Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks like we could use another ruler like Henri, to beat everyone into submission for a period long enough to let the realm recover and hopefully connect the fractured parts. I'd do it, but I don't have the time, as I'm leaving on holiday abroad soon.

At least the collapse wasn't as bad as I thought from the earlier reports. Still, why the fuck is our capital in Besancon? Ile de France is superior, Besancon is shit. Better give it someone else to rectify this. Also, if someone gets the Netherlands back under our control, it's a good idea to split them between several different counties/duchies, as they seem especially prone to revolt.

steam_sig.png
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OK, I've managed to survive to the beginning of the new century. Here's the first 12-ish years of Alexander's reign to whet your appetite...
    Spoiler:

Short version: So far, so good. Alexander is a bit of a ninny, but the stability of the realm is better and we've managed to reclaim a province or two. We've even got an heir (although I'm holding my breath that he's legitimate, given that the queen only puts out for the highest bidder).

I'll try to burn through the rest of Alexander's reign in the next 2-3 days. Do we have someone in the on-deck circle yet?

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We do not, so it's me if nobody steps up.

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It looks like going through kings pretty quickly has helped to keep our infamy down. A shame your wife is a bit of a whore.

Be excellent to each other you stupid cunts.
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thats a lot of blue. Is that France, Sweden, Croatia or a mix of the three in Germany / Bohemia?

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Zedar wrote: »
    Thats a lot of blue. Is that France, Sweden, Croatia or a mix of the three in Germany / Bohemia?

There is indeed a whole lot of blue going on. It's mostly Sweden to the east. France has expanded quite a bit to the west and is holding its own in Iberia. A handful of those blue provinces actually belong to Scotland, who has a few vassals on the mainland (most of which we have claims on - probably target #1 when I'm ready to go on the offensive.)

I actually feel a little bad that I haven't helped Italy out much. While France has been pushing the Muslims out of Iberia, they've been pushing back up the Italian peninsula. I keep seeing messages along the lines of:

"Italy has declared war on the Sheikdom of Firenze"

Last I looked, even Rome was in the hands of the infidels. I'd like to send some forces down there to help throw them back, but I'm really hoping to get stability up a little higher before I get involved in any large-scale wars...

edited August 2010
    I love when the Muslims do cool things.

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    edited August 2010
    It's cool to see there are still Muslims at all. In my current game I'm only a little ahead of this time period, and they're nearly extinct.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm still potentially available if you'd like to avoid cycling through the old list. I've got DVIP running, but I can always install another copy of just CK with DV. I make no promises about being able to pull the realm back together; I may know the nuances of the game, but that doesn't make me good.

(...contrary to my lack of updates at my LP I've managed to get FRAPS working with it, so there has been minor progress).

Join the Crew: Sink to the level of sinking those trying to sink us.
    PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited August 2010
    I need to get to bed, so no time for a full update tonight. Alexander has made some real progress in reuniting the realm, but he's holding things together with spit and scotch tape at the moment. Frankly, the kingdom is going to be in much better shape when Alexander dies. Not because of me, necessarily, but well - look:

This is the present...
    Spoiler:

...and _this_ is the future. :^:
    Spoiler:

edited August 2010
    Hopefully William there is fertile. Good God.

EDIT: Also, he's totally not Alexander's son. :P

edited August 2010
    Maybe he's good at everything except getting chicks. He'll need a street-smart, wise-cracking partner to show him the ropes and win the love of his life.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
  • starkillerstarkiller Registered User
    edited August 2010
    Maybe he's good at everything except getting chicks. He'll need a street-smart, wise-cracking partner to show him the ropes and win the love of his life.

You want Lusty and 16. Any other stat is worthless.

edited August 2010
    starkiller wrote: »

You want Lusty and 16. Any other stat is worthless.

Believe me, in this case that is precisely what I'll be looking for. William needs to pump out heirs by the bucketload, and hopefully some of those righteous genes will pass on.

EDIT: Also, he's totally not Alexander's son.

Yeah, probably not. But I won't tell if you won't...

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    shalmelo wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, he's totally not Alexander's son.

Yeah, probably not. But I won't tell if you won't...

So, thread title change incoming?

"Charlemagne's Psuedo-Heirs"? "Charlemagne's Usurpers"? :D

elvenshae2_zps569236d5.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The FATE of the Rebellion PBP
    FotR on Obsidian Portal
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't mind getting in the rotation, but I've never played the games. Would that be an issue?

edited August 2010
    All hail William, gleaming metal robot-king from the future!

edited August 2010
    schuss wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind getting in the rotation, but I've never played the games. Would that be an issue?

Try to play before Rex's turn is over, but sure.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    schuss wrote: »

Try to play before Rex's turn is over, but sure.

OK, which game should I pick up to be most appropriate?

edited August 2010
    Ah! If you want to play soon, you'd need Crusader Kings and the Deus Vult expansion. If you want more time to learn and a simpler game to understand, probably, you want Europa Universalis 3 Gold and Heir to the Throne.

edited August 2010
    Update the 2nd

or

The Continuing Adventures of Alexander the Romantic Nitwit, King of Burgundy (1200-1214)

Spoiler:

Also, because I know y'all are map dorks (you almost have to be, in order to play this game), here's how the known world looks as we move into 1214:
    Spoiler:

edited August 2010
    That's, um, a lot of prestige you've got. I assume the crusade is aimed at Jerusalem and not somewhere in Spain?

edited August 2010
    You tend to rack up a lot of prestige when you're putting down 4-5 vassal rebellions every year. I'd spend some of it on new claims, but we've got a bad enough reputation as it is.

And how can you tell what specific territory a Crusade is aimed at liberating? I've never been able to figure that out, just figured it meant dogpile on the heathens...

edited August 2010
    It'll say if you mouse over the flag. Sometimes finding the spot can be a pain in the ass, though.

edited August 2010
    With your wife constantly stashing away the entire kingdom's treasury, you might want to check on her loyalty from time to time. If it's low you'll tend to get a lot of those sorts of events (the spymaster is the other one you'll want to check fairly often).

Even if she's the best steward by stats, you'll want to replace her (or hope for means of increasing her loyalty).

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited August 2010
    It'll say if you mouse over the flag. Sometimes finding the spot can be a pain in the ass, though.

They're only done for I believe Antioch (north of Jerusalem on the coast), Jerusalem, Alexandria, Rome itself, and various places in Spain, as I recall.

edited August 2010
    So, out of curiosity, is there any way to abdicate your throne to your son? I ask because my reputation is terrible, the loyalty of all my vassals is dropping like rocks, and William is more than ready to take over and kick some ass. I've had a 30-year reign, I think what Alexander really wants is some peaceful downtime to write his poetry. Plus, I have a lot to do this weekend, and I'd rather not spend the whole time fighting against my own armies...

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    shalmelo wrote: »
    So, out of curiosity, is there any way to abdicate your throne to your son? I ask because my reputation is terrible, the loyalty of all my vassals is dropping like rocks, and William is more than ready to take over and kick some ass. I've had a 30-year reign, I think what Alexander really wants is some peaceful downtime to write his poetry. Plus, I have a lot to do this weekend, and I'd rather not spend the whole time fighting against my own armies...

A good way to lose reputation seems to be to declare war on a vassal, vassalise them, but give up all your claims to their land. You can knock off a couple percent for every one you do this to with the added bonus of restoring his loyalty to 100%.

Or given you've got 4000 prestige, why not just claim someone elses land, invade, kill all their fit young males, and then relinquish the claim?

I had sex with the Ecumenical Patriarch and he infected me with syphilis
    edited August 2010

A good way to lose reputation seems to be to declare war on a vassal, vassalise them, but give up all your claims to their land. You can knock off a couple percent for every one you do this to with the added bonus of restoring his loyalty to 100%.

Hmm, good to know. But will their loyalty stay high even if the realm is under duress, stability is low and my stats stink?

edited August 2010
    Update the 3rd (1214-1224)

or

Turns out madness is hereditary. Who knew?

Spoiler:

Please stay tuned tomorrow for the next installment of "As the Realm Crumbles".

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait, so you son decided to attack, and get excommunicated by, the Pope that you control?

Sweet.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well things are sure to stay interesting the the crazy apparently running strong in the de Vermandois bloodline. Is the (no longer) heir showing any signs of it? Who is in line for succession now?

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Wait, so you son decided to attack, and get excommunicated by, the Pope that you control?

Sweet.

Ayup. I (repeatedly) tried to order the Pope to revoke the excommunication, but he was unable to do it because his prestige was too low, or some such bullshit.

Anyway, Alexander's finally off to the great beyond. I've got to eat something and head out for the evening in a few hours, but I'll try to get the writeup done for the final installment before I go.

edited August 2010
    I like O'Cruadhlaoich as a Norwegian name. Stupid Pope.

By the way, my compliments, that was my favorite single update so far.

edited August 2010
    Thanks very much. It was definitely fun to write, if not always fun to play. There were a couple moments in there around 1219 or so when I was really beginning to worry if there would be anything left to hand over to you guys.

shalmelo has gained the trait: stressed

FUUUUUUU. I had the writeup almost complete, then accidentally misclicked on the browser and lost it. No time to do it again now, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Sorry guys. Tune in tomorrow for the less-than-thrilling conclusion.

shalmelo has gained the trait: drunk
    shalmelo has gained the trait: surly

edited August 2010
    It's fine, send the save tonight though just in case Rex can only play on weekends or some such.

edited August 2010
    Ha, that's great to read. I hope our family stays crazy forever. I especially love the tower of babel.

And in looking online, apparently O'Cruadhlaoich is pronounced "Crowley?" Oh Irish, you and your wacky letters.

edited August 2010
    So I've got the save and it seems to have loaded find.

...The political situation in-game however ...not so fine. I think I'll leave shalmelo to potentially address these issues. We also seem to have cut out the middleman - going from Norman to Norwegian culture.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited August 2010
    Vikings + Charlemagne?

edited August 2010
    Update the final

or

The Madness of King Alexander I (1225-1235)

Spoiler:

And here's the state of the known world in 1235 as the torch is passed:

Spoiler:

So, to summarize - Alexander sat on the throne for a whopping 46 years, and for the last 16 years he was psychotic. When he inherited the throne the realm's stability was at rock bottom, and while he was never able to get it back into positive numbers, it fluctuated between -1 and 0 for most of his reign. Territory-wise it was two steps forward, one step back. Normandy and Brittany were both brought back into the fold, but Anjou was lost. Hopefully Bjorn will be able to retake Holland, now that England and Sweden are both severely weakened.

This was a lot of fun, and while I would have preferred a shorter reign (and would have preferred to give someone a chance to rule with man-god William), it was definitely quite a ride. Best of luck to Rex as he moves forward with Bjorn, and if my name comes up again in the rotation for either CK or EUIII, I'll definitely take the call.