As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USB Hubs freezing.

MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
So at work, I have a USB Hub. It connects about 4 devices together. Total bandwidth is probably a few megabytes per second.

The problem is that these devices seem to freeze... frequently. I have tried several models of Hubs and they all freeze. The computer seems to be fine and doesn't have these problem when the individual devices are directly connected. Data communication will continue for days with the direct USB connections.

Are Hubs really this shitty? Are there any Hubs designed to be robust? Perhaps a watchdog timer or an external, software controllable reset?

steam_sig.png
Machismo on

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are you powering these off just usb or external as well? Trying an external power source would probably be easiest to test first.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Are you powering these off just usb or external as well? Trying an external power source would probably be easiest to test first.

I have external power for the hub and many of my devices require external power.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I work on USB. Hubs are bad news, any time we have issues, if there's a hub involved we tell people to remove it and go directly to the PC, that almost always clears it up.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I work on USB. Hubs are bad news, any time we have issues, if there's a hub involved we tell people to remove it and go directly to the PC, that almost always clears it up.

I have a test running wit this scenario, presently. Hopefully it will be much better.

As a side note, I am trying to get some interest in switching the National Instrument's Compact DAQ for this stuff. I can do everything with a single USB device. It'd be a lot easier and when stuff goes bad, I can normally reset the cDAQ where it can be hard to reset multiple devices (or impossible when a hub is involved) through software.

Cost kinda sucks since it is about 4 times as expensive, but it is much, much more stable.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png