As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's go [Back to the Future] with Telltale

C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Horrible OP for first thread ever. I'm so proud. :o

bttfgame0831xlargejpg.jpg

It's about time, McFly. A video game based on the Back to the Future movies is in the works.

Being developed by Telltale Games, the Back to the Future game series will include the likenesses of Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, who portrayed the characters Marty McFly and Doc Brown in the films, which listed Steven Spielberg among the executive producers. (Lloyd will also provide his voice for the games.)

Bob Gale, who wrote the screenplays for the three films, is working with the game developers on the plot for the planned five "episodes". Telltale's recent releases include a series of Sam & Max games available for download on Xbox Live, the PlayStation Network and for computers at http://www.telltalegames.com.

As for the storyline, Telltale would confirm that the games would include an appearance of the DeLorean time machine and, the fictional California setting of Hill Valley. The time periods covered will include 1985 and additional characters from the movies will crop up in the game.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/08/telltale-games-times-back-to-the-future-project/1?csp=34

Telltale?
Llyod as VA?
An awesome Back to the Future Adventure Game?

Great Scott!

C2B on

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wonder how they'll have the Delorean in the game. The movies don't really leave any kind of gap where it could take place between them or anything.

Also wonder if they'll make reference to how close we are to 2015 and how many Jaws sequels need to come out in the next few years.

Lars on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If this does not have Marty dodging clocks or people moving back and forth with glass panes I am going to be furious.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    If this does not have Marty dodging clocks or people moving back and forth with glass panes I am going to be furious.

That's going to be in the hoverboard minigame.:P

C2B on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So is it a retelling of the movies or something original?
    And if it's original, will it follow the cartoon (which took place after the movies)?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    So is it a retelling of the movies or something original?
    And if it's original, will it follow the cartoon (which took place after the movies)?

It's an original story and we don't know as of yet if it includes charachters from the cartoon.

Edit: Nope. They pretty much ignore the cartoon and focuse on movie established cannon.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, to be honest, I don't remember if there were any other characters. I mean, Doc and the teachers' kids were older (early grade school) and Einie had a glove so he could actually use items.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm really looking forward to this. I actually only just started playing episode 1 of The Devil's Playhouse last night, and wow, the production values at Telltale increased on that one. Can't wait to see how this game turns out.

I'm hoping that they also get Tom Wilson.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Shouldn't be too difficult. I don't think he's working much and he loved playing all the incarnations of Biff (according to an old interview I read a couple of years ago). Heck I think in the cartoon he play all the Tannen ancestors as well.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Biff Answers Questions

He seems like a cool guy.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He made Wing Commander 3 awesome(r).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I really liked him in WC4 as well, and yeah he's an awesome dude. That interview I mentioned? It also had his list of works along with some choice tidbits that he remembered. He was in a lot of movies but a lot of them had either a * or + next to them. * meant "I don't remember a whole lot about this project" and + meant "I just did it for the paycheck."

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tom Wilson is great, and it'd be wonderful if they got him for this

The only non-BttF related thing I've seen him in was Freaks and Geeks, in which he played a gym teacher that thought Rocky II was the greatest film ever made because of how in shape Carl Weathers was.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Automatic JackAutomatic Jack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That illustration is getting me all hot and bothered. Love those character designs.

Automatic Jack on
    PAsig.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That illustration is getting me all hot and bothered. Love those character designs.

Agreed. It makes me sad the game itself will almost certainly be in 3D instead of gorgeous hand-drawn 2D animation in that style.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Son of a bitch, Tom Wilson is Matt Bluestone in Gargoyles.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't wait for the driving part of the game where you have to dodge [strike]terrorists[/strike] vaguely Middle Eastern men shooting RPGs at you...

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "It's your kids Mary, something has to be done about your kids!"

I'm excited, even though I never get far in these telltale games. The 80s are ripe for parody.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    He made Wing Commander 3 awesome(r).

Whatever you say, plebe.

Captain K on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHBVqOWT9Z4

Guess I know what that refers to now. :P

Wow, Maniac's a jerk in WCP.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So is this just PC? All three consoles? iPhone? Toaster?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently Tom Wilson is a nice guy who based Biff on bullies who attacked him as a kid. He never gets tired of fans asking him to call them a butthead, though.

Anyway, I guess they could just make a game as a straight retelling of the movies. BTTF3 is basically a large point and click game with needless contrivances like a broken car.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    USE WAKE-UP JUICE WITH DOC BROWN

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If you don't give Doc Brown the bulletproof vest in the first part of the game it goes into an unwinnable state.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Man, fuck Sierra and that shit. That's why I loved Lucasarts more.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Marty reaches toward the door of the DeLorean. He can feel a chill coming from the body of the car. Marty touches the DeLorean, and instantly regrets his decision. He tries to pull his arm back, but it's too late for that now. A flash of cold comes over Marty as he is frozen solid.

Well Marty, Doc always thought the time machine could use a hood ornament.

Restore Restart Quit

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How were the C64 Back to the Future games back in the day, by the way? I heard they were pretty good.

C2B on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It would be awesome if a whole game was made with that 2d artwork.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, it's supposed to be point-and-click, and it looks like the scenario will be original, rather than a retelling of the movies.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Makes me think of Day of the Tentacle, and that's nothing but awesome.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    JohnDoe wrote: »

Well, it's gonna be done in 3D with TellTale's engine but it's still the concept art. So, it will be similiar.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh, maybe the games will shed light on how Marty and Doc Brown know each other. It's always been a source of confusion and fodder for pedophile enthusiasts.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited September 2010
    If I knew a scientist that made such an awesome dog-food dispenser, I'd be friends with him too

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    C2B wrote: »

Well, it's gonna be done in 3D with TellTale's engine but it's still the concept art. So, it will be similiar.

Well, not really. Look at the 2D artwork in Tales of Monkey Island - looks way more awesome than the 3d game engine.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Well, not really. Look at the 2D artwork in Tales of Monkey Island - looks way more awesome than the 3d game engine.

I said similiar. Not what it is in the end. It's concept art.

C2B on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, maybe the games will shed light on how Marty and Doc Brown know each other. It's always been a source of confusion and fodder for pedophile enthusiasts.

Marty knows Doc Brown because he met him in 1985 :) (insert time travel paradox)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yes. I said "It would be awesome if a whole game was made with that 2d artwork." As in, if they made a game with 2D art. Not make it into 3d. Do you understand what that means?

Saying "It will be similar!" adds nothing and has nothing to do with what I said.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yes. I said "It would be awesome if a whole game was made with that 2d artwork." As in, if they made a game with 2D art. Not make it into 3d. Do you understand what that means?

Saying "It will be similar!" adds nothing and has nothing to do with what I said.

Please look at the bolded part then at my statement. See, where the problem is?

Also you don't really seem to grasp the idea of concept art. Anyway, yes 2D would be cool but it comes in the end down to personal taste.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Please look at the bolded part then at my statement. See, where the problem is?

Also you don't really seem to grasp the idea of concept art. Anyway, yes 2D would be cool but it comes in the end down to personal taste.

I see the concept art. I like the concept art. I would like a game based around 2D concept art (that is actually 2D). You see, I know that 3d graphics made from concept art looks very different, because this is always the case. So saying "It will be similar to that concept art except in 3D!" as a response to my quoted post, is completely irrelevant.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Interesting choice of IP for their next game. I look forward to this.

Which reminds me, I still need to beat ep. 5 of tales of monkey island.

Also, a bit off topic, but still relevant:

Edit: Also, they're apparently going to do Jurassic Park as well. But that's not nearly as cool at BttF. Unless it was a cross-over.

Hmm...

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Marty! You gotta go back and save this thread! Biff is going to get your son into an argument about concept art of a game that barely exists yet!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png