As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Pokemon League (UPDATE: HALL OF FAME!)

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd recommend SoulSilver as well. I've made the decision on which version to get based solely on what 'mon is on the cover, so you may want to take that with a grain (or pound) of salt, but I think Lugia looks much better than that giant rainbow-colored turkey. But YMMV.

And as for the Elite Four: Nnnooooooo! I dislike going up against dragon-types. I had such a hard time with Claire and then Lance. Fortunately I had the feeling there'd be a dragon master in this so I raised a substitute for my team that can handle 'em, but if that one goes down I'm going to have a tough time. Ah well, if it happens I'll be putting up a good fight...depending on your definition of good. Maybe it'll just be me trying to not get wiped out. :P

Keep in mind, if you swap someone in to face 1 Elite 4 member, they're in your team for the duration. So it better be able to handle that iron 'mon challenge. :P

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There have been some... interesting updates for tonight.

First off, the immoveable object, formerly a gym leader has been chosen as the successor to former elite four member Lance, after having been put to shame by The prince, our first elite four member. He has chosen his successor to bo the immoveable object based on his skill and accomplishments on th battle feild as lance retires (for now at least)

Also, I'm having some tech difficulties with pictures, and it is taking a bit to get them up online and displaying on the first post (and when they are showing, they are all in varying sizes) so please bear with us while we sort all that junk out. some pictures are still missing dues to the respective leaders not sending me stuff, but they are just a small minority of the total group.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    ok, so there will be 2 updates tonight. the one that just went up is the E4 info, and some pictures.
    there will be annother update a bit later tonight (or maybe tomorrow...) with as many other pictures as I can wrangle.

EDIT: updated with 2 new pictures. more to come soon.
    I'll also soon have a picture of the distinctive armbands that we all will be wearing. you'd be supprised how hard it is to find a color that stands out from most cosplays and clothing...

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    Third update of the night.

We now have our own hashtag for our tweets, that we want you challengers to use too.
    Tag your PPL related tweets with #PaxPokemon to tell the world of your acomplishments over various gym leaders, Team Rocket grunts, or even the progress on training your team. All our tweets from here on out will be tagged with that as well, and we hope you tag likewise so we can find your tweets and congratulate you.

thespiffyneostar on
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm super excited for the next few reveals. Should really get some people interested in taking on 8 gym leaders and than fight the fabulous E4 :)

Gameshark on
  • LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oooh, so will the Elite Four challenges actually be back-to-back? I hadn't considered that, or having to have my team locked in place. Hmm...something to think about.

Lumenadducere on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oooh, so will the Elite Four challenges actually be back-to-back? I hadn't considered that, or having to have my team locked in place. Hmm...something to think about.

That would make the Elite 4 travel together, or placed on each floor of the convention center so you take the mysterious stair/escalator ride up to the next level, oh and an Enforcer will have to block off the path you just took so you can't go back :P

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited August 2010

yeah, ideally you should face them with all one team, and in order, but we can't enforce that you keep hte same team (we can make sure you do the order right.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    Front post is updated with badges. I will be updating the place holders with real badges once I get them. I also will be adding placeholders, since I missed a few spots.

EDIT: also fixing the HUGE sizes of some stuff...

EDIT EDIT: fixed.

thespiffyneostar on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just because some of us are slightly incompetent with bbcode does not mean this won't be fun. :P

Heleor on
    edited August 2010
    This is a bump.
    update coming tonight, and the SECRET SUPPRISE UPDATE is coming tomorrow.

any guesses as what tomorrow's awesome supprise is?

thespiffyneostar on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is a bump.

You finally spell surprise correctly?

;p

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited August 2010
    More promotions!? =D =D

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • missyjeanmissyjean Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay,apologies for asking any questions that have already been answered.Got tired of sifting through the pages of this thread.

First of all,I'm cosplaying as a team rocket grunt. Is there something that sets the "infiltration" team rocket members from anyone who may just be cosplaying regularly as one?Or perhaps I'm just doomed to have tons of random people wanting to wi-fi battle me?

Also,how hard are these gym battles going to be? I have a team,but I have never competitively battled before. I have never once paid any mind to EV/IV stuff.I'd really like to be able to win badges still...=(

missyjean on
    edited August 2010
    Question answering time!
    missyjean wrote: »
    Okay,apologies for asking any questions that have already been answered.Got tired of sifting through the pages of this thread.

First of all,I'm cosplaying as a team rocket grunt. Is there something that sets the "infiltration" team rocket members from anyone who may just be cosplaying regularly as one?Or perhaps I'm just doomed to have tons of random people wanting to wi-fi battle me?

Also,how hard are these gym battles going to be? I have a team,but I have never competitively battled before. I have never once paid any mind to EV/IV stuff.I'd really like to be able to win badges still...=(
    No, rocket members are allowed, or better put encouraged, to participate in the league and battle agains gym leaders in a lwa abiding manner. Just know, we WON'T be doing battles over WiFi because it won't work at PAX...
    The gym leaders each have varying difficulty, but the elite four will be the toughest. some gym leaders will have fewer pokemon than others. EV/IV training is only done by some leaders, even through to the elite four, so you don't need to do that to be able to win.
    This is a bump.

;p
    suprise! I just did.
    I'm a physics major, not an english major :P
    Matev wrote: »
    More promotions!? =D =D
    maybe...

also, going to add in the last Elite four member now!

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    This is a bump.

;p
    suprise! I just did.!

So close, yet still wrong! You really need firefox to underline those pesky words for you. :P

Heleor on
    edited August 2010
    UPDATE COMPLETE:
    ADDED : Elite 4 member #4 The illuminati
    also, a GYM LEADER (who I missed, on my own fault) eva lucian. go look up that bio and read it, its a good one.

note: eva lucian is not the secret suRprise, that's coming tomorrow

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    UPDATE: evalucian have PICTURES, featuring zombie, Team magma outfit, and piratey headband!

also not the secret surprise.

thespiffyneostar on
  • lagomorphiclagomorphic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is the surprise a Champion? :D

lagomorphic on
    edited August 2010
    You'll never know.... :P

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • LiberaltugboatLiberaltugboat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Less then 4 days left... its crunch time! Currently my team is in the low 30s, i have 7 badges, my trade evolves are done, and i only have 1 more pokemon to catch for the team. Do you guys think i can be ready in time?

Liberaltugboat on
  • Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Totally possible. Find a good place to grind to 50 and you will be golden.

Blackfox138 on
    edited August 2010
    Totally possible. Find a good place to grind to 50 and you will be golden.

The route right in front of Mt. Silver is my recommendation if you can get to 16 badges. Shy of that, Victory Road would be good as well.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited August 2010
    UPDATING THE FRONT PAGE, due to unforseen circumstances...

this is also not the secret surprise...

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    My my, what an unfortunate......accident....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited August 2010
    you're still on thin ice Giovanni... watch yourself.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    you're still on thin ice Giovanni... watch yourself.

Pfft, that's just creepy, plus I'm no narcissist.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • reekuzareekuza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm ridiculously excited for this. Just wondering, since we have the minimum number of Gym Leaders/Elite 4 are you still looking for understudies/extras? I would be down if you are.

Also are the GLs/Elite4 allowed to battle each other to get badges as well?

reekuza on
    edited August 2010
    reekuza wrote: »
    I'm ridiculously excited for this. Just wondering, since we have the minimum number of Gym Leaders/Elite 4 are you still looking for understudies/extras? I would be down if you are.

Also are the GLs/Elite4 allowed to battle each other to get badges as well?

We're pretty much committed for gym leaders, but we're definitely looking for people to help us advertise! We will have a bunch of fliers ready for the event, so if you want to help publicize just give us a line.

We prefer gym leaders not to battle each other for badges - it's kind of cheating since all the gym leaders know each others' teams and levels - and will know where everyone else is at most times. We prefer to save the prizes for the actual challengers!

Heleor on
  • WhitewolfjmWhitewolfjm Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ok so I had never played Pokemon before until early this month when I purchased Heart Gold since it seems that alot of people play Pokemon at PAX.

I had no idea that Pokemon's battle system was this deep!

Basically my question is, do I need to have a bunch of different teams built to try and take on the Guild leaders and the Elite four, or is there a chance that a team of different typed pokemon could put up a fight without having to min-max to beat the themes?

Thanks,
    Whitewolfjm

Whitewolfjm on
    3DS Friend Code: 0275-8881-6723
    3DS Friend Name: Whitewolfjm
    Pokemon Y In-game name: Superman
    edited August 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    We prefer gym leaders not to battle each other for badges - it's kind of cheating since all the gym leaders know each others' teams and levels - and will know where everyone else is at most times. We prefer to save the prizes for the actual challengers!

Levels? If we challenge a GL and let's say we both have HG/SS, what levels their team is wouldn't matter would it? Since we'd be doing flat battles?

reekuza on
    edited August 2010
    QUESTIONS ANSWERING TIME (note to self, make an FAQ for next year...)

Q: do I need different teams to battle the different leaders?
    no, not really. sure, you could stack on an extra of a certain type to give yourself an upper hand, but it shouldn't be required.
    Q: am I ALLOWED different teams to battle different leaders?
    we don't have a way of enforcing you using the same team, so you're welcome to either use the same team, or switch up each time if you want.
    Q: what levels should my pokemon be?
    We'll be using flat battles whenever possible, so if you have a copy of HG/SS and choose to flat battle, then all pokemon ABOVE level 50 get scaled down to level 50 (pokemon won't scale up).

any more quesstions?

thespiffyneostar on
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had no idea that Pokemon's battle system was this deep!

Basically my question is, do I need to have a bunch of different teams built to try and take on the Guild leaders and the Elite four, or is there a chance that a team of different typed pokemon could put up a fight without having to min-max to beat the themes?

Thanks,
    Whitewolfjm

I wouldn't recommend against it. As its been said before, since there will be scaling levels of difficulty between the gym leaders and the ability to rematch them once a day, as long as you have 4 solid Pokemon you'll be fine. Using just your favourites (despite their ratings by the 'pros') will net you a few badges at least. We want you all to get badges and have a blast. It's really only when you hit the Elite 4 when you want to start carefully choosing your mons.
    Levels? If we challenge a GL and let's say we both have HG/SS, what levels their team is wouldn't matter would it? Since we'd be doing flat battles?

We learned (thankfully) that flat battle only brings Pokemon down to level 50 and not up to level 50.
    Example of flat battle:
    Level 75 Gyrados becomes level 50 with level 50 stats.
    Level 35 Beedrill stays level 35.

Best of luck to everyone at the show. Illumination awaits!

Gameshark on
    edited August 2010
    ALSO: I just want to clarify something: gym leaders may be available for battle up to 24 hours before PAX (at Pre-PAX events) and challenging them there will reward you with a badge. Them taking battles then is completely up to them, but it will count towards getting a badge if you beat them.
    as for an ending time to the PPL, it will be midnight sunday night.
    That should give you ample time to face the entirety of the league.

this is also not the sercret surprise.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    Oh sweet. Will there be a notice by which GL will be available and perhaps where for pre-PAX battles?

reekuza on
    edited August 2010
    If you follow the @PAXPokemon twitterfeed, I'm sure you'll get some tidbits of info on there about GL Locations.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited August 2010
    Matev wrote: »
    If you follow the @PAXPokemon twitterfeed, I'm sure you'll get some tidbits of info on there about GL Locations.

yeah, this.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    I personally, while attending the Pre-PAX dinner and TWDT, will not be taking challenges.

Heleor on
    edited August 2010
    THE FINAL MAIN UPDATE TO THE FRONT PAGE IS UP

deploying secret surprise in 3...2...1...

EDIT: one sec... went over the character limit...
    I'm getting rid of some of the stuff in the "archive" portion.

EDIT EDIT: done. it's up.

thespiffyneostar on
  • figelfigel Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I'm planning to challange the league, though I am just a casual pokemon player. My Team is ready, except for a few moves to be payed for at the battle frontier, and I am just now learning about ev training so we'll see how far I get.

Can't wait

figel on
This discussion has been closed.