As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Little Nemo in [chat]land.

• stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    okay, whatever

I give up

right now I’m at a place where cutting my toenails is much more realistic and important

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »
    What makes you think the second group actually exists?

...Really?

Give me proof that hipsters wear trendy clothes because they want to hide their lack of a personality.

Prove it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    "My way of living is wearing a v-neck shirt. Hipsters have stolen my way of life from me. CURSE YOU, HIPSTERSSSSS"

Well yeah if suddenly people were identifying you as a hipster for dressing the way you normally do I imagine you'd probably be pretty pissed

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hipster is a term I don't really get, and the more I hear it and see it applied to people, the less I understand what a hipster is.

So the people saying that it's not anything, just a bullshit term are really winning me over right now.

Regina Fong on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't really mind that hipsters try to make themselves look working class

I usually assume that people can tell I'm working class because whenever I try to dress classy I fail miserably

Wait I thought that made you a man child?

I'm so confused now...

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    The issue is the substitution of irony for authenticity without actually rebelling against much in the process. This isn't the 1920's. Dadaism already went there.

Irony is the artistic intentional medium of the 20th century, so to attach it on to hipsters is pretty myopic.

Also, yes, we have all read DFW's excellent essay on irony. But the answer isn't simply to regress back to an aesthetic realism, and I think a number of artists are doing a laudable job of forging a new path between irony and realism.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited September 2010

...Really?

Give me proof that hipsters wear trendy clothes because they want to hide their lack of a personality.

Prove it.

No

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    stilist wrote: »
    okay, whatever

I give up

right now I’m at a place where cutting my toenails is much more realistic and important

Be careful. You could cut it too greedily, too deep; then wind up with an ingrown toenail that burns like a balrog.

moniker on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Haha Justin Bieber trying to dance

This is hilarious

I want a Bieber Fever shirt, but, like, a home made one complete with a scary black and while silk-screening of his face and elementary school bulletin board lettering.

Edit: Like this but even cruder: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/04/26/article-0-094DC792000005DC-582_468x318.jpg

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited September 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    The issue is the substitution of irony for authenticity without actually rebelling against much in the process. This isn't the 1920's. Dadaism already went there.

Irony is the artistic intentional medium of the 20th century, so to attach it on to hipsters is pretty myopic.

Also, yes, we have all read DFW's excellent essay on irony. But the answer isn't simply to regress back to an aesthetic realism, and I think a number of artists are doing a laudable job of forging a new path between irony and realism.

Dallas Fort-Worth?

Kagera on
    edited September 2010

...Really?

Prove it.

No

I'm done talking to you. You are being a tool.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    Kagera wrote: »

I usually assume that people can tell I'm working class because whenever I try to dress classy I fail miserably

I'm so confused now...

No I would be a man child if I made absolutely no attempt to dress classy ever

Attempting to and failing just means I have no sense of class

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    i was so inspired by my rant here that i wrote a facebook note and posted it about hipster hate and how retarded it is

Care to copy it?

yalborap on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    And all of them actually produced culture. Hipsters seem to do little more then to sort through the refuse pile of cultures gone by.

Problem One: If hipsters hadn't produced a culture, by what rubric would you then accredit hipsterism to someone?
    Problem Two: How have other subcultures created other cultures by any means other than re-appropriating the detritus of mainstream culture?

Problem One: Adapting a mixture of various other cultures allow for the creation of a culture. That does not mean that the culture produces anything of value.
    Problem Two: By altering it. Punk took Rock and Roll and added the anger of their period. This give something unique to them. Hipsters value the exact opposite. They aren't a creative subculture.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010

...Really?

Prove it.

No

oh noooooooo

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010

I'm so confused now...

No I would be a man child if I made absolutely no attempt to dress classy ever

Attempting to and failing just means I have no sense of class

Okay, gotcha.

Kagera on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I find that "false irony" that you speak of is a lot of times a construct of critics. If anything, the music and ideals are nostalgic more than ironic. And if that's bothersome to you, that is understandable.

stevemarks44 on
    edited September 2010

...Really?

Prove it.

No

oh noooooooo

your 16 year old girlfriend dump you? :(

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

This could lead to an interesting discussion. Or I could go to sleep.

Decisions.

moniker on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Dallas Fort-Worth?

Yes, Dallas Fort-Worth all got together and wrote a communal essay at St. Mark's. Really a commendable civic effort.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited September 2010
    Problem Two: By altering it. Punk took Rock and Roll and added the anger of their period. This give something unique to them. Hipsters value the exact opposite. They aren't a creative subculture.

I don’t know what world you live in where young people aren’t creating anything

stilist on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yalborap wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    i was so inspired by my rant here that i wrote a facebook note and posted it about hipster hate and how retarded it is

Care to copy it?
    Well, a lot of it was the post I just posted in the last chat.

But for those who are interested here's the longer rant:
    On Hipsters

Just something I've been meaning to get off my chest.

Over the past couple of years the term "hipster" has been thrown about more and more. More often than not, especially recently, it is used disparagingly. The problem, though, is that people now DEFINE a hipster as someone who is judgmental, arrogant, and interested in only appearances.

So they're hating on people... who are defined as people that you would automatically hate anyway. It's like saying "man I can't stand people I can't stand." Which doesn't say anything.

But now we come to the part that is really quite aggravating. You see, dressing in the way "hipsters" dress and liking the things "hipsters" like is so common among young people, because every human being on earth is a social creature and we dress and act like the people we associate ourselves with. That's part of being human.

So you have a whole group of people getting all high and mighty about a caricature they set up beforehand to be annoying, by definition. Then that ire is directed at people who don't deserve it. For instance, walking down the street you might see someone wearing a scarf. What 20 years ago might just be seen as a scarf now becomes a sign that the wearer is that caricature, that archetype. "Oh those goddamned hipsters are taking over <local area of local city>."

Are there people who are shallow, only interested in looking smart, who wear cardigan sweaters and black square glasses and who sip latte's and pretend to be into poetry to score dates? Yes. But there are also shallow poseurs in other groups. There are people who only pretend to be into classical music to score dates who don't dress and act like hipsters, who rather dress in suits and drive mercedes.

The point is, there are shallow assholes in every walk of life. The problem with the term "hipster" when used as a pejorative is that it falsely equates negative personality aspects with other, unrelated habits. Your particular musical preferences, dressing habits, and favorite coffee shops have absolutely nothing to do with whether you are a shallow, arrogant poseur. So a term that combines the two ends up lumping perfectly normal people who just happen to have a certain style of fashion and musical taste in with assholes who share those attributes.

It's completely asinine. It is juvenile and transparently self-congratulatory, and I am sick of it.

Now, I'm talking about genuine hate here. Joking around about "lol hipsters" is fine.

It's when it gets into the "i f***ing hate hipsters" territory that I think the whole meme should be just taken out back and shot.

MikeMan on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly, I usually just try to avoid hating people unless they're acting like dicks.

yalborap on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

Casual Eddy on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Not all young people are hipsters.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    just replace every instance of 'hipsters' with 'Jews'

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010

...Really?

Prove it.

No

oh noooooooo

your 16 year old girlfriend dump you? :(

...Huh?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I fucking hate v-necks they are the worst shirts

deadonthestreet on
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

CVS guy?

Thomamelas on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yalborap wrote: »
    Honestly, I usually just try to avoid hating people unless they're acting like dicks.

At the end of the day, yes. I don't care if you're wearing a miniskirt and Uggs or if you're wearing a graphic t and skinny jeans. If you're not bothering me or anyone else, then good day to you, sir.

stevemarks44 on
    edited September 2010

so what?

have you ever heard of a thing called tumblr?

stilist on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still don't like hipsters mike

Casual Eddy on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Zombie you apparently care more about this than anyone else in the thread, to the point where you're coming off as really worked up.

Maybe take a smoke break or something?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2010

so what?

have you ever heard of a thing called tumblr?

It's a blogging platform. We had something similar when I was young. We called them notebooks. They also tended to be filled with drivel.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    everyone who says they hate hipsters is saying nothing more than "i hate people i hate"

fucking duh

you want a medal for that shit?

MikeMan on
    edited September 2010
    this girl on Attack of The Show is cute but she kinda has rabbit teeth

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    And all of them actually produced culture. Hipsters seem to do little more then to sort through the refuse pile of cultures gone by.

Problem One: If hipsters hadn't produced a culture, by what rubric would you then accredit hipsterism to someone?
    Problem Two: How have other subcultures created other cultures by any means other than re-appropriating the detritus of mainstream culture?

Problem One: Adapting a mixture of various other cultures allow for the creation of a culture. That does not mean that the culture produces anything of value.

p1: but those very values are only measured, in turn, by the current cultural measurements. If they aren't producing anything of value, perhaps you have to actually analyze what is "valued" and in turn what the cultural implications of that are.
    p2: This seems pretty ridiculous. How is "adding anger of the period" altering rock and roll, and how is that adding value. This is a fluff answer, and I do not accept it as valid. What about the thousands of artists who are producing art of far greater cultural value than the punks. Give me a punk artist, and I guarantee you that I can submit a quote hipster unquote (whatever that may mean) whose work is, GASP, shockingly more culturally creative than a punk artist, or at least as much so.

This is such a silly argument, D&D, and I am surprised that you are carrying on like this. Culture and Subculures are rarely anything other than net-neutral -- gains here and losses there which merely alter the course of life, both for better and for worse.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited September 2010
    I still don't like hipsters mike
    EDDY

i am bad at starcrafts eddy :(

MikeMan on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This conversation is relevant as I have to write a paper about Duchamp tonight

Nocturne on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    IT'S TOO FUCKING HOT.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
This discussion has been closed.