Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

Metal JaredMetal Jared PA's Most Gifted, Most BeautifulRhode IslandRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse

So what is this MMA Thing? Don’t you mean UFC?
Spoiler:

Well whatever, I just want to see like a ninja guy fight a sumo wrestler. Oh oh! How about like a Kung Fu guy take on some old dude who does Tai Chi? (Fighting Styles)
Spoiler:

Wait what? Brazilian Jew Whatsu? More Ties? I don’t care about your fashion statements, I just want to see some sweet moves! You know like Hurricane kicks and Spinning Piledrivers! (MMA Moves)
Spoiler:

Ok, now you’re talking my language! One of those moves had naked RIGHT IN THE TITLE. That’s awesome! These fights must be no holds barred right? You know like that awesome Hulk Hogan Movie… No Holds Barred (MMA Rules)
Spoiler:

Oh ok, well I guess biting would be kind of gross. Well, where can I actually see some Wrestler dude Nakedly Choke some Kicking guy? (Upcoming Events)
Spoiler:

Sweet! Now how about you tell me who the big dogs are, you know the ones that have those sweet flashy belts? It seems like I should know those guys. (Current Champions)
Spoiler:

Ok so now I know the basics I guess, you know with the Muay Jitsu and the Superman Kicks. Where can I get some additional info? (Outside Resources)
Spoiler:

Ok so reading is fun… I guess… But where can I get some competition? Is there some type of, I dunno, Penny Arcade Fight Club, I could be apart of and compete against other forum members? (PAFC)
Spoiler:

Awesome! I can’t wait to be able to choose between Punchy McPuncherson and Kicks McGee! Just one more thing (I promise!) Is there anything else I should know? I don’t want to be out of line when I post in this thread. (Thread Rules)
Spoiler:

Metal Jared on
BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
League of Legends: metaljared
XBL: Metal Jared | PSN: SoulCrusherJared | Twitter: @metaljared

• adytumadytum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Penny Arcade Fight Club Round 2 (PAFCR2)
    A MayGodHaveMercy production in conjunction with Adytum Entertainment and Penny-Arcade

Final Standings!
    Spoiler:

Contenders
    Spoiler:

Rules

1) UFC and WEC events are counted toward the bout results (Please read the bout listing below carefully!)
    2) Only MMAplayground results are counted (Don't forget to make your picks!)
    3) In the case of a tie on points, fantasy wager amounts on mmaplayground.com will be taken into account

Structure

There are three brackets.

The Winners Bracket is the main bracket, made up of the top 16 contenders from PAFC Round 2 Bout 1. If you lose in the winners bracket in bouts 2 or 3, you're dropped into..

The Losers Bracket is the secondary bracket, where the losers of bouts 2 and 3 will compete for 5th and 6th place. Prestigious!

The Elimination Bracket is for those 4 poor individuals eliminated in bout 1. It will span bouts 3 and 4, and has a consolation bracket for last place.

Bouts

PAFCR2 will be composed of 6 bouts.
    Spoiler:

Bout 1 Results
    Spoiler:

Bout 2 Results
    Spoiler:

Bout 3 Results
    Spoiler:

Bout 4 Results
    Spoiler:

Bout 5 Results
    Spoiler:

Bout 6 Results
    Spoiler:

Brackets

The Winners Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166
    Spoiler:

The Losers Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166&tclass=Losers
    Spoiler:

The Elimination Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166&tclass=Elimination
    Spoiler:

etxvv5.jpg
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like that you're using some color to spice up the OP, but the Nyquil/Christmas combo up there is kind of painful to my eyes.

If I'm the only one that it bothers, feel free to dog pile me.
    Spoiler:

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.

Height: 5' 11" Weight: 225 Goal: 200
    edited August 2010
    Please dog pile me

o_O

etxvv5.jpg
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Please dog pile me

o_O

:winky:

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    The green on blue ain't working for me, Jared.

Am I the only one that thinks that UFC 119 and 120 look really crappy? Especially in comparison to the last 3 cards?

• B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like that you're using some color to spice up the OP, but the Nyquil/Christmas combo up there is kind of painful to my eyes.

Spoiler:
    Yeah the colors are not good. They BLEED, we must kill it.

The OP is nice but it seems to have one too many spoiler tags for my liking. And what's up with the "even you B:L" part? :P

As for doug_grammar's MMA news,

CroCop has a distinct advantage against Mir. His takedown defense is superb, and he's a better striker. Whether or not he can finish Mir though will be up to him.

Good for Mariusz for realizing how important cardio is. His striking has been ridiculously inefficient so hopefully he improves that as well. With his strength his bread and butter should be a wrestling style ground and pound game, which would work well against Butterbean.

Tito Ortiz is just trying to hold on to relevancy. Too little too late.

What John Cena said makes sense. He's never been into violent combat sports, so he wouldn't like MMA and he wouldn't want his kids to watch MMA. Nothing contradictory there.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure that CroCop is still the better striker between him and Mir. Mir has outboxed some solid fighters lately, right? On the other hand, we haven't seen him try out a kickboxer recently. Interestingly, I don't think most people would let their kids watch WWE/whatever, but would be inclined to allow some MMA viewing by the midgets. I do at least.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited August 2010
    Am I the only one that thinks that UFC 119 and 120 look really crappy? Especially in comparison to the last 3 cards?

While there aren't any titles on the line, I think both of the cards have the potential for some outstanding fights.

etxvv5.jpg
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure that CroCop is still the better striker between him and Mir. Mir has outboxed some solid fighters lately, right? On the other hand, we haven't seen him try out a kickboxer recently. Interestingly, I don't think most people would let their kids watch WWE/whatever, but would be inclined to allow some MMA viewing by the midgets. I do at least.
    It's really hard to predict what kind of mind set CC could show up in, if he's as bad as some of his recent fights I think Mir will out strike him. It's a really interesting fight and I'm glad that Big Nog getting injured meant we didn't have to see that fight again.

UFC 119 looks pretty good, four of the five main card fights should be great and in the other we get to laugh at Sean Sherk's t-rex boxing.

I'm most excited for WEC 51 right now, this card is great:
    FW Championship bout: Jose Aldo vs Manny Gamburyan
    Jamie Varner vs Donald Cerrone
    Miguel Torres vs Charlie Valencia
    Korean Zombie vs George Roop
    Leonard Garcia vs Mark Hominick

edited August 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    It's really hard to predict what kind of mind set CC could show up in, if he's as bad as some of his recent fights I think Mir will out strike him.
    If he comes in with the mindset of his last fight, he'll submit Mir.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared PA's Most Gifted, Most Beautiful Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    B:L wrote: »

Spoiler:

The OP is nice but it seems to have one too many spoiler tags for my liking. And what's up with the "even you B:L" part? :P

CroCop has a distinct advantage against Mir. His takedown defense is superb, and he's a better striker. Whether or not he can finish Mir though will be up to him.

Good for Mariusz for realizing how important cardio is. His striking has been ridiculously inefficient so hopefully he improves that as well. With his strength his bread and butter should be a wrestling style ground and pound game, which would work well against Butterbean.

Tito Ortiz is just trying to hold on to relevancy. Too little too late.

What John Cena said makes sense. He's never been into violent combat sports, so he wouldn't like MMA and he wouldn't want his kids to watch MMA. Nothing contradictory there.

How do you guys like Dark Orange and Gray

And I stand by my "even you B:L" :P

As for all the spoilers, this thread is like over 15,000 characters. I wanted to keep the OP as short as possible

• doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User
    edited August 2010
    I do not see Mir trying to out-strike CroCop. The man has been KO'd on a frequent basis, and I believe he will tread very carefully when he steps into CroCop's territory.

However, I am not implying that Mir will get knocked out by CroCop standing, but implying that he will avoid that scenario, and go back to his roots.

Taking Mirko down will be a fight within itself, but if Mir gets Cro-Cop on the ground, we'll see how well Dean Lister has improved Mirko's ground game.

Overall, I'll say CroCop has the distinct advantage if he's coming in with good stamina, which he should be seeing how he's brought in his A-team.

(Good OP, Jared, but just take a little more time dressing it up a little.)

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice OP.

While reading the 'cool moves' section all I could think of was:

small-knee.gif

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared PA's Most Gifted, Most Beautiful Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    Nice OP.

While reading the 'cool moves' section all I could think of was:

small-knee.gif
    Thank you!

And totally added. Awesome

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    You fool.

You have to label it Tiger Knee.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If Cro Cop has his hunger back he should beat Mir...

But if he fights Mir like he did JDS he'll lose.

edited August 2010
    Ah, yes. Those colors are much better.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited August 2010
    You fool.

You have to label it Tiger Knee.

You are correct sir, updated

edited August 2010
    Pat Barry is awesome.

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Spoiler:

CroCop has a distinct advantage against Mir. His takedown defense is superb,

Is it? I remember him being taken down at will by Gonzaga, before the Head Kick from Hell. It's been a long time though, so maybe I'm remembering wrong?

ArcherEyes2.jpg
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI
    edited August 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Kimboplex.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    119's a pretty meh card but it's got some fights that are important for you guys. Little Nog vs. Bader and Dunham Vs. Sherk should both be good fights and they could catapult promising young guys into the next tier of fighters and potential matchups.

120 isn't that great either but it's free so hey, what do you want?

edited August 2010
    The card for DEEP 50 (October 24) is big

Lightweight Title Bout
    Katsunori Kikuno (13-3-2) vs. Nobuhiro Obiya (12-3-1)

Welterweight Title Bout
    Yuya Shirai (19-8) vs. Shigetoshi Iwase (10-12-3)

Shinya Aoki (24-5, 1 NC) vs. TBA
    Sanae Kikuta (28-7-3, 1 NC) vs. TBA
    Ikuhisa Minowa (46-30-8) vs. TBA
    Takafumi Otsuka (10-6-1) vs. Yoshiro Maeda (26-9-2)
    Ryo Chonan (17-11) vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida (11-5)
    Toshikazu "ISE" Iseno (7-6-2) vs. Won Sik "Parky" Park (8-2-1, 1 NC)
    Kazuo Misaki (22-11-2, 1 NC) vs. Akira Shoji (14-16-5)
    Daiki "DJ.taiki" Hata (11-7-3) vs. Tomomi "Taisho" Iwama (8-5-1)
    Shoji Maruyama (6-5-1) vs. Tatsunao Nagakura (6-1)
    Hidetaka Monma (16-9-4) vs. Yoshihisa Yamamoto (14-22-1)
    Isao Terada (8-10-4, 1 NC) vs. Yoshiki Harada (4-0)
    Ryuta Noji (11-6) vs. Hiroshi Nagao

Additional Participants
    Kazunori Yokota (11-3-3)
    Yoshiyuki Nakanishi (8-1)
    Jutaro Nakao (23-15-4)
    Shunsuke Inoue (9-5-2)
    Hiromitsu Kanehara (18-23-3)
    Hisae Watanabe (19-6)
    Seigo Mizuguchi (7-7)

Given the penchant that Japanese MMA has for taking long intermissions, this event could take all day.

edited August 2010
    Given the penchant that Japanese MMA has for taking long intermissions, this event could take all day.
    This is why I stopped watching Dream cards, now I'll just find out what good fights there were and watch them later. They'll do stupid shit like having two fights in two hours then have three in the next hour after that.

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, what happened to Ryo Chonan? From beating an (young) Anderson Silva to 17-11 career? That's just kind of odd.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited August 2010
    This is why I stopped watching Dream cards, now I'll just find out what good fights there were and watch them later. They'll do stupid shit like having two fights in two hours then have three in the next hour after that.

Well, that and they come on at ungodly hours for Western audiences.

• Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User
    edited August 2010
    Is it? I remember him being taken down at will by Gonzaga, before the Head Kick from Hell. It's been a long time though, so maybe I'm remembering wrong?

Kongo also took CroCop down.

Mir/CroCop scares me. I don't trust either guy. CroCop is essentially o-fer against anyone of note in the last four years (and I'm including the Barry fight in there, considering CroCop was getting tooled before Barry broke half his own body). But Mir's never liked getting hit, and CroCop has enough left to put some hits on him. You couldn't pay me to bet on that fight.

edited August 2010
    Looks like the winner of Lil Nog vs Bader gets Bones Jones after that.

Poor guys. :(

edited August 2010
    Looks like the winner of Lil Nog vs Bader gets Bones Jones after that.

Poor guys. :(

This will be a good challenge for Bones Jones, but I suspect him to be fighting Lil Nog in the end.

edited August 2010
    If Bader looks as good (or better) as he has in the past against Little Nog then I'd love to see Bader/Jones. I think they're two best young LHW's the UFC's got.

edited August 2010

All of these have been added. If anyone else has animated gifs for the other moves, let me know and I'll update the pictures.

Good finds BubbaT

edited August 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    If Bader looks as good (or better) as he has in the past against Little Nog then I'd love to see Bader/Jones. I think they're two best young LHW's the UFC's got.

This sucks though, putting two awesome up-and-comers against eachother like that. I want them both to win. :(

ArcherEyes2.jpg
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User
    edited August 2010

This sucks though, putting two awesome up-and-comers against eachother like that. I want them both to win. :(

I really doubt we'll see Bones/Bader if Bader wins. I'm betting they'll handle it like they did with JDS and Cain.

If Little Nog wins, though, I think he's almost certainly Bones' next fight.

edited August 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

I really doubt we'll see Bones/Bader if Bader wins. I'm betting they'll handle it like they did with JDS and Cain.

If Little Nog wins, though, I think he's almost certainly Bones' next fight.

If Little Nog fights Bader like he fought the last guy, I don't see him winning.

ArcherEyes2.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Remember now, Lil Nog took out light heavy weight contender Luiz Cane back when he was still a prospect. He could do the same thing to Bones/Bader.

It's been a long time since Rogerio has been knocked out, and another day that goes by is another day spent training with Mark Munoz.

edited August 2010
    Wait what happened to Forrest Griffin/Bones Jones?

edited August 2010
    You could just tell Silva would be sending Griffin to hell with that fight. Griffin admitted defeat before the fight was even really planned.

Also, it's time for Jones to start climbing the ladder, and him fighting Griffin would be a waste of time and effort. It's time he fought contenders.

edited August 2010
    Wait what happened to Forrest Griffin/Bones Jones?

Nothing yet, we're having dream fights. For that matter I don't think Jones/Griffin is quite as foregone a conclusion as some other people do.