As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UPDATED - Another oil rig explodes in Gulf; Coast Guard reports no spill

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Before today, Mariner Energy's Wikipedia entry consisted of 3 sentences, but apparently is worth about 2.7 billion (Apache Corp was looking to buy them for that, but are probably rethinking that decision today).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks MKR - quoting that in OP.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    August 31, 2010 – Due to the pending merger of Mariner Energy, Inc. with a subsidiary of Apache Corporation, Mariner Energy is no longer posting monthly production updates on its website. Consummation of the merger remains subject to approval by Mariner’s stockholders.

Weird timing. D:

edit:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/business/13views.html
    But with a market capitalization of about $29 billion and only $2 billion in cash on hand, Apache might not find it easy to digest a big deal. Nor is it coming to the table with an empty gut. Just days before BP’s Gulf of Mexico rig explosion in April, Apache snapped up Mariner Energy for $2.7 billion and bought $1 billion of assets from Devon Energy.

MKR on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At least this one wasn't the result of incompetence, penny pinching, failure of regulation, and coercion of regulators right?

override367 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    “I have been in the oil and gas industry for 40 years, and this administration is trying to break us,’’ said Barbara Dianne Hagood, senior landman for Mariner Energy, a small company. “The moratorium they imposed is going to be a financial disaster for the gulf coast, gulf coast employees and gulf coast residents.’’

Article is literally from the day before this rig exploded.

Link.

It's liberal sabotage. Again.

It's the Left. Communist North Korean submarines strike again.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Before today, Mariner Energy's Wikipedia entry consisted of 3 sentences, but apparently is worth about 2.7 billion (Apache Corp was looking to buy them for that, but are probably rethinking that decision today).

The internet largely doesn't care about large companies that operate more or less behind the scenes in 'boring' industries like energy, mining, etc.

Robman on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »
    “I have been in the oil and gas industry for 40 years, and this administration is trying to break us,’’ said Barbara Dianne Hagood, senior landman for Mariner Energy, a small company. “The moratorium they imposed is going to be a financial disaster for the gulf coast, gulf coast employees and gulf coast residents.’’

Article is literally from the day before this rig exploded.

Link.

It's liberal sabotage. Again.

It's the Left. Communist North Korean submarines strike again.

Mini-Subs. Operated by North Korean Suicide Sniper Commandos.

Drake on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    August 31, 2010 – Due to the pending merger of Mariner Energy, Inc. with a subsidiary of Apache Corporation, Mariner Energy is no longer posting monthly production updates on its website. Consummation of the merger remains subject to approval by Mariner’s stockholders.

Weird timing. D:

edit:
    But with a market capitalization of about $29 billion and only $2 billion in cash on hand, Apache might not find it easy to digest a big deal. Nor is it coming to the table with an empty gut. Just days before BP’s Gulf of Mexico rig explosion in April, Apache snapped up Mariner Energy for $2.7 billion and bought $1 billion of assets from Devon Energy.

i'm willing to chalk that up to coincidence

it'd be too conspiracy-theory to start bringing other companies' mergers and actions into the BP leak before the leak even happened

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Industrial accidents happen all the time yo, conspiracy theories are good for the bar but nobody every really takes them seriously.

I mean you could be like HURFADURF BP DISASTER CONSPIRACY ETC or you could be like 'a few safety oversights in a cut-throat subcontractor environment led to a catastrophic cascade of failures of failsafes...'

Robman on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Industrial accidents happen all the time yo, conspiracy theories are good for the bar but nobody every really takes them seriously.

I mean you could be like HURFADURF BP DISASTER CONSPIRACY ETC or you could be like 'a few safety oversights in a cut-throat subcontractor environment led to a catastrophic cascade of failures of failsafes...'

Hahahaha.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At least this one wasn't the result of incompetence, penny pinching, failure of regulation, and coercion of regulators right?
    Obviously a case of over-regulation.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Hahahaha.

My apologies. Nobody that actually matters.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Hahahaha.

You must not watch cspan.

MKR on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Coast guard is reporting a "'slight sheen' that measured 'one nautical mile by 100 feet.'" via ABC.

And it looks like it was in production (from same link):
    According to the Coast Guard, the rig platform was fixed in 340 feet of water and the rig was in production at the time of the fire. Workers have told authorities that they had started emergency shutdown procedures before evacuating.

The platform does not have a standard blow-out preventer, a safety mechanism used to seal gas and oil wells, according to the Coast Guard.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Press release: http://ir.mariner-energy.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=129671&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1466493&highlight=
    Mariner Energy, Inc. (NYSE: ME) confirms that a fire has occurred at a production platform located on Vermilion Block 380, approximately 100 miles from the Louisiana coast. All 13 members of the crew have been evacuated and safely accounted for. No injuries have been reported. In an initial flyover, no hydrocarbon spill was reported.

Mariner has notified and is working with regulatory authorities in response to this incident. The cause is not known, and an investigation will be undertaken. During the last week of August 2010, production from this facility averaged approximately 9.2 million cubic feet of natural gas per day and 1,400 barrels of oil and condensate. Updated information will be provided as available.

MKR on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Coast guard is reporting a "'slight sheen' that measured 'one nautical mile by 100 feet.'" via ABC.

And it looks like it was in production (from same link):
    According to the Coast Guard, the rig platform was fixed in 340 feet of water and the rig was in production at the time of the fire. Workers have told authorities that they had started emergency shutdown procedures before evacuating.

The platform does not have a standard blow-out preventer, a safety mechanism used to seal gas and oil wells, according to the Coast Guard.

The first explosion was tragic, and while this is as well some part of me finds this utterly hilarious given the time frame.

nstf on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At least apparently nobody died in this one. That's good to hear.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So we went from "not producing" to "there's oil in the water" to "oh, yeah, btw we were producing."

I'm pretty sure that's grounds for testicle stomping.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Guys. Guys! STOP BLOWING UP YOUR OIR RIGS!

JESUS PEOPLE IT'S NOT 4TH OF JULY!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    So we went from "not producing" to "there's oil in the water" to "oh, yeah, btw we were producing."

If I understand this correctly, it's not a well. It's an offshore refinery, which I assume pipes in stuff from other wells.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »

If I understand this correctly, it's not a well. It's an offshore refinery, which I assume pipes in stuff from other wells.

I'm unclear on it too, but I think it is a well, but is different from Deepwater Horizon in that it is fixed to the ocean floor, not floating tethered. I could wrong, so, yeah.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't know that this is the same thing, but it's called a production platform.

http://www.gepower.com/businesses/ge_oilandgas/en/applications/offprod_plat.htm
    What it is

An increasing portion of oil and gas production is coming from offshore fields. Advanced technologies now permit production from deepwater fields and from marginal fields.

In parallel, platform technologies are evolving from fixed platforms suited for shallow waters, to semi-submersible platforms (TLP, SPAR) and to Floating Production Units (FPU, FPSO). The latter reduce project lead-time, have higher performance flexibility, and may be moved from a depleted field to a new field, thus greatly reducing investments. They are the most common solution for deepwater and marginal fields.

Offshore platforms are equipped with the machinery needed to extract oil and natural gas but have some critical challenges that should not be underestimated. Thanks to its many years of worldwide experience, GE Oil & Gas can provide optimum technical solutions and the project management experience needed to maximize production while helping customers to meet or accelerate their "First Oil" date.
    How it works

Offshore production platforms/FPSO collect the hydrocarbons produced under the seabed by means of specially designed flow-lines and risers. The platform also contains the necessary monitoring & control equipment, and gear for furnishing electric and/or hydraulic power to the subsea equipment installed at the various field wells.

Power generation, compression and pumping equipment are generally installed on the platform. This machinery is used to collect the hydrocarbons and convey them to onshore receiving facilities, or for the re-injection of associated gas back into the well to enhance production.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    At least apparently nobody died in this one. That's good to hear.

Agreed.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11014645

BEEB says Department of Homeland Security says it wasn't producing any oil or gas says.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I understand at an intellectual level that this plus the BP rig in such rapid succession are not related and in reality do not indicate any sort of trend of damage greater than it ever was.

But god damn if it doesn't feel that way. If any politicians want to work up some anti-fossil-fuel support, this seems like the best opportunity in years.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I think it is just "this just happened and no one knows what is going on." I'm just taking it as wait-and-see while laughing at the timing. Because if I don't laugh I would probably cry.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I understand at an intellectual level that this plus the BP rig in such rapid succession are not related and in reality do not indicate any sort of trend of damage greater than it ever was.

But god damn if it doesn't feel that way. If any politicians want to work up some anti-fossil-fuel support, this seems like the best opportunity in years.

Or, you know, deregulation under Republican rule caused an already dangerous industry to become even more so.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11014645

BEEB says Department of Homeland Security says it wasn't producing any oil or gas says.

I could very well be missing it, but it looks like that's coming from a Mariner spokesperson.
    Mariner Energy Spokesman Patrick Cassidy told the CNN TV network the blast occurred "quite a ways away" from any wells.

Mr Cassidy confirmed the platform was not in production at the time of the explosion.
    Dunno who/what he's "confirming" with that.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Or, you know, deregulation under Republican rule caused an already dangerous industry to become even more so.

Nah, the number and quantity of oil spills has decreased enormously since the 1970s and has continued to fall since 2000. This year might be a little blip but the facts simply do not support the way it feels.

Luckily, politics don't care about the way things really are.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Hahahaha.

Nobody who actually matters watches cspan.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Hahahaha.

I was actually referring to senators and congresspeople.

MKR on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Hahahaha.

I was actually referring to senators and congresspeople.

Senators and Congress people don't matter.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

I think it is just "this just happened and no one knows what is going on." I'm just taking it as wait-and-see while laughing at the timing. Because if I don't laugh I would probably cry.

Coast Guard didn't get their memo from the execs yet

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm unclear on it too, but I think it is a well, but is different from Deepwater Horizon in that it is fixed to the ocean floor, not floating tethered. I could wrong, so, yeah.
    Where's gooey when you need him...

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »

Weird timing. D:

edit:

i'm willing to chalk that up to coincidence

it'd be too conspiracy-theory to start bringing other companies' mergers and actions into the BP leak before the leak even happened

Kind of like how Halliburton bought an oil-services company a week or two before Deepwater that received contracts to clean up the oil worth billions.

TL DR on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

Where's gooey when you need him...

it's thursday, so right now he's probably lighting orphans on fire

Rust on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fan-fucking-tastic, I'm sure the government is going to try to surpass the moratorium now and just try to shut down drilling completely.

:x

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fan-fucking-tastic, I'm sure the government is going to try to surpass the moratorium now and just try to shut down drilling completely.

You know the moratorium only affected like 13 sites or something. Heaven forbid the government should look into safety measures and practices after two fucking oil rigs explode.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You know the moratorium only affected like 13 sites or something. Heaven forbid the government should look into safety measures and practices after two fucking oil rigs explode.

That's not CAPITALIST.

If you stop any kind of production you are a SOCIALIST who thinks the government can waltz in and tell you what to do!

Keep on drilling!

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Two wells explode.

Reaction 1: "Maybe we should take a step back and look at this, guys."

Reaction 2: "WHAT?!? NO ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY?!? DRILL BABY GODDAMN DRILL!!"

OptimusZed on