As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Brink] and you'll miss the May 10th release date

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spring 2011 woo!

At first I was sad, but then I realized that that just gives them more time to make it awesome (Too Human and Alan Wake notwithstanding, those poor bastards)

Also, my wallet is pretty excited about one less "Fall 2010" game to buy.

hatedinamerica on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spring 2011 woo!

At first I was sad, but then I realized that that just gives them more time to make it awesome (Too Human and Alan Wake notwithstanding, those poor bastards)

Also, my wallet is pretty excited about one less "Fall 2010" game to buy.

At this point I'm not sure there are even that many games I want to buy Fall 2010.

But more polish time is always a good thing. Hopefully they get a beta out beforehand though.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just heard of this game. It looks pretty awesome. I love shooting stuff, and I love customizing my character, so this is very interesting.

DouglasDanger on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've always wanted multiplayer shooter quests to be implemented, with an exp system, now people will actually do things to help the team rather than treat it like a freaking deathmatch.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited August 2010
    I guess I am really late in reading all of the blogs, but I found them to be interesting. I love the visual style for this immensely. The twisted hyper-realism look is really great. I can't wait to play dress up with my character, haha.

Crumbling futures are one of my favorite settings, and the lack of clearly defined good and evil is nice.

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2010
    So the release date was moved back half a year, to spring 2011. I hope it is so it can be polished and made even more awesome. Does anyone know if this is the case?

DouglasDanger on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So the release date was moved back half a year, to spring 2011. I hope it is so it can be polished and made even more awesome. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Apparently, because whenever Brink is brought up on any gaming podcast post-E3, they say it's a mess of a game.

Kyougu on
    edited August 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

Apparently, because whenever Brink is brought up on any gaming podcast post-E3, they say it's a mess of a game.

Dang, that stinks. I hope they get it fixed. Can you provide any links? I haven't seen anyone really talking about it.

DouglasDanger on
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just discovered this today and it looks fucking awesome

parkour plus crumbling dystopia plus arcadey fifa street art direction plus shooting mans

=

bought

Wank on
    edited August 2010
    Man do forget about playing dress up with dozens of possible combinations, and the drop in multi campaign and the two sides of the story and and

man, i hope this is good. So much potential.

DouglasDanger on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

Dang, that stinks. I hope they get it fixed. Can you provide any links? I haven't seen anyone really talking about it.

Yeah, I don't really remember any podcasts talking about it at all. And the little bit of video footage looked pretty solid

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    hmm yeah, I haven't heard anyting about it being a "mess" either, but then again I don't even know what a Podcast is or how it works, so I'm not exactly on the cutting edge here.

All the footage I've seen looked really good, and I vaguely remember reading about a brief hands-on somebody got and they said it was pretty solid (I think).

hatedinamerica on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cautiously optimistic about this.

Quake Wars would have been good if it wasnt so let down by the feel of the combat.

Enemy Territory remains the best feeling shooter I've ever played. If you know what I mean, its hard to explain. Sound effects, net code, and visuals all lend to you knowing you hit someone or not. Hopefully someone out there understands what I'm saying. If I could describe the combat, I would say its chunky. In the best way possible.

donhonk on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it took a while to get used to the pace of W:ET after the relatively arcady movement in RtCW

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    So was that poster just being a goose? I haven't really seen anything, aside from the stuff on the site, and it looked pretty good in motion during the container city combat videos.

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I have been looking around, and I can't find anything about the game being terrible. Here is a new to me, old to probably everyone else Brink at e3 thing.

Gamespot played the ps3 version and said the controls are fairly typical shooter controls-- l1 to aim, r1 to fire, square to reload, and l2 to sprint/parkour, triangle to change weapons...

Another site in that e3 wrap up link mentions beards, and says there are different varieties of gas masks and glasses. Looking around the official site shows there are hundreds, maybe a thousand different dress up options.

And the same model of gun will look and sound differently, depending on which side you play.

DouglasDanger on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe it's just me but those container city videos look really really dark. Like, unplayably so. It was irritating to watch, which is a shame because the game itself seems cool.

BloodySloth on
    edited August 2010
    Maybe it's just me but those container city videos look really really dark. Like, unplayably so. It was irritating to watch, which is a shame because the game itself seems cool.

Watch the reactor or whatever level that was that they demoed at e3. So white, it's almost mirror's edge

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010

Those videos look terrible depending on where you watch them. I downloaded them on my PS3 and/or 360 (I forget which) and they looked awesome but when I tried to watch them somewhere else later, they were too dark to even bother watching.

You might say the difference is......night and day.

hatedinamerica on
    edited August 2010
    I think the container city level looked OK on my computer. I little dark at times, but that makes sense given the setting-- sort of a man made cavernous hive at night time.

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2010
    Brink is featured at Quakecon.
    Preorder stuff announced.
    Amazon and Direct2Drive* will get the Psycho bundle, which includes special gear and customization options, including the Caesar Revolver, tortured soul tattoo, several silencers (including one made from a soda can) and a Grin Face Mask that looks reminiscent of what the Batman villain Scarecrow wears.

Wal-mart and Steam pre-orders will get the Spec Ops bundle. Again, this is filled with custom gear and ways to make your player look unique. A hockler machine pistol, Sloani face mask, dog tag tattoo, and greeneye scope were mentioned as coming with these orders.

Perhaps the biggest pre-order bonuses are reserved for Best Buy and GameStop. Best Buy pre-orders get the Fallout pack, which includes special tattoos, skinned SMGs, a bandanna and more, custom tailored to show off your love of that other Bethesda title.

GameStop, meanwhile, gets the Doom pack. A screaming soul tee, special SMG skins, a Doom bandanna, and a Hellspawn tattoo are included in this pre-order bonus.

It is all cosmetic stuff, from the looks of it, which is awesome.

And a hands-on, also from Quakecon.

DouglasDanger on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty hype for this game

Like Doug said I'm interested in the art style (in that there is one)

Let's play parkour dress-up also with shooting bullets out of our guns

Kazaka on
    edited August 2010
    I don't know which preorder to go with. The only one I am not interested in is the Wal-mart/Steam one. Probably Best Buy.

DouglasDanger on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heresy.

Mechanical on
    edited August 2010
    hmm I really like the sound of that Fallout pack, but...the idea of preordering a game at Best Buy is really weird to me, so I don't know if I can go through with it. Prolly go with Gamestop. Maybe Amazon, if they end up having any deals on it.

hatedinamerica on
    edited August 2010
    Eurogamer goes to Container City.

Nothing really new, but it is a good article

Gamespot Interview With Paul Wedgwood

Paul talks about the class-based tasks (medics passing out med packs and healing, for example) giving considerably more XP than killing guys. That sounds like a good thing. I haven't played an online shooter since Halo2, but rewarding role-playing and team work is awesome.

The interview also discusses how you can change your role (operative, soldier, medic and heavy, I think) in the middle of a mission, and several older videos feature this. You don't have to die to do it, you can go to a terminal/station and change your role. Developers mentioned somewhere they are working on visually differentiating the different roles, possibly by changing your back pack.

This is going to be interesting. I can see it being really awesome.

I saw on the official forums that there may not be leaderboards for kills, which is a brilliant idea. I imagine there will be a deathmatch type mode, but the team play objective matches should not have kill counts.

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2010
    Anyone know if they're going to have dual objective maps, or if it's all going to be attack/defend?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Anyone know if they're going to have dual objective maps, or if it's all going to be attack/defend?

I'm not sure. We've only really seen one map so far, Container City. And I think we have only seen one thing to do in it. I don't think we have seen anything else yet.

edit-- BRINKish (a fansite) did a Q and A
    BRINKish.eu: What gametype/s comes with Brink?
    A: Brink is an objective-driven game – all of the levels are built around a series of core objectives that the attacking team must complete within the timelimit in order to win the map. This type of gameplay is core to what our games are, and everything about a given level is tailored and balanced to suit this end. The different levels essentially have different gametypes contained within them, and these are all linked together into a larger overarching narrative. Brink will stick to these principles, as deviating from them would compromise both our unique gameplay and our story.

Brink will also feature the competition-friendly Stopwatch mode, in which both teams get to be on the attacking side in succession and try to beat each other’s time. Lastly, players will also be able to set up custom matches with many possible configurations.

Objective-based, stopwatch and custom. Hm. Stopwatch sounds cool, and custom has lots of potential.

I really hope Brink lives up to its potential. It sounds incredibly ambitious.

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2010
    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    I know this game is about six months away, but I thought more people would be interested. It is a very ambitious project with some really interesting concepts.

DouglasDanger on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know this game is about six months away, but I thought more people would be interested. It is a very ambitious project with some really interesting concepts.

Splash Damage doesn't really have quite the following it once did back in the W:ET days. Quake Wars, while competent, never really rocketed them into the echelon of developers with legions of ravenous fans.

This looks great, agreed, but Splash Damage still has a lot to prove.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited August 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Splash Damage doesn't really have quite the following it once did back in the W:ET days. Quake Wars, while competent, never really rocketed them into the echelon of developers with legions of ravenous fans.

This looks great, agreed, but Splash Damage still has a lot to prove.

The shoddy console ports certainly didn't help. Hopefully Bethesda will spend time and money advertising it, rather than letting it languish like a lot of their other 3rd party games, like WET or whatever that star trek one was

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm pretty excited about it but I'm trying not to read too much about it until release. Media blackout and all, I like to leave as much of it a surprise as I can.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really loving the look of this game! The SMART stuff looks really slick but it looks like it might be tricky to control.

Cannon Goose on
    edited August 2010
    The art style reminds me of Timesplitters for some reason.

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Hopefully Bethesda will spend time and money advertising it, rather than letting it languish like a lot of their other 3rd party games, like WET or whatever that star trek one was

They seem pretty comitted to getting the word out. Nick Brecken (I think that was his name) sent me a Brink poster just for starting this thread. Imagine my surprise!

And they've been releasing a steady trickle of info for a while now; just enough to keep people (well, me, at least) interested without giving us too much and overloading us. I imagine it'll only ramp up as the release date draws nearer.

I just can't wait. Spring 2011 seems so far away! I'm so sick of MW2 but I can't stop until I have another shooter to take it's place. bleh

hatedinamerica on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SMART is the fulcrum of the project, I think. If it sucks, the game will suck, and if it is competent, then the rest of the game can shine. Alternatively everyone will ignore it in multiplayer like they do for Gears of War, which I cannot express how much I hate.

Kazaka on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The game looks so great.

4rch3nemy on
    edited August 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »
    SMART is the fulcrum of the project, I think. If it sucks, the game will suck, and if it is competent, then the rest of the game can shine. Alternatively everyone will ignore it in multiplayer like they do for Gears of War, which I cannot express how much I hate.

Nah, that'd be fine actually, as it would give people who did use it an advantage

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Love the look and ideas of this game being able to move freely will make Multi so sweet.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
This discussion has been closed.