As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is a now Crusader Kings Thread [OP Updated re: CK2]

12346»

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The latest few beta batches increased base fertility.

Any illness curing events should be taken, avoid celibacy and I believe modesty if you have the chance, stress is bad, hunt down a lustful wife. If the problem is on your wife's end arrange for an "accident" and marry a 16 year old (I've had 70 year old kings father children).

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The latest few beta batches increased base fertility.

Any illness curing events should be taken, avoid celibacy and I believe modesty if you have the chance, stress is bad, hunt down a lustful wife. If the problem is on your wife's end arrange for an "accident" and marry a 16 year old (I've had 70 year old kings father children).

did that with my first ruler. Killed off his 46 year old wife and married a lovely 20 something. no kids. He was modest though, but also lustful. Wife was an average biddy. Bastard was born in this time frame. So his only heir ascends and marries a 16 year old when hes 20 or something. Hes in his 30's and still no children. I'll have to double check his and her stats. where can you check the fertility stat? i see it mentioned in game, but dont know where to see it.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2010
    Fertility is hidden. It's probably in the save file somewhere.

EDIT: Yeah, if you find your character in the mess that's the save file (in any text editor), there will be a fertility stat.

Alternately, you can cheat. Find your wife in self same editor:

impregnationdate = "YYYYMMDD"
    childs_father = { type = #### id = ###### }

Add that code with yourself as the father.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2010
    good info to know. not gonna cheat for now... im interested to see where this goes.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If I wanted to get into Paradox games which of the 4 is the best option for a complete noobie?

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
    edited August 2010
    EU3 is probably the easiest to understand.

enlightenedbum on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yep, EU3 would get my vote.

edit- EU3 still storta throws you in to the deep end of the pool, but unlike HoI, the pool is at least not filled with sharks.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited August 2010
    what happened with paradox and the new game engine? EU1 and 2 were classic. Looked amazing for 2D. The this ugly 3D monstrosity comes along. wtf.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    3D is the future!

...Even if it spends all its time rendering a big flat expanse.

President Rex on
    edited August 2010
    man this game is crazy.

Allied with the King of France and he pulled me into a bunch of wars. Some time later white peaces start popping up. But the King of Sicily landed about 20 thousand troops in dublin and steam rolled my piddly little army. I kept suing for peace and even offered to become their vassal, but he turned me down every time. After all but 1 province was under their control, the pope intervened and called for us to halt the war. it was a massive stroke of good luck.
    My ruler was labeled a kinslayer, and after some time he fell ill. Then someone put a knife in his back making him severly wounded. he finally died and his only legitimate son took over at the ripe old age of 7.
    Once my new ruler was of age i married him off to a lovely woman with massive stats. She was 16 and so was he. They were expecting a child after 1 month of marriage and 9 months later, she and the baby died in childbirth.
    Somehow i got some pagans in my court and the pope keeps getting pissed off, but they have huge stats and ive appointed them positions.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    El Mucho wrote: »
    If I wanted to get into Paradox games which of the 4 is the best option for a complete noobie?

EU III is probably the easiest to understand, although I've always had a love/hate relationship with it and its cheating ways. The AI cheats unashamedly, but it's kinda sporadic so if you don't run into it, it's great.

Crusader Kings is in my opinion the most fun, with the most varied roleplay aspect, as you follow the development of your own dynasty and the hijinks they get into. Also the combat in CK is most fair in my experience, as the AI doesn't seem to get the usual bullshit bonus +10 against player. It's actually feasible to succeed as a small nation.

Victoria 1 or 2 focus more on the economic and political angles, and as such get fairly complex. I haven't had much experience with them.

Hearts of Iron series is kinda in the same vein, except in the beginning of the 20th century. Nation-level politics, economics, research etc. Also, WARS.

I'd recommend Crusader Kings or EU III to start with. Personally I prefer Crusader Kings, but it also depends whether you prefer Middle ages or Renaissance+Enlightenment.

Rhan9 on
    edited August 2010
    how the hell do you avoid getting excommunicated? And how do you get unexcommunicated? my guys are always getting tossed out. damned irritating.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Probably try raising your Piety, but if you have enemies that are the Papal Controller, not much you can do except kill them.

Sir Carcass on
    edited August 2010
    Probably try raising your Piety, but if you have enemies that are the Papal Controller, not much you can do except kill them.

my ally is papal controller. piety is 4k. o_O

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do you keep attacking other good Christians? That would probably do it, too. What's your reputation?

Sir Carcass on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't be afraid to take the chaste trait. It's been pretty good for me when it comes around.
    Do not take celebacy. That's exactly what you don't want.
    There is an event regarding your wife where if she's your friend, you can get a couple of bonuses:

1.) remove illness
    2.) remove stress
    3.) Increase fertility +1

Endomatic on
    edited August 2010
    Do you keep attacking other good Christians? That would probably do it, too. What's your reputation?

honerable

im crusading away and snatching up muslim counties

I was messing around for a while and went to marry off my 16 yo son. I went to check the king of england, and noticed essex was owned by bohemia. Couldnt find the king anywhere near by. England was destroyed and now it was just a mish mash of dukes. I did find the king of england... he was on the west coast of spain. O_o

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2010
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to take the chaste trait. It's been pretty good for me when it comes around.
    Do not take celebacy. That's exactly what you don't want.
    There is an event regarding your wife where if she's your friend, you can get a couple of bonuses:

1.) remove illness
    2.) remove stress
    3.) Increase fertility +1

my king is 71. chaste. wife is 40. they are getting ready to have their 6th child. :?

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2010

honerable

I was messing around for a while and went to marry off my 16 yo son. I went to check the king of england, and noticed essex was owned by bohemia. Couldnt find the king anywhere near by. England was destroyed and now it was just a mish mash of dukes. I did find the king of england... he was on the west coast of spain. O_o

Welcome to CK.

enlightenedbum on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shit, I was once the king of Finland, with Jerusalem and Jaffa or whatever that province next to it is called in my demesne, after the papal state(which had moved to northern Sweden) conquered the few belongings I had in Finland. I was also an orthodox Frenchman called Louis or somesuch.

I don't even know.

Rhan9 on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

honerable

Yeah, I'm playing a game as Bohemia and was checking out Western Europe only to find that the King of France has his capital in London, while the King of England is currently based out of Holland. This game is so bizarre...I <3 it.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    how the hell do you avoid getting excommunicated? And how do you get unexcommunicated? my guys are always getting tossed out. damned irritating.

If the Pope tells you to do a thing (remove/convert pagans in your court, for instance) and you tell him to fuck off, odds are you just bought a one way ticket to excommunicationland.

Kane Red Robe on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love when a game I just became a fan of announces a sequel...thanks OP!

MindLib on
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Excommunication comes from several sources:
    - If the Pope requests you to do something and you don't, this may lead to Excommunication. (It is stated explicitly in the event choice)
    - If you carry the skeptic / heretic trait, Exommunication event becomes more likely.
    - If you have a bad reputation (high BB), you can become a target of Excommunication.
    - If your neighbor is the PC (Papal Controller) and you're gaining territories rapidly, he will see you as a threat and Excommunicate you.

What to do when Excommunicated:
    - Watch your vassals. Some will take this chance to break free.
    - Watch your neighbors. Being excommunicated makes it "cheap" for everyone to claim your titles.
    - Sit tight, and wait it out.
    - Save up money so you can afford to pay off the Pope when the event comes to repeal your excommunication (if it comes).

Pretty unlucky to get your ally Excommunicate you - expecially with such a high Piety. The best way to avoid Excommunication is to be the PC... which isn't always doable.

Reboot on
    edited August 2010

If the Pope tells you to do a thing (remove/convert pagans in your court, for instance) and you tell him to fuck off, odds are you just bought a one way ticket to excommunicationland.

which has been a pain in my butt. early on i let some Pagans into the court and its been a pain in my ass ever since. They have the best stats of all my meager court, but the pope keeps telling me to give them the boot. I do every time. Ive only killed a couple, converted one or two also.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • FakenJonesFakenJones Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Hey,

@President Rex
    @Sir Carcass

I just posted the valuable information you guys provided in the actual Paradox forums. And then realized that I never asked your permission to do so.

If you are OK with the posting, please let me know, either here, or on the Paradox forums.
    If you are not OK, and want me to change or delete the posting, I will do so gladly.

Thanks. Here's the link to the posting:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?505461-Crusader-Kings-A-Beginner-Tutorial-with-Pictures-(By-President-Rex)

FakenJones on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I have no problem with it. It was an awesome post by Rex and should be shared.

Any news on CK2?

Sir Carcass on
    edited October 2010
    Yep,

Theres some good discussion going on the forums. See Developer Comments on CK2 here

Also CK2 Dev Diaries have also started.

FakenJones on
    edited October 2010
    Yesssss. It looks like the earliest start date is about a month before the Battle of Hastings. I wonder if you can play as one of King Harold II's nobles and help fight off the invading Normans.

Edit: Ooh, and Barons will be in.

Sir Carcass on
    edited October 2010
    But can we but a Burggraf, lording over a meagre castle on the border?

...probably not because the provinces likely won't be small enough to show it.

Also I am fine with the posting on the forum. Apparently 100 people have seen it but no one has commented. Either it was too long-winded or so explicatory that no one has been able to say anything about it.

President Rex on
    edited October 2010
    I think they just all immediately loaded up CK and haven't stopped playing since.

Sir Carcass on
    edited October 2010
    @Pres Rex,

Your works already a sticky.

FakenJones on
  • FerrosolFerrosol Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    its the little stories that make this game so fun. (playing DV latest beta patch)

I am Jaume the king of Aragon and North Africa. Between us my dynasty the De Barcelona's and my fellow Christian monarchs of Castile/Leon/Portugal have completed the reconquista of the Iberian peninsula and my glorious and saintly father had extended the reconquista into North Africa. However the with the elimination of the Muslim threat the Castillan monarchy lead by Bernado the Great began to turn its eyes to the only non castilllan controlled lands in the Iberian peninsula, Aragon. Luckily before he could complete his plans for an invasion he suffered a horrific accident, I still do not understand how such a great man could accidentally stab himself in the back several times while shaving. (:P) Unfortunately his grandson Juan was but half the man his grandfather was and as king was forced to concede a great deal of power to the nobility. This sad decline lead Juan to go completely mad and as a wise and just king I felt it was my duty to step in and "protect" some of the lands of castille from their mad king. The nobility of this part of castille were so grateful that they agreed to join the Kingdom of Aragon spontaneously. Now with Juans sad death the young king Pedro faces a much weaker kingdom while my son Alfons will inherit the strongest kingdom in the Iberian peninsula.

Ferrosol on
    edited November 2010
    FakenJones wrote: »
    @Pres Rex,

Your works already a sticky.

Hey, first sticky thread...just happens to be in another forum. Now if only I had corrected that assortment of spelling and grammatical errors. Apparently I don't need to worry about bandwidth concerns since photobucket says there's not too much going out. Now the paradox forums say there's like 200 views but my account stats say the CK->HOI LP threads maps are being viewed more often (apparently 70-ish people are watching that LP).

At least it's helping people (hypothetically).

Ferrosol: now you just have to force Pedro's daughter to marry Alfons' son and then make sure some unfortunate accidents keep your son's son in line for the inheritance.

President Rex on
    edited November 2010
    Those 70 people should be posting more frequently.

enlightenedbum on
    edited November 2010
    I blame my ridiculously in-depth deconstruction of each region that no one wants to read...or makes people too intimidated to counter offer with alternative ideas.

...also it is Halloween weekend and everyone is getting drunk dressed as the knight from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

President Rex on
    edited November 2010
    Dev Diary 2 is out.

Sir Carcass on
    edited November 2011
    Hi there, old thread. So there's been a lot of dev diaries for Crusader Kings II since I last checked. See them here.

They've also apparently given a release date, February 7, 2012. That's really close!

Sir Carcass on