As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castlevania HoD - I'm interested in this!

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've heard that luck actually lowers your chances of getting the better items in chests.

SteevL on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Luck hurts boss chest drops, but it still does a small increase in the quality of other chest drops.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So it takes me just over 2 minutes to get to dracula with Charlotte on normal. I then spent the remaining 27:30 trying to get a hellfire spell absorb and nada.

27:30 trying to absorb hellfire.

27:30.

aBlank on
    edited August 2010
    Jumping online now.

Capt Howdy on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Was running late. Getting on now.

DietarySupplement on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Might be on later, as a heads up. Kind of a low-level Alucard, though. I mean, my armor is a mirror cuirass and I'm using a flail. Did get to level 5 Hard mode with some help, however.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm around farming spells on ch 6 if any of you bros need a heal spamming charlotte.

IvanIssacs on
    edited August 2010
    Might be on later, as a heads up. Kind of a low-level Alucard, though. I mean, my armor is a mirror cuirass and I'm using a flail. Did get to level 5 Hard mode with some help, however.

Damn, we missed helping you out. I'll add you to my friends list. If you see me on, just send the invite.

Good games SteevL. We didn't hit our goals but I think everyone came out with some good gear. Especially me, Winged Boots FTW!

Sorry I wasn't better help with Hard Drac, he has a bad habit of kicking my ass. Thats why I figured out to get the truffles first; I needed better gear. :)

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I regularly die on Drac. It was good times all the same.

SteevL on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry I had to leave yesterday, ggs all around.

Walt on
    edited August 2010
    I'll probably be on tonight, so anyone needing some help or wanting to grind for gear just hit me up.

Capt Howdy on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow that was so fun last night. Game really clicked for me. I appreciated all the tips you guys threw my way too. And good news, everybody! Sold all those wingtips that kept dropping for me, and got myself a shiny new Master ring.

In one play through of level 2 I leveled the boomerang, holy water, and grenade to level 5. Sick.

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    I probably won't be on tonight. I have to work from 12-9 PM, so jumping into an online game when I get home around 10 PM is rarely a good idea for me.

SteevL on
    edited August 2010
    Jonathon is just becoming fun for me, but dammit I need to figure out to how to increase my magic (heart) total. I'm sure INT/MND gear would help, but much of it is exclusive of STR/Attack rating. Grr...

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    Jonathon is just becoming fun for me, but dammit I need to figure out to how to increase my magic (heart) total. I'm sure INT/MND gear would help, but much of it is exclusive of STR/Attack rating. Grr...
    The three items to gun for that give a good boost to both are Death's Robes (+44 MP, all stats increase) and Simon's Bandanna/Sandals (Str, Attack, Defense, Mind). Use Wing Boots instead of the Sandals if you have them.

For accessories, use Meginglord x2 if you are wearing Berserker Mail or your subweapons aren't maxed. Otherwise, use Chaos Ring and a Sunstone/Moonstone.

These are the very best items for Jonathan. If you can't find Death's Robes, Simon's Plate or Lorica is a decent substitute. If you don't have a Chaos Ring, use another Sunstone or Moonstone. If you don't have Simon's Bandanna or Simon's Sandals play the game more, they are pretty common in Chapter 6 hard and you won't replace them any time soon.

Walt on
    edited August 2010
    I feel kind of proud of myself for soloing Dracula on hard just now. Of course, I was using Alucard with two Yastusunas, but still, I didn't think I'd be able to do it. Too bad all I got from his chest was Foie Gras.

SteevL on
    edited August 2010
    Did he drop some good gear for you? I hear Drac Hard is pretty greedy.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    Before I forget:

A Soma player wearing Berserker Mail solo'd Dracula on Hard Mode in a game I was in.
    Using the Terror Bear.

Walt on
    edited August 2010
    Still though, I appreciate you guys running me through all that last night. Looking forward to doing it again soon.

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Did he drop some good gear for you? I hear Drac Hard is pretty greedy.

Well, as I said, all I got from Drac was Foie Gras, which heals 200 HP. I did do the truffle trick on the level though and got enough stuff to sell off to get the "acquire 1 million dollars" achievement, at least. I just tried another run on normal for the mercury boots to no avail.

SteevL on
    edited August 2010
    Still though, I appreciate you guys running me through all that last night. Looking forward to doing it again soon.

Did you get any good gear?

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    Apparently the chaos rings don't exist. Running ch3 hard repeatedly and ended up with sequin dresses and heart brooches.

IvanIssacs on
    edited August 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Did you get any good gear?

A couple pieces, yeah: I have God's Garb which is nice, and a couple nice accessories (the names and stats escape me) but for sure my Jonathon is leaps and bounds ahead of where he was before. The fact that I was able to pocket 200,000 gold in one night for my ring says enough about how well we did for about 2 hours of play.

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    Oh and more Jonathon stuff: I like how he plays, it's a perfect throwback to classic 'vania games, but at the same time there's some really odd design choices here.

Point in case: the boomerang. Before I started using it, I relied on the knife, axe, and wrecking ball for aerial and ranged attacks. When I found the boomerang I thought it'd be the boomerang from the first games: straight out, straight back, and recoup hearts in the process.

But it only seems to be useful in WIDE OPEN rooms; it arcs down away from Jon, then swoops back up over his head. You can't catch it, but the real pain the ass is that if there's any enemy or platforms in the flight path (and some floors) the path is downright stopped. I think I got it to level 4 or 5 last night; does it ever "evolve" into the boomerang I thought it would be (the "cross" looking one)?

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    Oh and more Jonathon stuff: I like how he plays, it's a perfect throwback to classic 'vania games, but at the same time there's some really odd design choices here.

Point in case: the boomerang. Before I started using it, I relied on the knife, axe, and wrecking ball for aerial and ranged attacks. When I found the boomerang I thought it'd be the boomerang from the first games: straight out, straight back, and recoup hearts in the process.

But it only seems to be useful in WIDE OPEN rooms; it arcs down away from Jon, then swoops back up over his head. You can't catch it, but the real pain the ass is that if there's any enemy or platforms in the flight path (and some floors) the path is downright stopped. I think I got it to level 4 or 5 last night; does it ever "evolve" into the boomerang I thought it would be (the "cross" looking one)?

No, because the cross is a separate weapon. :) It kind of threw me off when I got the boomerang after I got the cross because I'd always used the terms interchangeably.

SteevL on
    edited August 2010
    SteevL wrote: »

No, because the cross is a separate weapon. :) It kind of threw me off when I got the boomerang after I got the cross because I'd always used the terms interchangeably.

See, I looked at the google docs sheet and I saw "boomerang" and "cross" and I thought the boomerang was what we're referring to the cross, and the cross was that super-sub-weapon that makes a cross appear on the screen and nuke all enemies (think: opening of SotN).

Oh well, then. Time to go grind that guy. If I can get that, I think I'm going to roll with the knife, axe, holy water, and cross.

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    See, I looked at the google docs sheet and I saw "boomerang" and "cross" and I thought the boomerang was what we're referring to the cross, and the cross was that super-sub-weapon that makes a cross appear on the screen and nuke all enemies (think: opening of SotN).

Oh well, then. Time to go grind that guy. If I can get that, I think I'm going to roll with the knife, axe, holy water, and cross.
    You will need the wrecking ball for Dracula hard and the Shuriken or Kunai on down+b to do ridiculous burst damage with dash cancelling and kill casks on the puppet master boss fight.

Walt on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It was years before I knew the cross from the original game and several sequels was a cross and not a boomerang. :lol:

I like the boomerang though. You're right that it does require an open room to be truly effective, but it's great for when you have a lot of weaker enemies lined up. Also, enemies don't usually stop the boomerang. That only happens when the enemy has a shield, such as a final guard or axe guard.

CyberJackal on
    edited August 2010
    Walt wrote: »

You will need the wrecking ball for Dracula hard and the Shuriken or Kunai on down+b to do ridiculous burst damage with dash cancelling and kill casks on the puppet master boss fight.

Yeah the wrecking ball is good fun. I love whipping it out on the boss in chapter two. I don't have the shuriken yet, either.

I guess I don't know the answer, but do you get mastery points from just USING the item or KILLING with an item? I think it's the latter, based on my totally unscientific research. I think that's why it was easy to level the ball, since I would unleash it on that boss in chapter two (except I think those dolls are projectiles and not enemies...)

And what the hell is a dash cancel? When did castlevania get so serious business? :P

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    You actually get mastery points simply for using the subweapon and hitting an enemy with it, provided it's not blocked. Basically, if it causes damage.

SteevL on
    edited August 2010
    Walt wrote: »

Yeah the wrecking ball is good fun. I love whipping it out on the boss in chapter two. I don't have the shuriken yet, either.

I guess I don't know the answer, but do you get mastery points from just USING the item or KILLING with an item? I think it's the latter, based on my totally unscientific research. I think that's why it was easy to level the ball, since I would unleash it on that boss in chapter two (except I think those dolls are projectiles and not enemies...)

And what the hell is a dash cancel? When did castlevania get so serious business? :P
    Dash cancel sounds l33t but is actually really simple. Bind a weapon to Down+B, use it, then press LB immediately and you will dash out of the "recovery" part of the move. So for example, you can stand next to an enemy, and press Down+B, LB, Down+B, LB rapidly (in that pattern) and you can throw about 6 rounds of shurikens a second, which does 1000+ damage in a very short time.

Subweapons level every time they deal damage. So you get points for leveling them unless they are blocked or miss completely. This + dash cancel is why Survival Chapter 1 Hard farming with Master and Astral Ring is so effective for Jonathan/Shanoa. Note that some weapons can dash cancel but hit only so many times per second (hit capped), so you can't "rapid fire" them to level them faster (Bible, Beam, Axe/Boomerang/Holy Water to some extent, etc).

Walt on
    edited August 2010
    I'll have to try that when I go back to Jonathan. Thanks for the info Walt.

Capt Howdy on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The giant cross attack (Holy Cross/Grand Cross) is in as a dual crush between two Jonathan's instead of as a sub-weapon or item crash.
    More than likely Julius+Julius and Julius+Jonathan will also cause it.

Lars on
    edited August 2010
    That's... insanely good advice. Can't wait to try it, thanks walt

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    I am thinking about putting together a more comprehensive guide for this game (possibly for OP?), including character-specific advice for farming, best in slot gear, general tactics, boss tutorials, possibly videos of perfect runs with every character on every stage (YouTube can help with that I think). Would anyone give two shits about this?

Walt on
    edited August 2010
    Your advice hasn't been lost on me. Consider me a fan. I feel like I should have my wife bake you some cupcakes or something.

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    I'd be okay with a comprehensive guide. Beats looking at the *shudder* Game FAQs board for HoD.

Maxed out Charlotte last night. I kinda miss the two axes and sword.

IvanIssacs on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This supposedly leaked in a Japanese magazine, giving an unofficial confirmation (assuming it's not fake) of a character that was already heavily speculated due to datamined items and sound files:
    Yoko_Belnades_HD.PNG

Lars on
    edited September 2010
    Up until a couple days ago I wasn't exactly regretting the purchase, but I sure as heck wouldn't have bought any DLC. But ever since I played with you guys and got some pointers, it has totally clicked. I'm very obsessed now, and I've yet to still touch any character by Jonathon.

So yeah, if there's some DLC coming sign me the fuck up. I'd love a new chapter or two, let alone a new character or items.

Oh and how bad ass would it be if they released some sort of "hard+" mode, or a "reverse" mode akin to SoTN's upside-down castle?

I know 80% of those things won't happen, but, you know... what if?

DietarySupplement on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Checked the past two pages, so sorry if I missed this, but it sounds like DLC is coming soon.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!