As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2010 Info and FAQ Thread (ASK QUESTIONS HERE)

• KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think you might be screwed. Start searching everywhere you can think of. And possibly start plotting to murder that person. Or at least calculate how much $ they owe you.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    spiderz13 wrote: »
    I am looking for the World Map and Benaroya Hall Map for PAX but I cannot find it.
    the benaroya map can be found on their website.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GeeCee on
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am looking for the World Map and Benaroya Hall Map for PAX but I cannot find it.

I tried looking on the pax website (http://www.paxsite.com/paxprime/schedule.php) and couldnt find it. I tried searching the forum couldnt find it, nor anywhere else. If it in this thread and I missed it, sorry. I saw a version on the Itouch/Iphone app but its too small so I would like the original full size. Thanks for any help.
    The full-size version of the world map will be in the program book. You can get the program book at Benaroya or the Queue Room starting on Friday morning at 0800. You can not get it online.

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I tried looking on the pax website (http://www.paxsite.com/paxprime/schedule.php) and couldnt find it. I tried searching the forum couldnt find it, nor anywhere else. If it in this thread and I missed it, sorry. I saw a version on the Itouch/Iphone app but its too small so I would like the original full size. Thanks for any help.

I've found this collaborative fan map very useful. It has the con center, the Sheraton, and Benaroya on it.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just don't use that fan map to actually find anything, if they can't get the convention center location right (it's an entire block off!), I wouldn't trust it for anything else.

Dreamwriter on
  • ManoaManoa Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just don't use that fan map to actually find anything, if they can't get the convention center location right (it's an entire block off!), I wouldn't trust it for anything else.

The convention center location is technically right...it just isn't pointing to the front entrance and will still get people to the right building. It's pointing to the second floor back entry from Freeway Park and Two Union. Not exactly the best marker to direct folks unfamiliar with the area to the convention center, though it's probably by far the best entrance for people walking from Benaroya and the Sheraton.

Manoa on
  • jonrosingjonrosing Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Any good ideas for boardgames/card to play while in line?

This is my 4th year PAXing it up and every year I have my DS with me. I was thinking it'd be good to pack some board games in my backpack that are small enough to whip out while waiting in line. I'll have a magic deck with me, but I'm looking for other ideas as well. What I plan on bringing right now is:

Forbidden Island - Great 2-4 player co-op game that is fast.

Drakon - Another quick easily learned game for up to 6.

I'm looking to add more to the list.

jonrosing on
  • UpthornUpthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've found this collaborative fan map very useful. It has the con center, the Sheraton, and Benaroya on it.
    That is not what is meant by "world map".
    The map available online has the layout of the expo hall, but not the location of the expo hall, or anything else, within the convention center. The map that does have this information has been called the World Map in previous years.

Upthorn on
    edited September 2010
    I didn't think it was the world map, but people were curious about the general location of the Sheraton and Benaroya, so I figured that would give them at least a vague idea.

Also, I didn't make the fan map, I just found it and looked at it. If you notice something broken on it though, it'd be great if you would edit it: I'm an out-of-towner, so I'm not 100% certain about the correct location of anything - though I found the map helpful to guide my random zooming-in and street-viewing.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
  • ThreeveThreeve Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to have Fluxx in my backpack.

I'm hoping I'm near some people playing Zombie dice, Ive heard good things about that game.

Threeve on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You should enjoy this thread from the other week:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=125569

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forbidden Island might not work well because it involves setting up a board that isn't easily moved. The PAX lines are notorious for constantly compressing, even when no one is getting in to the event.

Personally, I'm bringing Zombie Dice. Takes minutes to learn, easy to pack up and requires almost zero space.

aragorn18 on
  • bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is related to will-call.

I tried to print off my registration confirmation today and it had " SCANNED" stamped over the ticket. This was the main plan since I haven't received my badge in the mail, despite it being sent to a US address. Who do I get in contact with to sort this out and find out what the hell is going on?

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • NovaFlaresNovaFlares Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    my sister and i are bringing our Yo-Yos. Anyone lucky enough gets a pretty awesome show

NovaFlares on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I tried to print off my registration confirmation today and it had " SCANNED" stamped over the ticket. This was the main plan since I haven't received my badge in the mail, despite it being sent to a US address. Who do I get in contact with to sort this out and find out what the hell is going on?

It says in this exact thread to ignore that.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • mousekinnmousekinn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Threeve wrote: »

I'm hoping I'm near some people playing Zombie dice, Ive heard good things about that game.

Zombie Dice is amazing, and I know more than one person who will have it around. I'm going to check the game store myself today if I have time (otherwise I'll be stalking people I know have it :winky: ).

Small dice related games seem to be a good way to go

mousekinn on
  • bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

It says in this exact thread to ignore that.

Whoops. My bad. Irrational pants-shitting for the win.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mousekinn wrote: »
    Threeve wrote: »

Zombie Dice is amazing, and I know more than one person who will have it around. I'm going to check the game store myself today if I have time (otherwise I'll be stalking people I know have it :winky: ).

Small dice related games seem to be a good way to go
    we discovered zombie dice for the iphone is pretty well done. it doesn't keep track of wins, but it never sells out and you don't have to drive to get it! (unfortunately, no android love)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • createacatcreateacat CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How early can we pick up our friday badges at will call at the sheraton?

createacat on
    https://twitter.com/createacat1
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '11, '12, '13 / PAX East Attendee: / PAX Aus Attendee:

My Digital Pin Lanyard
  • SxySamuraiSxySamurai Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Last question, I hope.

I'm looking over the schedule, again, and was wondering if there was some place that had a list of what site (Benaroya Hall, Sheraton Hotel, WSTCTC, etc.) had what rooms (Pegasus Theatre, Raven Theatre, Serpent Theatre, etc.)

Last minute planning for the mothertrucking WIN!

SxySamurai on
    edited September 2010
    SxySamurai wrote: »
    Last question, I hope.

I'm looking over the schedule, again, and was wondering if there was some place that had a list of what site (Benaroya Hall, Sheraton Hotel, WSTCTC, etc.) had what rooms (Pegasus Theatre, Raven Theatre, Serpent Theatre, etc.)

Last minute planning for the mothertrucking WIN!

Details of what is where are here, but in short:

Benaroya = Main Theater (and that is all)
    Sheraton = Pegasus Theater and Registration

Everything else is at the WSCTC, but the WSCTC has an annex called the "Conference Center" that is accessible via an escalator or via street level. That's where tabletop and a few exhibitors are, but no theaters.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • HorlicksHorlicks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hey, does anyone know if will there be a locker-room or some facility like that where I can stash some small items of luggage while I explore pax ?

Horlicks on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Horlicks wrote: »
    hey, does anyone know if will there be a locker-room or some facility like that where I can stash some small items of luggage while I explore pax ?

No coat/goat/moat/boat/Shoat check.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SxySamurai wrote: »
    If you look at the top of the schedule grid, it lists the locations of all of the theatres right next to their names. There will be a map with all of the locations in the program book.

jaberwockynmt on
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • mousekinnmousekinn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    we discovered zombie dice for the iphone is pretty well done. it doesn't keep track of wins, but it never sells out and you don't have to drive to get it! (unfortunately, no android love)

Hmmm. I wonder if it would work on the touch, given I am borrowing one and I have no smart phone like the very broke geek I am.

mousekinn on
    edited September 2010
    Your hotel room or the hotel bellmen before/after your stay. Also your car. There is no place like a locker room near the center. There's a Greyhound bus station ~10 blocks north that has pay lockers, but that's the closest I know and the lockers are ~always all full.

jaberwockynmt on
    edited September 2010
    createacat wrote: »
    How early can we pick up our friday badges at will call at the sheraton?
    Will-Call Registration opens at 0800 on Friday.

jaberwockynmt on
  • aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you walk up to the concierge desk of any of the downtown hotels, act confident enough, and ask them to hold your bags for a few hours they will likely do it. The worst they can do is say no and then you move on to the next hotel.

aragorn18 on
  • frobearfrobear Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    aragorn18 wrote: »
    If you walk up to the concierge desk of any of the downtown hotels, act confident enough, and ask them to hold your bags for a few hours they will likely do it. The worst they can do is say no and then you move on to the next hotel.

Talking with the bell desk at the Sheraton for a related issue revealed that you must be a registered guest to have them hold items for you. Could be different at other hotels.

frobear on
    edited September 2010
    frobear wrote: »
    aragorn18 wrote: »
    Talking with the bell desk at the Sheraton for a related issue revealed that you must be a registered guest to have them hold items for you. Could be different at other hotels.
    There may be exceptions to that policy, but I've never encountered them at any hotel in the country (I've been all over with many different brand hotels).

jaberwockynmt on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that's where the confidence part comes in. And cross your fingers that they put it under a name rather than a roomh number.

SlickShughes on
  • Concerned VistorConcerned Vistor Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Hahahaah you are going to have a fair noumber of lost people......how the heck can the Garage entrance be on the right if you travel up both sides of the street????? Maybe you should fix that

From SEA airport, Olympia, and all points south of Seattle:
    ◦I-5 Northbound
    ◦Madison Street Exit (#164A)
    ◦Right on Madison Street
    ◦Left on 8th Avenue
    ◦Garage entrance is on your right
    From Vancouver B.C. and all points north of Seattle:
    ◦I-5 Southbound
    ◦Stewart Street Exit (#166)
    ◦Left on Boren Avenue
    ◦Right on Seneca Street
    ◦Right on 8th Avenue
    From Bellevue and all points east of Seattle:
    ◦I-90 west to Seattle
    ◦I-5 Northbound
    ◦Right on Madison Street
    ◦Left on 8th Avenue

Concerned Vistor on
    edited September 2010
    Hahahaah you are going to have a fair noumber of lost people......how the heck can the Garage entrance be on the right if you travel up both sides of the street????? Maybe you should fix that

From SEA airport, Olympia, and all points south of Seattle:
    ◦I-5 Northbound
    ◦Right on Madison Street
    ◦Left on 8th Avenue
    From Vancouver B.C. and all points north of Seattle:
    ◦I-5 Southbound
    ◦Stewart Street Exit (#166)
    ◦Left on Boren Avenue
    ◦Right on Seneca Street
    ◦Right on 8th Avenue
    From Bellevue and all points east of Seattle:
    ◦I-90 west to Seattle
    ◦I-5 Northbound
    ◦Right on Madison Street
    ◦Left on 8th Avenue
    In all of those cases, you are traveling North while on 8th Ave, so the garage entrance is on the right. the directions are correct and clear.

jaberwockynmt on
  • frobearfrobear Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that's where the confidence part comes in. And cross your fingers that they put it under a name rather than a roomh number.

Solution: have a friend who trusts you not to rack up room service charges add your name to their occupants list. It shouldn't cost more for the room as long as you don't go over their occupancy limit (usually 4).

frobear on
  • AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a question about line-ups for the other theatres in the morning pre-open. Friday, my group wants to attend the RB3 Q&A at the Pegasus Theatre in the Sheraton. Do we still go to the Queue Room at the Convention Center, or can we go straight to the Sheraton?

(Maybe it is best to show up at the convention center at 8am to get the welcome packets and wrist bands, then head across the street to the Sheraton?)

Ajaxon on
    edited September 2010
    Ajaxon wrote: »
    I have a question about line-ups for the other theatres in the morning pre-open. Friday, my group wants to attend the RB3 Q&A at the Pegasus Theatre in the Sheraton. Do we still go to the Queue Room at the Convention Center, or can we go straight to the Sheraton?

(Maybe it is best to show up at the convention center at 8am to get the welcome packets and wrist bands, then head across the street to the Sheraton?)
    Yes; go the the Queue Room and then Sheraton. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=16391666#post16391666

jaberwockynmt on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Manoa wrote: »

The convention center location is technically right...it just isn't pointing to the front entrance and will still get people to the right building. It's pointing to the second floor back entry from Freeway Park and Two Union. Not exactly the best marker to direct folks unfamiliar with the area to the convention center, though it's probably by far the best entrance for people walking from Benaroya and the Sheraton.
    How could that be the best entrance for people walking from the Sheraton? Walk out the front door of the Sheraton, up half a block, cross the street and you're at the front entrance to the convention center. To get up to the Freeway Park rear entrance you'd have to *then* go an extra block over, across an extra street, up some stairs, and then backtrack a bit.

And unfortunately, since it's an entire block off, that map won't really get people to the right building - from street level, you cannot access the building from there, and it doesn't look like the same building nor is labelled that (it has different businesses at the street level there). Anyone using that to find the convention center will probably end up wandering around lost for a bit.

Dreamwriter on
    edited September 2010
    Manoa wrote: »

How could that be the best entrance for people walking from the Sheraton? Walk out the front door of the Sheraton, up half a block, cross the street and you're at the front entrance to the convention center. To get up to the Freeway Park rear entrance you'd have to *then* go an extra block over, across an extra street, up some stairs, and then backtrack a bit.

And unfortunately, since it's an entire block off, that map won't really get people to the right building - from street level, you cannot access the building from there, and it doesn't look like the same building nor is labelled that (it has different businesses at the street level there). Anyone using that to find the convention center will probably end up wandering around lost for a bit.
    The map was updated 8 hours ago to show the volcano on the main door of the WSCC.

jaberwockynmt on
  • bigfudgebigfudge Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Just to reconfirm. If you don't receive your badge(s) in the mail for whatever reason, you can still pick them up at Will Call at the Sheraton as long as you have the printed Registration Confirmation?

bigfudge on
This discussion has been closed.