As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No, you cannot have your name changed

• CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jippee wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Cronus wrote: »
    Every time I see movement in this thread I fear that I missed the actual name change thread.
    Speaking of that, where would the actual name change thread be created?
    Wherever Tube wants to create. In the past, that has been the Whining Forum.

It's probably incredibly pedantic of me,
    but can we please, please get a minor infraction rule on people, asking say 10+ pages in on a thread, to explain things they obviously haven't bothered to read that already have been explained -very likely in the OP- ? This is an internet forum, and reading is what you have to do. you might even be entertained.
    E: I also realise that this would at least quadruple the burden on moderators so it is probably not realistic.

I did read the OP before asking. I just reread it and still didn't see the answer to my question. If it is there, I apologize for an unnecessary post. And this one, but I just wanted to clarify that I did read Tubes fabulous OP.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    An indeterminate length of time from now. There is no system for deciding when it'll happen, but it's normally when some interesting has happened in my day. The Whining Forum will come back up, everyone will whine a lot and then the name change thread will get made. It's normally up for around an hour and it's normally at an atrociously irritating time of day for all concerned. Repeatedly asking for the return of the whining forum and name change thread only makes me less enamoured with the whole concept.

For the reading impaired.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    An indeterminate length of time from now. There is no system for deciding when it'll happen, but it's normally when some interesting has happened in my day. The Whining Forum will come back up, everyone will whine a lot and then the name change thread will get made. It's normally up for around an hour and it's normally at an atrociously irritating time of day for all concerned. Repeatedly asking for the return of the whining forum and name change thread only makes me less enamoured with the whole concept.

That doesn't say the thread will be created in the Whining Forum. It just says that people whine in that forum and then Tube makes the name change thread. So you may want to read before you post. See my sig for details.

This will be the last time I post about this as this thread draws too much Tube to be arguing about this.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cronus wrote: »

That doesn't say the thread will be created in the Whining Forum. It just says that people whine in that forum and then Tube makes the name change thread. So you may want to read before you post. See my sig for details.

This will be the last time I post about this as this thread draws too much Tube to be arguing about this.

Here's a translation for you. When the Whining Forum becomes active, all the other forums here disappear for a time. at some point during that time, the name change thread will appear for about hour, or for as long as tube can stand it. some folk get the names they want, and others get to be laughed at/get an unexpectedly better name than they wanted.

soon afterward the Whining Forum goes away, and everything goes back to business as usual.

Or am I thinking of the Christmas forum? fuck, I'm tired and can't remember now. hopefully I got it about right. it's been what, 2 years?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think the whining forum replaces the other forums, unlike the Christmas and Hannukah forums.

Nerdgasmic on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pretty sure the Whining forum stands on its own.

Sometimes with one, single, gigantic thread.

Apparently the Merge function needs to be used responsibly.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not going to spend an entire day sitting at my desk doing name changes.

It's true. I even offered him real life money to have my name changed and he wouldn't budge! D:

Regicid3 on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tube is not your whore.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if Tube is open to grand bargains, deal with the devil sort of situations. Not necessarily for name changes, but for other things.

I'd be willing to wager a forum ban, forced avatar, and/or soul.

Lady Eri on
    edited June 2010
    The more you want Tube to do something, the less chance it will actually happen. Once you accept this, your life will be much easier.

spookymuffin on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, the mere fact that this thread became active again probably pushed back the magic date another three months.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whining forum is in effect, does that mean name changes are in effect? I'll risk a coin flip/

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2010
    when there's a thread, it'll be in the whining forum

Tube on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For the terminally lazy: it's happening.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited June 2010
    and now it isn't

Tube on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Damn it, Tube, why did I bother?

Goose! on
    edited June 2010
    Pick a name goose.

Tube on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    boo missed it :(

M.D. on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    boo missed it :(

You'd think you'd have learned your lesson after the first time.

EDIT: Looks like a couple folks who I thought had cool names wanted their names changed. What's up with that, formerly cool-named folks?

DarkPrimus on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooh well. Maybe in another year and a half...

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Superbrew, why'd you have to go and fail your coin toss check? Now I'll have even more trouble remembering which poster you are.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh hey the forum is gone

<3 on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i see you didn't try to get your name fixed

tsk tsk

INeedNoSalt on
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The name change thread was open for like less than half of a day and then it was closed for the entirety lifespan of the whining forum.

:(

<3 on
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't have given you a name change anyway, because you have an obnoxious profile.

Tube on
    edited July 2010
    Burn

spookymuffin on
  • Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn, the one day I don't check for it...

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, that's a real bummer that I can't change my name. I didn't realize when I started that my login name would also be my display name. I lurked for a hell of a long time, then started posting, but I forgot I still had my stupid ass login name.

So now, I have a thread full of my comics with my retarded real name. I'm an idiot.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Man, that's a real bummer that I can't change my name. I didn't realize when I started that my login name would also be my display name. I lurked for a hell of a long time, then started posting, but I forgot I still had my stupid ass login name.

So now, I have a thread full of my comics with my retarded real name. I'm an idiot.

I've never understood why some forums make you use separate names. It seems so unnecessary.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

I've never understood why some forums make you use separate names. It seems so unnecessary.

Because many login systems don't support the 'space' special character, and often aren't case sensitive on the username (despite being case sensitive on the password.) Also, it's sometimes considered a security issue to have your display name to be your username (or at least it was within the last decade) because then people would already know half of your login info.

I'm really old school internet, so when I see a login that can be "The Best of the Best," my mind is blown.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Because many login systems don't support the 'space' special character, and often aren't case sensitive on the username (despite being case sensitive on the password.) Also, it's sometimes considered a security issue to have your display name to be your username (or at least it was within the last decade) because then people would already know half of your login info.

I'm really old school internet, so when I see a login that can be "The Best of the Best," my mind is blown.

Not old school enough to capitalize 'Internet', :P

I still get twitch when I name files more than 8 letters and/or use spaces. Medics are required when I get a file from someone with a name like 'August.Sales.08.doc'.

MichaelLC on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I still habitually used underscores in file names.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For added fun, use the character ^H in your username and/or password

Ivar on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I see a bunch of name changes but no whining thread--did I miss something that happened at like, 1 am last night? thanks for any clarification.

streever on
    edited December 2010
    Who specifically are you noticing had a name change?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sorry, it is just one person, not two, I was faked out by a fake poster (someone who copied sig/location/avatar).

Cap'n Mango just became "mangoes (a bunch of other words here)", so it is actually only one case.

streever on
  • Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Because if I allow people to PM me for name changes, it is literally the only thing I have time to do.

So it would be completely out of the question to either have more admins, thus lightening the workload, or have an automated way to change names, thus lightening the workload?

Puny Human on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Puny Human wrote: »
    Because if I allow people to PM me for name changes, it is literally the only thing I have time to do.

So it would be completely out of the question to either have more admins, thus lightening the workload, or have an automated way to change names, thus lightening the workload?

I believe name changes also fuck with the server something rotten. This may have changed since I last paid attention, of course. As with most things.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yep, server gets fucked every time a name change happens

we're already dealing with an unstable database

Antimatter on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Also if people were just changing their names all the time, it would be utter chaos.

Utter

Chaos

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png