As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]tack Dog

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would be interested in a capsaicin extraction, just for novelty's sake. Maybe chop and dry some habaneros, soak in ethanol or even something like IPA or DCM. I imagine you could evaporate the latter two solvents and re-dissolve your impure capsaicin goo in a more edible solvent. D-Limonene is chemically similar to xylene and is nontoxic, but it would likely impart a bitter flavor to the extract. Doubt it would be noticeable though, since this stuff would certainly be active by the drop.

TL DR on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Broccoli and cheese soup does not sound appealing. But I don't really like my soup world and my cheese world to mix.

Unless we's talking some french onion soup. But that's a whole 'nother animal.

Cheese soup isn't exactly an exotic concept.

Yeah, I get that. It just sounds like it'd make you feel bloated and nasty and such.

I actually use very little cheese. Although I more than make up for it in butter.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i have no idea what feral is trying to say unless it's just glibly asserting that things should never be assessed as to how common they are and only assessed as to whether or not they are harmful

i don't think he's saying this, though, because feral is a smart dude and this would be a silly thing to assert

Right, I'm saying that we can assess things based on commonality and/or consequences.

In other words, despite comments made about me to the contrary, I'm not going to defend any and all uncommon sexual practices or social behavior. Some things are clearly bad.

Usually, what we're saying by "normal" is "benign" or just "okay." It's okay to be gay, for instance. We've decided this (for the most part) as a society because we know now that being gay is benign.

yeah i think we generally agree on this, though i generally read "normal" as "common or routine" though i understand sometimes it implies "acceptable" as well

i guess i probably have a somewhat more holistic view on it than you do, in that I would be more apt to decide whether the larger subculture surrounding the sexual practice was unhealthy or harmful, rather than just the act itself.

and also i will freely admit that i get kinda squicked out by plenty of stuff that isn't necessarily first-degree harmful (like adult babies f'rinstance)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I have the house to myself for like, six hours with nothing to do

I think I'll take a shower

then watch a movie

and then play some Heavy Rain

awwww yeah

I made the mistake once of thinking I'd have the house to myself for a long period of time since I thought all my roommates had left to visit family for the holidays. I was laying on the couch in my boxers watching some TV when I discovered that instead, my roommate had gone to meet his family for lunch and that they would then be coming to hang out at our place for a while. By his family I mean like, a lot of people, it was a bit embarassing.

Now days I just walk around the apartment in my boxers all the time and my roommates can just deal.
    My roommate's girlfriend moved in with us for a couple of months at one point. One of my conditions for her moving in was "I'm not going to wear pants in my own apartment."

:^:

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would be interested in a capsaicin extraction, just for novelty's sake. Maybe chop and dry some habaneros, soak in ethanol or even something like IPA or DCM. I imagine you could evaporate the latter two solvents and re-dissolve your impure capsaicin goo in a more edible solvent. D-Limonene is chemically similar to xylene and is nontoxic, but it would likely impart a bitter flavor to the extract. Doubt it would be noticeable though, since this stuff would certainly be active by the drop.

Tim honestly

Just buy capsaicin extract- it isn't hard to come by

Arch on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I use to make food so spicy it would make my mouth go numb. I try not to do that as much anymore.

I had a phase like that. Then I realized that maybe a sense of flavor in the food was good too and dialed it down.

Echo on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    and also i will freely admit that i get kinda squicked out by plenty of stuff that isn't necessarily first-degree harmful (like adult babies f'rinstance)

For me, it's mostly just the idea that they are pooping themselves.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    alright, I need to bounce

later, [chat]

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My point Tim is that let the industrial chemists do this; This is actually harder than it sounds.

Arch on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    hello chat

I took today off because I could.

booooooo

I technically worked last sunday though.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    What a bunch of douche bags.

Guys deliberately misdescribed an item on eBay. An expensive item. What they called a binding defect was actually A FUCKING CRACK IN THE NECK OF THE GUITAR that RUINED ANY CHANCE OF PLAYABILITY.

So I get a full refund and leave them neutral feedback. I figured that was more than fair. There's no way that they would have described it as a binding defect if they had even touched the guitar. And they said they did, since I asked. They had a guy that worked there that played guitar as a hobby and checked it out and reported that it played fine. Binding defect.

So they respond to my Feedback. "Wow. Neutral after a Full Refund. Avoid this Buyer".

Fuck you, dude.

So now it's out there in big letters that they deliberated tried to fuck me.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I have been on a sriracha kick lately. It's good mixed in eggs, pizza sauce, on hamburgers, everything!

i like it on really strongly-flavored foods

like mcdonald's double cheeseburgers

but don't care for it on delicately-flavored foods like eggs

i use powdered cayenne, roasted green chilies, fresh jalapeno or sambal oelek for more delicate things

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arch wrote: »

Tim honestly

I thought you were a scientist.

Why do you hate fun

TL DR on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, this is weird and I could some insight or a hint or something.

Since about last week, about 1/3rd of my attempts to load any page found forums.penny-arcade.com from work either take about 3 minutes to complete or are met with a network error (delivered by my workplace's custom network error page). It only ever happens here in the forums and while I'm at work.

Should I be concerned?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a pretty big fan of pants

they keep my legs warm

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

you know in the adult babies world there is some divide like Poopers who are "dedicated to the baby lifestyle" and non-poopers who do adult babies recreationally.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I use to make food so spicy it would make my mouth go numb. I try not to do that as much anymore.

I had a phase like that. Then I realized that maybe a sense of flavor in the food was good too and dialed it down.

Mine was working at the mall, a friend of mine worked at the "Japanese" beef bowl place. Most of the food was flavorless anyway and he made it special for me. Though deathly spicy doesn't mean flavorless, like some super hot Indian curries. Just means you need a toilet near by though.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gooey wrote: »

they keep my legs warm

Also furniture free of body hair and fart residue.

TL DR on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah i think we generally agree on this, though i generally read "normal" as "common or routine" though i understand sometimes it implies "acceptable" as well

i guess i probably have a somewhat more holistic view on it than you do, in that I would be more apt to decide whether the larger subculture surrounding the sexual practice was unhealthy or harmful, rather than just the act itself.

I know the point of adult babyism is the whole "being taken care of" side of it, but there is no way to extricate the "baby" side of the sexual act from the sexual act. It just toes a line I'm not comfortable with being toed.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ew.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Podly wrote: »

you know in the adult babies world there is some divide like Poopers who are "dedicated to the baby lifestyle" and non-poopers who do adult babies recreationally.

it's kind of like whether you enjoy fansubs or dubs

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Will I think you might be right about New England cooks.

I was going to argue with you about this on the basis that my mother and I are both exceptional cooks, but then I remembered that my mom is from Illinois, and that all my friends' mothers growing up were indeed awful awful cooks.

My italian gradmother is a great cook and she's from Massachusetts. I am also p. good at preparing food and so am I.

I forgot about the Italians. Yes they are usually good cooks. The Irish, though. My lord the Irish. ugh.

speaking of, i have a buddy coming into town from texas tonight and i'm thinking of taking him to the north end for dinner

any suggestions? every place i've been to feels samey and touristy but there's got to be somewhere that doesn't suck

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Tim honestly

Why do you hate fun

Because I don't want you to die after eating hot sauce still tainted with Di chloro methane

Arch on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

they keep my legs warm
    Pants are the worst.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    God damn it, Podly. I can never un-know that.

TL DR on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, this is weird and I could some insight or a hint or something.

Since about last week, about 1/3rd of my attempts to load any page found forums.penny-arcade.com from work either take about 3 minutes to complete or are met with a network error (delivered by my workplace's custom network error page). It only ever happens here in the forums and while I'm at work.

Should I be concerned?

I've been having the same thing quite a lot from around 10pm (UK time).

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

they keep my legs warm

Also furniture free of body hair and fart residue.

I imagine a Craigslist ad like this:

for sale: 1 couch, full of beer farts and pubes, bring a truck and a friend. PS. This couch is COLD

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    also, the Boston portuguese are p good cooks

but the irish are terrible

and a lot of the italian families have been here for so long that their food sucks too

and also the greeks are p bad

new england is just a culinary vampire. it sucks all the flavor out of every cuisine and needs a constant influx of new cuisines in order to maintain anything approaching vitality

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't get how an extra layer somehow magically protects your couch from farts.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

they keep my legs warm
    Pants are the worst.

you are pretty much wearing pants all the time

(you are really hairy)

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    What a bunch of douche bags.

Guys deliberately misdescribed an item on eBay. An expensive item. What they called a binding defect was actually A FUCKING CRACK IN THE NECK OF THE GUITAR that RUINED ANY CHANCE OF PLAYABILITY.

So I get a full refund and leave them neutral feedback. I figured that was more than fair. There's no way that they would have described it as a binding defect if they had even touched the guitar. And they said they did, since I asked. They had a guy that worked there that played guitar as a hobby and checked it out and reported that it played fine. Binding defect.

So they respond to my Feedback. "Wow. Neutral after a Full Refund. Avoid this Buyer".

Fuck you, dude.

So now it's out there in big letters that they deliberated tried to fuck me.

What kinda guitar was it

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I mean, I'm just speculating here.

But you just know that's gotta be the case.

poopers and non-poopers

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    and now time for SC2

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    also, the Boston portuguese are p good cooks

but the irish are terrible

and a lot of the italian families have been here for so long that their food sucks too

and also the greeks are p bad

new england is just a culinary vampire. it sucks all the flavor out of every cuisine and needs a constant influx of new cuisines in order to maintain anything approaching vitality
    You should visit Seattle, Will. We have awesome food out here.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Will I think you might be right about New England cooks.

I was going to argue with you about this on the basis that my mother and I are both exceptional cooks, but then I remembered that my mom is from Illinois, and that all my friends' mothers growing up were indeed awful awful cooks.

My italian gradmother is a great cook and she's from Massachusetts. I am also p. good at preparing food and so am I.

I forgot about the Italians. Yes they are usually good cooks. The Irish, though. My lord the Irish. ugh.

speaking of, i have a buddy coming into town from texas tonight and i'm thinking of taking him to the north end for dinner

any suggestions? every place i've been to feels samey and touristy but there's got to be somewhere that doesn't suck

I like Asaggio's. It's right off Hanover street, about a block away from Mike's Pastry [ps Modern pastry and Bova's are both better than Mike's]. But honestly basically any restaurant there is going to feel like "Hey look, generic Italian restaurant."

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i am not a guitar person but the neck seems like an important part

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

they keep my legs warm
    Pants are the worst.
    you are pretty much wearing pants all the time

(you are really hairy)
    My legs are actually not that hairy; they have pretty much the perfect amount of hair on them.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

they keep my legs warm
    Pants are the worst.

a tear

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Tim honestly

Why do you hate fun

Because I don't want you to die after eating hot sauce still tainted with Di chloro methane

I was just musing, it's not like I have what, to the untrained eye, would appear to be a meth lab in this trailer full of solvents and hanging bundles of chilies.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Podly wrote: »

if you don't interject gibberish in day-to-day conversations then you're just a fuckin tourist man

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.