As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Enable UPnP for WRT54G

GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get mygold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
Hey guys,

I've set up all the port forwarding for my Xbox 360, unfortunately my internet connection is still listed as Moderate/Strict. I've restarted my modem/router, but my connection type is still listed as moderate. Microsoft recommends I enable UPnP, however I'm not sure that my router has that function. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G. If I do have UPnP, where can I find it on my router homepage? And if I don't, is there any way I can open up my NAT without this function?

Thanks!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
GoodKingJayIII on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Make sure you give your Xbox 360 a static IP address. Either through DHCP reservation in your router, or manually setting it in the dashboard. Without a static IP the forwarded ports won't work. If your router is like 192.168.1.1 set the Xbox to 192.168.1.5 (it just needs to be a number not in the DHCP range, which IIRC is 100 and up by default). Gateway is your router IP address.

As for UPnP it would probably be in one of the port forwarding pages. Check the Linksys site for a manual in PDF form for more details.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Your router most definitely supports UPnP. I recommend switching your firmware to a third-party firmware such as tomato or my personal favorite, DD-WRT. Your router is perfectly suited for the upgrade and you will have much less headaches. I have the same model of router, use DD-WRT, and use the Xbox 360 with it. I have not had an ounce of problems.

cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Make sure you give your Xbox 360 a static IP address. Either through DHCP reservation in your router, or manually setting it in the dashboard. Without a static IP the forwarded ports won't work. If your router is like 192.168.1.1 set the Xbox to 192.168.1.5 (it just needs to be a number not in the DHCP range, which IIRC is 100 and up by default). Gateway is your router IP address.

As for UPnP it would probably be in one of the port forwarding pages. Check the Linksys site for a manual in PDF form for more details.

I'll just point out that the WRT54G's stock firmware does not allow static DHCP, so he'll have to do it in the dashboard.
    Your router most definitely supports UPnP. I recommend switching your firmware to a third-party firmware such as tomato or my personal favorite, DD-WRT. Your router is perfectly suited for the upgrade and you will have much less headaches. I have the same model of router, use DD-WRT, and use the Xbox 360 with it. I have not had an ounce of problems.

Yeah, even DD-WRT micro (which is the only one that will run on post v5 WRT54G's...Tomato isn't happening) is a hell of a lot better than the stock firmware. Getting it on to a post v5 router can be a pain in the ass, though, so he might not be comfortable going that route. Still, worth looking into.

Still, I cannot imagine that the stock 54G firmware doesn't allow UPnP, so I think really this is more a matter of getting the crap enabled than anything.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In my experience, routers usually suck. They always say they support UPNP but they never really do. That's why all the routers I set up are WRT-54GL (Linux Edition) running Tomato. Beats every other router I have ever had including a $150 D-Link gaming router.

lilB on
  • Options
    OverOver ...laser cats? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    count me as another saying you should load DD-WRT onto your router. you'll get a lot more functionality out of it.

just make absolutely sure your router can handle it. check the model number right down to the last digit, including version numbers (v3, v5, etc). some WRT routers are "neutered" in terms on onboard memory, meaning they can't handle a lot of third party firmware.

if you don't really want to fool around with that, head over to PortForward. scroll down to the LinkSys section, find your exact model of 54G, and follow the guide listed for Xbox 360 Live. UPnP should be under the Admin tab if memory serves me.

Over on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's kind of sad how poorly most routers do their work given the amount of hardware they actually possess. One more vote for third party router firmware from me.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    johnorfordjohnorford Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Some do say that the WRT 54GL is the router to use with DD-WRT, since the software is Linux. Such is my invincible ignorance (I've never actually seen Linux) that I have to ask if this combination is for those hardy souls who use the Linux OS. Or can I use it with my dear old XP?

johnorford on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    johnorford wrote: »
    Some do say that the WRT 54GL is the router to use with DD-WRT, since the software is Linux. Such is my invincible ignorance (I've never actually seen Linux) that I have to ask if this combination is for those hardy souls who use the Linux OS. Or can I use it with my dear old XP?

You can use it with any computer. The OS on the router is basically transparent to the user, and in both the stock firmware or DD-WRT you still have the same old browser-based configuration.

Having access to a linux command line on it does let you do a few nifty things if you feel like it, but you never have to.

And the advantage of the 54GL for DD-WRT isn't so much the Linux thing, but the fact that it has double the storage space...so you can run the "full" install of DD-WRT, not the micro. Plus it's more stable.

Though I recommend Tomato over DD-WRT.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Goto your router config and you can find UPnP under Administration on the standard firmware, if you don't wanna fuck with it. (I honestly don't suggest it if you aren't familiar with network setup enough that you know what everything on the stock firmware is for)

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    johnorford wrote: »

Be sure not to use a wireless connection. Other than that, read and follow tutorials to the letter and you should be golden. A lot of the variations of that router can be reset to factory quite easily even if the corrupted installation of a 3rd party firmware bricks it.

edit: but as Uriel said, depending on your wants, it's possibly not worth the trouble if you've been happy with everything so far.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    johnorfordjohnorford Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Thank you McDermott, Uriel and Roland. When you say "wireless" Roland, do you mean from ISP to me or within the house? Wireless ISP is the only thing available here; inside the house we don't use wireless interconnection, just a lot of wire.

johnorford on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The connection from the computer to the router.

Roland_tHTG on