As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D]Only in Dreams - Act I: Dream Country

1234568»

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aemille:
    You gleam nothing of value from the statue. You gleam nothing of value from...anything, really.

Using your harp trick also provides no noticeable results. Both hallways don't echo for a long while.

Farangu on
  • ZaximusZaximus Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nimaran stared at the devil portion of the statue - why here, in this unnatural cave? What was this supposed to signify? What kind of trouble were they about to get into?
    Religion27 = 17+10

Nimaran then looks towards the left passage. "Though it hasn't necessarily served us well, I'd be willing to give left another chance."

OOC
    I'm going to be out of the country for eight days or so, with no internet access. I'm not sure how absences work in a PbP game - I could just stay in the back following the party and be scarce during combat, if that works.

Zaximus on
    edited August 2010
    If you'd like we could have one of us roll for you in combat.

Farangu on
    edited August 2010
    That sounds good - I didn't realize that we could roll on each other's sheets. Nimaran, being his tiny gnomish self, will tend to stay in the back and launch illusions at the greatest threat.

Zaximus on
    edited August 2010
    ...so which way are you guys wanting to go.

Farangu on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Maiden slid the coin up onto the top of her thumb and flicked it skyward with a small "ping". She let it reach the peak of its flight before snatching it out of the air mid-flip on the way down, uncurling her fingers to check the result.

"Left."

With a flick of her wrist, she sent the coin careening down the hallway as if to punctuate her decision, the gold piece rolling straight down and into the darkness.

interrobang on
    edited August 2010
    Heading down the left hallway, you soon begin to smell something most interesting.

Cooking meat. But what's interesting about it is that it doesn't smell appetizing at all.

Farangu on
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aemille curls her face in disgust. "What is that?" she whispers to Laineth, not expecting, or really even hoping, for an answer.

Whatever it was, she would press forward.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    edited August 2010
    Sorry for the downtime. I had hoped that, since I will be away from my desktop for a few weeks, I could just email the campaign and map files to my laptop. Of course, this plan failed somehow. So I have to make this map, and the tokens over again. Also, I have to remake the monsters' info without my books.

Update will be coming either late tonight or tomorrow.

Farangu on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Laineth sniffs. "Aye, 'tis the smell of rot. Any creature'd feast on that must surely be monstrous. We'd best exercise caution."

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited August 2010
    Your pace quickens. The stench is quickly becoming nauseating. Finally, you approach its source: An open room with a fire pit in the corner, with a disgusting looking roast rotating on a spit over it. The room also contains a number of goblins, seeming to use this room as a living space. They show alarm at your approach, but while a few go for weapons from a rack along the back wall, one goblin holds up a hand and shouts, which make the others freeze in their tracks.

"Humie-types...wot're yew doin' down 'ere?"

Farangu on
    edited August 2010
    Can anyone identify that roast, like with a Nature check?

Summer only knew goblins as raiders and vermin, and Laineth often fought them as servants to the Slave Lords, but she decides to keep it civil for now. "Could ask ye the same thing, goblin. Cave's been open, what, a couple days at most, and ye're already making yerselves at home?" Laineth places herself between the goblins and the party, not outwardly hostile but ready to leap into the fray should violence erupt.

delroland on
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aemille lets Laineth take the lead on this one, as she seemed to be doing a more than capable job. Aemille kept focused on the goblins to see their reactions.
    Insight 19

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    edited August 2010
    What is with these insane rolls. Sheesh.

"We like it down 'ere. Don' know wot you mean by a cave bein' open, though. Dat's silly talk."

Farangu on
    edited August 2010
    "Where d'ye think we came from?" Laineth points back the way the party came in. "Something knocked the soil loose, an' now this whole place is opened up to the outside."

delroland on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gwyn-Lai practically turned green, taking great effort to not vomit at the harsh smell. She fought it down, and after a few moments managed to step into the room without losing her breakfast, keeping a wary eye on the armed goblins. They were not, by all accounts, a trustworthy race. She would not be fooled. And... what was that on the spit?
    Any option to roll for the identity of that meat?

Rainfall on
    edited August 2010
    Gwyn-Lai:
    It's not a roast, per se. The goblins have tied together a bunch of rats, and put the bundle over the fire. The smell tells you that some of these rats were not fresh kills.

The head goblin looks at you. "You came from...up 'dere? Does dat mean...WE can go up 'dere?"

Farangu on
    edited August 2010
    Trying not to sound overtly hostile, Laineth matter-of-factly states, "That depends on yer intentions, little one. If ye're planning on making trouble for the folks up there, then ye'll have a problem with us." Laineth points up as she continues, "They've had bad run-ins with yer kind before, so don't expect 'em to welcome ye with open arms, neither."

delroland on
    edited August 2010
    He shrugs. "Dat don't matter none to us. Anythin's gotta be better den livin' down 'ere! Start packin, boyz!"

With that, the goblins begin to gather what matters to them. Which isn't much.

As they're packing, you notice that there's a continuation of the hallway on the other side of this room.

Farangu on
    edited August 2010
    Can anyone with a high Insight roll to see what these goblins' intentions are once they reach the surface? I don't want to release a pack of bandits onto the countryside.

"Fair enough. Afore we part ways, can ye tell us what to expect further in?" Laineth points to the continued hallway behind the goblins.

delroland on
    edited August 2010
    "Rats. Good eats, if yew need it."

Farangu on
    edited August 2010
    Nimaran worked over the goblin's words in his head for a little while before speaking.

"Sorry to interrupt - but if you boys lived down here...and the entrance was sealed...just where exactly did you come from, anyway?"
    Back in the US now - hello internet!

Diplomacy 27 (18 + 9) to try and ask without patronizing them.
    Insight 16 (14 + 2) to see if we're about to unleash a great evil upon the world

Zaximus on
    edited August 2010
    He grins. "We're diggaz! We found this place one day, and it kept the rain out. So we thought we'd stay a bit."

Nimaran:
    They seem to just be ordinary goblins to you.

Farangu on
    edited August 2010
    PAX break! I'll be away until Monday-ish. Understandably, updates here will be slow, but I'll try to get to this if I can.

Farangu on
    edited September 2010
    Nah, don't worry about it. Just have fun at PAX! :D

delroland on
    edited September 2010
    I have returned from PAX.

Let play resume.

Farangu on