because of "the non-stop Pavlovian laugh track provided by the audience at the screening I attended." (As far as I know, that's a first: "You made the audience laugh, you irritating actor in a comedy, and that's what's wrong with you.")
    Hating Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is perfectly fine. It's got a style; you sort of embrace it and dig it or you don't. But when there's too much effort given to tut-tutting the people you imagine to be enjoying it, or declaring and promising that only narrow categories of losers and non-life-havers and other stupid annoying hipsters could possibly be having a good time when you're not, it sounds pinched and ungenerous. And, not to put too fine a point on it, a little bit jealous and fearful of obsolescence.

Here's what I'm saying: I'm a woman, I'm in my late thirties, I can't handle first-person shooters, I'm afraid of Comic-Con, and I really, really liked Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

I hope I'm not, you know, blowing your mind.

I find the movie, from the very start, almost forced you to give up any pretentiousness about the jokes, the target audience, the characters, etc. It was very unapologetiC, and it really pushed you to just let go and enjoy the damn movie. Really one of the best things I liked about the movie.

Recoil42 on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And everyone who couldn't enjoy it is a jerky-mc-jerk-face!

Jintor on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    scott pilgrim is animated on http://aintitcool.com/
    Top left corner.

NotYou on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's a midnight screening tonight but I don't get off work until midnight. God damn universe does not want me to see this movie early.

Quid on
    edited August 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    There's a midnight screening tonight but I don't get off work until midnight. God damn universe does not want me to see this movie early.

I only have one friend who wants to see this movie, and he told me he has to go with his whole office tonight...

Must... find... someone to go with.

NotYou on
    edited August 2010
    The Hell you do!

Quid on
    edited August 2010
    haha yea, i'm seeing it tonight or tomorrow regardless :)

NotYou on
  • Buster BladeBuster Blade Katy, TxRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In case anyone was like me and thinking that the scott vs the animation was a full 15 minute segment in the adult swim schedule its just two short (like minute or two, maybe three) thing they will play during the commercials from 12 to 1.

Also here is a link for proof. This link says it will be four minutes total
    http://techland.com/2010/08/12/reminder-scott-pilgrim-on-adult-swim-at-midnight-tonight/

Buster Blade on
    Steam: Buster Blade
    Xbox: CDN_Buster
    3DS: 4957-3435-6477
    edited August 2010
    Aw.

Quid on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh god. Waiting in the theater. Just a little longer.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That Scott Pilgrim animated short is going to be playing during commercial breaks.

Anyway, so how small is Toronto exactly, where every place seems to be an old familiar hangout to every resident of TDot?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited August 2010
    In case anyone was like me and thinking that the scott vs the animation was a full 15 minute segment in the adult swim schedule its just two short (like minute or two, maybe three) thing they will play during the commercials from 12 to 1.

Also here is a link for proof. This link says it will be four minutes total
    http://techland.com/2010/08/12/reminder-scott-pilgrim-on-adult-swim-at-midnight-tonight/
    Wasn't this known from the initial announcement a couple weeks back?

XiaNaphryz on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I went the the medium sized theater that's like 5 minutes from my place instead of the huge one on the other side of town. I'm the only person in here so far...

SaraLuna on
  • AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I went the the medium sized theater that's like 5 minutes from my place instead of the huge one on the other side of town. I'm the only person in here so far...

That's because no one goes to the smaller theater when a bigger one is available. :mrgreen:

Aeolusdallas on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This has already probably been shared:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Wu34McEGE

But that trailer/preview has convinced me more than any of the others that the lead actor can convincingly pull off more than just his other (possibly type cast) characters in previous movies/entertainment he has been a part of. Why did they even have to only show the parts from the movie in the other trailers that seemed to only show the character from Superbad part deux?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Some more behind the scenes pics from O'Malley:

4886366396_4773466665_z.jpg

4885762601_66c3afc991_z.jpg

XiaNaphryz on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm sure it's been mentioned, but the soundtrack is absolutely perfect. <3

kildy on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, the shorts were pretty good. Well, the visuals were. I had my hearing aids off and they weren't subtitled, so I have no idea how the audio was.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The shorts (video and audio) were pretty good, but I wish they devoted more time to them. And that the animation was better. Seriously, Adult Swim, you couldn't give the couple of years old Robot Chicken reruns a rest tonight?

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Some more behind the scenes pics from O'Malley:

4886366396_4773466665_z.jpg

4885762601_66c3afc991_z.jpg

Ok i'm team kim, where do I sign up to peek up that gothic lolita skirt?

Jokerman on