As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taking my work (e-mail) home with me.

Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships)Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
For reference, I use Microsoft Outlook to handle my e-mail.

Sometimes work needs to follow me home for the weekend, and there are times when it would be darn convenient if I could take my e-mail with me. Unfortunately, my computer is not the type you can bring home for the evening.

Is there something I can do to make my inbox portable so I can take it home with me and access it on my home system? Or do I just need to convince them to spring for a laptop?

Gabriel_Pitt on

• Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Microsoft Exchange Server lets you connect to a virtual Outlook program through any web browser, though I think your IT people would need to set that up. Or you could remotely connect to your work station with the native remote desktop in windows or a program like LogMeIn if you wanted to set it up yourself.

Advent on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ask your IT department. They will be able to tell you if you can use OWA or another method.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I use OWA on my home laptop and I use the Microsoft Exchange Server on my iPhone.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In case your work doesn't do OWA (or in case you don't like it) you could install an email client (like Outlook) on your home machine and configure it fetch your email from the work email server. Talk to your IT dept/guy about how to do that an he should give you the particulars (e.g. SMTP server and POP/IMAP server). I think Windows Live Mail is a free desktop email client for Windows OS users, and MAC OSX users should be able to use the built in Mail application.

You could also probably use these setting to configure your personal webmail (e.g. gmail) to fetch mail from your work email server, though I haven't done this so I'm not sure if there are gotchas here (for example, I think all email accounts you configure with Gmail have a shared inbox in Gmail).

There should be a lot of options available to you to do what you want.

Djeet on
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    get your work to use an IMAP instead of a POP server for this, that way you have two way syncing from both computers

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    You might need to set up a VPN to get to it. You really need to talk to your tech group at work for this. Every aspect of it will depend purely on what they have set up.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, we have both VPN and a web-client for our enterprise email (Groupwise); I use the web client because it's just a secure login without extra hoops. But it's entirely based on what your IT staff has set up.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    a company blackberry is the easiest way.

VPN is a pain IMO

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    a company blackberry is the easiest way.

VPN is a pain IMO
    Using the webmail login is way cheaper, has a better interface, and is way less of a pain in the ass if your company has one set up.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wish we were big enough to have an IT department, but I'm probably the closest thing there is. I'll give logmein a look. I didn't really think about remote accessing, and that lets me get at other stuff I might find myself wanting to access too.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    uhm.

Please don't just turn on remote access and leave the ports open on the firewall.

It's not a good idea. Especially if you're just enabling the default windows stuff and leaving a box on your internal network exposed to the Internet. If you've never worked with this stuff before, you might want to hire a consultant.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does your company host their own email, or use a 3rd party service?

If you host your own email server then it may be as simple as publishing the IMAP/POP3, as SMTP must already be published.

Do other employees access email from home, if so how?

Depending upon your technical knowhow and how much you can change policy, it may be easier to convince them to buy you a lptop if all you want is access to your emails. You could configure your work machine to save your inbox to a local .pst and then at the end of the day use a USB stick to ferry the file between your home machine and your work machine, but that sounds like a lot of bother to me.

Djeet on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You could just set your POP client to leave messages on the server on the remote client if getting them to open the firewall for IMAP is too troublesome.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    th3thirdmanth3thirdman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ya but the Blackberry 9800 torch is a FUCK SWEET ASS PHONE! and it can handle up 10 email addresses and facebook.

th3thirdman on