As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Expendables - August 13th, In a Fucking Theater, Where Violence Belongs

• krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    krush wrote: »
    so, the general consensus seems to be that this flick kicks ass. Good, the hard part will now be getting the wife to go see it with me.

and a sequel??? Maybe they can talk JCVD into doing the sequel... And a cameo or a small part for Brian Dennehy would be great.

maybe even a few direct-to-video stars like Don Wilson, Phillip Rhee, or Billy Blanks as "red shirt" types that get killed early on.

Yeah but honestly it'd be kinda douchey to start ranking the cast in terms of popularity and dealing out screen time appropriately.

if that's the case, then Billy "Tae Bo" Blanks would prolly outlive everyone as would Don Wilson. Both of those dudes have been in a shitload of flicks and each of them actually have quite a following.

Oh... Bolo Yeung HAS to be in the next one... With JCVD making a side comment referring to Bloodsport.

krush on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    They should get Gina Carrano for the sequel.

You mean Crush from American Gladiators?

Whatever happened to that show anyways?

Godfather on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    They should get Gina Carrano for the sequel.

You mean Crush from American Gladiators?

Whatever happened to that show anyways?

It was canceled, probably cause it was too expensive to make.

I was so sad that day :(

So It Goes on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I saw this movie last night and Terry Crews and Statham are both goddamn awesome and need a buddy movie already

Warcry on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Crews should have starred in Hobo with a Shotgun

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    edited August 2010
    I just realized that this is the first movie i've even heard of where Crews isn't acting like a goof.

Godfather on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He's still pretty goofy.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just saw it and thought it was kind of boring. I really liked Statham, but other than his knife bits I thought the action scenes weren't particularly interesting.
    Badass basketball court fuck uppery was excellent though.

But jesus, what was up with that super long close up of Mickey Rourke? I was falling asleep.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I loved that bit. It was like, here's some acting, now back to the stabbing bits.

So It Goes on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have people who find the Mickey Rourke monologue to be out of place never actually seen First Blood? The one long moment of actual emoting giving depth to the action around it is kind of a hallmark of the genre.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Have people who find the Mickey Rourke monologue to be out of place never actually seen First Blood? The one long moment of actual emoting giving depth to the action around it is kind of a hallmark of the genre.

I didn't find it to be out of place. I just found it to be rambling and stupid. You can put those parts in action movies. They just have to make sense when you do them.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I could not stop looking at that damned lip. Is that a product of one of his many surgeries? Cause if not he needs to get it fixed.

SkannerJAT on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I liked this movie. Something that actually struck me about two thirds of the way through was, this was a really good vehicle for steve austin. Totally forgot it was him, until they started doing silly wrestling stuff during his fight with stallone.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Was good to see Stallone get his ass handed to him though.

SkannerJAT on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SkannerJAT wrote: »

Yeah I liked how they had Austin as an actual physical threat in the movie, really played him up as a villain.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2010
    I liked this movie. Something that actually struck me about two thirds of the way through was, this was a really good vehicle for steve austin. Totally forgot it was him, until they started doing silly wrestling stuff during his fight with stallone.

You try getting hit with a Stone Cold Stunner and see if you still think it's silly.

Godfather on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You try getting hit with a Stone Cold Stunner and see if you still think it's silly.

I so wanted to see him hit a stunner!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My man Tery Crews should've been a voice character for "Gears of War 3". The collaboration with him and the COOOOOLLLLLLEEEEE TRRRRRAAAAIIINNNN would've been EPIC!

Ticaldfjam on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Terry Crews is the best thing.

I need to see this.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://www.termlifeinsurance.org/expendables-body-count/

neat bit of data analysis. Can't believe Lundgren is so far ahead of the rest in body counts.

DanHibiki on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SkannerJAT wrote: »

I liked his matter-of-fact line about it.

"What happened to you?"

"I got my ass kicked."

-Loki- on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

neat bit of data analysis. Can't believe Lundgren is so far ahead of the rest in body counts.

If you subtract Sly, Dolph has killed more people than the rest of the crew combined.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

If you subtract Sly, Dolph has killed more people than the rest of the crew combined.

List is good, but where is Arnold?

Found a different list, and he still doesn't beat out Lundgren.

chamberlain on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's funny, because I didn't think lundgren fit that well in the movie, but that list kind of gives him credibility. I'd forgotten how many bad movies he's been in.

I think Sly should stop making these allegorical quasi-autobiography movies.

I also didn't like the way some of the action scenes were shot; particularly the one in the cellar cut around so much that it was next to impossible to figure out what was going on. Which maybe was the point, and it's not an issue unique to this movie or even one this movie did a particularly bad job with, but still.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I seem to recall that all the big hits of that fight were well framed and given proper length, so all the stuff that they wanted the audience to see was perfectly visible while all the unimportant stuff was chaotic.

Frankly there was so much stuff going on in that fight that it would have added a good 15 minutes if done as the older editing style.

And truthfully would have probably made the older cast members look silly.

DanHibiki on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought the movie was good enough, but honestly the A-Team was a much more enjoyable action flick.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought the movie was good enough, but honestly the A-Team was much more enjoyable action flick.

Yeah - it had much more inventive action scenes. Nothing in this movie even gets close to the falling tank scene, for example.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I so wanted to see him hit a stunner!

I would have lost my shit to see Stallone sell a Stone Cold Stunner

Psychotic One on
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought the movie was good enough, but honestly the A-Team was much more enjoyable action flick.

Yeah - it had much more inventive action scenes. Nothing in this movie even gets close to the falling tank scene, for example.

Terry Crews shotgunning an entire hallway of mooks. Checkmate

GaryO on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GaryO wrote: »

Terry Crews shotgunning an entire hallway of mooks. Checkmate

You surely haven't seen the tank scene then. Or the container scene. Not that particular scene wasn't awesome as well, mind you.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Bonus points for Austin since he broke Stallone's neck during that scene. Sly now has screws in his neck and shoulder because of that fight.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2010
    See, I thought the A-team stretched incredulity just a little too far. I would rather have moderately-ridiculous action scenes than totally-ridiculous ones.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Miss PellMiss Pell Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I saw this yesterday. It was ridiculous. But I enjoyed it.

It took every action cliche and threw them together to make an incredibly smart stupid movie. Also, the Mickey Rourke and Jet Li fans in me were thoroughly pleased, even though I wish Mickey Rourke would have killed someone at least once.

Miss Pell on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I realized I was a knife nut the second I recognized that Rourke pulled a Cold Steel Espada [large model I believe] from his boot. I want that knife so much. Like a pocket sword.

Psychotic One on
    edited August 2010
    I realized I was a knife nut the second I recognized that Rourke pulled a Cold Steel Espada [large model I believe] from his boot. I want that knife so much. Like a pocket sword.

ah, good! what was the knife that Dolph Lundgren used?

DanHibiki on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm just posting here to say the Mickey Rourke scene was a high point of the movie for me

Yougottawanna on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This movie was ridiculously hilarious.

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2010

ah, good! what was the knife that Dolph Lundgren used?

It was a custom bowie designed by a knife maker who I can not remember right now. When I get home I might be able to find it for you.

*edit*

Looks like it was a Gil Hibben custom. He also made the Expendables Toothpick (Stallones knife)

Psychotic One on
  • videobobbovideobobbo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    At the end of the Couture/Austin scene, when Austin is burning, I badly wanted Couture to say "You aren't Stone Cold anymore, huh?" Just thinking that had me cracking up, no matter how terrible it is. :D

videobobbo on