As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

AMUSE YOUR OVERLORD PT. 2

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay so we had a pretty successful thread a while back wherein I demanded entertainment and you lot gave me a list of shows that you thought might be entertaining. I think I've watched them all now, though.

Archer, Frisky Dingo and the X-tacles? All totally amazing. Had to re-watch Frisky Dingo to an extent, it's a slow starter, but pretty incredible on the whole.

Parks and Rec was a failure in my view. Don't even suggest Big Bang Theory.

Tosh.0 is a recent find and I find it to be hilarious. But I'm a fan of Daniel Tosh's stand up. Which is sometimes a bit better than his show, but Tosh.0 is still better than Demitri Martin's TV show. Demitri Martin's stand up might be better than Tosh's, though. You should look him up if you haven't heard of him.

I've seen every episode of the Kids in the Hall like four hundred times. Same with Monty Python. Totally familiar with Metalocalypse, the renewed Futurama.

Bill Bailey's got a good DVD that I have. Obviously Bill Hicks was a god amongst men. Good stand up DVDs are very welcome.

So I'm up for more suggestions. Comedians, cartoons, etc.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spaced. Simon Pegg's early British sitcom.

Peep Show. Same sort of premise, only with Mitchell & Webb.

Black Books. More British humour, but in a book store.

Esh on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Spaced I've seen but the lady here hasn't, so awesome. Will accordingly attempt the others you've posted.

Pheezer on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Community.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Like, are we suggesting just newer stuff, or older things you may have missed?

Because everyone needs to see the whole season of Clone High.

-edit-

Also, Little Britain.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you're suggesting Clone High, I'm gonna throw in Undergrads as well. Both were cut short before their time....

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jeeves and Wooster, Absolutely Fabulous, Strangers With Candy & maybe The Adventures of Brisco County Jr

They're all on Netflix, but only Strangers With Candy is streaming (no idea about Hulu)

Usagi on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I give a +1 to Community, and since people are throwing in BBC-ISH SUGGESTIONS, I'd consider Father Ted.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How in the world did you not like Parks and Rec? Skip season 1 if you have to but 2 is amazing

Have you tried Psych yet? Silly but fun. You might also enjoy Reno 911

Rayze on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Party Down was so funny that all of its actors got hired by shows with larger paychecks by the second season and now it's canceled.

In addition to Clone High, you could try Venture Brothers, which TheOtherHorseman should have mentione because it is the source of his avatar.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    if you are BBCing it up, you must, absolutely must watch Nighty Night

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Party Down was so funny that all of its actors got hired by shows with larger paychecks by the second season and now it's canceled.

In addition to Clone High, you could try Venture Brothers, which TheOtherHorseman should have mentione because it is the source of his avatar.

I assume everyone already has watched every episode of Venture Brothers 8 times over, as it helps to bolster my faith in mankind as being worth saving when the aliens come to burn the unworthy.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another vote for Community, it's the best comedy on TV right now.

And Arrested Development is the best comedy ever.

Tomanta on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Daria is the best work of Western animation ever.

Ever.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Netflix has the first 5 seasons, and season 6 starts in September.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited August 2010
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Netflix has the first 5 seasons, and season 6 starts in September.

It is super important to watch this show from the beginning. No half-assing it with an episode here and an episode there.

I say this because it is entirely possible to pick a random episode and find yourself put off by how incredibly terrible and sociopathic the characters are. This happened to a friend of mine. You have to ease yourself into their evil. Once I made him do that, it became one of his favorite shows.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Esh wrote: »

EXCELLENT SHOW but leans toward more depressing humor. Highly recommend a three episode test.

mensch-o-matic on
    edited August 2010

EXCELLENT SHOW but leans toward more depressing humor. Highly recommend a three episode test.

I think it's more dry and dark. Not something American audiences are really used to.

Esh on
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another vote for Community and Arrested Development here. Cannot express my love for those shows enough. Seen every episode of each at least three times and AD is definitely deeper, but I still catch new stuff on replays of both every time.

Also, Clone High. Only ran one season and yes, it's an early 2000's MTV cartoon, but it is amazing. Trust me.

Oh, and 30 Rock ain't bad and Netflix has a lot of it.

lemongrenades on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    The British show Misfits was really good. It had funny moments, but I don't think you can quite call it a comedy.

If you haven't checked out Better Off Ted, which *probably* got a mention before, it is really amusing in a sad and scary kind of way. Also in a funny kind of way, though.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have you seen "That Mitchell and Webb Look"?

It is a great show. Sketch comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
    edited August 2010
    Okay yes I've also watched Venture Bros. a million times and a half.

Always Sunny? Like I don't have the season premiere marked as a calendar event in my iphone?

Clone High: Marilyn Manson's cameo blew my mind.

You guys missed Bromwell High. Inconsistent, yes. Hilarious, also yes.

Undergrads: Never really got taken by it. Watched a substantial amount of it, just never fell for it. I may not have a soul. It may be attached to a period in my life I'm not yet comfortable with. I'm not sure.

30 Rock is so rad and I don't care how bad this is, Tina Fey is mega hot. Also Arrested Development was charming as all fuck.

Gonna try out Community. Maybe I'll take on season 2 of Parks and Rec. Reno 911 makes me laugh to no end.

Sorry if there's a pointer I haven't addressed yet.

Pheezer on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Flight of the Conchords.

Adus on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Coupling is a brilliant British sit-com with some of the greatest scenes in the history of television. The writer (for the entire show) is the current lead writer on Dr. Who as well as the writer of the most acclaimed episodes of the previous four seasons (Doctor Dances series/Blink/Silence of the Library series/Girl in the Fireplace.)

I'll second Better Off Ted.

admanb on
    edited August 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Flight of the Conchords.

Is season two any good? I liked about half of season one. It's like it started at 100% and finished around 5%.

If season two picks up at 5%, I'm out. There was just too much "it's funny because it's awkward" humour. Sometimes that's good but man, it just wasn't nearly as good as the robot song. Seriously. BINARY SOLO.

Pheezer on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mind you community is a bit inconsistent at the beginning -- it's pretty clear that they're trying things out and working on figuring out the group dynamics of the actors

there might be a couple moments where you've gotta power through until you get to the halloween episode (#7, "Introduction to Statistics"). from then on it is pretty great until episode #23 ("Modern Warfare") which is the greatest 22 minutes in the history of television

Dehumanized on
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    there might be a couple moments where you've gotta power through until you get to the halloween episode (#7, "Introduction to Statistics"). from then on it is pretty great until episode #23 ("Modern Warfare") which is the greatest 22 minutes in the history of television

Agreed.

Also, recently been watching Pushing Daisies on Netflix. There were only two short seasons of it. Not as focused on the comedic, but what is there is snappy and the rest is....whimsical...? Almost kinda magical even though it's not. Maybe just cuz Jim Dale narrates it.

Plus I forgot to mention Psych. Pretty up and down, but good in small doses.

lemongrenades on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Mighty Boosh. I love this show so much. The box set is well worth it.

hmm, most of my other suggestions have been mentioned (Black Books, 30 Rock, Venture Bros, Arrested Development etc...)

Oh, speaking of Arrested Development, has anyone mentioned Archer?

And Archer brings to mind (via Jon Benjamin) that I should also recomend Dr. Katz and Home Movies (moreso Home Movies but they're both good). Both have dvd sets out with all their seasons.

edit: Also - Dead Like Me. And Better off Ted (excellent comedy, the advertising made it look like The Office which I hate so I skipped it until recently. It's more like a new News Radio)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Flight of the Conchords.

Is season two any good? I liked about half of season one. It's like it started at 100% and finished around 5%.

If season two picks up at 5%, I'm out. There was just too much "it's funny because it's awkward" humour. Sometimes that's good but man, it just wasn't nearly as good as the robot song. Seriously. BINARY SOLO.

I dunno, I liked all of it pretty equally. I thought pretty much every episode had a few funny lines. To be honest, I never watched it for the songs anyway which I always thought were hit or miss.

Adus on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think season two of Flight of the Conchords was good, I recommend it.

I want to recommend We Can be Heroes and Summer Heights High; though I'm worried they may not be as funny to an international audience. I recommend you download one or two eps and see if you enjoy. They were both immensely popular in Australia

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The second season of Parks and Recreation is amazing and way, way, waaaaaay better than the first season. Give it a shot if you haven't.

Rasmus on
    edited August 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Flight of the Conchords.

Season 2 is worse than Season 1. I felt the exact way you did about that series.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    Disheartening.

I saw recommendations for the Mighty Boosh and for Dead Like Me. I have seen these multiple times and agree with you: they do kick ass.

Pheezer on
    edited August 2010
    Party Dowwwwwwn!

Also, a bonus recommendation because I already recommended Party Down: Look Around You

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rob Pue does some great stand-up. He's got a Comedy Now special that comes on every once in a while on The Comedy Network.

He's also got a DVD coming out soon.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited August 2010
    Party Dowwwwwwn!

Also, a bonus recommendation because I already recommended Party Down: Look Around You

I watched the first episode of this and didn't even crack a smile. Does it take awhile to hit its stride, because I'm willing to keep watching if it gets better.

Esh on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peep Show is pretty damn funny. Good thread.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited August 2010
    Party Dowwwwwwn!

I watched the first episode of this and didn't even crack a smile. Does it take awhile to hit its stride, because I'm willing to keep watching if it gets better.

Like with many shows the first episode is stylistically worse and still sort of getting its bearings, and I would say it gets much funnier, but if you didn't even smile it might not be worth it. On the other hand each episode is short so #2 might be worth watching.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Day Today.

Knowing Me, Knowing You.

I'm Alan Partridge 1 and 2.

In that order.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    whenever i have a hankering to be entertained i rewatch firefly :P

Pailryder on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't seen it mentioned, so I'll add Pushing Daisies to the list, as well as Breaking Bad & Mad Men.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg