As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castlevania HoD - I'm interested in this!

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Walt wrote: »
    I really like this game, but I despise the general community. It's impossible to get a game going, really. I have yet to beat level 5 because people either bail before we finish or want to do hard mode (which I can't get to yet). I mean, I get it... but if anyone here wants to help me get there, I'd appreciate it. I play Johnathon, which is tough in itself...

You can hit me up later tonight (9:00 PM EST) and I can help you through normal and hard, my XBL tag is Top Hat Panda.

Thanks. I'll start randomly sending out invites here. XBL tag is pittfurg

DietarySupplement on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Thats why I have so many.

Thinking about doing some Chpt 5 Hard runs tonight if ayone else had the same idea. I can only get 2 of the 3 purple chests, and I really want my second Yast. Plus I need to kill a boss by.... the merge move. (Stupid morning brain)

And if anyone feels like getting infected so I can kill you for an achievement, that would be dandy.

I'd really like to get those two achievements as well.

SteevL on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SteevL wrote: »

Thinking about doing some Chpt 5 Hard runs tonight if ayone else had the same idea. I can only get 2 of the 3 purple chests, and I really want my second Yast. Plus I need to kill a boss by.... the merge move. (Stupid morning brain)

And if anyone feels like getting infected so I can kill you for an achievement, that would be dandy.

You want to try tonight?
    I really like this game, but I despise the general community. It's impossible to get a game going, really. I have yet to beat level 5 because people either bail before we finish or want to do hard mode (which I can't get to yet). I mean, I get it... but if anyone here wants to help me get there, I'd appreciate it. I play Johnathon, which is tough in itself...

Add KAYLE SOLO and send an invite if you see me on. I can guarantee help through everything excpet Hard Drac. He still has a bad habbit of beating me down.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll be around the same time as Walt if you need help getting through the normals. GT in sig.

IvanIssacs on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Played this a bunch over the weekend. Finally went online, which was *kind of* fun, I guess? After a bunch of not finding teams, I set the thing to "custom match" (aka local match - why call it custom when you can only change one setting?) and it found a team right away. But they were really geared people who I think wanted to run Drac Hard over and over. We ran through all the chapters on hard (I think I was holding everyone back since I was only up to chapter 1 hard), but I think they were talking about me and the other guy playing Charlotte. I don't know, because I couldn't freaking hear the damn voice chat over the loud music and there seems to be no way to turn them up. But I heard things along the lines of "not wanting to be a jerk and kick them" and "Shanoa screwed up" (seriously, if you don't want to go into the boss room, don't stand in front of the mirror!). But, we did get to Dracula and killed him a few times, so I got a bunch of awesome gear. So that's nice I guess. Even though Charlotte and I didn't have crazy run shoes and never made it to his room until they were already on phase 2 -_- I really need to at least get some Mercury Shoes...

Also, screw you game for making Shanoa's weapons such a crappy drop rate. I'm sick of farming Chapter 4 & 5 and not having anything drop (I've gotten *one* of the stone fist things, that's it).

Decided to play some Charlotte too since I could gear her with all the stuff I've been collecting on Shanoa :D Tried Soma too but I had no weapons which just made it painful... he took no damage but also *did* no damage... is there a good weapon I can farm/buy for him early? I bought one of those more expensive swords, which does ok, but it's still not great.. or maybe I need to farm some better souls? In any case, Charlotte is fun. It's a little crazy how powerful she gets once you get a decent number of spells for her. Farming her spells is a pain in the ass though, ugg... I wish the success rate was higher. Don't know how many stages I ran out of time just farming spells (not that it mattered, this was normal, I don't need that many of the drops anymore, but I would have liked to kill Drac that one time... stupid Dark Inferno, that spell can go to hell).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Concerning Ch. 5 Purple Chests:
    I'm assuming you can get the one on the far right where you just have to drop down from the top, so the purple chest you can't get is either behind the flame pillar on the left or in that hallway at the right clocktower?
    For the flame pillar one you can either use puppet master soul as Soma to safely get across, Sonic Strike/Roll as Jonathan, let the Disc Armor knock you across and then knock you back across after you get the chest (let him throw his disc, then stand between him and his disc so when he pulls it back it hits you from behind and knocks you foward), or use a healing item (or Healing as Charlotte) and slide through the fire during your invincibility frames (there is a Grimoire just below the flame pillar so you can restock potions).

For the one in the clocktower, you can just jump from the clockhand if it's in the correct position, jumpkick off a Harpy or Dullahan, repeatedly bounce off a yorick skull as Soma, or use the Medusa Head gliding trick as Soma (drop down into the clockroom from where the blue chest is, then rapidly press the button the Medusa Head soul is bound to while holding left and you should easily glide over to the room without dropping down too much).

I won't be home to be online for the next few days, but if you try for the Poetic Justice achievement, remember that killing someone who is controlled by an Imp counts, so you don't have to go fight Dracula for it. Just go to normal Ch. 3 and go up to the top and have the person who is to be controlled put on crappy armor at the nearby Grimoire.

Lars on
    edited August 2010
    Lars - It's the high up one, right corner of Death. I have 0 luck jump kicking to that for some reason. I can head jump to damn nearr everything else in this game, but that one area just doesn't want me there.

The rest I get pretty easy.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Decided to play some Charlotte too since I could gear her with all the stuff I've been collecting on Shanoa :D Tried Soma too but I had no weapons which just made it painful... he took no damage but also *did* no damage... is there a good weapon I can farm/buy for him early? I bought one of those more expensive swords, which does ok, but it's still not great.. or maybe I need to farm some better souls? In any case, Charlotte is fun. It's a little crazy how powerful she gets once you get a decent number of spells for her. Farming her spells is a pain in the ass though, ugg... I wish the success rate was higher. Don't know how many stages I ran out of time just farming spells (not that it mattered, this was normal, I don't need that many of the drops anymore, but I would have liked to kill Drac that one time... stupid Dark Inferno, that spell can go to hell).

I've had a bit of success wearing a bunch of LCK gear while farming the last bit of spells I need. At least farming Dark Inferno/Hellfire isn't like farming Heal.

Death is being a stingy with his robes. That bullshit still hasn't dropped, but I've seen countless Yats so far.

IvanIssacs on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I bought this over the weekend and I'm enjoying it.

I'm also having trouble deciding who I want to play. I keep changing my mind between Soma (I love the Handgun), Johnathan (Subweapons!) and Shanoa (Magnes is fun).

gjaustin on
    edited August 2010
    BTW, anyone have recommendations on what spells to use for Charlotte? Right now I'm using Heal, Deathscythe, Acidic Bubbles and Fire Blast (I think that's the name, the one that comes from the fire demons). Are Dracula's spells any good? Or are there any other good ones I should be using?

And yeah, Heal was a bitch to level. I found an ok video on youtube that gave a decent way to do it though. Also I found they tend to heal twice in a row if you attack them during the first heal (not always, but at least 50% of the time) which helped. I still need to finish leveling Deathscythe, but at least that one is pretty easy since Death fly around laughing and shooting at you about 30 seconds into the level.

Also, anyone have any tricks for farming Dark Inferno? I swear I keep getting hit by those damn things - it doesn't actually block them like every other spell :(

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    working backwards: Duck and absorb, jump the 2nd, duck and absorb the 3rd, jump the 4th. You can actually jump and shield the 2/4 ones but the timing can be a bit tricky. I usually only attempt to absorb 1, 2, and 4 (jump over it turn around and shield on the way down).

As far as spells to use: I use Heal (helpful when learning stages or just running past shit), acidic bubbles (for multi-hitting purposes like stage 2 boss or giant armor knights), phase beam (or whatever it's called from the green zombies... being able to shoot and move at same time = win), and energy flow (from the witches). Energy flow deals a lot of damage to a single target and it homes. You can cheese a lot of shit with it.

Deathscythe is way too expensive to use so I dropped it. Fire blast is alright replacement for fireball, but is (IMO) inferior to the phase beam that can hit 2-3 times and move while casting. Range sucks but there aren't many situations where you need a long range attack like that (and energy flow covers it).

aBlank on
    edited August 2010
    When he casts them, duck the first one and hit your shield, jump over the next one and repeat step one. You don't grab them all but you don't take any damage.

IvanIssacs on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    working backwards: Duck and absorb, jump the 2nd, duck and absorb the 3rd, jump the 4th. You can actually jump and shield the 2/4 ones but the timing can be a bit tricky. I usually only attempt to absorb 1, 2, and 4 (jump over it turn around and shield on the way down).

As far as spells to use: I use Heal (helpful when learning stages or just running past shit), acidic bubbles (for multi-hitting purposes like stage 2 boss or giant armor knights), phase beam (or whatever it's called from the green zombies... being able to shoot and move at same time = win), and energy flow (from the witches). Energy flow deals a lot of damage to a single target and it homes. You can cheese a lot of shit with it.

Deathscythe is way too expensive to use so I dropped it. Fire blast is alright replacement for fireball, but is (IMO) inferior to the phase beam that can hit 2-3 times and move while casting. Range sucks but there aren't many situations where you need a long range attack like that (and energy flow covers it).
    The flame blast (or whatever) is awesome in Chapter 3 to hit Menace in the heart from behind the gold platform. You can fire it from the same place Soma stands to shoot rockets at him. One of the rare occasions you really want the range.

Walt on
    edited August 2010

You want to try tonight?

Sure! Not sure what time I'll be on, but probably not until 7 PM EST at the earliest.

SteevL on
    edited August 2010
    Flame spells doing something like double damage against Menace. If you time it right you can backdash cancel a bunch of them and hit the heart for 250+ damage a shot.

I typically use Piercing Beam, Heal, Deathscythe and Flame Shot. I'll switch it up depending on the boss but it's usually that setup.

IvanIssacs on
    edited August 2010

You want to try tonight?

Sure! Not sure what time I'll be on, but probably not until 7 PM EST at the earliest.

Sounds good.

Capt Howdy on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Walt wrote: »

You can hit me up later tonight (9:00 PM EST) and I can help you through normal and hard, my XBL tag is Top Hat Panda.

Thanks. I'll start randomly sending out invites here. XBL tag is pittfurg

Sign up for the metatag listed in the OP. I usually try to find people on there before I start a game.

Zaylenz on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, feel free to add me to the list as well: WarlockSoL

Warlock82 on
    edited August 2010

I'll send you a friend request tonight. It's always a better idea to online with people who know the score.

Capt Howdy on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'll send you a friend request tonight. It's always a better idea to online with people who know the score.

Well, then you're not going to enjoy your time with me! My Johnathon sucks!

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010

Yeah, he takes a lot of time to level up. I started off with Jon and switched to Alucard so I could beat the hard levels easier. Getting the master ring really helps.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010

Yeah, he takes a lot of time to level up. I started off with Jon and switched to Alucard so I could beat the hard levels easier. Getting the master ring really helps.

I wish I had bought that after that full hard runthrough I did - I don't think I had enough but I was close. I spent it on other crap though (like a sword for soma). I really need to level Shanoa's spells some more and it goes painfully slow.

Warlock82 on
    edited August 2010
    It's not as bad as leveling Jonathan. 4 spells versus the 12 subweapons he gets.

IvanIssacs on
    edited August 2010
    I swear I make 200k easy off 3 or 4 Chapt 6 hard Runs.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    It's not as bad as leveling Jonathan. 4 spells versus the 12 subweapons he gets.

And, of course, you have to find 11 of the weapons first. I finally got the kunai the other day. Levelled it up to 4 pretty quickly.

SteevL on
    edited August 2010
    I gave up trying to find the rest of Jon's weapons. I'm working on maxing out Charlotte. Running CH6 Normal repeatedly doesn't seem as bad as spamming the shit out of subweapons for levels.

IvanIssacs on
    edited August 2010
    Leveling all of Jonathan's subweapons takes at least 15 hours of pure grinding in Survival mode with Astral/Mastery ring. Probably took me more like 20.

Walt on
    edited August 2010

Can you help me with this, too? :lol:

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    I mainly get Alucard Gear/Demon mail/God Gear now. That stuff sells for a pretty penny.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    I gave up trying to find the rest of Jon's weapons. I'm working on maxing out Charlotte. Running CH6 Normal repeatedly doesn't seem as bad as spamming the shit out of subweapons for levels.

I was surprised by how fast I could max her out. I mean, I played for maybe 3-4 hours with her last night (granted, this was with decent gear already) and I got many of her spells maxed already. The ones off Drac are going to be tough, but other than that it's not too hard (and thankfully Death is nice and comes to me :D). It does get frustrating though when you spend like 5-10 mins on a single enemy trying to learn a spell off them, esp. when they don't always cast it. But it's *such* a nice feeling knowing I can just kill those damn headless armor guys now :D

Warlock82 on
    edited August 2010
    I blew my wad on the mirror curisass for Jon; I didn't earn a ton of cash in my one run at Drac.

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    Is farming for all the Martial Arts scrolls for Jonathan as painful as I think it might be?

gjaustin on
    edited August 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Is farming for all the Martial Arts scrolls for Jonathan as painful as I think it might be?

Not at all; that's the one thing I actually completed with Jonathon easily.

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010

Then is there some trick to make them more likely to appear? Because I'm in Chapter 5 and only have the Knee one.

gjaustin on
    edited August 2010
    I blew my wad on the mirror curisass for Jon; I didn't earn a ton of cash in my one run at Drac.

Hard run? My advice is to leave all the treasures alone until you kill every living creature axcept Drac and get that truffle. Then Profit!

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    What does the truffle do exactly? Someone was always running back to grab one after we killed drac last night.

IvanIssacs on
    edited August 2010
    If the list in the op is correct and I didn't misread, +12 luck. Good stuff when opening chests.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010

Then is there some trick to make them more likely to appear? Because I'm in Chapter 5 and only have the Knee one.

Well there's one chest in particular in chapter 4 that always seems to give me one, something like 80% of the time; I've gotten knee, roll, and uppercut from it. I can't explain without looking at a map but it's in the "pantry" area of the map...

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    If the list in the op is correct and I didn't misread, +12 luck. Good stuff when opening chests.

Too bad Charlotte can't grab one. Thanks for not having the drop kick thing.

IvanIssacs on
    edited August 2010

Can you help me with this, too? :lol:

I'm online now actually if you want to roll the game.

Walt on