As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher] [The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings trailer | 2011 release

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you sell pretty much everything you pick up, then your money problems pretty much go away. All the books, scrolls (once you've read them, they're useless) , most of the food, any spare weapons (axes, knives and swords can all bring a decent amount of money), and if you go to people who forge weapons, and ask them to forge something, you can sell pretty much anything on the purchase screen. And just pick up the remains from all the monsters you come across. You'll be swimming in money. You never really have to go out of your way to complete those quests.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So for anyone who hasn't picked this up yet, it's on sale over at Impulse this weekend for 9.99.

And since the second game looks like it's gonna be awesome, of course I have to replay the first...anyone have any words of advice for a hard run? (I'm guessing mixing pots is going to be really useful...)

Glocjt on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aard stun plus coupe de grace is almost cheating.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blain wrote: »

I can't wait for retail!

Seriously, is CD Projekt the only guys with an imagination anymore? I want some of this.

Syrionus on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The wiki page for this says it's multiplatform - I thought they scrapped that and it's PC only now?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They'll have designed some things on the technical side with an eventual console version in mind, but at the moment they're only concerned with PC.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Syrionus wrote: »
    Seriously, is CD Projekt the only guys with an imagination anymore? I want some of this.
    No, but they're one of the few where management will allow it during work hours.

Sometimes, games just have ridiculous and/or amazing press kits, though, as Giant Bomb has been known to show.

Seriously, that Final Fight kit at the end of the second link there includes, among other things, a cassette soundtrack. I don't even know where to start on the Bulletstorm one.

Monger on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Glocjt wrote: »
    So for anyone who hasn't picked this up yet, it's on sale over at Impulse this weekend for 9.99.

And since the second game looks like it's gonna be awesome, of course I have to replay the first...anyone have any words of advice for a hard run? (I'm guessing mixing pots is going to be really useful...)

Only that you keep your savegame, since apparently you can import it to keep your story decisions.

Although unlike Mass Effect, they're apparently going to have a system where if you're not importing, you'll basically just get to choose which answers you made / would've made, some time at the start of the second game.

subedii on
  • Options
    SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Anyway, in the middle of doing fedex quests in Act II and my biggest complaint about the game, thus far, is that.

The needless quests. All the "collect 5 drowner tongue" quests are totally worthless and add nothing to the game at all. There's enough combat in the actual main story that adding in that crap just isn't necessary. I really feel like they could just straight up remove every single bounty board mission and several of the side missions and the game would lose nothing for it. They could just scale up the money and xp rewards from the rest of everything to compensate and it would be a much better game.

Maybe it is just me but I love a decent amount fetch quests. I love it when I get quests that say kill 5 X monsters or gather 10 X items. As long as they keep it within reason. I never felt like Witcher had me doing too many of those though.
    Getting pretty excited about Witcher 2 now.

Me too.

Syrionus on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Witcher is back in my drive. Wonder if I can get into it this time.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh for people who get tired of all the fucking Drowners all the time: there's a drowner repelant trinket that scares them all off. Allows you to traverse the swamp superfast.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, so it turned out I lost interest right before act 1 got interesting. Now I'm fighting the Beast, and getting my ass handed to me. Any tips?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Okay, so it turned out I lost interest right before act 1 got interesting. Now I'm fighting the Beast, and getting my ass handed to me. Any tips?
    aard.

and between walking out of the cave and the fight starting the time gets moved forward to night-time, so that's a few hours if you don't watch out. Your buffs may have expired by then. Best to rest up in the cave first until it's *almost* evening and then quaff your potions.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    the beast is really hard to stun, and unless you fully invested bronze tokens into its first two levels chances are you wont beat it with an aardouken

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    At high level I ignored them and kept a-running. At the exit I'd turn around and give them an Igni/Yrden in the face.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    aard.

and between walking out of the cave and the fight starting the time gets moved forward to night-time, so that's a few hours if you don't watch out. Your buffs may have expired by then. Best to rest up in the cave first until it's *almost* evening and then quaff your potions.
    Specifically, I believe it goes to midnight. If you're just after midnight, the game will skip to midnight the next day, which will probably run through all your buffs.

Monger on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Think I'm finally at the endgame, Vizima aflame.

I stuck with the Order. Not that I don't like the Elves, but
    kidnapping just doesn't sit well with me. Cowards.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Think I'm finally at the endgame, Vizima aflame.

I stuck with the Order. Not that I don't like the Elves, but
    kidnapping just doesn't sit well with me. Cowards.
    And genocide is?

Aldo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, if it's lose/lose, I'll go with the side that doesn't murder unarmed women. Or civilians for that matter.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, if it's lose/lose, I'll go with the side that doesn't murder unarmed women. Or civilians for that matter.

you know you can choose neither side and take the witchers path of neutrality

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, but where's the fun in that?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, but where's the fun in that?
    Seems to serve you fine in Shin Megami Tensei. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm thinking you're not so clear on the whole 'genocide' thing.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    neutral is bestral

Alegis on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Neutral also rewards you with some more cards.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Neutral is also the Witcher way. It's also the best way to get a chance to shove your sword down the throat of both sides of the conflict, which feels really damn nice after all the shit they put you through during the story..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was neutral, but I was damn sure more tempted by the Order than the Scoia'tel.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Neutral also rewards you with some more cards.

the best card.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nartwak wrote: »

I'm thinking you're not so clear on the whole 'genocide' thing.

Is it really genocide when it's a world with such massive silly geese on all sides?

The answer is still "yes." But geesery on the scales we see in the world should imply asking for it.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This is kinda cool.

2289404332_e42360e292.jpg

Lalabox on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lego witcher plox?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was in Poland recently, they have witcher 2 notebooks and stuff in supermarkets :D

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nice.

And moving along in Chapter 5, I have a feeling this is all going to end badly.
    Poor White Rayla. Saw it coming though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nice.

The ending is great.
    Killing the King of the Wild Hunt at the end gets you the best last words from a boss ever. That sword is for monsters.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    Nice.

The ending is great.
    Killing the King of the Wild Hunt at the end gets you the best last words from a boss ever. That sword is for monsters.
    They're both for monsters.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Question regarding Chapter 5's finale:
    Does anything change if you keep Berengar alive after the fight? Because dang that's hard to do.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Jephery wrote: »
    Nice.

The ending is great.
    They're both for monsters.

I love that line.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Question regarding Chapter 5's finale:
    Does anything change if you keep Berengar alive after the fight? Because dang that's hard to do.
    It might for the sequel, but it doesn't for this game. Also, you might have a potion that makes you immune to stun and knockdown by this point. Which makes that fight easier.

Lalabox on