As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First Year PAX

• ZerhackermanZerhackerman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The reason I looked in this thread was to get an idea of the necessary prep. and I do appreciate the folks who have taken the time to offer their advice

SwagPack
    water container
    good shoes
    sharpie
    pen and notebook
    dress in layers
    camera
    small meds - bandaids, aspirin, tums, etc
    DS and PSP
    Usuals (phone/wallet/etc)
    Hand sani - no a germophobe, but PAXPlague sounds pretty vile
    Chargers for electronics.

Being a member of the Local Scum, I can offer a bit of advice: if you arent arriving at the airport and your hotel has you staying a bit further away than downtown - look for park n ride lots. If you can get to one of those, it is almost certain you can get a bus to the convention center within the hour.

Zerhackerman on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Coolcat wrote: »
    This will be my first time going to PAX, i will only be able to attend on the 5th (sunday). I'm looking for suggestions on what to do there, what you wish you had done your first time there, or any sort of tips on how to make this experience a good one. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I understand people are different and like to do different things just try to think back on what you had wished you'd done.
    This is a tough question but I'll take a stab at it:
    1. Understand that there is too much PAX for any one person to enjoy all of. You will want to come back next year.
    2. The only "regret" I can think of is with regard to Expo hall unreleased game stuff. It's awesome to stand in line and play a game that isn't out yet, to discuss that game with others at the show, and to return home and briefly have a unique position among your peer group, since you've played a game and everybody else has just read about it. But that is extremely dated information. A year from now the game will have been released and played to death, and people will be bored of it. It'll be useful to remember how something that initially seemed so amazing now seems fully explored, consumed, and boring.
    3. To me, PAX is more about social interactions than content. Frequently it's about social interactions created or enabled by that content, though.
    4. All that said, trust your own interests. If you think it sounds interesting, it probably will be.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    It's "awesome" to stand in line and play a game that isn't out yet, to discuss that game with others at the show, and to return home and briefly have a unique position among your peer group, since you've played a game and everybody else has just read about it.

Fix'd.

I didn't stand in a single demo line last year. I learned just as much about upcoming games standing back and watching other folks play the demos. Some amount of line-sitting is required for PAX, but those lines seemed like the BIGGEST waste of my time.

Why would I want to stand in a line for [x] hours, to play 5 minutes of a demo? I could have spent those [x] hours actually *playing* other things (BYOC, Handheld Lounge, board games, etc etc etc), or at least have a nice hour+ panel to enjoy at the end of the line-sit.

My time at PAX is precious and limited, and I intend to make the best use of it possible ;)

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    edited August 2010
    I agree with the scare-quotes-enhanced version of my advice. I also didn't stand in any lines except the one for Forza 3, and the brief race I had with 3 last year didn't really inform any decisions about anything. I had far more fun doing part of a lap of the Ring in Forza 2 with the 3-monitor setup they had in Console Freeplay.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    RaajTM wrote: »
    I forgot to ask in a previous post.

What is the weather like this time of year? Just curious if I should bring more of one type of clothing instead of all long pants. I know it gets misty and rainy so I am brining clothes for those conditions but I am from California and its pretty much been shorts and t-shirts, would it be alright to pack some shorts or should I just stick to long pants and a sweatshirt/jacket?

Bah! Southern California. Up here in the North it's been yet another year in the low 60s with the fog blocking out the sun for weeks at a time. It's actually been colder than usual this year. My shorts are a distant memory that hide in the bottom of my dresser hoping for a rare chance to visit someplace else that has actual summer. Once my favorite season and now a grim, cruel joke.

Belgand on
  • TheInt3rsectTheInt3rsect Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In regard to the panels, how early should I be at the theaters to assure a good seat or even a seat at all?

The community here seems great and friendly! I'm looking forward to running in to you guys during the expo!

TheInt3rsect on
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Belgand wrote: »
    Bah! Southern California. Up here in the North it's been yet another year in the low 60s with the fog blocking out the sun for weeks at a time. It's actually been colder than usual this year. My shorts are a distant memory that hide in the bottom of my dresser hoping for a rare chance to visit someplace else that has actual summer.

Ah, yes, I remember that place from when I lived in Napa. That mythical summery place we called "Sacramento".

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i just got my badge for my first PAX! and i got a good friend to model it for me!
    dsc01067.jpg

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
  • RICEKING212RICEKING212 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i just got my badge for my first PAX! and i got a good friend to model it for me!
    dsc01067.jpg

Whoa! Where did you get the Stephen Colbert cardboard cutout? Now I want one really bad!

RICEKING212 on
    Not in cruelty
    Not in wrath
    The Reaper came today
    and Angel visited
    this gray path
    And took the cube away
  • B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dsc01067.jpg

Whoa! Where did you get the Stephen Colbert cardboard cutout? Now I want one really bad!

i got it when i worked for Borders. it was when his book came out, and we didn't have enough room to put up the cutout with the books. so i took it home!

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
  • disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This will be my first time going to PAX. Does anybody have any advice for a Newbie on how to survive the day??? One question in particular. Are there any places I won't be able to access given that I am in a wheelchair.

disabledgamerj2 on
  • GrapesodaGrapesoda Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dsc01067.jpg

I see your Stephen Colbert cutout, and raise you ARTHAS! THE LICH KING!!!!!!! (cutout)

fwrlfn.jpg

Grapesoda on
  • wiitifftiffwiitifftiff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    first time going to pax and dressing in cosplay. Any excuse to dress like a kick ass female video game character I'm in!

wiitifftiff on
  • karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Grapesoda wrote: »
    dsc01067.jpg

I see your Stephen Colbert cutout, and raise you ARTHAS! THE LICH KING!!!!!!! (cutout)
    fwrlfn.jpg

Stephen Colbert is much funnier than Arthas. Just sayin....

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    karmacappa wrote: »
    dsc01067.jpg

fwrlfn.jpg

Yeah, you could say Arthas tends to give people

*puts on sunglasses*

the cold shoulder.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

How to pack for Pacific Northwest end of summer/start of fall weather:
    Essentials:
    A hoody/something of similar insulation value.
    A light rain jacket. You don't have to get too crazy, just something water proof.
    You don't need galoshes, but sandals/flip flops are general not a great idea unless you're a local and used to the weather already.

Sudafed
    Dayquil
    Halls
    Ibuprofin
    Start popping something like Airborne a few days early

Every year we get a specific brand of crud up here. You won't be horribly sick, you'll just feel shitty if you catch it. That mix of meds will keep you functioning if you get it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Crom laughs at your four winds....

Wait wrong quote.

Pfffttttt.... meds.

Anyway, if I can pull 3 flu seasons working in a high volume ER and not get sick, PAX doesn't worry me.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Wait wrong quote.

Pfffttttt.... meds.

Anyway, if I can pull 3 flu seasons working in a high volume ER and not get sick, PAX doesn't worry me.

Yeah, PAX doesn't bother me at all, but I live in Ketchikan, Alaska and work on a passenger ferry so I'm pretty much immune to the crap that crops up. Seems that people these days have crappy immune systems though, so I figured a med list couldn't hurt.

I didn't earn the nickname Doctor TOGSolid last year for nothing. :lol:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • GrapesodaGrapesoda Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dsc01067.jpg

fwrlfn.jpg

Unless Colbert could make Arthas laugh to death...Arthas wins.

Grapesoda on
  • SaraidSaraid Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, going to have to disagree:

colbert4.jpg

Saraid on
    edited August 2010

I'm afraid that cardboard Arthas does not trump cardboard Colbert, unless you're at Blizzcon.

*double checks*

Nope, still not Blizzcon.

For these forums, you need cardboard Dudefella to trump cardboard Colbert.

karmacappa on
  • savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Wait wrong quote.

Pfffttttt.... meds.

Yeah, PAX doesn't bother me at all, but I live in Ketchikan, Alaska and work on a passenger ferry so I'm pretty much immune to the crap that crops up. Seems that people these days have crappy immune systems though, so I figured a med list couldn't hurt.

I didn't earn the nickname Doctor TOGSolid last year for nothing. :lol:

I have two 4 year olds in pre-school, if I can survive the bugs they bring home from their classmates, I'm not too worried.

but, just in case, is sudefed available w/o a prescription in Washington? (note: it requires a script here in oregon. Dern meth labs.)

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It looks like there will be a ton to explore. I'm in a wheelchair. could anyone tell me if there any areas I will not be able to access or what will be the high traffic areas so I can prepare myself.

disabledgamerj2 on
    edited August 2010
    From what I understand nothing should be inaccessible. We're going to work harder on learning where the escalators and ramps are, so you should be able to get help from any Enforcer.

Beyond that, I think all of PAX is a high traffic area, but none more so than the expo hall.

mspencer on
    edited August 2010
    It looks like there will be a ton to explore. I'm in a wheelchair. could anyone tell me if there any areas I will not be able to access or what will be the high traffic areas so I can prepare myself.

Speaking for people like myself at things like E3, considerate people will probably go out of their way to yield to a wheelchair. Standing a couple of feet closer to the TV or whatever you're looking at isn't worth making someone look at the back of your shirt.

karmacappa on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    savagehart wrote: »
    I have two 4 year olds in pre-school, if I can survive the bugs they bring home from their classmates, I'm not too worried.

but, just in case, is sudefed available w/o a prescription in Washington? (note: it requires a script here in oregon. Dern meth labs.)
    The "light" version is avaiable on store shelves. You can get the full thing without a prescription, you just have to go to the pharmacy counter, show them your ID and fill out your name (you can only purchase a certain amount each month).

Dreamwriter on
    edited August 2010
    There may be some inaccessible (or inconveniently accessible) areas in the expo hall - I seem to remember one company using an RV, for example, as their booth, that you had to step up and into, and I'm not sure if there was a ramp up onto the Rockband Beatles stage last year. But that's the exception to the rule.

Dreamwriter on
  • piinksharpiiepiinksharpiie Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Hello all.

I just had a question about the Magic tournaments going on. Do any of you know if you can bring your own decks, and if there is a regulation on them? Like a specific number of cards or if you have to have tournament legal decks (like only having the last 3 sets that just recently came out)?

Thanks!

piinksharpiie on
    edited August 2010
    Hello all.

I just had a question about the Magic tournaments going on. Do any of you know if you can bring your own decks, and if there is a regulation on them? Like a specific number of cards or if you have to have tournament legal decks (like only having the last 3 sets that just recently came out)?

Thanks!

You should really check the WotC schedule referred to by www.paxsite.com

It links up to this list:
    http://www.cascadegames.com/events/819

If you have any questions about these events, you'd have to talk to the people at Cascade Games.

karmacappa on
  • PascualPascual Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's my first PAX and have a few quest questions mostly about the panels.

.How early should I start queueing for panels? and should I get there extra early for the panels in the main theatre?

.Is it ok to be slightly late for panels/leave slightly early?

Can't wait :mrgreen:

Pascual on
  • savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    savagehart wrote: »

The "light" version is avaiable on store shelves. You can get the full thing without a prescription, you just have to go to the pharmacy counter, show them your ID and fill out your name (you can only purchase a certain amount each month).

AH, sounds like the same as California. I can work with that. Thanks!

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hello all.

Thanks!

You should really check the WotC schedule referred to by www.paxsite.com

It links up to this list:
    http://www.cascadegames.com/events/819

If you have any questions about these events, you'd have to talk to the people at Cascade Games.

All of the tournaments appear to be either Booster Drafts, where they will provide you with the packs for the cards, or Standard tournaments. (The one exception is the Archenemy event -- you'll have to ask Cascade Games what their specific requirements are for that one)

The current Standard format allows for cards from the following sets:

Shard of Alara, Conflux, Alara Reborn, Magic 2010, Zendikar, Worldwake, Rise of Eldrazi, Magic 2011

This will remain the format until October 1. At that point, Shards, Conflux, Alara Reborn and Magic 2010 will no longer be allowed, and Scars of Mirrodin will be added to the available sets. So consider PAX one of the last tournaments you'll have a chance to use cards from the Shards block in Standard tournaments.

Standard deck construction is: Minimum 60 cards, no more than 4 of any one card, and you can have a 15 card Sideboard.

Lackey on
  • DragoneaDragonea Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    This will be my first year at PAX and I am getting more excited with each day! I'll be there with my fiance and two close friends.

I don't have any questions right now, I just wanted to proclaim my excitedness! :D

Dragonea on
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pascual wrote: »
    It's my first PAX and have a few quest questions mostly about the panels.

.How early should I start queueing for panels? and should I get there extra early for the panels in the main theatre?

.Is it ok to be slightly late for panels/leave slightly early?

Can't wait :mrgreen:

It's been said elsewhere in this thread, but it bears repeating: If Mike (Gabe), Jerry (Tycho), Wil Wheaton, or Scott Kurtz is involved (or any combination thereof), you want to be in line at least an hour before the panel starts (and probably more). Those tend to fill up pretty quickly, and if you're not there early, you probably won't get a seat for the panel. The X-Play panel filled up last year, too, but I don't think you have to wait quite as long for those. The Star Wars panel in the main theatre will probably be well-attended this year, as well.

Outside of those, there will be lines for just about every panel, but most of them don't fill up and you can walk in whenever you like and leave whenever you like.

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • KnifeySpoonyKnifeySpoony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GFW and Giant Bomb filled up last year as well.

My advice is, if there's a panel you can't miss, set aside 45-60 minutes so you can get a seat/get in at all. :)

edit: Bigger panels, PA, main theatre stuff, etc. should be 60-90 minutes.

KnifeySpoony on
  • ZerhackermanZerhackerman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dragonea wrote: »
    This will be my first year at PAX and I am getting more excited with each day! I'll be there with my fiance and two close friends.

I don't have any questions right now, I just wanted to proclaim my excitedness! :D

Proclaim, declaim and quitclaim as you like dear. you are in good company :D

Zerhackerman on
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After seeing the convention map I was wondering, will there be stuff for me to spend money on?

The halls are full of companies that will be showing their latest and greatest, which is awesome. But will there be vendors selling junk I can load my vehicle up with?

Clix on
    edited August 2010
    There's a number of booths that sell stuff. First off the Penny Arcade merchandise - all their t-shirts and books and posters and stuff, plus they generally have some special Penny Arcade branded electronic device just for PAX, such as a Razer gaming mouse. Then Pink Gorilla is a regular - they sell vintage video games and systems. There's generally some booths selling anime posters and stuff, and Sweet Kitty has Japanese candy. And some D&D/boardgame selling booths. I read that a company is going to be selling a limited-edition Chun-Li tournament Street Fighter joystick at PAX.

Most of the show floor are game developers/publishers, but there are booths you can buy stuff at, spread around.

Dreamwriter on
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks. Hopefully I can find some vendors selling heroclix singles too. And Any word on any PAX exclusive merchandise?

Clix on
  • RaajTMRaajTM CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One last question from me, least I think.

Where exactly do I go for registration/obtaining the lanyard, final part for access? I'm sorry, it probably has been asked a billion times but I am trekking alone and I won't have a means of mobile internet (txt only) with me for on site help. I am just trying to be sure as I see a few places listed and there is a few places off site I don't want to be mixed up in by mistaking it for the line for registration.

I am having to take the monorail from the Seattle Center to Westlake Center and I am wondering if I'll be able to find my way quite easily to where I need to go, plus the registration site. I have just about every map I could find printed out to take with me and I've routed my walking plus monorail course, it is just that this stuff is on paper so hopefully I'll be able to notice things that are quite obvious when I get closer to the convention.

RaajTM on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One last question from me, least I think.

Where exactly do I go for registration/obtaining the lanyard, final part for access? I'm sorry, it probably has been asked a billion times but I am trekking alone and I won't have a means of mobile internet (txt only) with me for on site help. I am just trying to be sure as I see a few places listed and there is a few places off site I don't want to be mixed up in by mistaking it for the line for registration.

Do you have your badge already? If so, you're done with registration. You'll get your lanyard and con book at either of the lines at entry.
    I am having to take the monorail from the Seattle Center to Westlake Center and I am wondering if I'll be able to find my way quite easily to where I need to go, plus the registration site. I have just about every map I could find printed out to take with me and I've routed my walking plus monorail course, it is just that this stuff is on paper so hopefully I'll be able to notice things that are quite obvious when I get closer to the convention.

Westlake to the con center is a super easy walk. Like 4 blocks. The part of Seattle the con is in is pretty straightforward, you'd have a hard time getting lost.

SlickShughes on
This discussion has been closed.