As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Thread for Friday, August 13, 2010

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My favorite is the one that says if you've been drinking and she has not you're the one raping her

Straightzi on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No morning sex? That's worse than rape

Javen on
  • ackack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    im gonna avoid all those things but still rape women...FTW!!

ack on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And I don't see where the controversy is coming from. That blog poster admitted themselves that they they didn't find it funny because they don't have a sense of humor.

Javen on
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Behold, an incredibly poorly drawn picture of a Dickwolf! Learn it well, for it is the enemy! It is rape incarnate!

Oh, and argueabley a bit graphic. You've been warned.
    dickwolf.png

Comradebot on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the last panel. If you argue that its admonishment is slight and ineffective, the counter argument has already been made that it's just as effective and world-changing as the content in the last comic. It's a great meta argument.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The joke is based around how rape is a horrible thing, so therefore does not condone rape. The joke would not work if rape was being encouraged.

The blogger is wrong, it's not even a matter of debate or perspective, the blogger is wrong.

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited August 2010
    This entire thread makes me so happy.

Gabriel on
  • JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gabriel wrote: »
    So rape makes you happy, eh Mr. Rapist?

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, between the blog and the comments that follow it....

There are a LOT of humorless shits in this world and that's just sad.

Vargas Prime on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love the 'scientific' name for the dick wolf there!

Tallahasseeriel on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

pro-rape

PiptheFair on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JAK wrote: »
    So rape makes you happy, eh Mr. Rapist?

I love any place where you can accuse the proprietor of rape and they'll find it funny.

At least I hope they find it funny.

Otherwise JAK and I are taking a vacation :(

Also that list has a lot of things that are common sense interspersed with some things that are retarded. Most of them could be replaced with "Non-consensual sex is rape. That is the definition. Like, from a dictionary."

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

So what you're saying is you get off on rape threads.

Monster

MKR on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    According to that list, I've been raped more times than a narc in general lockup.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited August 2010
    I am literally a rape culturalist fyi

PiptheFair on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The more people try to designate things as "out of bounds" for comedy, the more those things will be cemented as go-to areas for shock comedy. Now this joke wasn't trying to rely solely on shock value for its humor, but going over the top is definitely part of the joke.

At some point, everything is going to be made into a joke. The goddamn Holocaust has jokes now. Someday the internet will find it acceptable to make a joke about Mr. Rogers doing something bad. Rape is a serious thing, yes. So is murder and genocide. People make jokes about all of these things. If you don't find some of these jokes funny, that's fine. But try and figure out which battles are worth throwing a stink over.

KalTorak on
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, if the dickwolves raped their victims to DEATH, by her standard of humor would that have been a knee-slapper? Or, is that, like, double not-funny...

... because of the extent... like... that... the rape... nevermind...

Oddfish on
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know it's tough to fight on the side of rape jokes, but I think G and T picked a white male because it's the least offensive. It's why they don't have black people in their comics, lest they seem racist.

They put Straub in a strip. He could be black, we just can't tell.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
    edited August 2010
    Oddfish wrote: »
    So, if the dickwolves raped their victims to DEATH, by her standard of humor would that have been a knee-slapper? Or, is that, like, double not-funny...

rape and murder are both funny

PiptheFair on
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The thing that annoys me about things like this, is that by going overboard reacting to the "culture of rape humor", she's actually helping desensitize people to rape in general.

Couple that with the fact that she's blogging about it for self-promotion.

I guess what I'm saying is, release the dickwolves...

LTM on
  • WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    . . . So that list just informed me that I've been raped more times than Farrah Fawcett and Jodie Foster COMBINED.

I'm just another cog in the rape machine : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vcLYPNqHhk

WildEEP on
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

so, by that rationale, rape that leads to murder (murder-rape) is hilarious. got it. i am learning funnies, now. soon, i will know all the funnies. then i will be king.

Oddfish on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Behold, an incredibly poorly drawn picture of a Dickwolf! Learn it well, for it is the enemy! It is rape incarnate!

Oh, and argueabley a bit graphic. You've been warned.
    dickwolf.png

Someone needs to make this a shirt. I'd buy a bushel. God damn that's funny.

DietarySupplement on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think today's comic is the appropriate response to the criticisms. Frankly, it is more worrisome to have creative and satirical content taken too seriously and be constantly sanitized for the sake of someone who may take offense over the Internet. Not only is the latter impossible to avoid, but it isn't as if PA is featured on google's home page or some shit.

If you want sometimes lewd, off-color gaming culture jokes, you know where to find them. If you don't, then don't come to PA.

Lucky Cynic on
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Have you not read a thing I've said (er... typed)?

Given enough time, and depending on the breed, dickwolves WILL rape their victims to death. The nightly process takes roughly one year, at the end of which the victim is nothing more than a semen encrusted husk of something vaguely resembling human. Clearly, she just never did her proper research on dickwolves. If she had, she'd already know this and likely get the joke. Really, it's not her fault: 7/10 Americans (roughly the same for all other nationalities, save the Germans with a 1/10) are poorly or misinformed on dickwolves. It's an epidemic that can only end with the dickwolves reigning supreme and raping as many victims as their tri-dick-chambered hearts desire.

Comradebot on
  • ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rape is a loaded, powerful word. Overuse of that word (in the case of ill-thought-out blog posts and enormous lists) renders it more commonplace and less shocking.

ChrisAlgoo on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Look, I know this isn't in good form, but her blog is what makes me scared of other people. She even took issue insurance commercial, the one that helps personify "mayhem." She didn't like that young, female drivers were portrayed as easily distracted or reckless. I mean I'm sure there are literally dozens of responsible, young female drivers out there. I just haven't met any.

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010

so, by that rationale, rape that leads to murder (murder-rape) is hilarious. got it. i am learning funnies, now. soon, i will know all the funnies. then i will be king.

yeah now you're getting it

PiptheFair on
    edited August 2010
    I am literally mad about everything and am also right deal w/it the blog

PiptheFair on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Mad

as a hatter.

as in crazy

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    End wrote: »

Mad

as a hatter.

as in crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lleg2XGUbMg

LTM on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rape rape rape rape rape.

RAPE

Clint Eastwood on
    edited August 2010
    Rape rape rape rape rape.

RAPE

rape culture in action

you are literally a rapist fyi

PiptheFair on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it wasn't even a goddamned rape joke. it was a joke about how once you rescue the mandatory 5 NPCs from being horribly mistreated, you're expected to just leave the rest behind for the next dude to worry about. can we all agree that being raped on a daily basis is horrible? can we pull together on that one issue?

i can't even believe i'm angry about this. for fuck's sake. the blog post was just bullshit linkbait, the internet equivalent of when a TV news program teases the audience with a 5 second ad that says "Coming up next, is your entire family being devoured by leeches because they eat meatloaf?!"

the internet, as a medium of discourse, is such an abject failure. it's just a bunch of trolling and people barking at each other.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can just imagine the thought process that went into the previous comic.

"We need to let the reader know that the slave is in a horrible horrible situation. What should we put?"

"Getting raped."

"That might work, but we need to make it a little less serious."

"Okay, getting raped...by dickwolves."

(And then they move on)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I see what you did there, DS.

I still can't get over the fact that this blogger doesn't go to comedies or anything for to avoid the risk of a rape joke. They really aren't all that prevalent.

Last night I was at a dueling piano bar that had a 2 girls step onto stage and ask who's panties the crowd liked better. Then some lone female shouted from the corner of the bar, this is sick! You are objectifying women!

To which they both replied, It was our idea!

Maybe I am just some crazy liberal, but if someone wants to do something that is fine by law, doesn't hurt others, etc, then they should be free to do so without having their mailbox filled up with hate mail, but I guess we don't live in a perfect world.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited August 2010
    rape is a sacred cow you guys

stop raping it

PiptheFair on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd

Tallahasseeriel on
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LTM wrote:
    The thing that annoys me about things like this, is that by going overboard reacting to the "culture of rape humor", she's actually helping desensitize people to rape in general.

Couple that with the fact that she's blogging about it for self-promotion.

I guess what I'm saying is, release the dickwolves...

this is the dumbest three sentences I have ever read in consecutive placement.

Maybe I am just some crazy liberal, but if someone wants to do something that is fine by law, doesn't hurt others, etc, then they should be free to do so without having their mailbox filled up with hate mail, but I guess we don't live in a perfect world.

yes, in a perfect world you would be free from others opinions.

Jeedan on
This discussion has been closed.