As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recettear: RPG Shop simulator - It's out and great and you should buy it

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Played through the demo a bit last night. Really going to have to stop myself from playing again as I don't want to overdo it.

Really need some info on the release of this. I must establish my Item Shop empire!

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Upward Movement - August 12, 2010

So to start with, this bit of news needs something. A backbeat, if you will. Something appropriate for the occasion.

This should do nicely.

Carpe Fulgur and Recettear have received a lot of great press. We've now got a legion of fans who are pretty much howling for the release of the full game. We even have cosplayers, which is a little bit staggering.

And yet, it's been something of a struggle to get distributors to take us seriously. An indie game from Japan, localized by a pack of nobodies? Are they for real? Why would we want to carry their game that nobody would want to buy?

Well. Ten thousand demo downloads in under a month don't lie. Quality, we hope, doesn't lie. And now one distributor has said: "Yes, they're for real. And we'll help them."

After a month of hand-wringing, we are pleased to announce that Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale will be sold on Stardock's Impulse platform. Stardock has been a supporter of independent software development for over a decade and we're thrilled to be going up on Impulse.

Recettear will be available for purchase on Impulse for the price of 20 USD in North America, 15 Euros in the European Union and 13 GBP in Great Britain, and is tentatively scheduled for release on September 10th, 2010. This date may change slightly depending on certain factors involved with the QA process for both Carpe Fulgur and Impulse, but that is the current target date.

We couldn't have gotten this far without the support of our fans. You guys allow us to seize the lightning, and now it has been seized. We may announce more distributors in the future, but either way, Recettear is coming!

I guess I now have another reason to use Impulse other than Sins of a Solar Empire.

Tertiee on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Impulse is good people, I'm happy to buy from them.

captaink on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Demo is so short :( but I like what I saw. Definitely gonna give this a try. Apparently all the heroes in the full version function differently. That makes me curious.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The only thing that makes me sad about our current plans is that we aren't getting the game out before PAX. I'd originally wanted to put the game on sale several months before PAX Prime so that I could possibly attend it (since I unironically consider it the most important gaming convention in the country at this point) but we just couldn't get distribution worked out in time to make that a reality. Hopefully now that we have actual ties built up and whatnot, though, that things will go faster if we do any future projects.

Anyway, we actually have a distributor, woo~

Lookin' forward to finally getting the game to everyone

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Recettear demo would still be the best game at PAX.

Frosteey on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heh, looks like Recettear is going to come out at about the same time as our upcoming RPG for the 360. Works for me - as a reward for finishing our game, I get to play Recettear. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ha. This is pretty cool.

EDIT: Just finished the demo. Quite fun but I didn't know how to check the calendar right away so I made it just under the wire for the 10 000. Should be a worthy buy in the future.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Finished the demo both ways. I really, really, really wish there was a way to save after Day 8 ends because I screwed myself twice by leaving the dungeon before saving and having to redo stuff. =/

Still, it's adorable even if holy god do I hate Louie. Cheapskate freeloader *grumble grumble*

Looking forward to seeing the other adventurers and never using Louie ever again.

*prays for female adventurers that aren't just staff chicks and maybe use spears*

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Recettear demo would still be the best game at PAX.

Your devotion to/pimping of us all over the forums is making me kind of emot-3.gif

I did actually flirt with the idea of entering Recettear (or the demo at least) into the PAX 10, but a) I wasn't sure if we'd have the full client ready by PAX b) the game was actually released in Japan at the very tail end of 2007 (though it really got released at limited retail in 2008), so it wasn't "really" a 2010 game and being a foreign title I wasn't really sure if we could enter (or if we even had the right to submit Recettear on behalf of EGS - the rules are obviously not designed around localized titles since this happens so rarely).

Either way, looks like we won't be at PAX Prime this year. A pity, I really wanted to go, I've yet to attend a PAX despite how important it's getting. Maybe we could do PAX East next year though, depending...
    *prays for female adventurers that aren't just staff chicks and maybe use spears*

You are going to be pleased as hell just FYI

In fact the only staff user in the game is male

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    You are going to be pleased as hell just FYI

In fact the only staff user in the game is male

:winky:

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm...sounds cool. I'll have to play it sometime when I feel like booting up windows.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Good shit, Spacedrake - can't wait to get this game on September. Luckily I have PAX to wait for those long days. :P

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just played the demo. This game is adorable. And fun!

Any chance this game will ever show up on Steam?

Captain K on
    edited August 2010
    Got the card for the second adventurer on my new playthrough! Woohoo!

...unfortunately it happened right at the end of Day 8. Dammit.

Oh well. Ended Day 8 with 23.4k total. Could have beaten that if I could just have sold that damn 24k vase at a vaguely sane price. (63% to the guild master on request is apparently not sane. :|)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    [

I guess I now have another reason to use Impulse other than Sins of a Solar Empire.

I don't know what Impulse is. Something along the lines of Steam? Still £13? DONE

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can't find anything on system requirements... my buddy has an old ass laptop and he loves things like this.

Falx on
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Loving this game. Recette is as cute as can be and Tear works well as her foil. Are there a lot of different adventurers? This is definitely a purchase for me regardless.

Edit: Fuck those goblin things by the way.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    Can't find anything on system requirements... my buddy has an old ass laptop and he loves things like this.

He should try the demo, it'll be faster than figuring it out

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This demo was awesome. I will definitely be getting this game.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    edited August 2010
    Captain K wrote: »

I'm guessing Stardock wanted Impulse to be the exclusive digital distribution service for this game, like Sins, but this is just speculation on my part.
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I don't know what Impulse is. Something along the lines of Steam? Still £13? DONE

Impulse works much like Steam with a few differences. The main one is that you don't need to run the Impulse client to play games after installing them like if you don't have an internet connection to sign-in.

Tertiee on
    edited August 2010
    I didn't actually play the demo until today. It was a lot of fun when the talking heads weren't going back and forth!

I don't mean to impugn the localization you guys are doing. I just thought the talking to acting ratio was too much. Also annoying Japanese squeals.

captaink on
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's the way from the JP game, man - unless you want them to actually change the game itself.

At least they give us the option to skip through tutorials and dialogues - love that functionality.
    I wish more companies would do this (looking at you, Square Enix).

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited August 2010
    I wish I could have skipped the tutorials I wanted. I didn't really need to repeat learning how to haggle a buy price 3 times after already learning it for selling. Minor annoyance though.

captaink on
  • ElucidaElucida Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    I wish I could have skipped the tutorials I wanted. I didn't really need to repeat learning how to haggle a buy price 3 times after already learning it for selling. Minor annoyance though.

Pretty sure you could skip just about everything, including the haggling tutorials.

Elucida on
    FFXIV: Sylvinae Mori
    edited August 2010
    Elucida wrote: »

Pretty sure you could skip just about everything, including the haggling tutorials.

I thought I tried.

Oh well, I can import my save anyways. I wish more demos could do that.

captaink on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Considering the type of game it is the talking heads should be mostly crammed together at the beginning of the game where everyone is being introduced. Once you've been taught all the basics and met most of the adventurers then it'll probably settle down to a nice grind.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Captain K wrote: »

It really depends on Steam, not us. We'd like to show up on Steam, but in the end it's a question of whether or not Valve wants us.

Hit the ESC key (or your designated "button 5") during a tutorial; it'll give you the option to skip.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Played the demo, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I think I'll buy it if I'm not completely broke when it comes out.

And I like how the audio files are just .wma's with simple names, it'll play anything as long it's in the right folder with the right name.

DubiousAtBest on
    edited August 2010
    Attempted a pure buying/selling run through the demo with no adventuring...did not work particularly well. For whatever reason, no one ever attempted to sell me any items. (And sometimes no one would be interested at all in buying anything, even with a few people in the shop. ffffff wasted time units)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I think the only sure thing in the game is dungeon diving. The shop seems to be based on a bit more luck than anything else.

Falx on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also annoying Japanese squeals.
    Mercifully, you can turn the voice acting off. It is the first thing I did. Those voices are irredeemable.

The game is tonnes of fun, though. I'm trying to get the second adventurer within the demo time limit by clearing The Jade Way in one sitting, and I keep dying against the very last boss, each time forcing a re-load from floor one because I don't think I have any time to spare. It's a rare game that can keep beating me up like that, but have me coming back for more.

Mumblyfish on
    edited August 2010
    Recette looks and sounds just like Yuno from Hidamari Sketch... Doesn't really bother me, much.

Falx on
    edited August 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Attempted a pure buying/selling run through the demo with no adventuring...did not work particularly well. For whatever reason, no one ever attempted to sell me any items. (And sometimes no one would be interested at all in buying anything, even with a few people in the shop. ffffff wasted time units)

I was able to make the 10k payment with a item shop only run. I tried to keep a large variety of stuff in-stock and in the showcase which resulted in 2-4 sales each period. I had a lot more trouble dungeon crawling since I had trouble staying alive even with the better armor and shield. One trap chest resulted in me getting double teamed and killed before I could get a health item to heal up.

Tertiee on
    edited August 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »

I was able to make the 10k payment with a item shop only run. I tried to keep a large variety of stuff in-stock and in the showcase which resulted in 2-4 sales each period. I had a lot more trouble dungeon crawling since I had trouble staying alive even with the better armor and shield. One trap chest resulted in me getting double teamed and killed before I could get a health item to heal up.
    I barely made the 10k payment that run (had like literally 19 pix left). I suspect I got screwed by the RNG, considering no one sold anything to me and I had old men request treasure of all things 4 times in a row.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't realize we were letting Europeans with their fucked up date system into our thread subject lines. It's Month/Day/Year, heathens.

Joking aside, I just downloaded the demo and I'm having a grand old time. Will definitely be picking it up at release.

Alecthar on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I thought that meant October 9th.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just change the title to "10th September" and everyone will be satisfied.

Captain K on
    edited August 2010
    Hah, picked up some shark fin in a dungeon. It pushed me within reach of 10k. I really want to play the full game now.

Falx on
    edited August 2010
    Man, fusion is amazing.
    Shell Necklace (2,400) + Charred Lizard on a Stick (700ish) = Azure Necklace (~12k)

Saaaaaaaave those ingredients.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg