As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Little Nemo in [chat]land.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    have you ever heard of a thing called tumblr?

It's a blogging platform. We had something similar when I was young. We called them notebooks. They also tended to be filled with drivel.

Mine were filled with caged genius.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

CVS guy?

yes...

we smoked a jay on top of the crotan river dam which was pretty awesome actually. and he held it to my lips which was pretty smooth.

but I think he was too high because he got weirded out at the 7-11 as there were tons of cops there and then asked to be taken home.

i mean i think he wants to go out again

Casual Eddy on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    everyone who says they hate hipsters is saying nothing more than "i hate people i hate"

fucking duh

you want a medal for that shit?

I want a cookie. I think I'll go get one.

And a glass of milk to dunk it in.

Then nappy time.

Things are coming up Milhouse.

moniker on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

Deets

So It Goes on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Problem Two: By altering it. Punk took Rock and Roll and added the anger of their period. This give something unique to them. Hipsters value the exact opposite. They aren't a creative subculture.

I don’t know what world you live in where young people aren’t creating anything

Not all young people are hipsters.

so what?

have you ever heard of a thing called tumblr?

It's a blogging platform. We had something similar when I was young. We called them notebooks. They also tended to be filled with drivel.

So then your ultimate conclusion is that youth in general is a pretty useless incubation period in which people wait until they become adults and then suddenly their thoughts and opinions become valid?

stevemarks44 on
    edited September 2010
    Personally I just think of "hipster" as a fashion demographic

So It Goes on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

CVS guy?

yes...

we smoked a jay on top of the crotan river dam which was pretty awesome actually. and he held it to my lips which was pretty smooth.

but I think he was too high because he got weirded out at the 7-11 as there were tons of cops there and then asked to be taken home.

Awww...

Well I hope you guys go on another date.

And then have wild awesome sex
    and a nice fulfilling relationship of course

MikeMan on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jkosh I told you last thread

Come to PAX

Nocturne on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, I really want a cookie but all there is is carrot cake. Which is delicious, but that last piece is not mine and even if it were it is not a cookie and I want a cookie.

My life is terrible. I'm considering joining the circus.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hating hipsters is just as trendy as being one

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    I still don't like hipsters mike
    EDDY

i am bad at starcrafts eddy :(

what league are you these days?

are you watchin' them videos? I'm getting stuck in plat right now. need to step up my game!

Casual Eddy on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    This conversation is relevant as I have to write a paper about Duchamp tonight

what are you going to say?

duchamp is the fucking BEST. he was so good at modern art that he went "man, this shit is boring now. I'mma play chess" and he dedicated his life to chess and didn't produce a single artistic piece for like 20 years.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    IT'S TOO FUCKING HOT.

I KNOW, RIGHT

IT'S 112 FUCKING DEGREES

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT SHIT

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tarranon has such a bizarre sense of me.

do not!

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

CVS guy?

yes...

Your life sounds like an indie movie.

stevemarks44 on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

CVS guy?

yes...

This is why I say smoking is a third date activity, at least.

Kilroy on
    edited September 2010
    I still don't like hipsters mike
    EDDY

i am bad at starcrafts eddy :(

what league are you these days?

are you watchin' them videos? I'm getting stuck in plat right now. need to step up my game!
    I am still in Bronze. :(

I watch lots of videos and I enjoy the game but it is hard to get my mechanics good enough!

MikeMan on
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

CVS guy?

yes...

Awww...

Well I hope you guys go on another date.

And then have wild awesome sex
    and a nice fulfilling relationship of course

he's really, really good looking. like I assumed he would be really stupid he's that good looking

Casual Eddy on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

you also had old people who said that young people wasn’t producing anything of value

now it’s your turn to be that douche

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

CVS guy?

yes...

I HATE INDIE MOVIES

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    this girl on Attack of The Show is cute but she kinda has rabbit teeth

Name/pics or this musing is useless.

stevemarks44 on
    edited September 2010
    pods <3<3<3

MikeMan on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Like, I was drinking shots of 100 proof rye for five hours, and I'm reading half these posts and going "man what are you guys fucking wasted or something?"

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited September 2010
    this girl on Attack of The Show is cute but she kinda has rabbit teeth

Name/pics or this musing is useless.

well if I knew I'd show you

she's blond, has pretty short hair

kinda like second-key to Olivia Munn

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

CVS guy?

yes...

I know right? strange thing is whenever shit like this happens it doesn't feel special, it's just feels like more shit that I'm doing.

Casual Eddy on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, I really want a cookie but all there is is carrot cake. Which is delicious, but that last piece is not mine and even if it were it is not a cookie and I want a cookie.

My life is terrible. I'm considering joining the circus.

My life has been a roller coaster these past few days- cupcakes led to brownies led to carrot cake led to cookies

but now all of it is gone

and i am left with nothing
    nothing but diabeetus

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    that was a strange date

CVS guy?

yes...

I HATE INDIE MOVIES

Your av/sig beg to differ.

stevemarks44 on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    hating hipsters is just as trendy as being one

no shit, dude

it would be pretty weird if some guy on a pennyfarthing bicycle a hundred years ago was all "man, fuck hipsters"

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »
    IT'S TOO FUCKING HOT.

I KNOW, RIGHT

IT'S 112 FUCKING DEGREES

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT SHIT

Man fuck the desert. Why can't they let you guys fight people in a nice temperate climate amirite?

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

you also had old people who said that young people wasn’t producing anything of value

But he never said that

In fact a few minutes ago he explicitly said he wasn't saying that

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate everyone and no one.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited September 2010

But he never said that

don't let your facts get in the way of the righteous rage

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have wonderful senses...about everything!

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    And all of them actually produced culture. Hipsters seem to do little more then to sort through the refuse pile of cultures gone by.

Problem One: If hipsters hadn't produced a culture, by what rubric would you then accredit hipsterism to someone?
    Problem Two: How have other subcultures created other cultures by any means other than re-appropriating the detritus of mainstream culture?

Problem One: Adapting a mixture of various other cultures allow for the creation of a culture. That does not mean that the culture produces anything of value.
    Problem Two: By altering it. Punk took Rock and Roll and added the anger of their period. This give something unique to them. Hipsters value the exact opposite. They aren't a creative subculture.

p1: but those very values are only measured, in turn, by the current cultural measurements. If they aren't producing anything of value, perhaps you have to actually analyze what is "valued" and in turn what the cultural implications of that are.
    p2: This seems pretty ridiculous. How is "adding anger of the period" altering rock and roll, and how is that adding value. This is a fluff answer, and I do not accept it as valid. What about the thousands of artists who are producing art of far greater cultural value than the punks. Give me a punk artist, and I guarantee you that I can submit a quote hipster unquote (whatever that may mean) whose work is, GASP, shockingly more culturally creative than a punk artist, or at least as much so.

This is such a silly argument, D&D, and I am surprised that you are carrying on like this. Culture and Subculures are rarely anything other than net-neutral -- gains here and losses there which merely alter the course of life, both for better and for worse.

Sure, they are valued on current cultural measurements. You can make up any bullshit measurement you like to defend them but based on the metrics of the last few centuries, they come up short. Admittedly, producing a cultural metric that assigns them value might actually lead them to create something. It would be pretty novel.

And you don't see how adding the anger of rebellion produced a kind of music and movement that differed from cultures that came before it? That it rejected the excesses of mainstream music and added a harder edge to it then music that came before? And you really think you can find a hipster artist that you seriously believe will have as much long term impact on any kind of art as say the Ramones?

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    Like, I was drinking shots of 100 proof rye for five hours, and I'm reading half these posts and going "man what are you guys fucking wasted or something?"

Let me see that fancy footwork

So It Goes on
    edited September 2010

But he never said that

He specifically said they produce nothing of value and they just appropriate other cultures negatively.

If that's not the stupidest generalization of the year I'm Vince with the Slap Chop.

MikeMan on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wait fuck i have a tumblr

does that make me a hipster

Arch on
    edited September 2010
    the dam is pretty fucking cool though

it's the second largest handmade structure after the pyramids apparently?

Casual Eddy on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The woman you are talking about is Alison Haislip which is the new Olivia Munn basically because Olivia Munn never does AOTS anymore.

Sometimes it's Jessica Chobot though. And then sometimes it's some lady named Carrie Keegan.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    This conversation is relevant as I have to write a paper about Duchamp tonight

what are you going to say?

duchamp is the fucking BEST. he was so good at modern art that he went "man, this shit is boring now. I'mma play chess" and he dedicated his life to chess and didn't produce a single artistic piece for like 20 years.

It's the first paper in my Freshman comp class, 2-3 pages, so nothing really in-depth

Basically an "is it art?" evaluation looking at L.H.O.O.Q.

My answer is yes.

Nocturne on
This discussion has been closed.