As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me figure out Madden

TheNomadicCircleTheNomadicCircle Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
A couple of cousins of mine are planning to play this during a party at their house. Its going to be 4 players so I think teams of two. I haven't played any Madden at all so this will be the first time I'm playing it on the PS3. Its Madden 11 btw.

I don't particularly follow football, I watch when my brother is watching and we support the Chicargo Bears. All I know is their quarterback is J. Cutler and that’s about it. I know the basics of the game but in-depth strategies and players I do not.

So what tips can you give someone who will play both an offensive and defensive roll? Any tips I can use to make me a better player? Well, not better but decent enough not to be regarded as a liability or appear ignorant. What do you choose most of the time and do teams matter? (I will also assume that my brother and I will play as the bears.)

TheNomadicCircle on

• VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure studies have shown that Madden play ability is directly related to beer intake, with cheaper beers benefiting the most.

So my game plan would be 3 Pabst before kick off, so you can get that 100 yard return touch down. 2 Miller lites for second quarter to keep you in the game.

Half time is tough, if you're winning, maybe some High Life, if you're down I'd say go with Corona.

By the time its all over, if you're lucky, you'll not have remembered playing a Madden game at all.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, serious post:

If you know nothing about football, I hope your partner is calling plays, or you use the Madden Suggestion feature, or you're going to get killed. If the people you are playing against call a power run off tackle, and you decide "Hey, lets play two man over, safeties deep"...you're going to get gashed for 15 yards a play.

I hope either a) the people you are playing against are terrible and don't know anything about football, or b) they let you use the "Madden, Help Me" feature.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tips Incoming:

Always choose your offensive play. I tend to Open Playbook -> By Play Type and from there I choose running or passing and go from there.

NEVER use the Quick Call feature on offense, it's pretty terrible. Defense you can use it, that's fine.

I have found that running is the best, half back dives up the middle are awesome. You can control your runner really well now due to their locomotion engine, it really does make a difference.

Passing is hard. I've found recievers break off their routes, QB's throw at really odd places on the route. The best choice I've found is Pass->Quick Pass -> Slants. Take three steps back then drill it to your hot route reciever. Typically he'll dive and grab it. I'd say my QB has a 90% completion on that throw.

Players are FAST in this game, they got that right. But that means if you throw a long lofty pass, chances are a defender will have time to get in there and break up the play. This also means sweep plays (like in the NFL) suck, and u should avoid that.

DrunkMc on
  • tralevtralev Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    General
    You will have fake play diagrams and your real play you can choose from (so your opponent doesn't know which play you're doing). It takes some practice to shoot through them and pay attention to the real one.

Offense:
    Passing can be hard and takes some good multi-tasking. I usually pick out a primary receiver and a secondary receiver. If the one guy looks over I hit the other one. It's really hard to pay attention to the whole field.

Running, hit your holes and don't be afraid to try different uses of the right analog stick to break tackles.

Defense: Pick a guy on the line who is rushing the passer to control. Do not use one of the guys who is covering a receiver or you will get burned. You can also just hold down the defensive assist button (X) and the computer will help you there.

tralev on
    Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On offense:

It will either be a pass play or a run play. If it's a pass play, the computer will run the pattern far, far better than you will, so after selecting your player, don't touch anything until you've caught the ball. Then you can run around and try to get more yards.

If it's a run play, then don't touch anything until you've been given the ball. Then, follow the play. Madden will actually show you what you're supposed to do - like, run forward between this guy here and that guy there. Usually, sticking with the play will get you better results than trying something off-the-cuff, but sometimes that can work, too. Look for gaps to form as your offensive line pushes around the defensive line, and run at them.

On defense:

Never pick a lineman as your player. They're boring. Instead, pick a safety (SS or FS) or a corner (CB) or a linebacker (OLB, MLB, ILB). Again, before the snap you can choose an option that'll show you what you're supposed to do. If you're covering a receiver (the tight end, the halfback, or a wide receiver) or you're in zone coverage (your player shows a line to a region of the field marked out with a big, shaded circle), don't touch anything. The computer is better at running the pattern than you will be.

If, instead, you're blitzing, then you get to have fun. Try to sack the QB by avoiding the offensive line, the tight end, and any blocking backs.

The teams matter, but recent football iterations allow you to select "Equal Teams," which basically makes both of the teams more-or-less equal, with the only difference being in their playbooks. This is the easiest way (apart from mirror matches) to make a balanced game.

How well do you understand about football basics, like whether and why to choose a running play or a pass play?

Elvenshae on
    edited August 2010
    I guess this is being played at a party for fun, so defensive assist will actually be one: As was suggested, use it.

When I play, we play with no assists...but my group of friends and I are all football freaks, and we've played madden for years. I actually can cover a receiver by hand (sometimes), though I tend to enjoy controlling safeties more than corners. More freedom to roam and make plays.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    On defense:

Never pick a lineman as your player. They're boring. Instead, pick a safety (SS or FS) or a corner (CB) or a linebacker (OLB, MLB, ILB).

I disagree with this, infact I 100% of the time pick a line man. I seem to be FAR better at wiggling off the defender and rushing the QB then the computer.

I can also keep my eye on the running back and make a play on a HB delay, so much fun!

I've found going safety or corner, I tend to over run my targets or flick the stick too early and my guy trips over his own feet. This may be just my style, but I love playing the line!

DrunkMc on
    edited August 2010
    If you are new to madden, by all means, pick a lineman, defensive end is a good choice. It's much easier for a new player to just jam the stick forward, hit a couple technique buttons (swim move, spin move, bull rush, etc), and have a good time.

GnomeTank on
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    How well do you understand about football basics, like whether and why to choose a running play or a pass play?

Well, I understand that the QB throws the ball and the receiver or some other player who's position I forget catches it and either takes to to the required yardage or touchdowns. Choosing plays or tatics for football is lost on me. I try to understand why they can't just throw the ball always and why they always try to play the tatic of rushing from the middle when they know they will get stopped. However from my countless playing of the Total War series and other strategic games I know the concept of flanking and rushing etc. Would that help?

Edit:

Yes, its for fun I think, but they have played Madden before so its not a bunch of new people, but I would say normal experience?

The easiest way to explain why they pick plays is: situation, and defensive alignment. If you're 2nd down, with three yards to go, a running play is a great idea. High chance of success, low chance of something terrible (like an interception) happening. Plus there are all kinds of "footbalisms" with running the ball, like the physicality of it, it gets in the defenses head to be run on, etc.

The other part is defensive alignment. This is where quarterback audibles tend to come in. If the quarterback sees a strong rush defense alignment, but knows a power run is the call, he may audible to say, a hook route, to catch an over aggressive defense off guard. The inverse can be true as well. Quarterback sees a strong pass defense alignment, and decides to audible to a run.

GnomeTank on
    edited August 2010
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    On defense:

Never pick a lineman as your player. They're boring. Instead, pick a safety (SS or FS) or a corner (CB) or a linebacker (OLB, MLB, ILB).

I disagree with this, infact I 100% of the time pick a line man. I seem to be FAR better at wiggling off the defender and rushing the QB then the computer.

Yes, but I suspect you've been playing for awhile. :) Effective blitzing as a lineman takes practice, which the OP won't have time to develop.
    I can also keep my eye on the running back and make a play on a HB delay, so much fun!

For that kind of stuff, I think a linebacker selection works better.

But, hey, OP - try out a lineman to see if you like it. You can switch who you're controlling every play, and even within a play, so flip around until you find someone you like. :D

Elvenshae on
  • TylanthusTylanthus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Passing tip: Know your options and what order to check them in. Typically waiting for a WR to get open is a bad idea. Check your #1 and then #2 options, then dump it down to a RB or just throw the ball away (or run if you've got a capable QB).

Tylanthus on
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Well, I understand that the QB throws the ball and the receiver or some other player who's position I forget catches it and either takes to to the required yardage or touchdowns. Choosing plays or tatics for football is lost on me. I try to understand why they can't just throw the ball always and why they always try to play the tatic of rushing from the middle when they know they will get stopped. However from my countless playing of the Total War series and other strategic games I know the concept of flanking and rushing etc. Would that help?

Edit:

Yes, its for fun I think, but they have played Madden before so its not a bunch of new people, but I would say normal experience?

GT's got some good advice on this, to which I'll add:

Passes are high-risk, high-reward. Anytime you lose control of the ball, there's a chance of something going horribly wrong (like an interception or a sack or a miscue or something).

Runs are low-risk, low-reward. Handoffs are typically easy to do, so there's less chances of something going horribly wrong. You see a lot fewer 10-yard runs than you do 10-yard passes, but a well-called running play is almost always a guarantee of 2 or 3 yards.

The reason that you don't see offenses do one or the other exclusively is to keep the defense "honest." If, everytime you hike the ball, I know you're going to throw it, then I'll just sit back and call great pass-defenses all day and make it really hard for you to actually complete a pass. If, instead, I don't know if you're going to call a pass or a run, then I have to keep part of my defense looking to stop a run, which limits the amount of people I can have stopping a pass.

So, every now and then, primarily pass offenses will try a run, and primarily run offenses will try a pass. Since the defense isn't looking for it, the chances of it working well are higher, and it reminds the defensive coordinator that you know how to do it, and so the defense will have to adjust.

If, in Medieval 2 Total War, you only ever attacked me with hordes of archers, I could build nothing but heavy cavalry and totally wreck your stuff in every battle. If, instead, you went with a more balanced approach with some spearman companies to keep my all-cavalry, all-the-time defense from overrunning your attacks, I would have to counter by including some infantry of my own, which your archers are stronger against. Etc.

Elvenshae on
    edited August 2010
    Thats a really cool feature that you can switch players. I may try that, if I don't mess it up :D

On a related note, like Fifa (which I've played somewhat and am fairly decent in it), can I take a QB and make him touchdown? Like where I take a goalkeeper and make him score (on winning eleven 8, you can do it easily).

Yep - in fact, depending on the team you're playing, you might have a bunch of plays which are specifically designed for the quarterback to keep the ball and run with it.

In college football, this is exemplified by Navy, who over the past couple years have perfected* the "Triple Option Offense." Basically, on any given run, the QB has the option to:

1. Hand the ball off to the fullback, who will run right up the middle, or
    2. Hold on to the ball and run to the side before running up the field, or
    3. Toss the ball to the running (half) back who will run to the side before running up the field, and then block for him.

Option offenses aren't as prevalent in the pros, but a good quarterback sneak is often a good way to get a couple sneaky yards.

* Or, at least, used extensively. :)

Elvenshae on
    edited August 2010
    Also, depending on the team your opponents pick, you may see the defensive move around, a lot, pre-snap. This is them disguising their alignment. It takes real NFL players years sometimes to understand how defenses are doing their disguises, so really while you're learning, I wouldn't ever try and read the defense and audible against it. If you call a run, just run the run, and hope they were in a pass defense, or hope that you get good with the playmaker buttons.

GnomeTank on
    edited August 2010
    Not really. I mean, I could tell you what kind of defense and offense the bears play, but I don't think it would really help you at all. Plus I am pretty sure the bears got a new offense this year, as Mike Martz is their offensive coordinator.

GnomeTank on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    On defense:

I've found going safety or corner, I tend to over run my targets or flick the stick too early and my guy trips over his own feet. This may be just my style, but I love playing the line!
    :^: I generally prefer a lineman as well. Partially because I tend to play as the Colts, so hello Dwight Freeney. Partially because if I play as a d-back my team's pretty screwed because I'm gonna blow the coverage in some fashion or another.

[ed] heehee, specific strategy for the Bears: try to stop Cutler from throwing it to the other team so that the defense can catch their breath.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited August 2010
    Hehe, yah. I can't wait to watch the train wreck that is Chicago' offense this year. Interception prone quarterback + Mike Martz's offense = disaster.

People seem to forget, the last time Martz's offense really soared, he had Kurt Warner, Mr. Accurate, as his quarterback. Manning or Brady could probably run Martz's offense without it being a train wreck, I don't think Cutler has a hope or a prayer.

GnomeTank on