As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stuck In a Hole (in Chile)

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »
    FAQ wrote: »
    how long until the gay sex

a day and a half

Alternatively: 35 minutes ago

"Subsurface drilling has already commenced."

kaneklapqo6.gif

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    thank god they didn't crash in the andes instead

TOO LATE PIP

THAT REFERENCE WAS ALREADY MADE

seppuku is the only honorable way out now.

you can't expect me to be reading things

PiptheFair on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    This is like the perfect recipe for some scifi original, all we need are weird alien monsters prowling around in the darkness.

Seriously though I get claustrophobic in traffic, that is insane.

Fortunately, the fact that they're miners makes it highly unlikely any of them are claustrophobic.

Peccavi on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I bet if these guys were Japanese they wouldn't be stuck in that hole.

The hole would be made for them.

this didn't get enough credit

Langly on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You should always leave some picks at the surface for when you trap miners. Hopefully the beer will hold out and nobody will get a strange mood.

BlueDestiny on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You should always leave some picks at the surface for when you trap miners. Hopefully the beer will hold out and nobody will get a strange mood.

Carlos made a curious chair out of Juan's bones.

jackal on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait.. I might have missed it, but WHY will it take 4 months to get them out?

skettios on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    skettios wrote: »

Football season

Hunter on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Being miners, I have to think some of them have pretty big shoulders too. I wonder if that will be a problem.

Plus they're 700m underground. Can you imagine being hoisted up a shaft for 700 meters that you barely fit through? Gives me the willies.

I was just thinking the same thing. Worse than being stuck 700m down? Being stuck half way up.

I imagine it's probably horrifically delicate work, lest they risk collapsing more of the mine, potentially on top of the survivors.

I recall seeing somewhere that it might not take that long, but I suspect they're being generous with the ballpark. Better to say 4 months and get them out in 3 than to say 3 months and take 4.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    This is like the perfect recipe for some scifi original, all we need are weird alien monsters prowling around in the darkness.

Seriously though I get claustrophobic in traffic, that is insane.

Fortunately, the fact that they're miners makes it highly unlikely any of them are claustrophobic.

It would be pretty funny if one of them were though.

"Damn it miguel, what the hell is your problem? How did you even get through mining university?"

Vic on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Being miners, I have to think some of them have pretty big shoulders too. I wonder if that will be a problem.

Plus they're 700m underground. Can you imagine being hoisted up a shaft for 700 meters that you barely fit through? Gives me the willies.

I was just thinking the same thing. Worse than being stuck 700m down? Being stuck half way up.

I imagine it's probably horrifically delicate work, lest they risk collapsing more of the mine, potentially on top of the survivors.

I recall seeing somewhere that it might not take that long, but I suspect they're being generous with the ballpark. Better to say 4 months and get them out in 3 than to say 3 months and take 4.

Aah ok.
    This is super sad :(

skettios on
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cards? DS games? Whatever, I think these guys are going to be world class Dwarf Fortress players by the end.

Also, this situation makes the Mars isolation experiment seem like wasted funding.

Red Raevyn on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Send these guys down a few laptops and copies of SC2 (with lan)
    When they emerge in 4 months, send them straight to korea.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I bet if these guys were Japanese they wouldn't be stuck in that hole.

The hole would be made for them.

this didn't get enough credit

:^:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tef wrote: »
    Our biggest refuge chambers can hold 50 people with enough food and water for about a month. The real problem is oxygen. Luckily they've bored some holes down to them, otherwise they'd be F'd in the A. without the big extractor fans pumping fresh air down there, it'd be mighty stuffy down there.

So after reading this thread, i went an had a look through our emergency response stuff here at work. It seems I was so utterly wrong about our chambers.

They can hold 30 people max and only have enough food, water and oxygen scrubbing equipment for 2-3 weeks, tops D:

We have the top of the range equipment too, so I'd imagine that the chilean equipment isn't up to our standard. Fuck that.

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Send these guys down a few laptops and copies of SC2 (with lan)
    When they emerge in 4 months, send them straight to korea.

Jokes on you, SC2 doesn't have LAN support.

Blizzard doesn't care about trapped miners!

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

It appears to be one of those things where it sounds like it should be simple, easy and fast, but turns out it isn't. Like covering a hole spewing oil underwater.

I hated getting stuck at work 45 minutes past closing. These guys better get free, instant retirement when they get out.

Lux on
    edited August 2010
    When they get down there they'll just find one morbidly obese man that is very good at impressions and 32 sets of skeletons.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    trapped with berk, teefs, sabermau and a tablet pc

i will witness the creation of the greatest tribute to zizek ever made

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    why dont they just fill it with water and let them swim up

duh

redfenix on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zoel wrote: »
    trapped with berk, teefs, sabermau and a tablet pc

i will witness the creation of the greatest tribute to zizek ever made

sounds like my idea of a good time

Beasteh on
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I bet they make a reality/game show out of this event.

Trapped in a mine with 5 other people, they must work together through different challenges. At the end of each week they vote one person off who gets sent deeper into the mine, never to be seen again.

MereHappenstance on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would ask for my PSP and a portable generator.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • klokklok Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Someone told me kindles have a battery life a month, that wouldn't be a bad call.

klok on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They should use the escape tunnel to send them some women, start the mole people society.

Arrath on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mole people and their societies already exist in places like Las Vegas and New York.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited August 2010
    I cut off a mole while shaving. now it scabs over until I cut it off again then bleeds like crazy for a couple hours until it scabs up again

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have one on my left arm. He looked like an Ernie so that is what I call him now.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

It's also that boring a hole that wide is a shitload harder that a little 4 inch hole.

It's like when you drill through a thick piece of steel.

Your pilot hole is fucking simple cause it's a 4 to 6 mm diameter hole.

The actual hole you need to drill takes a heck of a lot longer than that.

Blake T on
    edited August 2010
    plus drilling it so the mine doesn't collapse anymore than it already has.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blake T wrote: »

It's also that boring a hole that wide is a shitload harder that a little 4 inch hole.

It's like when you drill through a thick piece of steel.

Your pilot hole is fucking simple cause it's a 4 to 6 mm diameter hole.

The actual hole you need to drill takes a heck of a lot longer than that.

How many of these prissy homps do you actually think know what a pilot hole is or have any experience with a drill press?

Hunter on
    edited August 2010
    a drill press with many lives trapped underneath and instead of a steel sheet its crumbly unstable rock

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i wish superman were real

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    35inch waist?

FFFUUUUUCCKKK....

I wear a size 50R suit!

Casually Hardcore on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    try to stay out of collapsed mines, then

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    exist wrote: »
    i wish superman were real

Shit, even Kitty Pride would be more than adequate for this.

I demand we get to researching phase-through technology.

Lux on
    edited August 2010
    35inch waist?

FFFUUUUUCCKKK....

I wear a size 50R suit!

Don't worry, they have a few hammers down there. Your friends will be able to help you out.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    seems like some of you guessed correctly

http://kotaku.com/5625207/trapped-chilean-miners-get-psps

Franko on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jesus, the comments on that article. What a fucking cesspool.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well....it's kotaku...so

ya

Franko on