As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i have what i think is some dust under my ipad screen
    i have applecare do i just go in and get it replaced?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

When I had dust under my 3GS screen I just took it in and they swapped the screen on the spot.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, right now I need to focus on the baby steps.

I had a couple of issues, since my friend didn't do a thorough job of cleaning out his files and junk (or his billions of contacts), which had me google and muck around with things.

As a result, my iphone is stuck on the Apple logo. I read how to restore it using itunes, but doing that will upgrade it to 4.0.2, which I want to avoid as supposedly a jailbreaking method hasn't been found (that I know of).

So long story short, how do I clean sweep my iphone and then jailbreak it?

Edit: Figured it out, just had to download 4.0.1 and then jailbreak it. Easy peasy.

So with that out of the way, here are the most desired apps:

1. A good comic reading app

2. An app that lets me look up book prices (or other items, such as videogames) through Amazon, Half, or whatever basically tells me the lowest price.

3. A YouTube video recording app

4. An app that lets me use Firefox and/or transfers my Firefox bookmarks.

5. Recommended themes!

And on the software side of things, I would like to know how to:

1. Select and transfer individual songs of my choice, as currently itunes only lets me add entire albums or playlists.

2. Convert and transfer videos of my choice to watch on the iphone.

Help is appreciated as always.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    , right now I need to focus on the baby steps.

I had a couple of issues, since my friend didn't do a thorough job of cleaning out his files and junk (or his billions of contacts), which had me google and muck around with things.

As a result, my iphone is stuck on the Apple logo. I read how to restore it using itunes, but doing that will upgrade it to 4.0.2, which I want to avoid as supposedly a jailbreaking method hasn't been found (that I know of).

Edit: Figured it out, just had to download 4.0.1 and then jailbreak it. Easy peasy.

2. An app that lets me look up book prices (or other items, such as videogames) through Amazon, Half, or whatever basically tells me the lowest price.

5. Recommended themes!

1. Select and transfer individual songs of my choice, as currently itunes only lets me add entire albums or playlists.

For 4 I think you'd want to just transfer your bookmarks to safari on your computer, then your iphone will pick them up.
    For 5, Glasklart is awesomely good looking, especially if you put a really nice picture behind it.

For 1 on the software, what I did was create a "transfer" playlist and just throw any song you want to transfer on that playlist, and then have your phone set to only sync that playlist. Then it's only putting on any song you manually put on that list, and it's taking off anything you take off that list.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, right now I need to focus on the baby steps.

5. Recommended themes!

For 4: http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2010/07/15/get-firefox-home-on-your-iphone/?

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    3) The Camera application should let you upload whatever you film to Youtube automatically.

5) Suave is my favorite. It's a matte theme, pretty understated and it has a matching theme for SBSettings. Thousands of icons have been made. Look for it on Mac Themes.

1b) Open iTunes and connect your phone to the computer. Select the phone under Devices and then under the Options portion of the page that is displayed there is "Manually manage music and videos". This will force one last sync between your library and your iPhone so if it's empty then everything in your iPod application will be erased. It's a pain in the ass but it will let you drag and drop.

2b) Use Handbrake to convert nearly any format to an iPhone compatible format. It has presets that you can select for the iPhone so all you do is select the video, select where it saves to and then you select the preset and you initiate the conversion. Add the converted files to your iTunes library and transfer them over.

Regarding restoring your iPhone back to a working state, I'm not sure if it will force you to download the latest OS revision in order to restore it. Do you have a previous backup that you can restore to? Unless you've already done so you should try to restore it and see if it makes you download the latest OS or if it will happily restore to the backup. It shouldn't do it automatically so if it does require you to do that then you can cancel it if necessary. However with the phone screwed up like that I'm not sure if you have very many options.

Sarksus on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I asked this in here a few months ago, but never got a response.

I need an app to access my files on a home computer (MP3s, images, etc.) from my iPhone. FTP access would be nice, too.

Hamurabi on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dropbox?

How large are these files?

Abracadaniel on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The largest of them would probably be movies stored on my HDD.

And I tried Dropbox, but I'd have to move any files I wanted to share into the special Dropbox folder, right? I want to share a 1TB hard-drive full of content, and it's not really feasible to do that with a single special folder.

Hamurabi on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Ummm... you know the details on what changed in the signal calculations are very well-known and not even remotely "fishy"? They're like the only signal bars that aren't bullshit.

Nope, I hadn't read anything else on the matter in quite a long time. I wasn't aware this was a grievous offense worthy of being hated to death over.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    Erandus wrote: »
    Ummm... you know the details on what changed in the signal calculations are very well-known and not even remotely "fishy"? They're like the only signal bars that aren't bullshit.

Nope, I hadn't read anything else on the matter in quite a long time. I wasn't aware this was a grievous offense worthy of being hated to death over.

No one is hating you to death but if you come into the iphone appreciation thread and shit on apple using extremely mal-informed non-data you can expect to be corrected.

So next time do the research and play nice?

Captain Vash on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

it doesn't take much

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited August 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »

And I tried Dropbox, but I'd have to move any files I wanted to share into the special Dropbox folder, right? I want to share a 1TB hard-drive full of content, and it's not really feasible to do that with a single special folder.

Orb is a possibility. Last time I used it it let you select folders to share and then it streamed the videos/pictures/music/documents over the Internet.

Sarksus on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Big Red Tie is an angry man, we realize that. But when the information is freely available and your argument is basically, "I haven't read anything about this but it sounds suspicious!" you have to expect to get attacked.

admanb on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Big Red Tie is an angry man, we realize that. But when the information is freely available and your argument is basically, "I haven't read anything about this but it sounds suspicious!" you have to expect to get attacked.

Fair enough, I posted in ignorance. I think I got the bumper thing right, at least.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010

When I had dust under my 3GS screen I just took it in and they swapped the screen on the spot.

Were you under warranty or anything, or did they just do a simple screen swap without asking you for any credentials?

There appears to be a small smudge on the corner of my screen, except it appears to be internal. If I put my finger on it, it would move a bit, which leads me to believe a simple screen removal plus wipe would take care of it.

It's not a big deal, but it is the sort of thing I get anal about, so if a quick visit to the Apple Store is enough to take care of it, I'm willing to do it.

Incidentally, my friend tells me he has two years left on the insurance, so I was meaning to ask what info I would need, if any, should the time ever come where I need a replacement phone.

Also, has anyone tried the 3D zombie photo app? It's awesome.

edited August 2010
    I was under warranty, and they did verify as such.

I didn't have to sign any work order forms like I did when I had the full phone replaced for cracked shell on my 3gs however.

If you're within warranty, either default or applecare, they really take care of you at the apple stores.

Captain Vash on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    A lot of store scanners have a hard time reading barcodes off of iPhone (or other phone) screens. The screens are reflective, and the lasers that read the barcodes are all "fuck that noise, there's nothing there but MORE LAZERS, yo.". I wanna see if my local Cineplex has scanners advanced enough to read from my iPhone - be nice to just buy the tickets on the way to the theatre on the phone and just walk on up to the theatre, flash the phone and get in. But the first time I try, I'm bringing a paper print-out just in case.

The scanners at cineplex won't read them. I tried it tonight. 3gs w/matte screen protector. The scanner is a laser-based one.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited August 2010
    I was under warranty, and they did verify as such.

I didn't have to sign any work order forms like I did when I had the full phone replaced for cracked shell on my 3gs however.

If you're within warranty, either default or applecare, they really take care of you at the apple stores.

Will the Apple section in a Best Buy handle it as well? That's the closest Apple-related store to my house, and it also gives me a chance to browse their FM transmitter cables.

So again, since this was a friend's phone that is now mine, am I going to require any info at all, or will they be able to scan it by the phone model number or some-such? He should have whatever info I require, but I want to know ahead of time.
    3) The Camera application should let you upload whatever you film to Youtube automatically.

Naw dude, other way around. I want to download and save videos from YouTube.

I found such an app, although it requires me to use the app itself to search for vids, instead of just letting me visit the standard YouTube one.

Does PA itself have any apps? There was an "i comic" thing that's supposed to load up PA strips, but I couldn't get it working for some reason.

• RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Will the Apple section in a Best Buy handle it as well? That's the closest Apple-related store to my house, and it also gives me a chance to browse their FM transmitter cables.

Not as far as I know. Might call and ask. Also, you might check http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/ and see if you find anything other than an Apple Store that could possibly repair iPhones. I don't believe there are any 3rd parties authorized to work on iPhones, but you never know.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »

You can do a bit of fanciness to share folders outside of the Dropbox folder, but for a 1TB that's probably not worth it.

For video I've had a lot of luck with Air Video on both iPhone/iPad, works great, just don't expect to be doing any processor/network-intensive stuff while you're streaming.

There used to be a music streamer that worked similarly to Air Video, but I believe Google bought them; unsure if their app is still in the App Store or actively supported.

Abracadaniel on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2010
    Mobile%20Photo%20Aug%2015%2C%202010%201%2038%2019%20PM.jpg

Mobile%20Photo%20Aug%2015%2C%202010%201%2038%2031%20PM.jpg

Mobile%20Photo%20Aug%2015%2C%202010%201%2038%2040%20PM.jpg

My current theme. I want to make the icons a little crisper for my iPhone 4, but this layout is amazingly functional for me.

The programs I use the most are right on the front page, which is the only page of icons I have. I have folders tucked under the dock, where I swipe to the left to get the folders, and swipe to the right to get to my settings and app store. This is accomplished by using infinidock to get the 5 icon paged dock, and infinifolders to get past the 12 app limit in folders (a must for my games).

And my lock screen?

Mobile%20Photo%20Aug%2015%2C%202010%201%2044%2035%20PM.jpg

Mail, calendar events, notifications, SMS, etc all show up on the screen as content shows up. My weekend is event free, so no notifications.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited August 2010
    So is there a way to have itunes display my music by my own categorized folders, instead of just dumping all the albums out at once? It's a real pain to search for music this way, as I already made my own specific categories.

Also, what do people use to convert videos and transfer them to the phone?

edited August 2010
    Winter board needs a retina display overhaul.

Captain Vash on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Handbrake works pretty well, it's got a preset for iPhone/iPod Touch video.

KalTorak on
    edited August 2010
    Got back from the Apple store. It turns out that smudge I couldn't get to was from the screen protector.

I guess I should've asked my friend if he had a screen protector on. :/

Wasn't a total waste, though, as the cable he gave me kept timing out when I would sync on my PC, so I had them replace it.

Does Mediamonkey support the 3GS? I'd sooner use that, as it's much easier to locate and transfer my music folders than with itunes.

edited August 2010
    There is some support for the iPhone in Media Monkey though I've never tried using it, I only use Media Monkey to organize music on my computer and transcode.
    So is there a way to have itunes display my music by my own categorized folders, instead of just dumping all the albums out at once? It's a real pain to search for music this way, as I already made my own specific categories.

How do you categorize them? The iPod application lets you sort by playlist, genre, artist, album and song.

Sarksus on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Regarding iPhone w/ music, I was under the assumption that it worked exactly like an iPod. Please correct me if I'm wrong so I don't bork things later this week.

If that *is* the case, you should be able to click on "Snugglesworth's iPhone" and on the front screen, there should be an option to only sync checked items. That should help. I'm completely going by my experience with my Nano, so take that for what you will.

Penny Arcade does not have an app like PVP does. You may try emailing Scott Kurtz though and see if there's some sort of fusion app in the works, now that he's moved into the PA offices. You should be able to reach PA's site and read their comics via the browser/bookmarks.

I would recommend also asking Scott or Kris Straub about good comic reader apps for the iPhone.

I don't know if there's anything out there that consolidates prices (it seems you're basically looking for www.pricewatch.com for books). I think you're going to be stuck searching the specific sites/apps for what you want. I've had a ton of good luck with Amazon so I simply stick with them.

Mugsley on
  • kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alright, so I got my Iphone today and noticed that the calender event alert sounds are...well, not loud enough. After my initial surprise at the lack of customisation, I looked around on the internet and noticed a lot of people mentioning how the only way you can customise it is by jailbreaking your phone? If true, it's probably a good thing I haven't updated to iOS 4.02 yet - I need something with a bit more oomph to it, being a sound sleeper.

kevindee on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kevindee wrote: »
    Alright, so I got my Iphone today and noticed that the calender event alert sounds are...well, not loud enough. After my initial surprise at the lack of customisation, I looked around on the internet and noticed a lot of people mentioning how the only way you can customise it is by jailbreaking your phone? If true, it's probably a good thing I haven't updated to iOS 4.02 yet - I need something with a bit more oomph to it, being a sound sleeper.

Alternately, you could find a free alarm clock app. :p

admanb on
  • kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alarm clock apps work alright for waking up (despite having to keep the app open at night, which is something i'm bound to forget), but for event notification they're not really useful.

kevindee on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    why would you use an alarm clock app instead of the Clock one that's included with your phone?

it runs in the background constantly, is way more reliable, and does the same thing

though, I'm sure there are iOS4 alarm clock apps in the works that use local notifications to play a sound rather than requiring you to leave the app open all night

Monoxide on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Picked up The Incident on a whim, and it's fantastic. Not quite as good as Tilt to Live, but still really fun time-killer.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
    edited August 2010
    kevindee wrote: »
    Alarm clock apps work alright for waking up (despite having to keep the app open at night, which is something i'm bound to forget), but for event notification they're not really useful.

I've seen a couple of docks for sale that charge your iphone while also working as an alarm clock.

Would be pretty handy for me, since my current alarm clock is an ugly piece of crap.
    KalTorak wrote: »

Handbrake works pretty well, it's got a preset for iPhone/iPod Touch video.

Tried it, works real nice so far.

But for vids with subtitles, how to you have the subtitles included when embedding the file?
    Sarksus wrote: »
    There is some support for the iPhone in Media Monkey though I've never tried using it, I only use Media Monkey to organize music on my computer and transcode.

I tried MM, but I get a message that I can only view the contents of my phone, but can't add music to it. Says the current firmware doesn't support, though I'm unsure if it's referring to my phone (4.0.1) or MM (3.2.1).
    How do you categorize them? The iPod application lets you sort by playlist, genre, artist, album and song.

I collect a lot of music, and while the songs themselves are in categorized folders (game soundtracks, film, etc), the song files may not have the correct info. As a result, I'm getting tons of fodder that puts the songs all over the place.

If I could just straight copy a folder like in MM it would save me a serious headache.

Anyway, few more questions.

1. With most of the themes I've tried so far, the slider bar when the phone is locked doesn't show up. I have to just slide at the empty spot where I know the slider is, but is this dependent on the theme, or is it something I'm not enabling?

2. How do I turn off an app or song? Most that I've seen keep playing the audio when I hit the home key, which makes me having to hit the pause button or something else manually. Is there a way to "turn off" the app while hitting the home key?

3. What's the best way to see if a certain website has an app? I'm trying to see if any of my favorite sites have an app that automatically fits it to the iphone, and I've only found a couple so far (Facebook, Amazon, Cracked). Is there a browser that automatically fits sites to the phone's screen?

4. I downloaded the Ebay seller app, which has a really awesome barcode scanning feature. The only problem is that it lacks a shipping calculator (I have to manually add the shipping cost). Is there a better Ebay app I should be using?

5. The Paypal app has a similar issue, where when I try to withdraw funds, it says that I'm exceeding the limit (which I'm nowhere near close).

So yeah, basically still listening to app suggestions.

edited August 2010
    Also, I just discovered the Dragon app.

Holy S, this thing is amazing, but I'm wondering if there's an even better app that can also record the tone of a voice, knowing when to add a question mark or coma based on your pitch.

But what I especially would like is more options to send the recorded text instantly to e-mail or even a notepad app. You can copy and paste the text, but a direct link would be real handy.

Think how useful this thing can be to budding authors who suddenly have a literary spark while driving in the middle of the road. Damn I love technology.

• AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Holy S, this thing is amazing, but I'm wondering if there's an even better app that can also record the tone of a voice, knowing when to add a question mark or coma based on your pitch.

But what I especially would like is more options to send the recorded text instantly to e-mail or even a notepad app. You can copy and paste the text, but a direct link would be real handy.

Think how useful this thing can be to budding authors who suddenly have a literary spark while driving in the middle of the road. Damn I love technology.

That does look good, but a lot of people are complaining that it goes through their contacts and uploads it to their servers. That sounds like a pretty big privacy breach.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Set up a Google Voice number and just call it and leave a message? They do free voicemail transcribing plus keep a hold of the actual message.

Mugsley on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »

Set up a Google Voice number and just call it and leave a message? They do free voicemail transcribing plus keep a hold of the actual message.

.... A couple of actual voicemails I've received from Google Voice transcriptions:

"Please say hello, please bye. "

"Hello, It's just me. Don't worry about. Call me back. I just wanna let you know truth, I was in the hospital to bounce. Hey bro. Thank you. "

"It's me, just one that's your question, so I'll talk to you later my. "

"it's on the under your okay so out there. Bye. Yes. "

"It's me, and then I had to calls for me. A here, so give me a call. Bye. "

"This catch up, and thanks for the discuss location everything except hi bye"

"I just want a at person has. He is the home money and he is home, billfold, so you just go from there."

"Hey, it's me. I just wanna tell you that the rather slim. Free "

"To see if you'd like to have you left. I will talk hello. Otherwise, for delivery"

These are just a few of the gems from my Google Voice transcripts. These are many different clear-speaking people.

GPIA7R on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ampix wrote: »

That does look good, but a lot of people are complaining that it goes through their contacts and uploads it to their servers. That sounds like a pretty big privacy breach.

They explicitly notify you of this and ask permission when you install the app. If you think about it for a second, a dictation app that couldn't keep a file with all your contacts and the way names are spelled would be a real pain to use.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, but why do they have to upload those contacts to a server somewhere? Why can't it work just fine on your phone?

Imperfect on