As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Expendables - August 13th, In a Fucking Theater, Where Violence Belongs

15678911»

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So for the sequel lets see here. We need Kurt Russell being a rival merc captain. Brock Lesnar as the muscle beating the hell out of Corture. Michelle Rodriguez cause we got to have at least one hard ass chick in the group. John Malcovich, Ron Pearlman, and Danny Trejo. And to round it out Michael Madison.

I also predict that every actor whose ever held a fake gun will have been in an Expendables movie by the third :P

Psychotic One on
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GaryO wrote: »
    I thought the movie was good enough, but honestly the A-Team was much more enjoyable action flick.

Yeah - it had much more inventive action scenes. Nothing in this movie even gets close to the falling tank scene, for example.

Terry Crews shotgunning an entire hallway of mooks. Checkmate

You surely haven't seen the tank scene then. Or the container scene. Not that particular scene wasn't awesome as well, mind you.

I have seen the tank scene and the container scene. The tank scene was literally the first thing I saw from the new A-team film. (thanks to it being in every advert for it). and both times ive seen Expendables the cinema erupted with everyone having a "holy shit" moment, when i saw the A-team everyone just sat there like it was nothing. I stand by my view that the shotgun hallway scene is better.

GaryO on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, just got back from watching the film and it was everything I wanted it to be. It even had what I took to be an Over the Top reference! Well, sorta
    Right at the end, when Stallone was powering up the plane for the flight back he pulled down the overhead accelerator. In other words, I guess I wanted an Over the Top reference?

The body count was right up there as well, probably near half the young male population I would guess

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I realized I was a knife nut the second I recognized that Rourke pulled a Cold Steel Espada [large model I believe] from his boot. I want that knife so much. Like a pocket sword.

ah, good! what was the knife that Dolph Lundgren used?

It was a custom bowie designed by a knife maker who I can not remember right now. When I get home I might be able to find it for you.

*edit*

Looks like it was a Gil Hibben custom. He also made the Expendables Toothpick (Stallones knife)
    god damn!
    that is some serious knife knowledge. Congratulations!

some googling later: http://www.hibbenknives.com/expendables.htm

DanHibiki on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This weekends box office numbers seem to be in:

1. The Expendables: $17 million ($65.6 million total)
    2. Vampires Suck: $12.5 million
    3. Lottery Ticket: $11.4 million
    4. Eat Pray Love: $12 million ($47.1 million total)
    5. Piranha 3D : $10 million
    6. The Other Guys: $10 million ($88.1 million total)
    7. Nanny McPhee Returns: $8.3 million
    8. The Switch: $8.1 million
    9. Inception: $8.2 million ($262.2 million total)
    10. Scott Piligram vs the World: $5 million ($20.5 million total)

Thomamelas on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh, god, vampires suck made how much

Nuzak on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »

This is why we can't have nice things.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

That's what I was thinking.

People continue to make me lose faith in people.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

because.. you know... everyone's fuck-all tired of angsty vampire movies.

krush on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    krush wrote: »

God I hope that is true. If we could go a couple of years without a new vampire film or tv series I'd be pretty happy. Or any kind of undead.

How about something new, say a relaunch of Perfect Strangers or Full House
    :P

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

God I hope that is true. If we could go a couple of years without a new vampire film or tv series I'd be pretty happy. Or any kind of undead.

How about something new, say a relaunch of Perfect Strangers or Full House
    :P

I'm pretty burned out on undead/biozombies myself. I really don't think I could tolerate yet another flick about some form of zombie running like a crazed Usain Bolt towards the main characters.

yeah... give it about 10 years on the whole zombie thing.

krush on
  • myownsummermyownsummer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe if movies weren't 14 fucking dollars in Los Angeles I'd go see more of them in the theatre.

myownsummer on
    rosievp6.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I've heard fairly good things about the current/working script for the World War Z movie that's supposed to be in pre-production (at least, as of mid last year).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Forar wrote: »

I've heard fairly good things about the current/working script for the World War Z movie that's supposed to be in pre-production (at least, as of mid last year).

I've heard "the Shambling dead"? on AMC is supposed to be pretty good when it starts in october. (unsure of the actualy name of the show, think thats it. Based on a book)

Tommatt on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Walking Dead.

And yes, it is excellent.

Kelor on
    edited August 2010
    Kelor wrote: »
    The Walking Dead.

And yes, it is excellent.

Unfortunately DirectTV I can't set it to record already. Hoping I remember when I can set the series to record with out missing 3-4 episodes.

Tommatt on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So for the sequel lets see here. We need Kurt Russell being a rival merc captain. Brock Lesnar as the muscle beating the hell out of Corture. Michelle Rodriguez cause we got to have at least one hard ass chick in the group. John Malcovich, Ron Pearlman, and Danny Trejo. And to round it out Michael Madison.

I also predict that every actor whose ever held a fake gun will have been in an Expendables movie by the third :P

This was discussed in the SE++ thread, but the feeling there was that the sequel should feature Arnold's team (Arnold after an HGH cycle, Bill Duke, Michael Biehn, and the guy who played Billy in Predator) against Sly's team. And maybe throw the Rock in there as well.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2010
    is Bill Duke still in government?

Also the Arnold team should have Tony Jaa on heroin locked in a metal crate so that they could toss him at Jet Li.

DanHibiki on
    edited August 2010

This was discussed in the SE++ thread, but the feeling there was that the sequel should feature Arnold's team (Arnold after an HGH cycle, Bill Duke, Michael Biehn, and the guy who played Billy in Predator) against Sly's team. And maybe throw the Rock in there as well.

Arnolds team would be bad ass. Is there anybody from the original predator thats not alive? I mean, you know they're gonna lose, they're all bad asses, just get that whole team! The Indian can die to couture, apollo has to die to sly, and jessie ventura... damnit can stone cold switch sides or did he die? I don't remember. I was too busy orgamisiming in my pants from all the awesome violence!

Tommatt on
    edited August 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »

Arnolds team would be bad ass. Is there anybody from the original predator thats not alive? I mean, you know they're gonna lose, they're all bad asses, just get that whole team! The Indian can die to couture, apollo has to die to sly, and jessie ventura... damnit can stone cold switch sides or did he die? I don't remember. I was too busy orgamisiming in my pants from all the awesome violence!

Even if they aim for the old team, they should replace Richard Chaves with Adrien Brody.

DanHibiki on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    is Bill Duke still in government?

Also the Arnold team should have Tony Jaa on heroin locked in a metal crate so that they could toss him at Jet Li.

I would pay serious money to see this.

chamberlain on
  • DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Arnolds team would be bad ass. Is there anybody from the original predator thats not alive? I mean, you know they're gonna lose, they're all bad asses, just get that whole team! The Indian can die to couture, apollo has to die to Drago, and jessie ventura... damnit can stone cold switch sides or did he die? I don't remember. I was too busy orgamisiming in my pants from all the awesome violence!

I made that better for you.

Fake edit: The reverse might work better.

DarkDragoon on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Arnolds team would be bad ass. Is there anybody from the original predator thats not alive? I mean, you know they're gonna lose, they're all bad asses, just get that whole team! The Indian can die to couture, apollo has to die to Drago, and jessie ventura... damnit can stone cold switch sides or did he die? I don't remember. I was too busy orgamisiming in my pants from all the awesome violence!

I made that better for you.

Fake edit: The reverse might work better.

I think if they manage to pull that off you've got to let Apollo get his revenge on Drago. And make Dolph die for real this time.

Magell on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You go the FULL SWITCHEROO: Apollo kills Drago, then Rocky has to avenge Drago - and loses.

And find a way to get Clubber Lang and Thunderlips in there too.

Yougottawanna on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Throw in Mr. T and you got a movie!

Psychotic One on
  • Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The problem with something like this is that you end up with some great guys wasted in shitty roles.

I thought that The Expendables could have been much better. The plot wasn't that great, the blood effects were sub-par, there was some bad dialogue, I didn't think that some of the jokes were as funny as others did, Statham managed to make me bored of throwing knives.

I liked Rambo IV better. It was still worth seeing but I didn't think it was great.
    When Stone Cold was interrogating Stallone I was begging for him to answer, "What?"

Cedar Brown on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I loved the Expendables, but it did fail to meet my expectations. I think that has a lot to do with how high the expectations were in the first place though. Simply put, there was no way to not get pumped about this movie. That said, I still found it to be pretty enjoyable. I even liked the Mickey Rourke monologue. A lot.

I'm stoked to hear that they're working on a sequel though, because I think they've probably learned a lot from this film and I'm excited to see what they can do next.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    edited August 2010
    When Stone Cold was interrogating Stallone I was begging for him to answer, "What?"

I kept thinking of this scene:

DanHibiki on
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey, so I finally saw this movie. I went in with low expectations and ended up enjoying it despite its obvious shortcomings.

One question:

You know that scene where Dolph Lundgren is driving after Sylvester Stalone and Jet Li, and some weird old guy is sitting next to him going all like, "Don't lose your nerve!!" and then hes all like, "Don't talk to me maggot!".

I sort of got the impression that was all in Dolph Lundgren's head and he wasn't really there... or was it really just some weird old guy henchman sent to make sure Lundgren didn't mess up the hit?

Dangerbird on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

:lol:

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Hey, so I finally saw this movie. I went in with low expectations and ended up enjoying it despite its obvious shortcomings.

One question:

You know that scene where Dolph Lundgren is driving after Sylvester Stalone and Jet Li, and some weird old guy is sitting next to him going all like, "Don't lose your nerve!!" and then hes all like, "Don't talk to me maggot!".

I sort of got the impression that was all in Dolph Lundgren's head and he wasn't really there... or was it really just some weird old guy henchman sent to make sure Lundgren didn't mess up the hit?

I think you're overthinking the movie.

It was just some old henchman having a go at him.

-Loki- on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dolph was supposed to be on drugs, so that was a random thug sent to keep an eye on him. I think he even says something like that, a few different times.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ohhh ok... I thought Dolph's character was really off his rocker.

I love it when I go into a movie with the lowest of low expectations and end up being pleasantly surprised. Its way better than being super excited for a movie, then being disappointed.

-edit-

Same thing happened for the A-Team movie. I thought it was going to suck big time, but grudgingly went because my little cousin wanted to see it.

Dangerbird on
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Watched it tonight. It was awesome. I went in thinking "oh this is going to be fucktons of mindless action with silly one-liners and then some more action" and I WAS RIGHT! Loved it.

Terry Crews and his repeater-shotgun was hilarious. The entire theatre laughed and cheered.

Julius on
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70I0vTwYxg

I'll just leave this here

edit: Also there's this from handsomest man in the universe Bruce Campbell
    Io9 wrote:
    Cult icon Bruce Campbell says he's working on a sequel to My Name is Bruce, in which he hopes to gather up all the horror legends of the last thirty years in much the same way Sylvester Stallone did with action stars in The Expendables. He admits it's difficult finding time between filming Burning Notice seasons, and the script they've got right now isn't very good, but he's hopefully he can get the likes of Robert Englund and Kane Hodder involved. He even has ideas for their characters:
    I want to give them other stuff to do. I want to have Kane Hodder be very particular about what he eats. I want Robert Englund to be a tough guy, like he knows tae kwon do or something. I want to find out the hidden sides of all these people. Some will play themselves, some will play alternate characters as well. I may approach Kane Hodder to play Frankenstein. He could be Kane Hodder himself fighting himself as Frankenstein. It could be crazy.

DanHibiki on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate Norton with a passion and I refuse to like that advertisement because I know what will come of it.

Warcry on