As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tears of a [chat]ter

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That reminds me, a friend of mine who is into jiu jitsu enjoys disrespecting krav maga on the grounds that proper martial arts have rules and also that they dont like to steal moves from other disciplines. And also about some claim that you can deal with multiple attackers being bogus, but that may have been a strawman.

well, krav maga over-inflates itself as the baddest ass of everything ever that will let you beat up ten guys

but i've actually gone to a couple of krav maga classes to watch (a buddy of mine goes regular) and the whole "defend yourself against multiple attackers" thing is more accurately described as "how to weasel your way out of getting swarmed and stabbed to death so you can run the fuck away"

when it comes to the rules thing, listen, with martial arts you have to make a decision

are you:

A. trying to learn something that will help you in a street fight or other worst case scenario

or

B. trying to learn a combat sport that you intend to participate in actively and possibly compete

or

C. just doing something to get into shape that you enjoy the techniques of

those goals are pretty close to mutually exclusive. they will affect which martial art you choose and why

Pony on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Another fun fact about my mum's house: She doesn't have a coffee table book, she has a pile of books on the coffee table. She has the official guidebooks to like half the major galleries in Europe sitting in a mildly disheveled pile in the middle of the living room.

It is the greatest thing, because people will actually look through them.

:^: that is rad!

my coffee table right now at 3:21am, Sunday, August 15th is rocking:

- two volumes of The Year's Best Science Fiction edited by Gardner Dozois
    - a sketchpad
    - a chemistry textbook
    - the Mutants & Masterminds core rulebook
    - the Ghost in the Shell manga TPB (the original, from like 1994)
    - the D&D Eberron campaign guide
    - Asimov's Guide to the Bible, vol 1
    - two issues of Interzone, the UK science fiction magazine
    - last week's issue of the local hipster alternative weekly newspaper
    - Warhammer 40k: Codex: Imperial Guard
    - a Nine Inch Nails CD (probably Downward Spiral)
    - the DVD of inside Man

That sounds suspiciously like the coffee table my brother and I shared when we lived with our mum.

edit: also: I want to read the GitS manga but have never gotten around to it.

Maybe the Borders will have a copy...

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    20 kills, 22 assists, 70 bot kills, 2 turrets hacked, 21 deaths. I might not suck as Support.

As to my books, I have a mishmash of odd things. Lots of trashy SF (I'm four Shadowrun novels short of owning all of them), some trashy thrillers, a very odd assortment of non-fiction that would make a cop very puzzled (one book on money laundering is curiosity, two is kinda scary), and a bunch of noir mysteries, and the odd bit of classic literature.

Thomamelas on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    vari I am happy for your progress and lack of stasis

because stasis = death

so here are some pictures of a pretty lady I can't show you because I am jailed

also they are huge, beware

like I didn't look her up immediately when you mentioned her earlier

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Our house is full of books, and we keep getting even more even though at some point during both of the last two moves japan did make comments about throwing away all my bloody books.

the next move will just be even more fun, I'm sure, as I'll have had a good 3 or so years of more book collecting to add to the immense number of boxes we'll need :D

BobCesca on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    God I just want to cut off my lip and be done with it.

Quid on
    edited August 2010
    it's actually pretty heart-crushing sometimes to watch your younger sibling walk down a bad road that you yourself have already walked

especially when you try to explain this to him and he openly dismisses your advice

he's my brother, i love him, and i will still spend time with him and shit but

being around him sometimes bums me out hard

(not to mention sometimes it's just dangerous)

Pony on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vari, that is pretty awesome that you are moving forward like that.

the process of realizing everything isn't just pretend is enlightening

I could use some inspiration though.

yes I'm propositioning you.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Our house is full of books, and we keep getting even more even though at some point during both of the last two moves japan did make comments about throwing away all my bloody books.

the next move will just be even more fun, I'm sure, as I'll have had a good 3 or so years of more book collecting to add to the immense number of boxes we'll need :D

Collecting? Is it really a collection, well-rounded and catalogued, full of rare and unusual tomes in impeccable condition?

Or is it a hoard? Are you hoarding books? There's a war on you know.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited August 2010
    fffffffffffffff

get out of my head Lazy get the hell out gah why why why

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    That reminds me, a friend of mine who is into jiu jitsu enjoys disrespecting krav maga on the grounds that proper martial arts have rules and also that they dont like to steal moves from other disciplines. And also about some claim that you can deal with multiple attackers being bogus, but that may have been a strawman.

ok

every time krav comes up amongst people who know nothing or who are experienced with martial arts or who like krav or who think it's bogus, i repeat the same general things

1) most american krav is bogus. i've been to most of ny, nj, ma, and pa looking at 'american krav, taught by people who learned from the idf!' and who boast their authenticity and how 'we're serious!' and crap like that. it's almost invariably false. most american krav is soft and weak and has dead training with no pain, no accelerated movements, nothing. it's babied and a totally dissimilar experience (and resource) from israeli krav.

2) every popular martial art today steals or has stolen moves, as nebulous as 'stealing' is. somewhere in the aggregate of what is known as that art, in its many branches and divisions, there will be adaptations.

3) any claim that you can 'easily turn multiple attackers against themselves' or anything like that is bogus. it's true that krav focuses on situational awareness and broad perception (a drill often used in israeli krav is being on the ground covered up while a group of trainees stomp and kick you at maybe 70-80% intensity), and i feel like it's better equipped me for meeting more than one asshole. but there is no such thing as magic. unless they're incredibly drunk or you have a weapon, 6 dudes who attack at once will bring you down.

4) any claim that you can 'easily disarm' an attacker is bogus. someone who knows what they're doing and keeps proper distance and is alert and doesn't cow to incremental, non threatening movements... is going to win. if someone pulls a gun on you and is alert and serious when they say 'move and i'll shoot' and who doesn't literally press the muzzle to your body... there's nothing to do, there. there's no crescent kick or 'hyah!' wrist chop that will let you snatch the gun. however, a drunk or druggie might not be that alert, and they might press the weapon at a disadvantageous distance (where you have less distance to travel to change the situation). it's entirely possible to be better equipped for a weapons encounter against a street thug because of krav.

Organichu on
    edited August 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »

Collecting? Is it really a collection, well-rounded and catalogued, full of rare and unusual tomes in impeccable condition?

Or is it a hoard? Are you hoarding books? There's a war on you know.

ok...more of a hoard. Mostly junk with a few shiny, shiny gems.

BobCesca on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah. This hangover is refreshingly direct. I feel like I've been kicked in the head a lot.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited August 2010
    It's a horde!

She plans to take over Britain

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited August 2010
    fluffy you are making it hard for me to like you

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    you know i'd like this quasi-panic-attack accelerated heart rate anxiety thing i've been going through for the past THREE HOURS to stop any time now

aaaanytime now

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    you know i'd like this quasi-panic-attack accelerated heart rate anxiety thing i've been going through for the past THREE HOURS to stop any time now

aaaanytime now

you too?

weeeeird

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thats a reasonable position that I will pass along, with a variable possibility that I will discredit the source as being biased :P

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited August 2010

is it that I plan to read Atlas Shrugged

is it that I linked an indie love song from a movie some consider a hipster-gamer hybrid

is it that I forgot I had you on MSN

is it that I linked a pretty girl obsessively

is it that I'm sort of ripping off your posting style by breaking this up into sentences with the intended effect of adding the same emphasis to each line as I would were this spoken dialogue

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited August 2010
    don't be afraid of love, Pony and Elldren

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited August 2010

is it that I plan to read Atlas Shrugged

is it that I linked an indie love song from a movie some consider a hipster-gamer hybrid

is it that I forgot I had you on MSN

is it that I linked a pretty girl obsessively

is it that I'm sort of ripping off your posting style by breaking this up into sentences with the intended effect of adding the same emphasis to each line as I would were this spoken dialogue

mostly it's that second thing

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    I'm listening to it anyway if only to drive Lazy out, even if for a few minutes

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And looking over my non-fiction, I need to remember to make sure any police officer who comes to my apartment only enters with a warrant.

Thomamelas on
    edited August 2010
    Promised to drive a girl home today but yeaaah sorry love that's not happening

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited August 2010
    that's a good policy in any case.

Organichu on
    edited August 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H347JxViMs

That Elldren will clear out any other song.

Thomamelas on
    edited August 2010
    i am in the mood for this song

it is a good song for right now

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

Yes but looking over my non-fiction, I have some really odd stuff. Even have a copy of the ever useless Anarchists cookbook. Bought solely for my amusement since the amount of useful information in it is mostly accidental.

Thomamelas on
    edited August 2010
    aaaaaanytime now

Pony on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    And looking over my non-fiction, I need to remember to make sure any police officer who comes to my apartment only enters with a warrant.
    I interpreted this to mean that you intend to make sure he enters only carrying a warrant, and not any additional thing that he can plant to get you on, at which point I thought, "How is he going to confirm that a warrant is the only thing he has on him, magic?"

Then I realized that there is another way to interpret what you said.

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited August 2010

My non-fiction selection is pretty bad. I mean, I have crap loads of books on various aspects of the ancient world, and some science-y things, but that's about it.

Then again, many people looking at my non-fiction would probably assume I was a sexual deviant.

BobCesca on
    edited August 2010

My non-fiction selection is pretty bad. I mean, I have crap loads of books on various aspects of the ancient world, and some science-y things, but that's about it.

Then again, many people looking at my non-fiction would probably assume I was a sexual deviant.

Mine would assume I was a master thief wannabe. And a sexual deviant.

Thomamelas on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Books? I have boxes and boxes of old books downstairs just waiting for bookcases. I have to stay out of the local used book shop because I'll end up dropping fifty bucks in there if you let me dig long enough.

My few current treasures are my Joel Rosenberg hardcovers (first two volumes of the "Guardians of the Flame" series, which is really, really good but fucking impossible to find...), as well as my large collection of old TSR novels- old Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, a few old Dark Sun, and other interesting ones.

I still have all my old game magazines from the early 1990s, when the NES was king. Now that everyone's releasing the old games again (except for Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island because Nintendo is a...), I can just get my color maps out while other people have to make do with a written walkthrough.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

Yes but looking over my non-fiction, I have some really odd stuff. Even have a copy of the ever useless Anarchists cookbook. Bought solely for my amusement since the amount of useful information in it is mostly accidental.

I still remember how to sabotage a pay phone.

I'd feel bad about the phone we broke trying it if they still existed.

Quid on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    Vari, that is pretty awesome that you are moving forward like that.

the process of realizing everything isn't just pretend is enlightening

I could use some inspiration though.

yes I'm propositioning you.

:winky: :?:

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2010
    I still feel upset when I think of all the books that have been thrown away (or sometimes given away) by my Mum on the various moves we had before I was 20. Seriously, so many childrens' books which are out of print now or just impossible to find in those editions.

BobCesca on
    edited August 2010
    I still feel upset when I think of all the books that have been thrown away (or sometimes given away) by my Mum on the various moves we had before I was 20. Seriously, so many childrens' books which are out of print now or just impossible to find in those editions.

Bob, the alternative is them being eaten by silverfish.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited August 2010
    oh my god, famke

my loins ache for you

Organichu on
    edited August 2010
    Wait, thrown away or given away/donated?

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.