As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Incendiary Ammo makes Krogan extra crispy.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i dunno

my shep is slightly aloof when it comes to samara

she's the oldest thing on the normandy, and it shows

my shep never takes her on missions because he's a bit leery about unleashing her on random mercs

doesn't exactly seem fair

plus, jack is born to do the barrier thingy :^:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fun fact: Samara is older than every other person on the Normandy combined

Fun fact 2: Okeer is older than every other person on the Normandy combined, including Samara

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Emporium wrote: »
    Also, did anyone else have trouble alt-tabbing in or out of ME1 on the PC? My computer locked up completely multiple times when trying to do so. I fixed it by putting the game in windows mode, but it annoys me that the game runs so poorly on my computer.

Mine alt-tabs out fine (on windows XP), but tabbing back in requires a wait of up to a minute, and frequently crashes anyway.

Auberon on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    Fun fact: Samara is older than every other person on the Normandy combined

Fun fact 2: Okeer is older than every other person on the Normandy combined, including Samara

Would still do
    Okeer that is :winky:

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know if statistics have been made available regarding how well the ME2 DLC is selling? I'm curious to know if a lot of people ended up buying Overlord.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Emporium wrote: »
    Alright, so I'm in the middle of my ME1 completionist playthrough, and somehow I have Ashely locked in for romance. I must not have been paying attention to what conversation options I was using with her. I'm not terribly worried about it, because she's about to become part of a radioactive dust cloud. But it isn't considered a romance until you get the cutscene just before the final mission right?

Also, did anyone else have trouble alt-tabbing in or out of ME1 on the PC? My computer locked up completely multiple times when trying to do so. I fixed it by putting the game in windows mode, but it annoys me that the game runs so poorly on my computer.

...this I do remember having a problem with, but ME1 is far from the only game that's had that problem. Windowed mode was more convenient anyway so *shrug*.

Orca on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know if statistics have been made available regarding how well the ME2 DLC is selling? I'm curious to know if a lot of people ended up buying Overlord.

I'd be damned curious to find out how well all the DLC's doing as well. Heck, I'd be happy with overall numbers, like what Harmonix released for their DLC way back when.

Orca on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can anyone recommend the paid ME2 DLC? I've got all the Cerberus stuff, is Overlord and whatnot worth it?

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Overlord is good, lots of stuff to do in and out of the Hammerhead.
    Kasumi is quick (1 mission) but you get a new squad member and a new gun.
    Firepower pack has some awesome guns.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    Overlord is good, lots of stuff to do in and out of the Hammerhead.
    Kasumi is quick (1 mission) but you get a new squad member and a new gun.
    Firepower pack has some awesome guns.

That was pretty much everything I was going to type before I went to the bathroom and missed my oppertunity to be timely.

Kasumi is probably the most worth it if you plan to do future play throughs. She is a pretty awesome character with a couple of unique powers. Its alot of fun to have her slip behind the enemy ranks and assassinate annoying stuff like Heavies or the collectors with the particle beams of death.

Also the SMG in her mission is hands down the best one available.

TheDrifter on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rikushix wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend the paid ME2 DLC? I've got all the Cerberus stuff, is Overlord and whatnot worth it?

Kasumi and Overlord are both definitely worth it. The armor and weapon packs are all more individual tastes, though the Firepower pack pushes the line between optional and required - I'd almost recommend staying away from it because it makes the game so much easier. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Rikushix wrote: »

Kasumi and Overlord are both definitely worth it. The armor and weapon packs are all more individual tastes, though the Firepower pack pushes the line between optional and required - I'd almost recommend staying away from it because it makes the game so much easier. :P

Your exaggerating

It makes it E-Z Mode
    Playing blind folded wouldn't even make using those hard

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I mean after playing through ME2 several times it's cool to be able to powerhouse it with those guns, but playing it the first time with all those toys would be a disservice.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It should be noted that the Kestrel armor added with the Aegis pack is practically tailor-made for a Vanguard.

Huge shield bonuses, huge melee damage bonuses, lots of weapon damage bonuses, and some extra heavy weapon ammo and headshot bonus damage as icing. Only negative side is that the helmet covers nearly your entire face, so you only pretty much ever see Shepard's mouth.

Edit: And yeah, I'd probably avoid the Firepower pack until your second+ playthrough. The pack came out just before I beat ME2 the first time, so after doing about two or three pre-end-game missions with the weapons, I switched back to base game stuff for the duration, so I wouldn't ruin it for myself.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd avoid the Kestrel pack as well, as the armor is pretty much "why wear anything else" for some classes, when part of the fun I've had with my Shepards is giving them each distinct armors.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cerberus Daily News:
    A new wrinkle in the trial of Rolan Quarn, the turian who masqueraded as the CEO of Delumcore Systems: passing himself off as Jaxum Borlin isn’t the first time he’s stepped into someone else’s life. Quarn has impersonated dozens of other people including a stunt driver, sous-chef, martial arts instructor, ambassador, varren tamer, news anchor, and stand-up comedian. Nos Astran police chief Sonja Treme stated that Quarn is being “cooperative” and that “he was living off of what he made once he joined Delumcore. Borlin’s personal accounts haven’t been touched.”

Sounds like a movie waiting to happen.

Shujaa on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was having a convo with a mate about the Reaper's motivations. I thought maybe the whole thing is like a giant laboratory for them, with the purpose of randomly generating life-forms useful to them, perhaps out of a fear of their own limitations the Reapers sought organic life and organic minds to bolster their own capacities.
    Apologies if this theory has been raised before, but its basically the only one ive got for making sense of the ending to ME2, seriously, what was all that about?

Prohass on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guys, do you think, like 100 years after ME3 events, that the world can go through a series of events that make it the same world regardless of choices in ME and ME2?

Because the way it is right now its like a snowball effect; choices carry on. This makes the world less static with every new game, will this force the IP to end with ME3? Or will there be a war where a new multi-race council has to be in place? Would the Rachni have a small presence regardless of choice? (Another queen egg 'could' have survived).

I can live with playing some one who isn't Shep, I'd hate it, but I'd live with it.

I can't live without Tali though :(

TheOrange on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got the impression that the ending was showing you how Reapers reproduce. They need organic life for themselves to be able to reproduce and evolve, hence their cycles of genocide and laying dormant in between. And even then, only certain life is "suitable" for them to use and reproduce from.

Either that or they see something in the humans that they can use, in the same way they used the Protheans, and want to make humans into their new slave race. Out of all the races, humans have gained special attention from the Reapers, partly due to Shepard and partly due to humanity's inherent genetic diversity.

When you fight Harbinger, he sometimes comments about the races they have considered. See here under the "quotes about the squad" section.

Shujaa on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought that, and the game does seem to be implying it.

But if all they need from organic life is its tissues and whatnot surely they could mass produce those materials in vats and stuff? My theory is they're kind of startled by the way organic life thinks and behaves, they dont understand it, so they're trying to adopt and incorporate not just the physical material but the mentality and behavior into their own mould.

Its the only thing I can think of as to why they let life evolve within their mass effect relay laboratory, rather than just mass producing it factory style.

Also the whole inability to control organics v the complete domion they have over synthetics led me to believe the Reapers started this whole thing when they first discovered organic life, and realised it could theoretically pose a threat greater than synthetic life, which they are the apex of and can control.

Prohass on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Future ME media can just pick a canon, and there doesn't necessarily have to be one true one

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    At the end of Overlord on Insanity with the Mattock. How the fuck do I finish this last area? I make it to the second round of VI connections and the Geth just end me too quickly.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    God Overlord was good.

I never had Mass Effect themed dreams involving violence till I played Overlord. Then I had nightmares about rampant AIs for like a week.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shujaa wrote: »
    Cerberus Daily News:
    A new wrinkle in the trial of Rolan Quarn, the turian who masqueraded as the CEO of Delumcore Systems: passing himself off as Jaxum Borlin isn’t the first time he’s stepped into someone else’s life. Quarn has impersonated dozens of other people including a stunt driver, sous-chef, martial arts instructor, ambassador, varren tamer, news anchor, and stand-up comedian. Nos Astran police chief Sonja Treme stated that Quarn is being “cooperative” and that “he was living off of what he made once he joined Delumcore. Borlin’s personal accounts haven’t been touched.”

Sounds like a movie waiting to happen.

Sounds like Catch Me If You Can, actually.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Salarians were there first, they're the cool intelligent older brother to the turians.

Volus created the galactic economy, but apparently council seats are given based on military strength. That is supremely unfair to the weaker species, even to a xenophobe like me.

Volus DO have a council representative. The Turian councilor. They are a part of the Hierarchy now, their military strength is the military strength of their state, the Turian Hierarchy. The Volus probably contribute hundreds of thousands of troops, a lot of technology and financing to that military. The Volus state is a simple protectorate. Were the Volus ever attacked the Turians would go to war against their enemy, because it would be a direct declaration of war against the Turians as well. Volus have the Hierarchy citizenship and all the same chances of earning further citizenship tiers as well if they join the army (which is the only way turians can earn a citizenship as well).

Hell, unlike some other races with client races (the Hanar/Drell), turians even allow them to retain their own representative in the Citadel! Is it any wonder the Volus willingly joined the Hierarchy?

Once again, Turians are proven to be SO AWESOME. <3

The turian councilor is actually terrible and doesn't show much love for the volus. They don't even get their own office.

The defining feature of the turians is their massive military might. As you said, this is probably heavily influenced by volus financing. Volus do join the military, but they are useless in combat, so play an administrative role. This is a big deal, but you never hear about it. Garrus never talks about how volus helped him out in the military.

It says right in the codex that the primary reason for the volus' lack of inclusion is their inability to supply combat troops. That's like saying you can only ride the roller coaster in Kenya if you have green eyes, even if you're the guy who built the roller coaster.

We don't even see a hanar embassy on the Citadel. Either way, the drell show little interest in galactic relations, probably due to their tiny population, and mostly stay on Kahje. Their relationship with the Hanar is also much closer than turian/volus, which is just a "hey you do my homework I'll protect you from the bullies" thing.

The Codex says that the Volus (and presumably other client states in the Hierarchy) serve as and provide auxiliary troops in the Turian military. There ARE other forms of military service then frontline fighters, especially in the Mass Effect era of starship fighting. Nothing stops a Volus from being a good pilot, mechanic or supply worker. Considering the heavy emphasis the turians put on service on ANY position, there is no reason why those positions aren't valued as much. Their lack of inclusion to the Citadel Council comes from the fact that they can't supply ENOUGH troops, money, and other resources in the case of massive emergencies, unlike the three largest races and apparently Systems Alliance. It's not really fair to give them same political powers if they can't meet the responsibilities required.

Just because we don't straight up hear about the volus from the few dozen lines we hear from the turian councilor or Garrus it doesn't mean that they aren't an important part of the Hierarchy. Compared to the other races at the least, what little turian/volus interaction we have seen is courteous at the least, and we do see them mentioned a lot more then the presumably dozens of client states within the Hierarchy. They are probably the biggest one. It's not like they are second class citizens, the whole idea came from Volus themselves. They DO get the first class of citizenship and have the exact same opportunities in achieving further ranks. Plus, as the official sources say...
    The turians left the volus government independent. The Hierarchy is content to let them rule themselves as they wish, so long as they pay their taxes and contribute auxiliary units to the turian military. The volus will support the turians in any war they might pursue, and vice-versa.
    The volus government is known as the Vol Protectorate. Rather than being a fully sovereign government in its own right, the Protectorate is a client state of the Turian Hierarchy. In return for falling under the protective umbrella of the turian military, the volus pay a tax to the Hierarchy, as well as deferring to the turians in all foreign policy matters and providing auxiliary troops to the turian armed forces. They still maintain an embassy on the Citadel, making them an associate species of the Council, though they currently share their embassy with the elcor.

...it sounds a hell of a lot more fair then the pseudo-intendured servitude deal that the Drell have with the Hanar, or the straight up slavery the Quarians created the Geth for, or whatever shit the batarians are running in their backyard. And it wasn't coerced out of them either, as say, under the threat of extinction (Hanar/Drell). They became a client race out of their free will. They ASKED it.

Face it, you can't just stand how much more enlightened the turians are in comparison to any other race in the galaxy. They didn't just make a meritocracy WORK, they made it the most successful system in the galaxy, where other races are voluntarily joining in. I don't see anyone waiting in line to become the next client race for the humanity. Though the Rachni and maybe the Geth are showing interest in becoming the next client race for Shepard.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Man, I'd like to see a Rachni on the council. They are awesomely terrifying.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

That actually has me curious as to how the Rachni got around during the Rachni Wars. [strike]Did they commandeer Salarian vessels, or do t[/strike]They have their own means of interstellar travel, [strike]If the latter,[/strike] but I wonder what their "ships" looked like: were they constructed as standard or are they more akin to Tyranid bio-hives?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    delroland wrote: »

That actually has me curious as to how the Rachni got around during the Rachni Wars. Did they commandeer Salarian vessels, or do they have their own means of interstellar travel? If the latter, I wonder what their "ships" looked like: were they constructed as standard or are they more akin to Tyranid bio-hives?

It's mentioned in ME2 that ships bearing a resemblance to ancient Rachni designs have been spotted, so it seems that they must build their own.

Whatever it was, presumably everything now looks like the Normandy, since it's Shepard approved!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rachni evolve new humanoid forms

Queen thanks Shepard personally

Thousands dead

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010

That actually has me curious as to how the Rachni got around during the Rachni Wars. [strike]Did they commandeer Salarian vessels, or do t[/strike]They have their own means of interstellar travel, [strike]If the latter,[/strike] but I wonder what their "ships" looked like: were they constructed as standard or are they more akin to Tyranid bio-hives?

As a whole the Rachni fleets were able to match/exceed the fleets of pre-Krogan pre-Turian Citadel, so they probably had all the same basic ship classes then the other races. They had mastered Mass Effect technology too, or learned it after the relay to them was opened (otherwise they would not have been a threat in the first place since they could have never gotten to Citadel Space).

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

As a whole the Rachni fleets were able to match/exceed the fleets of pre-Krogan pre-Turian Citadel, so they probably had all the same basic ship classes then the other races. They had mastered Mass Effect technology too, or learned it after the relay to them was opened (otherwise they would not have been a threat in the first place since they could have never gotten to Citadel Space).
    They wer already indoctrinated by the time the relay was opened (how Sovereign predicted that I don't know) so they were either already spacefaring or Sovereign uplifted them like the salarians did the krogan.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think DarkCrawler likes turians more than -Tal likes Cerberus. D:
    Whatever it was, presumably everything now looks like the Normandy, since it's Shepard approved!

I hope we never see anything that looks like the Normandy again. Its sweet design is lessened when the passenger liner from ME Galaxy and whatever that ship Gatatog Uvenk rides in on resemble it.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    what did you take ducks, explosive drone or assault drone

Sorry for not responding to this earlier. Been crazy busy with school.

Initially, I went Assault Drone, but toward the end of the game I re-spec'd into Explosive because more often than not, it was dying before I could toss an Incinerate and throw it out again anyway. But to be honest? They're both probably just as effective. On lower difficulties, I might give the edge to Assault Drone, because it'll actually live long enough to do work, but on Insanity, Explosive probably wins out. That was my experience, anyway.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Rachni evolve new humanoid forms

Queen thanks Shepard personally

Thousands dead

Rachni romance confirmed in ME3.
    Sorry, I had to do it again.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think DarkCrawler likes turians more than -Tal likes Cerberus. D:

Yes, but MY like is based on facts and reality. The benevolence, competence and maturity of the Turian Hierarchy is clearly demonstrated throughout the Mass Effect world, even though they don't brag about the multitude of their accomplishments half as much as the Alliance brags about the most minor pseudo-achievement...

...while Cerberus talks the talk but gets two dozen of it's personnel killed while trying to walk the walk.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wyborn wrote: »

They wer already indoctrinated by the time the relay was opened (how Sovereign predicted that I don't know) so they were either already spacefaring or Sovereign uplifted them like the salarians did the krogan.

I don't know, I mean the Rachni lines in ME2 weren't really thought out, they never mention the reapers, and more importantly, a race that can spit acid are actually peace loving hippies? Then why did they evolve the ability to do it?

I don't know man, the war seem to happen before Sovereign tried the Relay, the war hardly advances the cause of the reapers :/

TheOrange on
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TheOrange wrote: »
    Guys, do you think, like 100 years after ME3 events, that the world can go through a series of events that make it the same world regardless of choices in ME and ME2?

Because the way it is right now its like a snowball effect; choices carry on. This makes the world less static with every new game, will this force the IP to end with ME3? Or will there be a war where a new multi-race council has to be in place? Would the Rachni have a small presence regardless of choice? (Another queen egg 'could' have survived).

I can live with playing some one who isn't Shep, I'd hate it, but I'd live with it.

I think I'm really looking forward to seeing where Mass Effect goes after ME3. Don't get me wrong, I liked playing as Shepard, but I think it's going to be a really good thing to get away from him/her after ME3. Shepard's story is going to be completely played out, and we can explore other facets of the universe as someone else.

Also, it would be really nice if Bioware could make a game where the protagonist isn't "the chosen one" and you aren't tasked with saving all of existence. There are ways to make a good rpg that don't involve that formula. Exploring galactic politics, conflict, and intrigue could make for an awesome game and it wouldn't need to involve a plot to annihilate galactic life.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know, the Claymore is considerably less useful on the 360. I can't turn and perform the reload trick at the same time, which severely limits how well it can be used against enemies that move (which is the vast majority).

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ethereal wrote: »
    TheOrange wrote: »

Also, it would be really nice if Bioware could make a game where the protagonist isn't "the chosen one" and you aren't tasked with saving all of existence. There are ways to make a good rpg that don't involve that formula. Exploring galactic politics, conflict, and intrigue could make for an awesome game and it wouldn't need to involve a plot to annihilate galactic life.

Totally agree with this. Saving the galaxy is fun, but I wouldn't mind a more subtle plot either, with perhaps a bigger focus on the world of Mass Effect itself and its characters rather than some apocalyptic looming super threat that you, against all odds, have to defeat

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    God Overlord was good.

I never had Mass Effect themed dreams involving violence till I played Overlord. Then I had nightmares about rampant AIs for like a week.

PL*KRRSSHH*SE MAKE IT STO*RRKKSSSTT*

Nuzak on
This discussion has been closed.