As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Okami Wii vs. PS2

TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okami and I have had a long, but interesting history, meaning that I have never played the game for a variety of circumstances. But recent events have persuaded me to rectify this situation once and for all!

I am curious in regards to the differences between the Wii and PS2 versions (I have both consoles). I don't care about which has the better boxart or whatever, I want to know about technical aspects of both games, how they control, etc. Which is the more enjoyable game? Does the waggle in the Wii version enhance the gameplay or detract from it? Does the Wii version run at a higher framerate? Stuff like this is what I want to hear.

TL;DR: Which version of Okami will give me the optimally beautiful and enjoyable experience?

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
Let's Plays of Japanese Games
TDawg on

• RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the Wii version is 16:9 and the PS2 version is 4:3 only.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's a toss up, really. I think the Wii version is lacking in the paper effect which was always onscreen on the PS2 version, but some would consider that an improvement - I mean come on, I know the game's not really drawn on paper, I don't need a texture applied to the screen at all times. It's still cel shaded and looks inky like it should, every other effect is present.

Brush drawing stuff works better most of the time because you're using an actual pointer. Fighting is arguably worse than in the original because you have to swing the remote to attack constantly.

Including the 16:9 option, just think about which of these things is most important to you.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've played both, and am pretty sure the paper effect is still there, but much less pronounced - and the Wii colours seem slightly more 'vivid' for some reason - although this could be down to the TVs they were played on.

The only other difference people haven't mentioned is that not only was the port done by Clover, but their credits have been totally excised from the game! It's just a prettied-up credit scroll FMV sequence that can be easily looked up on Youtube, but worth bearing in mind. Oh, and load times seem faster on the Wii, and saving is much faster.

Bioptic on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't play the PS2 version but I really really enjoyed the Wii controls. As long as you remember to press Z to draw a straight line instead of trying to freeform it, you'll be fine.

Taya on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I played the Wii version, combat is harder (you can't just attack as fast as you want, you need to get a rhythm down) but brush strokes feel easier so I found I simply abused brush strokes in battle more often is all.

I definitely prefer the visuals on the Wii though.

Sipex on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Having played both, the Wii version is nigh unplayable. You have to stop swinging for about a second between every single attack, or Ammy will just sit there doing nothing. It's nearly impossible to actually draw a straight line, which is one of the most basic and common attacks in the game.

For my money, the 16:9 and 480p improvements don't mean shit if I can't actually play the game.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hadn't played the PS2 version, but absolutely loved the one on Wii. It's unfortunate that Bionic ran into difficult; maybe it comes from having gotten used to the PS2 version first. Having the Wiimote makes the painting mechanics fluid and easy. And the cel-shading is a style that works well on the Wii.

BoomShake on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Having played both, the Wii version is nigh unplayable. You have to stop swinging for about a second between every single attack, or Ammy will just sit there doing nothing. It's nearly impossible to actually draw a straight line, which is one of the most basic and common attacks in the game.

For my money, the 16:9 and 480p improvements don't mean shit if I can't actually play the game.
    Press Z to draw a straight line. It works every time.

Taya on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Though I've never played it on the PS2, it's hands down my favorite game on the Wii

Xaquin on
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fighting on the Wii version question: does it basically work like Twilight Princess sword-waggle? Because I had no problem with that.

In general what I am hearing is that the version pretty much doesn't matter, as both are good, though. Thank you everyone!

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    TDawg wrote: »
    Fighting on the Wii version question: does it basically work like Twilight Princess sword-waggle? Because I had no problem with that.

Yes and no. The basic idea is the same; swing the wiimote and Ammy attacks on screen. Problem is, the remote has to be at a stand still at the beginning of every swing in order to initiate an attack, whereas in TP, you could continue swinging away to unleash successive attacks.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, like I said, you gotta work out a rhythm.

It really sucked at first and all I could think was "This sucks!" but once you get the hang of it you feel skillful and you can actually get an entire combo finished without stopping.

Sipex on