As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[!] Metal Gear Solid Mega-thread.

IgortIgort Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
Blatantly recycled OP commence:

Metal Gear Solid: Mega-Thread

This is the place to discuss Metal Gear and possibly other Hideo Kojima related projects.

What are we looking forward to/talking about right now?

Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Raiden%3F.jpg

Click for E3 2009 Teaser.

Click for E3 2010 Trailer

Metal Gear Solid: Rising stars Raiden, and will take place between MGS2 and MGS4. According to the "Metal Gear Solid 4 Database" this dates the game between 2012 (the year Raiden was captured by the Patriots and given his exo-skeleton) and 2014 (the year of MGS4). Crying Wolf is also somehow involved in the game, as concept art from E3 2009 shows.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Next_Big_Boss.jpg

E3 Trailer.

GamesCon 09 Trailer.

This game is out now! Go buy it!!

Kojima will be writing and producing Peace Walker. It is set in 1974, ten years after Snake Eater, four years after Portable Ops and two years after the Les Enfants Terribles project, which resulted in the birth of the Sons of Big Boss. It will chronicle Big Boss setting up a military force without a government, known as Militaires Sans Frontieres, who have been hired by Costa Rica to defend themselves from a powerful army which wishes to take over and deploy weapons there. This is the beginning of what will become Outer Heaven.

So, any questions?

Metal Gear Solid: Rising will basically be Metal Gear Solid 5?

Kojima says Rising is the "next gen MGS5", and Peace Walker is "the MGS5 inside me".

Rising is 360 exclusive?

It will also be coming to PS3 and PC.

And Peace Walker is basically Portable Ops 2?

Yeah, basically. It carries the exact same graphic style and camera, is set a few years after, and you play as Big Boss (Naked Snake). It essentially makes a Big Boss trilogy, along with Snake Eater and Portable Ops.

I never got a PS3, and have never played MGS before. What do I need to know?

Well, here's a timeline of the general events, mixed in with some relevant real world events. Note: it is rather long and contains spoilers for all the games that are out so far.

There's been seven game in the series so far, but these new ones make it nine. Here's the games in chronological order:

1964: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
1970: Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
1974: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
1995: Metal Gear
1999: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
2005: Metal Gear Solid (The Twin Snakes)
2007/09: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty
2012-ish Metal Gear Solid: Rising
2014: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots

Don't worry about playing Metal Gear or Metal Gear 2 as they've been pretty much retconned to oblivion. You can get by just reading a story synopsis. Portable Ops contained some hints at plot-twists which are fully revealed in MGS4, and if you enjoyed MGS3 it's an interesting epilogue. The PSP's controls turned a lot of people off however.

There are also other games in the series:

Snake's Revenge NES

An American, non-Kojima created sequel to the original Metal Gear. Apparently it's balls hard, and is also largely forgotten about. Kojima liked it though, enough so that it inspired him to make his own sequel to Metal Gear, which eventually led us to where we are today.

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel Game Boy Color

An alternative sequel to Metal Gear, exclusively on the Game Boy. Plays similar to early Metal Gear games, and features a series of awesome bosses.

Metal Gear AC!D & Metal Gear AC!D 2 PSP

Ac!d subtracts the action the Metal Gear games are known for, replacing it with turn-based trading card game based gameplay. Not for everyone, but worth a look.

Metal Gear Solid Mobile Mobile Phones

MGS action on the go. Plays similar to MGS2, with it's own special camo system, linked to your phone's camera. The story is set between MGS1 and MGS2, leaving Metal Gear geeks like me to ask the inevitable and unanswerable question "is it canon!?"

Igort on

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just picked up Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance yesterday for 9 euros. If they had had Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, I would have picked that up.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Possibly the most exciting thing about Metal Gear Solid: Rising for me, apart from the fact that I can finally play a Metal Gear Solid game on my PC, is that you can actually slice enemies in half. You can even choose the fucking angle.

Does that make me a terrible person?

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Where's my AC!D 2! :x

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Where's my AC!D 2! :x

At your local store?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited August 2010
    He means in the chronology.

AzadIsCool on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MGS4 is only 18 bucks now. I really might have to play through the series, finally.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    AzadIsCool wrote: »

No I mean, if you are going to do a mega thread about all the MGS games you should mention that one.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited August 2010
    Oh, silly me. I thought you meant where is it in the list of the order of Metal Gear Solid games.

AzadIsCool on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay. Peace Walker boss beaten (and happened to be the easiest boss in the game. They seemed to get progressively easier, which is odd). Now I have these dude-hunts every time I complete a few extra ops. Does this culminate to the real end of the game, or is it just busy work to keep you occupied so yo don't move on to another game?

-Loki- on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Okay. Peace Walker boss beaten (and happened to be the easiest boss in the game. They seemed to get progressively easier, which is odd). Now I have these dude-hunts every time I complete a few extra ops. Does this culminate to the real end of the game, or is it just busy work to keep you occupied so yo don't move on to another game?

The real ending one.

AnteCantelope on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yes, it builds up to the 'real' ending of the game, which will then open up a lot more EX Ops to play.

And just to put this here, in case you get lost after so many man-hunts (Double-spoilered in case, since it's the solution, not a hint)
    Last time you have to look for Zadornov:
    First Ex Op mission, upstairs.

I -believe- they mention it, or leave clues, but I can't for the life of me remember any of them. So, yeah, a lot of people get to that point and go "wtf now", so just putting that there so it's out again.

Also, just as a side-note, the Ac!d games aren't tied to the Main MG series. They might not even be tied to each other. I don't quite remember.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They're not tied to anything. But they're still Metal Gear games, awesome, and even more batshit crazy than the canon series. For pure guano to sanity ratio, AC!D is where it's at.

The_Spaniard knows what's up. Now I feel like playing AC!D 2 again!

Elderlycrawfish on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have to say - I wish Kojima took Peace Walkers story approach to MGS 4. Less crazy - still crazy, but less crazy, with basic, followable plot for the main mission line. The mission debriefs and database codec entries are there for the twisting plot if that's what you want. Peace Walker has been a real pleasure to play and follow.

-Loki- on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have to say - I wish Kojima took Peace Walkers story approach to MGS 4. Less crazy - still crazy, but less crazy, with basic, followable plot for the main mission line. The mission debriefs and database codec entries are there for the twisting plot if that's what you want. Peace Walker has been a real pleasure to play and follow.

In a way, I agree. However, all the games leading up to MGS4 basically made having a relatively simple plot impossible. They left too much unresolved until MGS4. It hardly had a chance to have its own plot, it was almost just there to wrap everything up from before.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Well, wrapping it up over a couple of games instead of 1 game could have helped alleviate that problem.

-Loki- on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I finally have access to a PS3 and a copy of MGS4. Sweet sweet Metal Gear will envelop me as soon as Valkyria Chronicles decides to end goddamn how is there so much more of you after 40 hours fuck.

Monger on
    edited August 2010
    They're not tied to anything. But they're still Metal Gear games, awesome, and even more batshit crazy than the canon series. For pure guano to sanity ratio, AC!D is where it's at.

If you start playing again type in TheSpaniard in the code screen to unlock the card I designed for the game.

The_Spaniard on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    okay you guys remember how I got the Essential Collection, but the MGS2 disc didnt work, right?

well I went into gamestop and found a copy for like five bucks, it was ALSO an essential collection copy(it had the black and white disc art)

IT DIDNT WORK EITHER!

so a couple days ago I looked at the first mgs2 disc and noticed that THE LAYERS OF THE DISC WERE STARTING TO SEPARATE

and it was ALSO happening on the SECOND mgs2 disc!

is this like a common occurrence or some shit?

VALVEjunkie on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Possibly the most exciting thing about Metal Gear Solid: Rising for me, apart from the fact that I can finally play a Metal Gear Solid game on my PC, is that you can actually slice enemies in half. You can even choose the fucking angle.

Does that make me a terrible person?

MGS1 and MGS2 are both available on PC...

No I mean, if you are going to do a mega thread about all the MGS games you should mention that one.

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't mad on the Ac!d games, so I often forget about them. I'll do a little write up on them, I guess.

Igort on
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dudes, i recently re-purchased a psp specifically to play Peace Walker because i kept hearing about how awesome it was, and i've not been disappointed. The amount of content is staggering, and i find it hard to get bored with the variety of what's on offer here. Shit, even practicing at the shooting range is strangely fun.

DusT_HounD on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A little tidbit on Rising, you can still complete the game without killing a human
    http://kotaku.com/5616992/metal-gear-solid-rising-lets-you-cut-with-a-conscience-continues-no+kill-tradition
    "I believe that MGS has a key stealth element in not trying to kill anyone," Matsuyama says. "You could actually have a no-kill completion [in Rising]. There will be a lot of mechs and cyborgs, but if you slice them up, that will be considered as a no-kill as well. You'll have the freedom of killing humans, of course, but you can proceed through the game without killing a human being, but slicing up mechs and cyborgs."

Matsuyama also talked about the option of cutting the weapons and ammunition of enemies, rendering them defenseless. That awesome display of the power of Raiden's high frequency blade will be intimidating enough to make some enemies run away.

"I will put the essence of the beauty of the no-kill," he says. "I want to emphasize that I will never reward a player for killing human beings in the game. I won't make it easier to clear the game [that way]. I will probably make it more difficult."

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Igort wrote: »
    MGS1 and MGS2 are both available on PC...

You, sir, have made my day.

It's pretty expensive on Amazon though, but I'll keep an eye out for a good price.

AzadIsCool on
    edited August 2010
    yaaaaaaay no-kill runs in rising!

also,
    okay you guys remember how I got the Essential Collection, but the MGS2 disc didnt work, right?

well I went into gamestop and found a copy for like five bucks, it was ALSO an essential collection copy(it had the black and white disc art)

IT DIDNT WORK EITHER!

so a couple days ago I looked at the first mgs2 disc and noticed that THE LAYERS OF THE DISC WERE STARTING TO SEPARATE

and it was ALSO happening on the SECOND mgs2 disc!

is this like a common occurrence or some shit?

now I KNOW you guys saw this don't act like you didn't :<

VALVEjunkie on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My MGS2 from the collection works fine. I didn't answer because I have no idea how to help you.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
    edited August 2010
    oh :?
    yea I'm pretty sure this cant be fixed, so I bought a third copy(the xbox version)

man if this one doesn't work I am going to be so sad

VALVEjunkie on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

If you start playing again type in TheSpaniard in the code screen to unlock the card I designed for the game.

For serious? That's awesome. Now I'm definitely going to have to try it out.

It better spawn a gun that shoots out smaller guns that shoots out tiny bears, or I'll be slightly disappointed. :P

Elderlycrawfish on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's really sad that I spent a few minutes wondering what the hell the ! was for in crazy PA forum thread making speak.

And then I'm like.

WAIT

YOU IDIOT

:oops:

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited August 2010
    ShimSham wrote: »
    A little tidbit on Rising, you can still complete the game without killing a human
    http://kotaku.com/5616992/metal-gear-solid-rising-lets-you-cut-with-a-conscience-continues-no+kill-tradition
    Blah Blah Blah

Oh god that article only mentioned 360 and PS3 versions! This is coming out for PC, right?

AzadIsCool on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks to that article, I just saw the Rising E3 trailer for the first time (no idea how I missed it up to this point)

holy shit

hatedinamerica on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My favourite part was the watermelon.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited August 2010
    Man this dude-hunt is getting tedious. Some of the extra ops you need to do to trigger them are harder than the end game story missions.

-Loki- on
    edited August 2010
    Thanks to that article, I just saw the Rising E3 trailer for the first time (no idea how I missed it up to this point)

holy shit

unlockable chef hat+apron GO(and maybe a gray fox skin perhaps oh please put in an unlockable gray fox skin)

and yes, Azad, it is coming out for the PC as well

VALVEjunkie on
    edited August 2010
    Man this dude-hunt is getting tedious. Some of the extra ops you need to do to trigger them are harder than the end game story missions.

peace walker is out here?

Morninglord on
    edited August 2010

For serious? That's awesome. Now I'm definitely going to have to try it out.

It better spawn a gun that shoots out smaller guns that shoots out tiny bears, or I'll be slightly disappointed. :P
    You better post your thoughts when you unlock it.

The_Spaniard on
    edited August 2010

... yes? I got mine on June 16th (at least, that's when I did the data install according to my PSP). So 2 months ago.

-Loki- on
    edited August 2010

holy shit

unlockable chef hat+apron GO(and maybe a gray fox skin perhaps oh please put in an unlockable gray fox skin)

and yes, Azad, it is coming out for the PC as well

It's weird that I had such a hard time finding this info. I google it and all I saw was rumors.

AzadIsCool on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saw a thing on Kotaku that the producer of Rising is pushing really hard to make No-Kill runs an integral part of the experience. It already is to a lot of Metal Gear fans, for sure, but he said that he hoped Rising would not only bring in a new audience, but introduce them to institutions that are established in the MG series.

I like the idea of "high-speed stealth" too. Sounds like a blast.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2010
    Man, no-kills run are so boring. I've been doing it as much as possible in Peace Walker, but I'm sick of it. now I go around with a silenced M16, and just drill thugs through the head with it. If there's 2 in close proximity, I'll tranq them both and then cap them in the head so I don't raise an alarm.

These fuckers deserve it for all of the ganging up they do on you in vehicle battles.

-Loki- on
    edited August 2010

... yes? I got mine on June 16th (at least, that's when I did the data install according to my PSP). So 2 months ago.

I'm basically permanently out of touch with...anything.

Morninglord on