As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2010 BYOC Info/FAQ - REG CLOSED

• Options
    FellinaFellina Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did the barcode make it into my spam folder this year, or has it not gone out yet?

Also, do I understand correctly that we'll be able to pick up our BYOC badges on Thursday (at will-call) and just do our equipment check-in on Friday morn?

Fellina on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They likely have not gone out yet. I will ask on the conference call tomorrow when they will be going out.

Yes you can pick up your BYOC badge on thursday at registration (or you can get it friday @ BYOC itself). Bring your BYOC barcode printout to get it whenever those are emailed out anyway.
    BYOC checkin starts on Friday @ 8am

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm having trouble finding info on registration on Thursday. What are the hours for it?

I'm coming in on the West Coast train, so I'm concerned that all the vacant slots will be taken by the time I arrive in Seattle. I'm guessing I already know the answer to this, but is there a way that a friend of mine can get a BYOC pass for me before I show up, or do I have to do it in person?

Thanks for answering all my pesky questions, BigRed!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes he could purchase a pass for you. Reg on Thursday is like... noon to 10pm or somesuch, not sure on the exact hours.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    PAX Prime 2010 BYOC - My little Pwny

So we are making info flyers for this to hand out to you guys in the BYOC line on Friday morning.

The quoted section is basically the flyer text.
    The Details!

In this contest, 50 people are chosen out of a raffle and they are given one pony, and they must stay with you at all times or there will be consequences! Over the weekend of PAX, these ponies need to be decorated! Supplies will be provided. At the end of PAX, all of the ponies will be going through a peer and panel judging process until a winner is chosen!

Sunday morning there will be a peer review. All of BYOC will vote on every pony to narrow down the top 10. You don’t have to be there for the review, it is the only time you can be without your pony (although, you’ll get more votes if you pitch your pony to the crowd).

Sunday afternoon there will be a pony pitch-off! The top 10 people will pitch their ponies to a panel of judges (with possible special guests) why your pony is the prettiest pony in all the land. Score is based on 60% pony and 40% presentation.

The Rules!
    • You must have your pony at all times!
    • No stealing ponies!
    • If you find someone else’s pony, you must make an honest effort in finding the owner. Otherwise, return it to the security desk, and there may be a prize.
    • If you lose your pony and we recover it, you get a strike and we’ll make you get on the mic to all of BYOC to give a sob story and ask for your pony back.
    • Three strikes and you get a penalty! This can be anything, such as score reduction during judging.
    • You must decorate your pony! Supplies are provided. You can also bring some of your own if you like.

Since we are dealing with PAX being spread out this year... I will be announcing the raffle winners (who get to enter the contest) on PAX_BYOC twitter.
    Starting around noon on Friday I will be drawing names to see who gets to have a pwny and be in the contest. Any numbers that aren't claimed after I say them over the mic will be broadcasted on twitter. You have 10min after that to reply back to PAX_BYOC. If you reply I will hold your pony for you for 30min.

Also When you get drawn to be in the pony contest I will be taking mugshots of you with your pony which will go on the BYOC intranet site. This is to serve as the Before picture and so all the other BYOC attendees know who to keep an eye out for to make sure they have their pony with them ;)

Questions/comments/suggestions?

BigRed on
  • Options
    SykoraSykora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MUST... GET... PONY!!!1 D:

Ok, I have a question again: What would the benefit of registering on Thursday be? It'd mean an hour plus trip for me, so I just wanna be sure about what it's for.

Sykora on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sykora wrote: »

Ok, I have a question again: What would the benefit of registering on Thursday be? It'd mean an hour plus trip for me, so I just wanna be sure about what it's for.

If you dont pick up your BYOC badge on thursday...

Then on friday you get to wait in a line to get your BYOC badge before you get to wait in the BYOC line.

So if you want to avoid a double line....

Plus it makes my life easier :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

Then on friday you get to wait in a line to get your BYOC badge before you get to wait in the BYOC line.

How late can I pickup my BYOC badge on Thursday? I'm sure it's been said somewhere in the forums, but i'm on my mobile and near the end of my august data cap. Thanks!

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    I believe will call's open until midnight on Thursday.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    savagehart wrote: »

How late can I pickup my BYOC badge on Thursday? I'm sure it's been said somewhere in the forums, but i'm on my mobile and near the end of my august data cap. Thanks!

We will certainly leave before reg closes cause I don't want to be there that late. Thursday means we will have been onsite for 3days. Goign to try and take thursday evening off before the craziness starts.

BYOC BADGE PICKUP HOURS @ REG = THURSDAY ONLY 10am-9pm
    If you cant get it in that window then you will have to get it day of pax up by BYOC.

BigRed on
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I already know the answer to this, but just wanted to verify.

I work downtown and plan on grabbing my badge on my lunch break Thursday. I cannot pick up badges for my friends that do not work downtown even if they give me their barcodes correct?

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Correct. Only that person can pick up their badge.

BigRed on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So is it kosher if I get my bro a pass and we just hot seat one computer?

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Rob SpewackRob Spewack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any chance of a consolidated info post on the LAN? I'm not particularly keen on having to go through all 12 pages to figure out what is going on, especially with regards to making sure I'm getting my barcode (as in, when will they be here? My spam folder is a dark, forboding place), where/when to go to register, whether Thursday is the day for wristbands, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Spewack on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2010
    We're working on an emailer to go out to byoc attendees as we speak. It should have all the info you'll need.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

You both will need a pass.

BigRed on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You both will need a pass.

I already have one, but I just wanted to make sure it was ok before I bothered trying to get another one for him.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    screaminglemonscreaminglemon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In BYOC this year, we will have a video/audio stream from the main theater at Benaroya.
    There will be a couple projectors throwing up Concert main theater content and audio will be over ventrilo.

So unless you really want to see stuff in person, you could just hang out in BYOC to view the concerts.

Will the panels at Benaroya be streaming as well, or is this just for the concerts? Either way, its totally awesome.

screaminglemon on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Attemtion Everybody

Whatever the error was with the pax_questions@paxsite.com e-mail address, it has been fixed. So those of you with ticket receiving issues, e-mail away.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    In BYOC this year, we will have a video/audio stream from the main theater at Benaroya.
    There will be a couple projectors throwing up Concert main theater content and audio will be over ventrilo.

So unless you really want to see stuff in person, you could just hang out in BYOC to view the concerts.

Will the panels at Benaroya be streaming as well, or is this just for the concerts? Either way, its totally awesome.

Right now its just the concerts. We might get some panels but its unknown. Ask me day of and I should have a better answer for you then.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We're working on an emailer to go out to byoc attendees as we speak. It should have all the info you'll need.

Any update on this? I haven't received any BYOC emails.

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Because they haven't gone out yet. I know the barcodes are geared to go out sometime after friday, ill confirm though. The general info email theres no ETA for. Sometime before PAX (to try and have the most up to date stuff as possible).

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Because they haven't gone out yet. I know the barcodes are geared to go out sometime after friday, ill confirm though. The general info email theres no ETA for. Sometime before PAX (to try and have the most up to date stuff as possible).

Just to clarify, you mean THIS Friday, right? Not the Friday of PAX.

savagehart on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yes :P They wouldn't be of much use if they went out the day PAX starts.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yes :P They wouldn't be of much use if they went out the day PAX starts.

Hey, I didn't want to assume. ;)

savagehart on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Badge question: I bought 2 badges under my name. I'm not sure which one of my friends will be taking the second one yet. So I was just going to pick up both badges on Thursday and then hand one of them off to my friend... is this ok?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The person that purchased the badges has to be the one that picks them up. So yes you can give your 2nd one to your friend to use.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Check your email guys ;-)
    WELCOME BACK TO SEATTLE, PAX BYOC GOERS!

Ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys, GAMERS OF ALL AGES! We welcome you to the one and only PAX 2010 BYOC. This letter is your official reminder to come join us for gaming awesomeness at the Washington Convention Center September 3rd-5th. If you forgot, well shame on you, but don’t worry we still have <3. If you are like us and have been checking the paxsite.com counter for the last 150ish days, well then, welcome home and we can’t wait to see you! But enough with the welcoming, the banter and of course the B.S. let us get down to business!

First off, here’s your list of what not to forget. IF you do forget something we do our best to have a couple spares on hand but don’t rely on it, there’s a 75% change we’ll point you to the nearest electronics store, or the mall down the street. On to the list!

BYOC Email from Intel complete with barcode (If you don’t have this by Wednesday September 1st please email us at pax_pc@ext.penny-arcade.com)
    3 Day PAX badge (if you don’t have one of these well you might be in a little trouble)
    Your (hopefully) kick ass computer
    Monitor (please no bigger than 24" LCD unless you bought 2 seats )
    Keyboard
    Mouse (wired mice and keyboards are recommended for lan parties)
    Mouse pad
    Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient, but it's better to have longer than shorter).
    Power cables
    Headphones
    Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.
    USB cell phone charger
    Deodorant
    USB thumb drive/portable hard drive (they always come in handy!)

Please Remember you have 2 Power plugs, NO OUTSIDE SURGE PROTECTORS ALLOWED (this is in caps because we have to enforce it).

Just like most LAN parties we do have an Internet connection available, but this connection is meant for games, contests and tournaments. Please do us all a favor and get your game updates, patches and any other Interwebz downloads from your home connection, or any of the nearby Starbucks' free Wifi. We also ask that you turn off all File Sharing programs such as: Bit Torrent, Kazaa, Limewire and etc. Not only do many of these spread Viruses and other nasty computer related things putting the network at risk, but they take our precioussssssss internet connection. If we see any file sharing, or general waste of our bandwidth (such as Bit torrent, streaming video or lolcats) we will cut off your connection.

--- Basic PAX BYOC Information ---

The Washington State Convention Center in Downtown Seattle, the PAX PC room is located on the 6th floor.

The PAX BYOC schedule is as follows:

Friday: 8:00am*-1:30am
    Saturday: 10:00am - 1:30am
    Sunday: 10:00am - 6:30pm
    *BYOC opens 2 hours early, the rest of PAX will open at 10am. We will be keeping BYOC attendees in the room until the official 10am start.

On Friday August 27, you will receive an email from our awesome friends at Intel with your registration information on it. This email will have a barcode which is binary for LET ME IN. Don’t lose this, it’s your golden ticket to a weekend of amazement (no chocolate will be provided).

When you first get to PAX Prime, your first step will be to grab your 3-day badge from registration (if you didn’t get it mailed to you) and your BYOC badge. Registration this year is at the Sheraton just 1 block West of the Convention Center. Early registration will be available on Thursday from 12pm-8pm and you can pick up both your BYOC badge and 3 day pass there at that time. After Thursday you'll need to pick up your 3 day pass @ the Sheraton and then proceed to the 6th floor of the convention center to snag your snazzy BYOC badge.

We highly suggest you go snag your 3 day pass and then proceed to bring your gear up, standing in line with a computer case, monitor or LAN bag isn’t just a hassle for you, it’s a hassle for everyone. The easiest way to get your compy 9000 upstairs is to park in the conference center garage, head in and head up. There are several elevators available but unfortunately most drop off on the 5th floor where you can either a) snag the escalator or b) cross the hall and take the other elevator that proceeds up to the 6th floor. There are only 2 elevators that access the 6th floor which makes things a little tough, but you can always ask an Enforcer or Greencoat for directions. If you need ADA help please contact us we’ll do whatever we can to take care of you.

General Stuffz:
    If you have any questions regarding seating, registration or general inquires, FIRST check the forums http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=118501. If that doesn’t answer your question you can email us and we’ll see what we can do

For BYOC security or group seating questions email BigRed- reasonablylucid@gmail.com

For general questions, registration help and etc. email pax_pc@ext.penny-arcade.com

BYOC Security:

PAX Prime is a HUGE event, we encourage PC gamers to get up and moving for at least a few minutes and experience the wonders of what PAX has to offer. “But what about that wonderful computer?” you may ask...well, we've got you covered. Our dedicated BYOC security enforcers are on hand to check in and out your gear while making sure it doesn't grow legs and walk off with someone else. While we can't guarantee anything (lawyers get involved), in the many years of doing PAX BYOC we have been able to keep computers and gear safe. After the BYOC closes we lock the doors and the convention center security ensures no humanoids of any type get in until the morning (aliens exempt, there technological superiority scares us).

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room secure, do be aware that there is little we can do to prevent ipods, portable game consoles, cd's, big wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security.

If you're coming with a laptop, we strongly recommend you invest in a laptop lock, particularly if you plan on leaving your laptop unaccompanied as you break dance to MC Frontalot or if you go next door to pick on those console gamers (don't forget the hand sanitizer, I heard XBOX is contagious). We do have a couple laptop locks available BUT NOT MANY so please plan on bringing your own. These can be purchased at any local retailer for as little as $20.00

Also, please make sure you understand your computer’s security; personal folders should not be shared. This year at PAX we will be approaching the 1,000 computer milestone. With this many computers, laptops and other electronic devices in one room there are bound to be snoopy people, do us all a favor and password protect your computer, and your personal files. Even though everyone (including me) may think it’s funny to set your friends homepage as some obscure internet meme please remember to respect your fellow PAX goers and stick to Wheaton’s Law.

And now on to the Fun stuff!

Tournaments:
    Tournament information can be found on the forums along with rules and a schedule.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=125389

Per the norm we have a BUSY tournament schedule, take a look and PLAN for your tournaments. The rules and signup information are in that thread, so pay close attention.

BYOC Contests:

Ahhh, BYOC contests, these are some of my favorite things to do. Returning to Prime this year will be the infamous Pretty Pwny contest if you don’t know what that is either a) welcome to the PAX BYOC, or b) crawl out from under the rock. Other contests will be announced and of course you can count on them being off the wall, random and usually fun (not necessarily for the participants, but definitely for the spectators).

Intranet and Patch Site:
    We will have an Intranet site available at http://PAX with general information, links to our awesome sponsor deals and of course an event schedule so you can plan your PAX experience. It won't work until you get on our network, you silly geese.

Steam Group:
    The PAX Prime BYOC Steam group will be live on Friday September 3rd. Join us and become part of the Borg…err group of people who have fun playing games. We’ll be making awesome use of the steam events system to announce surprise contests, tournaments and other random stuff.

PAX Concerts:
    This year the awesome sounds of Nerdcore favorites such as MC Frontalot, Jonathon Coulton and Paul and Storm will be broadcast throughout the PC room via projectors and Ventrilo. Since the concert is offsite, this allows you hard core nerds who don’t wish to leave your computers behind a chance to experience the concerts without having to leave your seat. For those of you who wish to join the crowds chanting “all we wanna do is eat your brainsssss….”, we will still have a limited number of concert wristbands available on a first come first serve basis.

I’m scared and don’t know what to do!!
    So you get there, but your LAN cable didn’t or you can’t find a seat? Come see our admin area in the back of the BYOC room. We have a fully staffed help desk to answer as many questions as we can, while we aren’t here for computer repairs we will do our best to help you out.

PAX Prime 2010 Sponsors:

Intel
    Our bestest buddies ever are returning to help make this an event to remember, as Intel will be there providing awesome systems to game on, prizes and support staff.
    http://lanfest.intel.com/

Ventrilo
    http://www.ventrilo.com

Digipen
    http://www.digipen.com

Gunnar
    http://www.gunnaroptiks.com

Riot Games-
    http://www.riotgames.com

And last but not least is a shout out to our Volunteers, Enforcers and other Staff.

Enforcers: Thank these guys, they are all the lifeblood of PAX, and we couldn't do this without them. If you are interested in being an enforcer, visit the Penny Arcade forums for more information.

Intel: Not only a major sponsor but also one of the biggest contributors of volunteer staff, if you see someone wearing an Intel shirt give them a hug...without 'em, you wouldn't be here.

That's it for now, and we hope you enjoy the show!

BigRed on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Received... this IS technically Thursday for Seattle people and those every where EXCEPT the East coast :P. Only 20 minutes into Friday, that's a super-duper-AWESOME-soon in pax terms.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bbbbbut my wireless mouse charger/receiver needs an outlet too.. :(

Thanks for the infodump Red. :)

GeeCee on
  • Options
    ariocksayssqueeariocksayssquee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1. If you guys can hook up the person who mentioned getting a minecraft server up and running, I'd appreciate it. <3 that game.

2. Still no info on the LAN site about tournaments or schedules. That would help me know what to install on my computer.

Great googly-moogly, I'm excited.

ariocksayssquee on
  • Options
    remorselessremorseless Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    quick question, if we dont have a lan carry bag can we make multiple trips to set up our equipment?

remorseless on
    Max sig height is 80 pixels
    custombanner-20454.png
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2010
    Still no info on the LAN site about tournaments or schedules. That would help me know what to install on my computer.
    Yea, we've been bad about keeping that site updated. Sorry. =(

PC Tourney info is here, though...

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=125389

David Coffman on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    quick question, if we dont have a lan carry bag can we make multiple trips to set up our equipment?

Yes. You'll just need to stop by the checkin desk with the monitor and PC on the respective trips.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    remorselessremorseless Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ty very much

remorseless on
    Max sig height is 80 pixels
    custombanner-20454.png
  • Options
    ThreeveThreeve Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a quick question about bringing a laptop. Is it ok to take my laptop back to the hotel at night or does it have to stay the whole time. I assume it would be fine to come and go, but I've never done BYOC and don't want to be frustrated because I was unaware of a policy.

Sorry if this was posted and I missed it.

Threeve on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Threeve wrote: »
    I have a quick question about bringing a laptop. Is it ok to take my laptop back to the hotel at night or does it have to stay the whole time. I assume it would be fine to come and go, but I've never done BYOC and don't want to be frustrated because I was unaware of a policy.

Yes, taking your laptop with you is fine but expect to have it checked when going in/out of BYOC. Also BRING A LAPTOP LOCK.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GeeCee wrote: »
    Threeve wrote: »

Yes, taking your laptop with you but expect to have it checked when going in/out of BYOC. Also BRING A LAPTOP LOCK.

On top of this though, I had the same question when I was pax East and I spent all day every day at pax until they shut the doors after the concert every evening, if you do pax like that, then you probably wont even bother with your laptop, I know I just went back to my hotel room and passed out.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Big Red, question on the email I(we) received....

*BYOC opens 2 hours early, the rest of PAX will open at 10am. We will be keeping BYOC attendees in the room until the official 10am start.

..so if my plan was to check in at 8am and leave my gear and then go to the key note I would not be able to? Just want to clear this up.

Rayman on
  • Options
    tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rayman wrote: »
    Big Red, question on the email I(we) received....

..so if my plan was to check in at 8am and leave my gear and then go to the key note I would not be able to? Just want to clear this up.

From a similar question:
    If you want to leave BYOC to go to the Line room you should let one of my security enforcers know and it will be fine.

tek on
This discussion has been closed.