As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Playstation Store - NA: Valkyria Chronicles 2, Castle Crash PAL: Alien Breed, FM3

1565758596062»

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Maybe someday we can see a Breath of Death PSN port too...

Not likely since we're not planning on doing any PSN stuff for the immediate future and really old ports tend to bomb hard. But hey, we might decide to go multi-platform at some point so you might get future Zeboyd Games RPGs on the PSN.

RainbowDespair on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Castle Crashers reminds me a hell of a lot of a 4 player Battletoads.

Add me and lets smash fools!! goobatron3030

earthwormadam on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    David_T wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    It's pretty shitty that Sony is putting demos up that you can't download unless you're a + member.

No, no, as a + member, early access to demos is by far the least they could do.

Just curious, do the + demos become free eventually?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It's pretty shitty that Sony is putting demos up that you can't download unless you're a + member.

Unless I'm missing something, they have so far.

Diarmuid on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Diarmuid wrote: »

I'd hope so, otherwise that would defeat the purpose of a demo (i.e., get people to guy the game).

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks to Diarmuid for the PAL update so I don't have to do the breakdown.

Comic store, however:
    * 2000AD Prog # 1695
    * The Authority # 8
    * Bone # 2
    * Captain America (2004) #43 – #48
    * Castlevania: The Belmont Legacy #1 – #5
    * DMZ # 20
    * Ex Machina # 7
    * Fables # 22
    * Gen13 # 28
    * Green Lantern: No Fear # 4
    * The Hammer # 2
    * Haven #1 – #4
    * High Moon # 8
    * Jonah Hex # 20
    * Kane & Lynch # 1
    * The Lexian Chronicles # 12
    * Mickey Mouse and The River of Time #1 & #2
    * Monsters, Inc.
    * Night Owls # 4
    * Planetary # 9
    * Raising Amy # 2
    * RASL # 2
    * Sonic Universe #5 & #6
    * Starcraft # 2
    * Stormwatch PHD # 20
    * Street Code # 3
    * Superduck # 16
    * Transformers # 9
    * Welcome to Tranquility # 1
    * Wildcats # 8
    * Y: The Last Man # 5

These last Comic updates have been great. No region exclusives or anything. (Or I missed them.)

Also, of note is that Sony announced a Music-thingy.
    Today at IFA 2010 in Berlin, Sony announced that Music Unlimited Powered by Qriocity, a cloud-based digital music service, will be coming to PlayStation 3 later this year.

The service will give you access to millions of songs that are stored and synchronised through the cloud and can be accessed via PS3, BRAVIA TVs, Blu-ray Disc players, Blu-ray Home Theatre systems and VAIO computers, with one single account and without the need to manage digital files.

Further details, including exactly when and in which countries Music Unlimited Powered by Qriocity will launch, will be announced soon.

“We are excited to offer our customers high quality, cloud-based entertainment experiences across many of Sony’s network-enabled devices,” said Kazuo Hirai, President of Networked Products & Services Group, Sony Corporation. “Services ‘powered by Qriocity’ will revolutionize the way that users play, listen, watch, share, communicate, learn, discover and create their digital entertainment content.”

We’ll share any further details here on the PlayStation Blog as and when we receive them

So, details are slim, but this is part of that One Network for All idea they talked about a while ago. It was just mentioned in the PAL blog, as well, so I don't know if it's going to stay there like most of the other 'apps' or if it'll be more widespread.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but Castle Crashers hurts my eyes if I play it for more then 15 minutes...

Lots of good releases this week and some good sales. Almost makes up for the lack of Dead Rising: Case Zero. I am tempted by Worms for $6, even though I just bought it on Steam. How is the PSone version of Theme Hospital?

I recommend Digger for $6. Game is awesome, I have a lot of nostalgia for the game since the PC original was one of the first games I ever played.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Diarmuid wrote: »

I'd hope so, otherwise that would defeat the purpose of a demo (i.e., get people to guy the game).

So far the only + demos have been Kane & Lynch and RUSE, I think the Kane & Lynch demo was available Monday instead of Tuesday US or Wednesday Europe, while the RUSE demo might have been an entire week early.

I'm really hoping they start adding access to betas or something, but currently they're having enough trouble getting the stuff up they actually announced.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Today at IFA 2010 in Berlin, Sony announced that Music Unlimited Powered by Qriocity, a cloud-based digital music service, will be coming to PlayStation 3 later this year.

The service will give you access to millions of songs that are stored and synchronised through the cloud and can be accessed via PS3, BRAVIA TVs, Blu-ray Disc players, Blu-ray Home Theatre systems and VAIO computers, with one single account and without the need to manage digital files.

Further details, including exactly when and in which countries Music Unlimited Powered by Qriocity will launch, will be announced soon.

“We are excited to offer our customers high quality, cloud-based entertainment experiences across many of Sony’s network-enabled devices,” said Kazuo Hirai, President of Networked Products & Services Group, Sony Corporation. “Services ‘powered by Qriocity’ will revolutionize the way that users play, listen, watch, share, communicate, learn, discover and create their digital entertainment content.”

We’ll share any further details here on the PlayStation Blog as and when we receive them

So, details are slim, but this is part of that One Network for All idea they talked about a while ago. It was just mentioned in the PAL blog, as well, so I don't know if it's going to stay there like most of the other 'apps' or if it'll be more widespread.

Goddammit Sony can't you stop trying to push your media bullshit for one year? Everybody else just wants to make games machines, but you're constantly trying to tell Playstation owners that they want new formats and subscription-based DLC models and cloud computing. This is why people hack around your firmware, because of shit like this.

Kreutz on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Goddammit Sony can't you stop trying to push your media bullshit for one year? Everybody else just wants to make games machines, but you're constantly trying to tell Playstation owners that they want new formats and subscription-based DLC models and cloud computing. This is why people hack around your firmware, because of shit like this.
    No. They do it because they want to play games that cost money for free, or games that they own without carrying a disc around. No one's forcing you to use these services, I'm not sure why you're so enraged.

JAEF on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Front Mission 3? That's available in the US, right? Because I want FM3 really really bad.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    Front Mission 3? That's available in the US, right? Because I want FM3 really really bad.

It's not, unfortunately. First time any of the Front Mission games have gone on any PSN Store that wasn't the Japan one.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

What are you even bitching about? I've no interest in this service but it's not like they're forcing you to join this or removing MP3 support.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I picked up a bluetooth headset for multiplayer (I got a deal on the official Sony one), and the included USB cable is like five inches long.

Lame.

It's nice being able to talk to people in game though.

SmokeStacks on
    edited September 2010
    I picked up a bluetooth headset for multiplayer (I got a deal on the official Sony one), and the included USB cable is like five inches long.

Lame.

It's nice being able to talk to people in game though.

Yeah, the USB cord with it sucks, but, honestly, you just put the dock next to the PS3 and you'll never have to use it again (outside of pairing it to the system, which goddamned if I could find my manual or find out how to do it when I got my PS3 back from Sony months ago.)

Darth_Mogs on
    edited September 2010
    For pairing with the official bluetooth headset it works like nearly every other bluetooth headset. Make sure it's off (no lights on/blinking) and hold the power button down for ~10 seconds until it's blinking rapidly. Then search for it from PS3/Phone/Penis, passcode is always 0000 and you're done.

JAEF on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just got an email from NIS that says that Cladun: This is an RPG will be out on the PSN on September 21st.

I still haven't gotten Ys 7 or Valkyria Chronicles 2 yet, I don't need another promising RPG!

RainbowDespair on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I got Ys 7 and have run around the starting town for like an hour and can't figure out what the fuck to do. However now that I have Valkyria Chronicles 2 I won't be touching Ys 7 for a while anyway.

VC2 super mini review. Combat changes are good, but so far game is too easy. New main character sucks ass and story is worse, but game has a lot more content. (new items, upgrade paths etc)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    greeble wrote: »
    I got Ys 7 and have run around the starting town for like an hour and can't figure out what the fuck to do. However now that I have Valkyria Chronicles 2 I won't be touching Ys 7 for a while anyway.

VC2 super mini review. Combat changes are good, but so far game is too easy. New main character sucks ass and story is worse, but game has a lot more content. (new items, upgrade paths etc)

Some people on the XSEED facebook page had the same problem in Ys 7. Go to the central part of town, the one with the flower girl (lol FF7 lol), leave, and come back. That should get you started.

Renzo on
  • kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dear Sony, I want better communication (instead of yet another music service, who can honestly compete with itunes at this point?) features for the PS3. Something on the same level as the Xbox 360 would really make me hard in the pants. Thanks in advance.

kyleh613 on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    greeble wrote: »

Some people on the XSEED facebook page had the same problem in Ys 7. Go to the central part of town, the one with the flower girl (lol FF7 lol), leave, and come back. That should get you started.

This is gonna sound kinda retarded but can I DL psp games and just play them on the PS3 with a pad?

It seems like a pretty sweet idea and completely possible, but I've never tried.

Kazaka on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some (but not all) Playstation Minis can be played on the PSP or PS3. All PS1 classics may be played on either the PSP or PS3. PSP games can only be played on the PSP, but if you have a PSP Go you can pair a Dual Shock 3 to the controller and play it using that.

Dehumanized on
    edited September 2010
    All PS1 Classics except for Delta Force: Urban Warfare, which wouldn't be playable on the PSP because it utilizes every single button on the PS1 controller (even L3 and R3).

A friend loaned me a copy for the PS1 years ago, long enough to play through it. I remember it being really good.

SmokeStacks on
    edited September 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »
    This is gonna sound kinda retarded but can I DL psp games and just play them on the PS3 with a pad?

It seems like a pretty sweet idea and completely possible, but I've never tried.

Nope, very requested feature, and Sony knows people want this, but it's not possible right now. Hopefully someday, but I think it'll ultimately be up to the developer. I doubt many developers would want you playing their PSP games on the big screen.

There was talk from Konami about bringing Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker to the PS3 though.

kyleh613 on
    edited September 2010
    I think the main stumbling block to playing PSP games on a PS3 was that it would take a significant chunk out of PSP hardware sales, which is one of the few strong points the PSP has (from a business standpoint).

SmokeStacks on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty sure I've chimed in before in this thread on the topic but why not again :P

If the theory that PSP sales are good but sales of PSP games are terrible (piracy) you would think developers would be all for it. How many hardware sales would Sony realistically lose to those who want to pay for games but not interested in another platform at this point in the PSP life-span? If the Go wasn't released I think we'd be closer to seeing this feature and I'd be able to play VC2 :(

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    edited September 2010
    I'm sure developers would love it, since it would broaden their audience and bring their already finished games to a platform that is considerably more secure.

To our knowledge there is nothing stopping a company from redeveloping a game that was originally released for the PSP into a PS3 game (just look at GripShift), but it seems most developers just want some form of emulation so they can have a quick and easy way to double their potential audience. The emulation aspect is the thing that Sony isn't keen on, since it would take away a major impetus for buying a PSP if games like Peace Walker and Crisis Core and Chains of Olympus were easily available on the PS3.

They're viewing the PSP partially as a handheld game system, and partially as the first entrant in a longterm hardware franchise. Boosting software sales (mostly third party) at the expense of lowering hardware sales (solely first party) would be a bad business decision in general, let alone in a time when they are doing everything they can to position the PSP as the dominant handheld in as many gamer's hands as possible so that those gamers can go on to buy PSP2s and PSP3s and etc.

That said, I'd totally buy PSP games from the PSN store to play on my PS3 if the option was ever made available.

SmokeStacks on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just bought Joe Danger, is there some kind of thread for it? It's difficult to search for, what with "Joe" being under four characters.

Also whoever I have on PSN, yeah, I'm kicking your arse at this game score wise.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited September 2010
    Of course, the one week in the last few that I'm able to post The Drop on time, and it's balls.
    PlayStation Network

TerRover – TerRover’s gameplay is based on navigating a terrain rover through over forty stages of puzzling arcade levels in five different 2-D art styles including the icy vistas of Congelata. TerRover features three local multiplayer modes for up to four people, leaderboards and PlayStation Network trophies.

PlayStation minis

Ace Armstrong vs. the Alien Scumbags! – This is a fast-paced horizontally scrolling shooter with a unique, slapstick take on the best of 50s and 60s sci-fi movies and cartoons. The game features a unique weapons system: instead of collecting power-ups, Ace must down enemies using the incredible power of the Recyl-o-Ray! before turning the Scumbags’ own weapons against them!

The first week I did it, I included everything, which was slightly silly since this is for the stuff that goes on PSN, not everything Playstation that gets released. So I'll keep it to Network and Minis unless there's a PSOne Classic or a pre-confirmed PSP title for DD. (If UFC Undisputed 2010 is supposed to get a PSN release as well, I'm not sure, but probably.)

Also, since we're closing in on the 100 Page mark, does anyone want to take a crack at the next thread? I have no problem taking it, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes if they want to. (I'd advise, though, if someone else volunteers, that you reserve an extra post or even two at the start, since the Updates take a lot of pruning to keep under the character limits with the rest of the stuff in the post too.)

Darth_Mogs on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    Dear Sony, I want better communication (instead of yet another music service, who can honestly compete with itunes at this point?) features for the PS3. Something on the same level as the Xbox 360 would really make me hard in the pants. Thanks in advance.

I somehow doubt Sony work on just one feature at a time. They'll have multiple teams working on different services and features simultaneously. Just because one's working on a feature you don't care about, doesn't mean another one you do care about isn't getting worked on.
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    Nope, very requested feature, and Sony knows people want this, but it's not possible right now. Hopefully someday, but I think it'll ultimately be up to the developer. I doubt many developers would want you playing their PSP games on the big screen.

If it isn't possible on the PS3 hardware then it's never happening. The current PSP emulator that's being used to play minis is apparently pretty subpar but gets by because minis are pretty limited.

And even if they did add it, you'd only be able to play a select amount of games. None of the PSP games on the PS Store are licensed for PS3 release, so each would have to be relicensed before they'd work on it. And then there are emulation issues which'd have to be ironed out, one of the main reasons why PS1 games take forever to come to the store.

I agree it'd be a smart addition but realistically, it's probably not happening.

Anyway, Darth_Mogs you've done a great job with the thread so I think you should just make the next one.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited September 2010
    No, what I meant was, Sony doesn't allow you to play PSP games right now (on your PS3), but that I think they could. They just likely never will. And like you pointed out too Unco-ordinated, the whole thing seems like it would be a mess and/or take a real long time before any games that people really want to play, are available.

PSPs are pretty cheap now, you can usually get a used one for around $100.

kyleh613 on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Yeah! Fuck you Sony for trying to offer cool services that um make life easier and more fun for home consum-

Wait, why are hating on Sony here?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Wait, why are hating on Sony here?

Because It Only Does Everything.

SmokeStacks on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think Sony's been pretty solid lately. My complaints:

- The PS3 and PSP XMB both suck. Seriously, even rudimentary user interfaces going back to Windows 3.11 let me manually rearrange icons and shit. I own enough downloaded games and videos at this point that I would like some kind of manual sort and a different view than "icon list." I know you can group icons in various methods, but that's just not enough.

- More PSX games, please. Namely, more RPGs. Namely, more Atlus and Squeenix RPGs. Get off yer asses. You've finally gotten through all the Crash Bandicoots, now get a move on with some better stuff.

That's about it. I think Sony is doing pretty good now. 2-3 years ago I was laughing at them. I scoffed at Blu-Ray (over HD-DVD, at least). Sony sucked. They usually do in the beginning. They clearly haven't overtaken Microsoft and I doubt they will any time soon if ever, but trying to offer consumers a nifty little music package doesn't garner any hatred from me.

I'm kind of excited about Move. I never use my Wii, probably because I can't get it working properly on my monitor and I rarely ever turn on my PC. 480p is soooo 2007.

edit: No, even way before Windows 3.11. I remember being able to do that with Amiga Workbench. I even wrote an application in Microsoft Access that lets the user drag and drop icons. I'm pretty sure it's a fucking graphical user interface fundamental.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can manually get games to group into sub-categories of your construction, but it's pretty labor-intensive for something that should be simple and obvious in its necessity.

"Well, we don't need to make having a large quantity of PSN games user-friendly, because we apparently don't expect anyone to buy any of this shit!"

Also the hate on Sony for Qriocity is because the release for it is nothing but bullshit jargon, and what that bullshit jargon hints at isn't all that exciting. Oh boy, I'll be able to have cloud-syncing for Sony-only music and movie files across a few devices, most of which are fucking awful to watch movies on! I'd better change my pants, as I have just SHIT THE FUCK OUT OF THEM in excitement!

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited September 2010
    The PSX thing is really out of Sonys hands. Its completely up to developers to provide that stuff. The North American PSN Store is pretty lackluster, but the Japanese store is filled with a lot of really good PSX games. So if you know Japanese you are in heaven, the rest of us have to wait.

The XMB I agree needs a lot of work though.

I overlook everything though on account of exclusives being better then anything on the Xbox 360. At least as far as my tastes in games go. If I got a 360, the only thing I would want to play on it is Forza 3.

kyleh613 on
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    - More PSX games, please. Namely, more RPGs. Namely, more Atlus and Squeenix RPGs. Get off yer asses. You've finally gotten through all the Crash Bandicoots, now get a move on with some better stuff.

Sony doesn't control the PS1 Classics that are released on the PSN Store, it's up to individual companies to decide whether or not they want to re-release PS1 games. The biggest roadblocks are

1.) The legal clusterfuck involved when you're trying to sort out licensing on a ten to fifteen year old game (this is why you don't really see PS1 games on the PSN store that had extensive soundtracks from multiple artists). This is why you'll see Crash Bandicoot 1-3 since they were all done by the same company, but you'll see Rally Cross (developed by Sony), but not Rally Cross 2 (developed by Idol Minds).

and

2.) The massive QA work that is required

and

3.) The estimated risk vs reward, the hope that enough people would buy the game from the PSN to offset the costs of 1 and 2.

The XMB is ok, but there are definitely some other things I would change. I don't need three different links to the PlayStation Store, for example.

SmokeStacks on
    edited September 2010
    The links to the PSS outside of the PSN vertical bar were added to do more advertising in an update, those aren't going away.

Yeah the only issues I have with the XMB are really games sorting, I have slightly over 100 downloaded PSN games and demos, having them all in one big list is somewhat obnoxious. I much prefer the way it's handled over the godawful XBox UI where it's some bullshit faux perspective crap and you can barely see anything at a glance. The ads actually hamper navigation instead of being tertiary.

JAEF on
    edited September 2010
    New Thread, guys! Gonna be working on it for a bit but feel free to carry over to it.

Darth_Mogs on