Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If the map looks anything like that in 1399, I'm going to have a hell of a time cleaning it up/making sense of it.

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Poor William. I've taken to keeping my heir as a courtier, because they always seem to go insane when they get a little power of their own. Still, Bjorn's nice and young, and still pretty good, so maybe it's for the best.

Be excellent to each other you stupid cunts.
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If the map looks anything like that in 1399, I'm going to have a hell of a time cleaning it up/making sense of it.

What, you don't feel like hand-coding every single province in Britain to a different owner? :P
    Poor William. I've taken to keeping my heir as a courtier, because they always seem to go insane when they get a little power of their own. Still, Bjorn's nice and young, and still pretty good, so maybe it's for the best.

It's a tough call, because you also want to give them a chance to earn some prestige to ease the transition when they eventually do take the throne. Plus, I've found that when I keep heirs in-house they grow to hate me because they want some land of their own. But yeah, might have been smarter to just make William the marshal and be done with it. Oh well. I'm still very much a beginner at this game...

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    William is Bjorn's father...but he also has the kinslayer trait. I don't think this bodes well.

As for maps... I've got this one of the Carolingian World of 1235.
    burgundianworld1235cropcopy.jpg

(we actually hold lands in Spain, England, Egypt and some other places...which I'm guessing are mostly from random vassal requests)

I attempted to map contiguous holdings (Sweden, Scotland, Norway and Burgundy have nearby claims mapped out in dashed lines). Despite Sweden's size (and claims all over), they're pretty scattered. Byzantium actually has a huge swath of tenuous holdings in Russia. Ireland is split three ways (much like England) and the south of France is a hodge-podge of major kingdoms' satellite states. In Western Europe there are about 6 independent counties. Two in Iberia, two in France and two in southern Italy.

(This is much easier in EU3 where they implemented the 'take a screenshot of your world' ability)

Join the Crew: Sink to the level of sinking those trying to sink us.
    PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, did you do all of that by hand?

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    edited August 2010
    ...only most of it.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited August 2010
    Wow, that's a heck of a thing.

edited August 2010
    Also when did we switch over to Salic Gravelkind and Church Supremacy. I'm guessing this is either one of the crazy kings or William's doing.

On the plus side, Ile de France has the best knowledge of mining and harnessing the forces of nature in the known world with 4 in the power technology.

Also also: the greyscale 'kingdoms' in my map are heretics (Mecklenburg never got conquered by a Catholic, apparently). Hungary apparently has a kingdom as well, but it's 2 provinces spread over 1000 miles.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow CK is definitely interesting, a very different style of play.

edited August 2010
    Also when did we switch over to Salic Gravelkind and Church Supremacy.

Yeah, I cut out a few screenshots due to the length of my turn - both of those laws were changed by events during the later stages of Alexander's reign.

EDIT: Nice job on the map, by the way.

edited August 2010
    So Bjorn's got 10 years under his belt. France is in Italy, Bohemia's in Spain, and Norway's in France (along with Scotland and Sweden). Just about the only people who are in the right spot are Sicily and the Teutonic Knights.

[edit]Also, as far as I can tell England is extinct[/edit]

1235-1245
    Spoiler:

So in 10 years Bjorn has gained a few traits that let him rule 8 provinces instead of 7 (but I still tend to be around 10-12 because I'm saving at least one duke title for the heir, although if William dies first his holdings should fall to Bjorn). Those 10 years have also seen about 3 months of actual peace because Zenata refuses to relinquish Rome and keeps starting wars for provinces in Spain.

We're back to ecclesiastical balance and Bjorn's Frankish son Thomas is first in line for the throne. There's another son and three daughters as well. And somehow my court has dwindled down to 6 people, so the old king's wife is working as the steward. Hey grandma, how're the taxes?

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited August 2010
    Fucking Brittany. They were always more trouble than they were worth. If I had just left them alone back in 1217 or whenever, I'm pretty sure Alexander wouldn't have gone crazy in the first place.

• TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Fucking Brittany. They were always more trouble than they were worth. If I had just left them alone back in 1217 or whenever, I'm pretty sure Alexander wouldn't have gone crazy in the first place.

The relentless insanity was hilarious. Definitely worth it.

steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, thanks to you guys, I've bought and am playing CK now. For my first trick, I've decided to take an Irish Duke and make him the King of Ireland. The first trip out, I failed when I declared war on Sligo without noticing that the countess was an English vassal at the time. My bad.

My second attempt is going much better. So, I had this courtier who was stressed for a long time. No idea why. Anyway, eventually he got sick. Then, a wandering healer offered to heal him for 10 gold, which he spent gladly. It failed to work. Skip ahead several months, and he's still sick, and another healer offers her services for 10 gold. This one, also, fails to work. Then, a few months after that, he went blind. Yet another faith healer showed up - another 10 g, another nill result. A few months after that, he went schizo. Eventually, he died.

The whole time, I'm thinking, "An' that one burned down, fell over, and sank into the swamp."

elvenshae2_zps569236d5.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The FATE of the Rebellion PBP
    FotR on Obsidian Portal
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gad damn you all. I broke down and bought Crusader Kings. I haven't even finished my EUIII game!

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited August 2010
    Heh, that's what, six people who have bought Crusader Kings based entirely on reading this thread? Paradox owes you some sort of royalties, ebum.

edited August 2010
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Heh, that's what, six people who have bought Crusader Kings based entirely on reading this thread? Paradox owes you some sort of royalties, ebum.

They really owe them to Wiz from SA then.

edited August 2010
    We get to experience some years of peace, although it doesn't help our stability (the intermittent wars with vassals probably don't help). Bjorn begins massive public works projects (if you count the military as the public) in the years of peace. William pulls a Darth Vader. For being peaceful it sure is violent.

1245-1255

Spoiler:

Rome's still in heathen hands - Sicily and Italy apparently refused to negotiate for it. Every time I look over there when I'm at peace it's already sieged. Now we're in a 3-front war that we're managing to afford defensively since we just got Alexandria back (although it's now put me over my demesne limit). The Golden Horde has arrived in the East and conquered a bunch of useless provinces. Byzantium has fractured between Achaea, Rhodes and Crete (and Byzantium), but it still holds a bunch of land in Russia.

Sicily's getting trounced by Zenata and Italy. England was swallowed by Poland and the Danish area of Spain has splintered somewhat.

...Speaking of the Danes: they need a different color. I swear it is the exact same as Burgundy's.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited August 2010
    William was kind of awesome.

In fact, I'm calling Bjorn "the Overshadowed" in the OP unless he does something awesome.

Also, a century and a half to go!

schuss, did you get the game and want to take a turn? Otherwise it's time to open things up to volunteers again. I know HamHamJ has bought the game because of this thread, so if you want to take over...

I'd like to be the King who takes us into EU3 so I can write a big ole mechanics reign like I did for CK. So I'll be holding off personally for a while.

• Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm planning on buying this, the question is now, or wait a couple of weeks when I can know I can get it for basically free? I'm leaning towards the now.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    William was kind of awesome.

In fact, I'm calling Bjorn "the Overshadowed" in the OP unless he does something awesome.

Also, a century and a half to go!

schuss, did you get the game and want to take a turn? Otherwise it's time to open things up to volunteers again. I know HamHamJ has bought the game because of this thread, so if you want to take over...

I'd like to be the King who takes us into EU3 so I can write a big ole mechanics reign like I did for CK. So I'll be holding off personally for a while.

I picked up EU3, so I guess I'll take 2nd turn on that, unless you trust me to try CK... got sucked into 6+ hours of EU3 yesterday playing castille. Stupid monarch not being old enough, now frances vassal (don't ask). Time to stomp frogs.

edited August 2010
    Why would waiting a couple weeks get it to you for basically free?

I spent $20 on the with-expansion version from GamersGate; totally worth it, so far (although, srsly, fuck the Spanish and their Ulster / Munster lapdogs!).

FotR on Obsidian Portal
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, the $20 was totally worth it. I've owned CK for all of 2 1/2 weeks and I've poured as much time into it as I have any other game so far this year.

And I have to admit, I got choked up a little bit when William died.

edited August 2010
    Lest something terrible happen in the rest of Bjorn's life the kingdom should survive a generation of gross ineptitude. A kingdom may not be the easiest place to start, but (if you've got at least some experience under your belt) it should be pretty difficult to ruin.

Plus EU3 is probably the easiest one of the 4 to go grossly overpowered (although, to be fair, HOI2 via a succession game is basically going to be "8 huge nation-states duking it out for the world...because unless there's player intervention to keep some small guys around that's what it always is). I mean, people have colored the world with EU3 with Prussia and even Byzantium.

[edit]Also, Ashild, the one who learned court etiquette as a newborn? She's not inbred; Homlaug and Cecillia are the inbred sister BFFs. Ashild is probably some Einstein-Newtonian savant prodigy - at age 10 she's 7/8/4/7.[/edit]

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited August 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I spent $20 on the with-expansion version from GamersGate; totally worth it, so far (although, srsly, fuck the Spanish and their Ulster / Munster lapdogs!).

I have a couple of giftcards waiting in the aether somewhere out there, but they take a couple weeks to post.

Also, just be sure, this from gamersgate is the same as this from amazon correct? Besides the fact that the gamersgate copy is download.

edited August 2010
    You can conquer the world with the Iroquois in EU3.

edited August 2010

I have a couple of giftcards waiting in the aether somewhere out there, but they take a couple weeks to post.

Also, just be sure, this from gamersgate is the same as this from amazon correct? Besides the fact that the gamersgate copy is download.

Ah - okay. I thought you had foreknowledge of a sale coming up or something. :D

And, as far as I can tell, yes, they're the same. If you zoom in on the Amazon picture, you can see that it says it comes with Crusader Kings and Deus Vult, which is what the GG download comes with.

FotR on Obsidian Portal
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah, that's the version I got.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • HeirHeir Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just read through this thread. Loving it so far.

camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2010
    And my order has been placed. Another challenger has entered the ring.

edited September 2010
    Bjorn's sons both mature. Mischeviously, they're friends with eachother and their 'beloved' Uncle Henry (one of William's sons). France has essentially abandoned all of the lands of France and has stuck with its lands in Iberia and Italy. Sicily and Italy have warred with eachother and Zenata constantly. The Mongols have decided to go North instead of West. And Byzantium has fractured quite a bit more.

Bohemia and Hungary - small as they are - share the combined titles for kingdoms of England, Bohemia, Hungary, and Germany.

Also, keep in mind that Thomas is the first-born (I know Torbjorn's sheet says he's a year older, but the screenshots were taken at different dates).

1255-1265

Spoiler:

So, William: still a pain in the ass after being dead for nearly 10 years.

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited September 2010
    Bjorn is kind of too competent. :P

edited September 2010
    Bjorn is kind of too competent. :P

We were due. You've got to go back about 90 years to find our last ruler who wasn't sickly, wounded or insane.

edited September 2010
    I have the save ready if you've got someone lined up (perhaps one of these new people). I'll get a write-up (and potentially a map) tomorrow. Suffice it to say that Bjorn implemented a solution to the Gavelkind problem in the nick of time.

I can throw up a picture of the successor if someone wants it...although it may be spoilery if you're that invested in the intrigue and such.

If you want to send me a save sometime before the beginning of the EU3 timeframe (since maps are infinitely easier to make in-game for all the games except CK), I can potentially make another map of the wanning days of the Middle Ages. Like the beginning of last king's reign before the switch over (or the one before that if it's like 1398 or something). I could make one or two for previous reigns if someone wants.

I mean, seriously, whoever picked the color schemes for the 'countries' should be shot. And then given a color-blindness test. Vicky and HOI never have this problem (EU3 has a few overlaps, sometimes).

HOI2 really does it the best. USSR is red, Germany is Grey, UK is an easily discernable shade of different red, USA is blue and Italy is Green. It's incredibly easy to tell the major players. It wouldn't even be so bad if they could pick different shades. Everything in CK is generic blue. Zenata? blue. France? Blue! Muratibids? BLUE. Lorraine? BLUE!

PR-SH3-sig2.gif
    edited September 2010
    It's really obnoxious when you're Scotland and one of the Scotland colored Muslims takes fucking Fife. I figured one of my vassals owned it for the longest time. But yeah, when I hijack things in 139x I'll send you a copy of the save file.

edited September 2010
    I'm colorblind, so I have that problem in a lot of games, but even I can tell that the color choices are stupid in this.

For the rotation, I'll hop back in wherever there's a spot if we've worked our way to repeats.

edited September 2010
    Well, if any of the people we've forced to purchase the game want to step up (or anybody else) we'll give them a day or two. Otherwise we go to repeats.

Kayne might be best to give a second shot since his dude died within a couple years, starkiller's within seven. But otherwise just go back in the same order unless people are busy (obviously school is starting for lots of people this week or next, for example).

• Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am up for another round, but yeah, class started this week, so it might take a bit longer for me to get through it. (Hopefully it will be a bit longer of a reign as well of course).

• RebootReboot Registered User
    edited September 2010
    If you guys don't mind a few days of wait for the update I'll take a turn... :D

edited September 2010
    That's fine.