As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Garage door stopped working for remotes

mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Garage door opens from the button inside but will not open via remotes. The light blinks thrice and thats it.

ANyone have any ideas? theres nothing obstructing the sensors...

One would think that blink code means something....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
mojojoeo on

• strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm assuming that all remotes stopped working. Could be a problem with the receiving sensor, like it lost sync with the remotes. Do you have a brand/model of the system?

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Quantum 3214 opener.

all remotes at once. Haas been stormy lately... could that cause a need for reprogramming?

edit: reprogramming didn't work. Still just causes the unit to blink its lights

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know I read an article one time about some people who live3d near a military base that did a lot of testing on communication equipment. One day I guess they got the frequency just right and fried a shit load of peoples garage door openers. Maybe you live near a base or the lighting did the same thing I will try to find the article.
    In case I don’t the end result was that the gov said that they owned the frequency’s and the garage door manufactures were just allowed to use it so the owners were SOL.

vhannroy on
  • vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Needs new batteries?

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    according to a quick google search, 3 blinks means that the wall control is shorted.

are you sure it's 3?

make and age would help.

Dunadan019 on
    edited August 2010
    Sounds to me more like the circuitry inside the opener that is related to the remotes is borked. And if that's the case, you'd probably need a whole new control board.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Some garage door openers have a lock feature that can be turned on/off from the main opener button that resides near the man door in the garage. I had a client with the same problem. The lock was enabled, and it prevented the remote opener from operating the door.

It's actually a good idea to use this lock if you have it. I've heard of people breaking into cars and stealing registration and garage door openers. They come by like a week later, (with your address from the registration) and use your opener to get into your garage and clean you out. Basically, you'd turn the lock on when you park your car at night, and then turn it off again when you go to leave.

Anyways, long winded explanation. Hope this is all it is. Troubleshooting wiring is troublesome if there are no immediately visible problems.

Rderdall on
    steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://www.wayne-dalton.com/files/SpecSheets/Quantum%203214%20Specs.pdf

Thats the model and make. House was built in 03.

Ill check for a lock near the main button tonight. The wiring is.... troublesome at best. Can't know whats in the wall, but the wires to the infrared sensors is just twisted together with no wire nuts.

mojojoeo on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sometimes the locking method is something like "hold the garage door opener button down for 5 seconds, then press again 3 times within 10 seconds". Check your manual.

Reading the spec sheet, one of the features they list:
    "Radio controls with rolling access codes foil code-grabbers from gaining access to your home through the
    garage door. Every time you operate the door with the remote, the unit automatically chooses a new personal access code."

Could be that your system got reset by the power failure and you'll have to refer to your manual to resync the remotes.

Ruckus on
    edited August 2010
    So I unplugged it all day, and plugged back in upon getting home and it works.

Guess power kicked in the rolling code whats it and that was that. THX for the suggestions all!

mojojoeo on
    edited August 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    So I unplugged it all day, and plugged back in upon getting home and it works.

Guess power kicked in the rolling code whats it and that was that. THX for the suggestions all!

Ah, the good ole Raytheon Reset. Shoulda thought of that to begin with.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.